Whether you just want to get more birds in your backyard or you want to use bird houses to protect and provide food to endangered species of birds, you’ll want to consider picking up a few of the best-reviewed houses on Amazon.
We’ve chosen the best bird houses in a range of prices and styles, so you can use these to attract and protect a wide variety of birds and the various species that visit or live in your area.
|Tenforie Bird Feeder House||Best Overall|
|2 Pack Bird House||Budget Pick|
|Birds Choice PMSR12 Starling Resistant Purple Martin House Ceiling Panel||Upgrade Pick|
1. Tenforie Bird Feeder House
2. Tenforie Ceramic Birdhouses Bird Hut Hanging Hummingbird Nest
- Unique ceramic birdhouse design
- Eco-friendly, moisture proof and water resistant
- Suitable for a variety of small birds
- Double color for choice, blue and pink
- Quite light in weight, easy to install outdoors
- Material and color can be refashioned to suit the taste of house owners
- Makes an absolutely stunning addition to any exterior setting
- Makes a great gift
- Might not hold up well against the elements (snow, rain, etc.)
- More traditional designs might be more appealing to some homeowners
- Some reviews state that it’s more suitable for songbirds than other types of birds
We love that this birdhouse can be used inside or outside, making it convenient for homeowners regardless of the weather. It can also be repainted to suit your tastes if you’re the type of person who specializes in crafts. It’s easy to install, and at around 4 ounces, it’s lightweight. Its dimensions are 12.5 cm in diameter and 15 cm in height.
3. Nature's Way Bird Products CWH1 Cedar Wren House
- Buy 5 or more and get up to 10% off
- The house itself is made with long lasting Cedar
- Has a size of 6.93 x 6.03 x 5.75
- Fits well in most bird houses
- Top and bottom openings which allows for easy access by birds to enter and exit the house
- Has a hole diameter of 1.59"
- Has an inside width of 5.75" x 4.13" x 7.13"
- Doesn’t have a perch to allow for easy access to the box
- The size is a little small for the birds
- The box is made of composite board material which is cheap
- Some of the houses had sharp edges
- The box was too small for most common birds
When building a house for your birds, trying to find one that is a good and safe place for them to live is hard. That’s where the Nature’s Way CWH1 Cedar Wren House comes in. This great product is made from the best materials that will last for a very long time for you and your bird friend.
4. Audubon Coppertop Cedar Wood Bluebird House Model NACOPBB
The Audubon Coppertop is known for being able to attract different kinds of birds to your yard. This is a well-made bird house that features a detachable roof and an attached mounting loop for easy installation.
The wood used is made from natural western red cedar wood, which is said to eliminate the need for regular treatments with preservative.
The floor is water-resistant, so it can easily stand up to winter conditions. The nest is slotted into place, making it easier to clean and prevent mold and fungus from developing.
5. Bird House
- Made in the USA with all natural Western cedar boards
- Pre-wired for easy installation
- Hardware is brass and stainless steel
- Lifetime finish guarantee against peeling or cracking
- The large nesting cavity to prevent predators from raiding a nest
- The depth of the nesting cavity to keep nesting material clean and dry
- The multiple perches of different sizes to allow many different birds to nest
- The back door for easy egg collection
- The flexibility to install this box on a post, on a tree, a fence or on a wall
- Will not split, crack, or warp
The beauty of this bird house is best seen in the features it offers to your birds. Around the front door itself, there are smaller ports. These small openings around the front door are accessible by the birds at any time of the year.
Because most of the time, it is the male bird who is seen bringing in nesting material, these openings give them and males birds the ability to deliver nesting materials through the mail slot.
6. Perky-Pet 50301 Wren Home,white,7L x 8W ins.
Birds are known for their ability to make great pets. The one thing that you need for them is a safe place to rest and shelter. If you don’t want to look after an animal and just want one for enjoyment, then we have the Perky-Pet 50301 Wren Home, white for you, which is a portable and functional pop-up house. It’s very lightweight and easy to hang.
7. Carson Home Accents Vintage Tall Birdhouse
- 92% of purchasers are satisfied with their purchase
- Made of natural pine
- Comes with a wooden birdhouse
- Simple assembly
- The cut is clean and the paint is thick
- Made by a reputable company
- A little large for smaller bird families
- Might tumble over in windy weather
- The bottom is a little flimsy
This classic looking birdhouse looks great in the yard or on your deck. It’s a little large for smaller birds to use but perfect for small thrushes, wrens, chickadees and other small birds. While a cut or two could have lightened the birdhouse, it is still easy to assemble and paint. This birdhouse is sure to attract the attention of your feathered friends. The cream paint is sturdy and thick so it can withstand most weather conditions. The bottom is a little flimsy and the top a little shallow but those are always going to be design trade-offs. The Carson Home Accents Birdhouse is 14.25” long so it’ll make a sweet small homes for many smaller birds.
