If your aquarium suddenly looks cloudy it is likely suffering from unhealthy water conditions. Luckily, it is easy and inexpensive to fix the problem.
Gravel cleaners are a crucial component of keeping the water healthy and clean in your fish tank. They are responsible for recycling and cleansing the water in your fish tank.
From the most basic gravel cleaners that must be purchased any time you want to vacuum the gravel to more elaborate ones that continuously recycle and filter water as you vacuum the gravel.
Whichever aquarium gravel cleaner you decide on will have a long lasting effect on the water quality in your tank. Because of this it is important to do your homework and make sure you get the right one.
1. Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System
A lot of people choose plastic tanks over glass aquariums. But one of the draw backs of plastic tanks is that they are difficult to clean.
If you have a tank with holes, gravel cleaners are the perfect solution. Hagen, API and Seachem all produce various models of aquarium gravel cleaners.
The Hagen Pet Products Python No Spill Clean and Fill Aquarium Maintenance System is one of the most popular aquarium gravel cleaners on the market. It works like a siphon. You stick one end into your tank and the other in a bucket of aquarium water. It is that simple.
2. TERAPUMP Genuine Aquarium Pond Fish Tank Cleaner Long Nozzle Water Changer Flow Controller BPA Free
The TERA PUMP aquarium cleaner comes in two sizes: the large size and the small size. The smaller one is capable of cleaning aquariums up to 40 gallons. The larger one can clean up to 250 gallons. The small size measures 11 3/4 inches long and weighs 1 1/2 lb. The larger size measures 19 5/8 inches long and weighs 3 lb.
The TERA PUMP is a good bet for larger tanks. The longest tube hosts a dual-nozzle design. The nozzles are constructed of high-quality silicone and are very durable – it can handle hard debris with ease.
The nozzle is equipped with a special rotor system. It is able to suck up larger debris and move it to the main pump. When you’re just cleaning your tank, the auto-reverse function helps in the process. When you want to replace the cart, you can do so by switching the direction.
3. Laifoo 50ft Aquarium Water Changer Gravel & Sand Cleaner Fish Tank Siphon Cleaning Tools
This is one of the best aquarium gravel cleaners you can find on the market. It’s the top-rated product on most of the online shops, and we recommend it because of its convenient size and performance.
The Laifoo aquarium water cleaner is made from high-quality materials to ensure durability. This allows you to use it for a long time. It has a flexible silicon neck that makes it easy to maneuver on any surface. That way, you can clean your entire tank. The head is completely detachable to make cleaning the tube easier.
The level of this water suction is adjustable to accommodate for the thickness of the gravel. Faster flow creates more powerful suction than slower ones. That way, your aquarium water will have no particle in it.
4. Lee's 6-Inch Slim Jr. Ultra Gravel Vacuum Cleaner
- Can vacuum about 7x more gravel than other gravel cleaners
- Can hold up to 10lbs of rocks or gravel, which ensures a long service life
- Designed with self-starts slimmer motor for easier start-ups
- Follows the contour of the gravel
- Fittings can be adjusted
- Extremely lightweight for easier handling
- The nozzle adjusts to different sizes
In our opinion, the Lee’s 6-inch self-start gravel cleaner makes the perfect gift for beginners.
Designed to vacuum up debris from all levels at the same time, this equipment even works on gravels that have shifted due to a change in water levels. Plus, this fish tank accessories cleaner cleans around bends and in tight corners thanks to its wand design.
The nozzle contains a row of bristles that allow for better scrubbing of your tank’s interiors. The vacuum cleaner has a larger opening design that allows for the removable of larger debris or rocks, and it’s lighter and smaller than most gravel cleaners.
