When setting up an aquarium in your home, the act of decorating the aquarium is a beautiful art. Many people have a unique style of their own and they usually bring that style into their aquarium with the decorations they choose.
To be able to get the perfect decorations for your aquarium, you need to know what is in the market. One of the best decorations to go in an aquarium is driftwood, even though it’s not usually taken as a decoration.
Read on to discover the best aquarium driftwood for aquariums.
|NApremium Natural Cholla Wood||Best Overall|
|Fluval Mopani Driftwood||Budget Pick|
|Marina Decor||Upgrade Pick|
1. NApremium Natural Cholla Wood
- Each cholla wood piece is different, unique, and full of character
- Fills in crevices and fissures, giving a more natural look to the tank
- Looks great if kept outside of the tank and makes for an awesome display piece
- Definitely a conversation starter – your guests will love it!
- Perfect for small aquariums and freshwater tanks
- Helps filter out debris and toxins while supporting bio-diversity
- Can help treat Betta fish diseases
- Improves aeration of the tank water, while creating natural stability in the tank
- Acts as a natural food processor which can attract predatory fish
- Increases biodiversity in the tank by acting as a substrate for beneficial microorganisms
& Fish Shelter | Bonsai, Bonsai Driftwood, Jungle Wood.
2. SunGrow Shrimp Woods
If you’re looking for a live aquarium decor with a tropical feel, then you should definitely try the SunGrow Shrimp Woods. It’s made from Indian mahogany wood which is known for its rich color.
Pair the SunGrow shrimp woods with any color or size of aquarium. They make a great addition to the current environment.
This bundle comes contains 3 climbing logs and 1 clipper.
3. Marina Decor
This aquarium driftwood is well crafted out of natural wood and rocks. It’s a good addition to the Marina decor tide pool to create a natural sea environment. It’s absolutely safe for fish and plants. With the manual you’ll find it very easy to work with …… Really, it’s as easy as chips … Just peel … glue … and stick.
The size of the driftwood varies from 14-16 inches long where the largest piece is 1.5 inches in diameter.
Use the Marina Decor Driftwood to make an ideal natural home for your aquatic plants and fish. It’s important to note that foams and coatings pose a high risk of harm to fish and aquarium plants. So stick with natural driftwood.
4. Fluval Mopani Driftwood
- Reasonably priced
- Quality product for soft water
- Easy to place inside your aquarium
- First piece may be too large for some tanks
- Pieces may arrive warped
The Fluval Mopani is made from naturally-aged driftwood which comes from southern Africa. These pieces have been naturally preserved and will fit comfortably in many aquariums. The wood is packed with tannins which help to suppress any unwanted algae growth.
While this driftwood may be a bit smaller than some other options, it won’t be out of place. With many tanks having a low center of gravity, they may look a bit odd having large pieces of driftwood that go all the way to the top of the tank. Some owners also reported most of the pieces to be true-to-size.
The driftwood itself is dark brown in color and has some nice grain to it. The pieces are also quite smooth to the touch, unlike some other alternatives.
5. hygger Small Aquarium Ornament Poly Resin Wood Trunk Log Fish Tank Decoration
- Excellent price to value
- Realistic design
- Not painted, clear varnish only
- Easy to install and clean
- Light weight makes this easy to move
- Wood is from sustainable sources
This is a raw, unfinished piece of wood. It isn’t varnish, just clear coating at this point, so it doesn’t look too appealing in the box.
However, once you start cleaning off the natural oils on the wood, it becomes very attractive. You can actually leave it just the way it is, or you can rub it down, and it’ll have a beautiful finish. If you want to let the wood acquire a natural patina, you can just leave it to do its thing.
This is a great choice if you’re looking to finish the piece on your own and want it to look authentic. It’s also a great choice because it isn’t painted, even the inside, which is usually a different color.
6. SLOCME Aquarium Resin Wood Trunk Ornament
- Sleek and natural design
- Perfect for your Betta fish
- Easy to clean
- 3 sizes available
- Very small – won’t fit large or medium sized fish
- Some driftwood may contain harmful chemicals
Aquarium decorations are not the first thing that most people consider when shopping for a new tank. But adding the right accessories can make or break the overall look of your tank.
That’s why this resin driftwood by SLOCME is such a great option for your tank.
It’s designed to look realistic, while providing your fish with plenty of hiding spots.