8. Woodlink Wooden Bluebird House
- Easy to assemble
- Comes with a drainage hole
- Comes with a wood tag for easy identification
- Provides excellent protection against predators
- Made from high-quality materials
- The wooden pole is not visible from the outside
- The bluebird family can’t use the opening around the top to escape
- Doesn’t come with instructions
- The bear-proof flashing isn’t sufficient
Your homeowner’s association might not approve of the Woodlink Model BB-1.18 Bluebird House and rightly so. Most modern ordinances and bylaws discourage bird feeders altogether.
Nevertheless, for those who have a yard big enough to house this bird house and are bird enthusiasts at heart, the Woodlink BB1.18 Bluebird House is the ideal choice.
9. Nature's Way Bird Products CWH3 Cedar Bluebird Box House
- Made from recycled cedar and serves both as nesting and roosting shelter
- Great value, as it comes with a built-in window on the front and top opening on the back for easy cleaning and access to the inside
- Fits easily atop most house roofs (including your home) and is ideal for use in outside-only or inside-only bird homes
- Easy to put together, comes with the screws and instruction manual that is needed to build it
- Made to accommodate a family of 3-5 bluebirds, but can be used by other bird species as well
- This bird house is too small for larger species, as it's more geared for small birds
- The stick that comes with the house will more than likely need to be replaced
10. BYER OF MAINE Return Bird Home
- This bird house looks great
- It has a post-like design that sits on a standalone base
- Does well keeping ants out
- The dimensions are 10.6 x 8.3 x 12.8 inches, making it fit in well
- The design is lightweight yet durable
- The price is decent
- Can be used year-round
- It’s easy to clean
- The elements can corrode it faster
- On the bland side
- Birds on it seems to think it’s less noticeable than other houses, but they still come by
If you’re looking for an affordable and easy to maintain birdhouse that has a blue stained wood finish, then byer of maine may be the one for you. This bird house has a straightforward design that offers a unique vintage look. This bird house can be used year round and has screened vents that will prevent rain from entering the house. What’s great about it’s the fact that it’s pre-drilled, so no guesswork and mistakes needed.
11. JCs Wildlife Screech Owl or Saw-Whet Owl House Cedar Nesting Box
This owl house is an excellent addition to your backyard, as it is designed for two different species of owls.
One hole is designed for owls that hunt on the ground during the day.While the other hole is for owls that hunt at night.
The box is made of good quality wood and braced with metal for durability.
12. Birds Choice PMSR12 Starling Resistant Purple Martin House Ceiling Panel
- Made from metal and plastic
- Designed with a clear roof
- Easy to clean
- Assembly doesn’t come with instructions
- Not a complete do-it-yourself kit; some assembly is required
If you’re planning to set up a Purple Martin house this nesting season, then the Birds Choice PMSR12 Starling Resistant Purple Martin House Ceiling Panel for Ventilation, 3-Floor-12 is a good choice. It’s one of the most popular starling-proof martin houses on the market for good reason.
Along with the triangular shaped birdhouse, the package includes clear installation instructions, and (an expanded metal) ceiling mount bracket.
Very easy to clean even if you’re not a DIY-er. Some parts can be detached to make cleaning easier.
13. The Lakeside Collection Watering Can Birdhouse
Are you looking for a new bird house? Then maybe the Lakeside Collection Watering Can Birdhouse could be the one for you. With its make, it is very stylish and eye-catching. It comes at a size that will be perfect for hanging outdoors.
This product is handmade and features a distressed metal finish with a floral motif. It is a wonderful pot, and there aren’t many things that offer the functionality of a bird house along with its design.
The Lakeside Collection Watering Can Birdhouse provides three nesting baskets and uses recycled bamboo for its roof. Additional roof coverage is provided by a piece of felt. It is also equipped with a one-way door that will be quite useful for you.
14. HomePro Garden Recycled Plastic Wren House: Hanging Bird House Handmade from Eco Friendly Materials
- Has a convenient hanger
- Made with recycled plastic
- Easy to hang
- Can accommodate at lease 2 birds
- Made with durable materials
- Has a long-lasting construction
- Easy to clean, just wipe it clean
- Recommended for medium-sized birds
- The design makes it easy to clean and maintain
- Good environmental value for the price
- The only color available is navy blue
- Can only accommodate medium sized birds
- It’s not suitable for bird families
We’ve found that medium size birds do better in bird houses, but luckily the HomePro Garden Recycled Plastic Wren House is great for small to medium sized birds. Wrens, finches, woodpeckers, chickadees, and sparrows are among the larger species of birds that you can house in one of these houses, so if you’re looking for some backyard harmony, get more birds and this wren house.