5. Baost 1.7m Aquarium Siphon Gravel Cleaner Fish Tank Vacuum Water Change Siphon Pump Automatic Fish Tank Cleaning Kit Starter Bulb Nozzle
- Effective on up to 70 liters of water at a time
- Very quiet and efficient
- Doesn’t overflow
- Doesn’t scratch the aquarium
- Affordable, but durable
- The nozzle features various attachments
- Keeps your tank germ-free
- Filter helps prevent waste from going back in
- Less maintenance
- Should last you for years
- Takes up to 4 weeks to arrive
- On occasion, the product may be defective
- Cleaning it is a bit of a tedious process
- Sometimes takes longer than expected
- Not ideal for larger tanks
We recommend this product overall for the benefits it provides and the price it comes at.
The Baost aquarium siphon is rather unique in design. Using the included tube and nozzle, you can actually siphon water out of your tank in a completely vertical position.
The suction pump provides 2800L of vacuum per hour and will work on up to 70 liters of water. This should more than be enough for the average sized tank.
6. SunGrow Aquarium Gravel Cleaner Kit
- Easy to assemble
- The kit includes priming bulb, attachment tube and other accessories
- The sponge is large enough to clean the bottom of the tank
- The air valve allows the water to push air into the gravel
- The foot-operated valves are definitely a plus!
- The kit comes with a fine sponge which helps you eliminate any small pieces
- It’s a little bit on the pricey side
- The kit doesn’t come with the siphon pipe
7. boxtech Fish Tank Water Change
Our list of the best aquarium gravel cleaner has a certain fish tank water change device at the top. At first look, it looks like a water bottle. However, it’s actually a pump siphon that is also a gravel cleaner.
The tube is flexible – making it easy to attach to a faucet, and adds a degree of safety to the incision.
The suction is strong, and it can suck up to 10 gallons of water in 2 minutes. It’s also compact – making it easy to store and carry around.
8. Python Pro-Clean Squeeze Value Combo
- Inexpensive and versatile
- The squeezer allows you to apply pressure directly onto the gravel – making it easier even for smaller hands
- It’s perfect for large aquariums
- Comes with an application head
- Quality brushes (some other brands offer junk brushes)
- Pairs perfectly with a bucket or sink
- Very easy to clean and rinse
- Some users complained that these are not the best for cleaning Black Diamond gravel – it’s not super absorbent – but it’s still a fair choice in that category
- Some aquarium owners were not happy with the time it took to fill a bucket or a sink
When it comes to aquarium gravel cleaners, the Python Squeeze Value Combo pack is a great choice.
9. LL Products Gravel Vacuum
If you’re looking for a sure fire way of cleaning out your fish tank without hauling buckets of water from the sink then a gravel cleaner is the way to go. You will be able to quickly and easily gunk up loose debris that your vacuum may have missed during the regular cleaning process.
A Gravel Cleaner will allow you to clean your tank out without having to scoop out the stones from the fish tank to remove the waste in it. All you need to do is hook your Gravel Vac to the air pump, and the siphon will be created once the water starts moving.
This cleaner allows you to remove the tank waste (the tank is siphoned) into the bucket without any mess. And the best part is that you can then use the Mini-net to remove the gravels from the tank by hand and leave the tank clean to enjoy.
10. Aquarium Cleaner Fish Tank Clean Algae Scrapers Set 5 in 1
- The flexible shaft will ensure you can clean hard to reach areas of your tank
- The price is quite reasonable
- Suitable for use with most sizes of tanks
- These cleaners are very durable
- Not too heavy, making it easy to use
- Very efficient and doesn’t require too much effort
- Some users have found that the brush isn’t very strong
- The outflow valve easily comes off
- Requires a lot of patience to use
- Not really suitable for the novice fish keeper
This fish tank cleaner is a 5-in-1 design that’s made from a tough plastic. It has a long, bendable shaft, and a plastic brush. The brush can be used for cleaning and in conjunction with the hose for siphoning.
It comes with an outflow valve to help prevent mess (although it can come off easily). When cleaning the hard to reach places, the flexible shaft will allow you to clean them with ease. This cleaner has a 25-inch length and is perfect for aquariums with a capacity of 12 gallons and up.