7. Zoo Med Laboratories AZMMAS Mopani Wood
- 100% natural aquarium substrate
- Offers beneficial bacterial growth
- Just the perfect size
- Modulate the pH level to keep the water chemically stable
- Helps control ammonia and nitrates levels
- Fertilizes the tank naturally
- Helps remove toxic substances from the water
- Improves the water quality
- Improves plant growth
- Helps control algae growth in your tank
This beautiful and durable piece of wood is ideal for your aquarium. The Zoo Med Laboratories AZMMAS mopani wood, small, 6-8 inch is the perfect plant addition for any tank.
8. Saim Resin Stylish Driftwood Aquarium Fish Tank Decoration Ornament
- It comes with an ocean and beach-themed set-up
- The multi-color makes the aquarium more lively
- It’s relatively easy to clean up
- The artificial plants, stones, and sticks look good and doesn’t feel cheap
- It’s suitable for most types of aquariums
Compared to driftwood that’s found in nature, the “Saim Resin Stylish Driftwood Aquarium Fish Tank Decoration Ornament” is sure to a stun your anyone who walks by your fish tank.
It’s not only way more eye-catching, but it’s far more practical and realistic than plain old driftwood that’s found in nature.
The color is natural, making it more life-like. And it’s easy to clean and maintain.
9. kathson Aquarium Cave Fish Hideout Resin House Decor 2pcs Betta Log Hollow Decaying Wood Trunk Ornament
- Provides your fish with a place to hide
- Offers your fish plenty of hiding space
- There’s plenty of room inside to add small plants or fish
- It’s great for both freshwater and saltwater tanks
- Gaps can form on the sides
- Needs to be vacuumed or wiped down to prevent from harmful bacteria
- Pieces may break off with aggressive fish
This hollow type of log is a great place for your betta fish to hide.
It is hollow on the inside, so you can put inside plants too. There are several openings on the outside of the log, so your fish can easily get in and out of the log.
This log serves as a new place for the fish to hide, a great addition for small tanks where space is limited.
10. emours Natural Driftwood Branches Reptiles Aquarium Decoration Assorted Size,Small,4 Pieces
- Available in different sizes
- Comfortable and easy to use
- Quality driftwood branch design for providing decoration and hiding areas
- Sturdy and well-constructed
- The paint chips easily
- Not a lot of room for your pet to move around in
- Because of the strong wood smell, you might want to air the product out before adding any live fish
We like the emours natural driftwood as it’s made of real branches and packed with a lot of knots, curves and grooves that would provide plenty of hiding and climbing space for your pet. The emours natural driftwood branch decoration is made of natural wood cut from hardwood trees, which provides a sturdy and stable place for your pet to hide away in. As it’s not artificially treated, it might have its own natural odor, so you might want to air it out for a day before placing it in the tank where your pet can swim around.
11. Este Malaysian Driftwood
- Good for for tanks between half a gallon up to large tanks
- Fully submergible wood
- No chemicals or sanding required
- 2-year manufacturer warranty
Aquarium Aquarium Wood Branch for Fish Tank Decoration, 10.5-12-inch-Long
12. Bonsai Driftwood Aquarium Tree
- Adds a natural touch to the tank and helps to balance the pH levels
- Can be used for both freshwater and saltwater fish
- Comes with a free fish tank ornament in addition to the driftwood log
- Has a 2 year warranty
- Small and compact size
- Generates a great deal of interest from fish
- Does nothing to combat the algae
- Too small to be of much value for anything other than as a background prop
13. Zilla Reptile Décor Malaysian Driftwood
Driftwood is a highly-sought after material in aquariums. However, it can be a bit difficult to find quality driftwood that doesn’t also come with a large price tag.
Your best bet would probably the Zilla Reptile Décor Malaysian Driftwood Flat.
The different sizes of driftwood really make it an excellent choice. Smaller pieces are great for small and juvenile fish and as hideaways; while longer pieces can make for great finnage in a community tank.
14. Blue Ribbon Pet Products ABLDWSP Rock and Driftwood
If you’re looking for a piece of pet driftwood that comes with a wide variety of color schemes, then the rocks and driftwood for aquarium set from Blue Ribbon Pet Products is for you. The product comes in a set and includes driftwood, wheels, cave, and islands.
If you’re looking to install this product as a decoration to your tank, you might want a larger set as this one is quite small, but still suitable for smaller tank environments. This set includes both small and medium rocks, and we love the variety of colors.
The color is actually what caught our attention. It’s one of the most natural ones we’ve seen in the market so far. The product is generally pet-friendly, but there’s always the risk of a fish eating the driftwood, so you might want to be cautious and monitor your tank closely.