One thing we like about this house is that the diameter is quite a bit larger than the standard birdhouses, and the depth is also satisfactory. This means that there’s more room for the bird to move around and do its thing.
15. Rustic Metal Wall Mount Milk Can Birdhouse
- Looks really nice
- The kit includes: hanger, hardware, screws, and instructions
- The price is great if you’re on a budget
- The instructions aren’t the best
- The hangers are flimsy
- Screw holes are small
One of the most popular house options is the birdhouse for sale with hanger.
16. BYER OF MAINE Alcyon Egg/Bottle Bird Home
- Made out of porcelain which is both durable and extremely resilient
- Cheap yet more than suitable for birds
- Ideal for both large and small birds like the chickadee and others
- Has a convenient and quality latch
- Solid and carefully-crafted
- Comes with a tool for hanging
The BYER OF MAINE Alcyon Egg/Bottle Bird Home with a glaze finish measures twenty-eight inches in length, fifteen inches in width and nine inches in height. It is designed to provide shelter for all birds including the chickadee and six others, as well as the larger birds. The Alcyon Bird House comes with a tool for hanging and a latch for convenience. The glazed finish adds style and color to the design.
This bird house is made out of porcelain and is thus extremely strong and durable while also being very easy to clean and disinfect. In addition, the Alcyon Bird House is extremely resistant to the effects of the weather which makes it a highly recommended option for homeowners wanting to make sure their pets get the shelter they need.
17. Bird Houses White Ceramic and Wooded Restful Birdhouse
- Wooded and ceramic
- Restful for birds
- Rinse with water and leaves no stains
- Easy to paint or stain
- This is a natural and organic product.
Bird House Natural & Organic, Home & Garden, Charley's Aunt Decor Luxury.
Bird houses come in a variety of styles, colors, and designs. Since biodiversity is an important element in maintaining an environment, consider getting a bird house for your garden, place it outdoor in a prime location and watch birds flock to it. Choose between a ceramic or wooden house and you'll have to decide whether or not you want your bird house to have a roof.
A bird house is not only unsightly, but it can be a major pain for your neighbors and or your household members. If your house is on your front yard, then you’re exposing your family to and you’re attracting insects and animals to your home.
18. Dawhud Direct Ladybug and Flowers Decorative Hand-Painted Bird House
We were quite impressed by the hand-painted design of the Dawhud bird house. At the same time, we were also pleased with the quality materials used in the making of it.
It’s a bold and colorful design which stands out no matter where you decide to place it. It’s a home with a lot of character, and who knows it might even attractive some customers to your home … not unlike the appeal of an Apple product!
It’s the perfect bird house for anyone living in a warm weather-climate, as the bright colors would certainly attract birds. The throat of the house is big and spacious too. Just what a bird would need for comfort.
19. Dawhud Direct Butterfly and Flowers Welcome Decorative Hand-Painted Bird House
This adorable house is the perfect addition to any home or garden. It features a colorful display of butterflies and flowers.
The Dhadu design house has a weight capacity of up to 4 lbs, which is fairly generous. It’ll house even the common House Sparrow (Passer domesticus) with room to spare.
It’s very easy to clean and doesn’t require any special tools or products. You’ll only need some warm water, soap, and a sponge to get it back looking like new.
20. BestNest Heath 24-Room Deluxe Purple Martin House
- High-quality environmental friendly wood for lasting protection
- Multiple chambers for roosting and nesting
- Protects young from predators and bad weather
- Portable for easy transport and moving
- Made in the USA
- Designed with small beaks in mind
- Bird friendly paint
- Comes with decoys, a thermometer, and a feeder
- Easy to clean
- Comes with a one year warranty
- The female martins may not recognize the fake female
- The suction cups that hold the house stick well enough, but always be sure to check to make sure they are still stuck together well
The Best Nest is a great birdhouse for Purple Martins. It’s 24 compartments allow it to grow with your colony, so you can start small and move up.
As martin houses go, the Best Nest is one of the best on the market, and the Purple Martins will thank you for it for years to come.
For a full review please click here.
21. 2 Pack Bird House
- Made of woven fiber
- Can support different kinds of small birds
- 4.75 x 4.75 x 3.5 inches
- 4.0 ounce
- Easy to clean
- Let light and air inside
- Cannot support larger birds as it will collapse and break
- Doesn’t come with a bag to cover it
- Can’t be mounted on a pole or brackets
- May require some gluing to stay strong over time
Why we like it: The hummer/sparrow house is a nice addition to any backyard. Excellent for holding small birds. However, if you’re looking for bigger birds, then it’s a good idea to pass on this one.