11. UPETTOOLS Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
- Powerful suction – Up to 80L/H
- Tremendous suction power
- Very easy to set up and use
- This aquarium gravel cleaner is fully automatic, which means no need for any safety shut-off valves
- The gravel cleaner can be used for commercial/public aquariums
- Large dirt tank capacity – 110-130ml
- Quite affordable compared to some of the other aquarium vacuum tools.
- Don’t make a mess of things by having dirt all over the place. Everything gets sucked up in one spot.
- The aquarium gravel cleaner is pretty lightweight
- Doesn’t have cords that get wrapped around and make things difficult to operate
- The tube is flexible and restricts the vacuum from attaining a stronger suction.
12. COODIA Vacuum Gravel Cleaner Automatic Aquarium Sludge Extractor Water Changer
Power pipes w/crevice nozzle, detachable waterproof filter bag.
The COODIA gravel cleaner has a few features that make it stand out from the crowd. Its vacuum cleaning action gets rid of any left over debris or waste from fish food. The light on the tube ensures you don’t miss a spot while cleaning. The tube itself is made from high-quality polypropylene, while the filter is made from teflon and non-woven fabric. It’s easy to switch between the vacuum tool and the water changer modes simply by switching the nozzle.
13. Genuine Aquarium Fish Tank Gravel Sand Cleaner Long Nozzle Water Changer Flow Controller BPA Aquarium Gravel Cleaner Aquarium Siphon Vacuum
- Bottom part of this product is made of rock, with 1/2 of rock sand, and another 1/2 of crystal, which helps set your aquarium well
- This is a 3-in-1 product, it helps you do the changing, cleaning, and aeration at one time
- The water-throwing zone is 15cm, which is long enough for power cleaning of the aquarium
- The press-button has a bigger push area, which is convenient to operate
- The rubber cap is made of food grade silicon, which is safe for your fish and won’t hurt the environment
- The handle is soft and is comfortable to hold when pressing
- With a long hosing, you can clean your aquarium with ease
- Suitable for all 1-4 L tanks
14. Fish Tank Cleaning Supplies and Accessories Gravel Vacuum
- Very affordable
- Easy to use and easy to clean multilateral construction
- Powerful suction effect and can clean gravel of the long aquarium
- Automatic draining
- The size of the cylinder (3 inches, diameter 3 inches) will not change
- Can be used for aquariums with different sizes
- Lightweight, easy to carry, with buckle
- Comes with two extra wheels and a sprayer
- Two things can be washed at the same time
- Little small width, not used for large-scale aquariums
- Drainage is slow
The Multi filter is specially designed for the fish tank. You can use it for the aquarium dish or the fish tank. So it can reduce the nitrate, phosphate and organic ammonia quickly, keep the water clear and animal healthy.Sometimes it may be difficult for you to clean the bottom of the aquarium. You need to take the fish out to clean the bottom of the aquarium, but don’t worry that you have to do this in the future, you can use the gravel cleaner to clean the bottom easily. The gravel cleaner is made of ABS material, so it is durable and will not break easily. And it is easy to load and unload resistant, so you can clean your aquarium anytime and anywhere you want.
15. Fish Tank Water Siphon and Aquarium Gravel Vacuum Cleaner by Cleo Co.
16. Dora's Corner Store 2×10-Inch Vacuum Water Siphon
- Made from high-quality plastic and a removable filter
- Completely safe to use
- Economical compared to other aquarium gravel cleaners
- Smaller than expected
- Hose is stiff and can be difficult to retract
With almost 1,200 reviews, this self-starting aquarium gravel cleaner gets consistently high reviews.
The vacuum cleaner is made with a removable filter and a lifetime no-hassle warranty.
Reviews say this aquarium vacuum works as well as the more expensive models.