15. SubstrateSource "Marimo Log Aegagropila Algae on Cholla Driftwood Live Freshwater Aquarium Decoration
- Ultra-realistic craftsmanship
- Aesthetic and functional
- Repels algae
- Environmentally friendly
- Slow-growing algae moss doesn’t need to be replaced
- Comes with a moss infusion kit to infuse green algae
- Long lasting (can last up to ten years)
- Accommodates Betta fish, Labyrinth fish, and Midas Cichlids
- Tends to dry out over time
- Doesn’t come with enough moss to refill it
- A bit pricy
- Gets lost in larger aquariums
Made with natural and organic materials such as aquatic epiphytes, synthetic and real plant materials, and natural rocks and woods, the live aqua’logic Thailand aquarium decor is definitely a cut above the rest.
Full of aquatic plants, realistic branches, and leaves, the bark-like look of the driftwood is incredibly realistic.
There’s an incredible life-like quality to the decorative elements, which is partially due to the ultra-realistic moss that’s carefully applied. This moss provides a visually appealing effect while also providing a natural hiding spot for fish. The moss will slowly grow throughout the log.
16. Tfwadmx Aquarium Resin Driftwood Decoration
- Looks incredibly real
- No need to hassle with live plants
- It has a hole in it so that you can place fish inside of it
- It’s inexpensive
- Some people find it messy
- It will break down over time
- It requires a bit of effort to put it into the tank
Betta Fish Tank Artificial Aquarium Plants Accessories,Single Pieces, Random Colors.
To ensure that your fish have a clean and healthy environment, it’s important to provide them with aquarium decorations that can provide them with a place to hide. Since Betta fish are particularly territorial, it’s only natural that they would want to hide in a cave of some sorts. Since Betta fish are much bigger than other fish, you will need a big cave. This is why we recommend you to go with a realistic resin rock. This will look more like a cave, similar to the one in a river or a pond.
17. EmoursTM Aquarium Sinkable Driftwood Fish Tank Decoration
- 22-inches tall, hence it’s quite life-like
- The dark color gives an impressive appearance
- Easy to maintain
- High quality material
- Can support some live plant species
- Stable base, wobble isn’t much of a threat
- Reasonably priced
- Can be used with a range of water depths
- Good replacement for real driftwood
- 2-year warranty
18. Pisces AM-GOLD018 18" Medium Spiderwood
- Over 3,000 reviews with an average 4.5/5 star rating
- Available in several size options
- Accented with red-orange balls (if you want more color)
- Can adsorb harmful chemicals from the water
- Can remove excess carbon dioxide from the water
- Can provide hiding spots for fish or shrimp
- Can increase nitrate removal
- Can help eliminate wastes from the water
- Can slightly change the pH of aquarium water
- Can provide a natural environment for fish and shrimps
- You need to check on the condition of the driftwood from time to time
- If the wood has been submerged for long period of time, this could affect the condition of your aquarium
- You need to be careful when introducing driftwood to your aquarium.
- If you observe a very bad smell, it could be due to decaying seaweed.
(Natural) by Pisces Aquarium Supplies, Inc.
19. Underwater Treasures Petrified Wood
Driftwood provides the visual interest that creates an environment for your fish. It’s also the perfect surface for beneficial bacteria to grow on.
This petrified wood aquarium driftwood is a LARGE 12” piece. It’s the perfect size for medium to large aquariums, and comes in 3 different sizes for aquariums of all shapes and sizes.
Decorating an aquarium is a relatively new hobby – and with the increasing popularity of aquariums, it’s getting even more competitive. With that said, creating an excellent look for your aquarium IS challenging. To make sure you strike out with all the bases covered, your decor will need to do multiple things: 1) look good 2) be durable 3) not impact your water chemistry. And we believe this petrified wood fits the bill.
20. Marina Hollow Log
- Good quality and beautiful design – not heavy or thin
- You can also position the fake fish on the log
- Comes with fake moss, unlike other options
- 100% natural
With its natural hollow design, the Marina log is a great choice for displaying plants and live food.
It comes with the moss that’s realistic and full, and also with two fake plastic Betta fish that you can add onto it.
21. Galapagos Sinkable Driftwood Bed
- Made from natural driftwood
- Completely natural and authentic
- Each driftwood is unique
- Made to last
- You can choose how big or small you want it to be
- It’s well packaged
- It comes with instructions on how to plant it
- The surface might have scratches from the way it was transported
- It can be easily punctured if you’re not careful with it
- Some reviews stated that it really doesn’t move much on top of the water
If you’re looking for a Driftwood for your tank, then this might be the right one for you. It’s planted in a unique sinkable natural eco-friendly base. The Galapagos Sinkable Driftwood Bed is made from natural driftwood with no painting, coloring or additives. Each piece of wood is unique in its own way.