This product over the years has proven to be one of the best sellers on Amazon and we’re hard-pressed to disagree. The product is designed to hold small birds like finches, sparrows, titmice, etc.
It comes packed at 4.75 inches in length, 4.75 inches in width and 3.5 inches in height. It also weighs a reasonable 4 oz, and the woven fiber is long lasting.
22. Gardirect Retro Painted Bird House
Indoor Mounted Nests, 4-Pack.
23. MorTime Wood Bird House
- Nice quality construction
- Three bird house designs in one
- Can be used indoors and outdoors
- Easy to clean. Since it is crafted of wood it can be washed with soapy water
- You can include your own accessories like fresh flower bouquets, yarn, or artificial flowers
- It can be painted to blend with the decor of your home, or you can paint it to fit the outside landscape
- Can be used as a cake plate holder
- There is enough room for a family of birds (and the young ones too)
- It’s both elegant and artistic
- The price is extremely reasonable!
- The roof formation is a little flimsy
- The construction could have been a little more refined
- The name sounds more like a person’s first name
24. Creative Co-Op DA1151 Brown & Blue Decorative Metal Birdhouse
- Made of metal wire, so it’s durable
- Good ventilation with a built-in screen
- Eco-friendly with no paint or stain
- Attractive with a blue metal roof, brown structure
- Easy to build and mount
- Doesn’t look cheap
- Competitively priced
25. Hand-Painted Mushroom Birdhouse
- The hand-painted design is gorgeous
- The shape of the house was designed to be relatively stable in strong winds
- The size is just right for a small bird like a Chickadee
- Aesthetics aren’t everything; the wooden material is of high quality
- Manufactured from wood with an acrylic coating, so it’s waterproof and able to withstand the elements
- Although the house doesn’t come with a drainage hole, sunflower seed hulls can be added as a bedding material for drainage
- The suction cup doesn’t quite stick properly
- The flowers don’t actually move
Looking at this birdhouse, you’d never guess that it’s hand-painted.
The Mushroom Birdhouse is very well designed, and puts lesser ones to shame. The flowers and mushroom are all hand-painted, creating a gorgeous display.
This birdhouse’s measurements are 5.25” in diameter, and 8” high. In contrast to most wooden birdhouses, this one is narrow and tall. This is to allow room for various species, while disguising the size and shape of this birdhouse.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best birdhouse?
All NativeWise birdhouses are made of 100% recycled materials and recyclable materials. They use non-toxic materials and eco-friendly colors and finishes to bring eco-friendly birdhouses without sacrificing aesthetics.
These birdhouses are well-constructed, with hanging hooks, drainage holes, ventilation holes, and predrilled mounting holes, which are all crucial elements when it comes to successful birdhouse construction.
The one thing to note about this birdhouse is that it does not come with a drainage tray. As such, you might want to consider mounting the birdhouse on a tree or wall with the tray facing outward.
Otherwise, this is a great birdhouse if you want to observe bird behavior with your own eyes while hiding behind a second story window or deck. Also, if you are trying to attract birds into your yard, I highly recommend this one.
What is the best location for a birdhouse?
Somewhere off the ground and away from trees, buildings and your neighbors (to avoid annoyances and house-shaking flutter).
I would say only two places are ideal:
A pole-type bird feeder – You can just screw the birdhouse onto the pole.
A tree – Depending on the size of the tree and size of the birdhouse, this works well.
What is the best color for a birdhouse?
Although lots of people believe that placing a red birdhouse in the backyard will attract the attention of a cardinal or other red bird, this isn’t the truth.
Studies have shown that the color of the birdhouse doesn’t matter. The color of the birdhouse doesn’t impact house visits.
The best color for a birdhouse is whatever color you think looks the best.
What should I look for when buying a birdhouse?
For indoor or outdoor use?
Do you have a particular type of bird in mind?
Will you buy it for yourself, a gift for someone, or for use at an educational institution? Birds are not all the same, so you should look for one that would be appealing to the types you’re interested in seeing in or around your home.
If it will be used at an educational institution, it needs to be either sturdy or unable to be destroyed. Wasp and termite proof are also important considerations if it will be used outdoors. Indoor bird houses should be provided with a perch, or some way to hang from the ceiling.
There are some unique challenges that you face when creating a design for a bird house that should make this list of the best bird houses very helpful. A bird house is a great way to bird-proof your yard, create an environment where birds feel safe, and a location where they can raise their babies.
|Tenforie Bird Feeder House||Best Overall|
|2 Pack Bird House||Budget Pick|
|Birds Choice PMSR12 Starling Resistant Purple Martin House Ceiling Panel||Upgrade Pick|