17. Aquarium/Fish Tank Siphon and Gravel Cleaner
- Easy installation, just hook it up to the hose & wall outlet and it will do the job
- Works great for new tanks, but works just as good for established tanks
- Cleans debris & waste without having to take out the pump from the tank
- Works great with tropical fish, aqauariums
- A good investment as it will save you time and energy
- Strong Quality for a reasonable price
- 30 Day Satisfaction Guarantee
- You have to have the siphon in the tank
- The pump has to be place in the position where it has to be plugged in
- The filter screen has to be changed to a new one twice a year
- It might slow down the filter slightly
Pour in chemicals and other easily clog-able liquids while you siphon and clean the gravel. No one will think what you have just cuddled through their tank; even better, you can easily wrap the fish with a blanket or towel. Why spend so much money buying all the aquarium decorations you see? Now you can save your money and time! Plus there is no need to come up with fancy names for your aquarium.
18. Sun Dynasty Automatic Gravel Cleaner Electric Aquarium Cleaner Water Changer 3 in1 Sludge Extractor
- Efficient wheel design for better debris removal
- Equipped with a built-in saqge pump
- Easy to use
- Simple plug and play
- Cuts water changes down to 3 minutes
- The hose is a bit short
- The assembly instructions could be better
19. Aqualantis Siphon Aquarium Cleaner Aquarium Fish Tank Gravel Sand Cleaner
- Comes with a flow controller, which makes it more effective
- Simple enough and easy to disassemble and assemble
- Powerful suction: works great in larger tanks and gravels
- Large enough to clean the tank and the gravel and sand
- Completely safe to use with live animals
When it comes to aquarium maintenance, you’ll need good supplies, one of which is a reliable aquarium gravel cleaner.
A lot of other aquarium gravel cleaners tend to trap waste instead of collecting it. This one, however, has a powerful suction that makes it a lot better.
We also like how versatile it is. You can turn it into a siphon and use it as a regular vacuum too.
20. capetsma Gravel Vacuum
According to reviews, this is without a doubt one of the most user-friendly vacuum cleaners you can find in the market. In addition to being very efficient, it’s also very easy to operate.
Reviewers also claim that the cleaner is able to clean dirty gravel faster and much more thoroughly than any other cleaner.
The specific features that reviewers have praised include the sturdy construction and dual lever system, which makes it easy to handle the cleaner even for beginners.
21. NICREW Electric Aquarium Cleaner
- 10-12years of runtime
- Silicone hose can clean parts of your aquarium that other cleaners can’t reach
- Versatile can clean rocks, water tanks, pipes
- Double wheels built to navigate over uneven surfaces
- Quiet operating voltage: 12V-24V.
- Pretty small in size
- Could be slippery and fall. Not for larger tanks.
- Cheaper and smaller models are harder to replace battery.
To create this review, we talked to over 200 Amazon retailers and looked at user reviews. The result has left us with a pretty good understanding of what aquarium owners are looking for. And we’re ready to share our findings with you.
Some people want an aquarium in their house or office, but they’re not sure if they’ll keep the fish due to the ongoing routine of cleaning. To make sure they won’t regret their decision, they want to buy an aquarium that cleans itself.
And that’s exactly what this aquarium vacuum cleaner does: it actually skims the dirt off the aquarium walls and takes it out. The process is so safe for fish/salmon that you won’t even notice when the cleaner runs.
22. DaToo Aquarium Cleaning Pump Kit Fish Tank Aquarium Cleaner Vacuum Siphon Long Nozzle and Short Nozzle
23. YADICO Electric Aquarium Gravel Cleaner
Supporting Filters Up to 20 Gallons, Fogless/Ultrasonic Bath Lamp.
One downside to this option is that it may ‘scratch’ better gravel stones. But if you use small pebbles, then this gravel cleaner will remove 90-95% of your sludge, without any damage to your gravel substrate.
You can use this cleaner for both fresh-water and saltwater tanks – it will not corrode or eat your fish or other tank occupants.
The first thing that you’ll notice about our selection is that there are 3 products ranked as our best aquarium gravel cleaners. These are all available at radically different price points and we feel that they all deserve to be recognized as the best available on the market.