22. Dr. Moss Aquarium Small Malaysian Driftwood Luxurious Set
- Aromatherapy wood for aquariums
- Eco-friendly slice
- No danger for pets
- Neat aquarium decoration for aquatic animals
- Special maker with unique design
- Natural and practical
- Good bargain
- High-quality product
- A bit bigger piece of wood (about 5 “ 9 cm) is good for a medium sized tank
- The sticks has some small black bugs and holes, which is normal
- The sticks are a little bit hard to clean, but it’s nothing big
Aquariums Decorations, Multiple Sizes, Colors.
Dr. Moss is a brand that produces one of the best aquarium driftwood … both for functionality and design. This is some kind of unique wood that contains small holes.
These long and thin sticks of wood is perfect to be used as decoration for your fish tank. They will have a natural look to it but may be a bit harder to clean. A bit of black spots and holes is normal because it’s wood!
23. AquaTop Mangrove Root DãCor
24. Niteangel Resin Driftwood Decor
- A soft yet sturdy material so it won’t damage your decorations
- Realistic – you may mistake it for real driftwood due to its textured and hollowed out design
- Realistic color and grain
- Good size – they are 0.66”-1.18” in diameter and 3-6” long
- Very durable – it’s been backed by 3-year warranty
- No foul smell – it’s very neutral
- Loose seal
- It’s a bit brittle so it’s prone to breakage
- Can only be used for freshwater
25. Pisces AM-MANZSAN010 10" Manzanita Sandblasted Branchy
- Has multiple uses
- Looks good when left natural or with some bleach
- Easy to shape into different forms
- Can be placed anywhere inside the tank
When it comes to building your aquarium, you wouldn’t want to skimp on some of the details. And this is especially true for driftwood. It’s not only looks wise, but it helps with oxygen exchange and even helps keep the nitrates down.
Pisces AM-MANZSAN010 is a favorite because it lends a certain natural beauty to the tanks. It’s a little woody and very aerated, which helps with oxygen exchange and water circulation.
The piece is about 10” long and has several branches. It’s the perfect size for most aquariums and it’s not too hard to acquire.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best driftwood for an aquarium?
Driftwood comes in many shapes, sizes, and colors. However, most people are looking for the same thing when purchasing driftwood for their fish tank; they want it to look natural and blend in seamlessly with their decor. It doesn’t matter if you have a freshwater, saltwater, or brackish aquarium; you still want the driftwood to be as realistic as possible.
When marine life is flourishing in your tank, you want to be able to look into the aquarium and feel as if you are looking into a real coral reef, lake, or other natural body of water. It can take years to cultivate coral and a variety of other fish and invertebrates. You want to make sure that you have ample protection in place to preserve your aquatic life as long as possible.
Where is the best place to get driftwood?
The best place?
I’ve bought from several places, but I always go back to the same place. Aquarium Co-Op. Companies like Aqua Forest also sell good driftwood.
Is Driftwood good for fish tanks?
Driftwood can be a great addition to your aquarium. It can make the aquarium look much more natural. The most important thing is to make sure it is safe to add to the aquarium. Driftwood, especially older pieces, can have harmful chemicals present.
If you are thinking about getting driftwood for your aquarium, you should read this post I wrote on it. In that post, I go into a lot of detail about how to choose driftwood for your aquarium.
Which wood is best for driftwood?
The best wood for aquarium driftwood is dense one. I would choose some wood from conifers because conifers have strong sap which is not able to sink into the water and, moreover, the wood is rather hard-such as from Elder trees, and Cyprus trees. I would recommend these choices for driftwood fish tank decoration.
Out of literally hundreds of options, how can you be sure which is the best aquarium driftwood wood to buy? As a matter of fact, choosing based on your personal needs and preferences is the best way. However, if you do not have any preferences, here are some tips to help you out.
The first thing to remember is that when it comes to aquarium driftwood, you have to know a few important things to make sure you are getting high-quality product for the lowest price possible. However, before we get to those, let’s have a look at some of the most important things you must know about driftwood.
|NApremium Natural Cholla Wood||Best Overall|
|Fluval Mopani Driftwood||Budget Pick|
|Marina Decor||Upgrade Pick|