Pheromone sprays are made with synthetic feline pheromones that mimic those produced by a female cat in heat as well as spray them into an environment to confuse and distract from the scent in the urine. When the pheromone is sprayed in the area they are urinating it will make the smell stronger and act to replace the cat’s territorial marking. By using a cat pheromone spray, you are essentially covering your home with sex pheromones to help discourage your cat from urinating in your home. It’s a clean and effective method to keep your home odor free and to help your cat settle into your home more easily.
Below are some of the best cat pheromone sprays on the market to help you stop your cat from spraying.
|Crazy Cat Lady Stop Stressin' Meow Calming Mist||Best Overall|
|Nature's Miracle Just||Budget Pick|
|SENTRY Stop That!||Upgrade Pick|
1. Crazy Cat Lady Stop Stressin' Meow Calming Mist
When it comes to the best cat pheromone sprays there’s two things you need to look for … efficiency and smell.
The Crazy Cat Lady Stop Stressin’ Meow Calming Mist delivers on both fronts. It’s the top sold cat calming product on Amazon, with over 2,500 reviews!
It’s also one of the most highly rated products on Amazon, with a nearly 90% positive rating.
2. Only Natural Pet Just Relax Botanical Cat Calming Spray
- Combats a long list of behavioral issues including: *Aggression *Anxiety *Destructiveness *Biting *Floor Scratching *Clinginess *Not using litter box *Fear of Being Alone *Ghosting *Jumping Out Doors *Restlessness *Separation Anxiety
- Whisker stress *Free-bleeding *Nail biting
- Promotes relaxation *Improves Socialization
In an effort to deal with some behavior issues that our two cats were showing (our senior one was also showing some age-related decline), I decided to try this product for the calming effects.
Both of the cats are indoor only. We live in a small apartment, so playing outside isn’t really an option. Long story short, they were getting anxious & destructive.
3. Felisept Home Comfort Calming Spray
- Can be used in a room of up to 550 square feet
- Effectively reduces the stress and anxiety in cats
- Hypoallergenic and safe for petÄ?s skin and eyes
- Gentle on the environment and safe for use around children and other animals
- Long-lasting and economical
- Lasts up to 30 days
- May be used along with Feliway Diffusers
- Does not work like a sedative, and does not render cats immobile
- Cats sprayed with Feliway before or during a stressful event, such as a visit to the vet, would have a more calm reaction, but the reaction would still occur
- Only reduces stress, but does not eliminate it
- A few users complained that it could sometimes cause sneezing or irritate the nose
- Not suitable for indoor use in wet or moist climates
If your cat is less likely to be at the vet, but more likely to be at home under long, stressful circumstances, Felisept Home Comfort Calming Spray makes sense.
This spray comes ready to apply anywhere. It is effective for up to 550 square feet. Place it in your home, inside a kennel, or in your cat's bed!
4. Comfort Zone Scratch Deterrent Spray and Cat Repellent
- Makes even your most reliable scratching post less appealing to your cat
- This product is 100% guaranteed
- It’s safe to use and the scent is pleasant for humans too
- Some say there’s no noticeable difference in their cat’s behavior
- It’s not very effective on hard floor surfaces; some cats may still scratch
If you have a cat that’s a bit of a sofa slayer (like we’ve all seen before), you’ve probably tried a number of products to try to curb her destructive habits. Well… the Comfort Zone Cat Spray is one of the most popular options out there.
The spray interrupts a cat’s natural scent and covers any areas that have their natural smell – including the couch! This spray doesn’t have to be sprayed with a high pressure and it’s a homeopathic formula that’s safe to use around your pet.
5. ThunderEase Cat Calming Pheromone Spray
This spray comes with a non-clumping formula that is most effective for longer-haired cats. The calming pheromone works quickly to reduce stress-related behaviors in cats, especially when they are exposed to stressful events like travel and boarding.
With this cat calming spray, you can stop cats from spraying or soiling your home, escaping from your home when traveling, and helping you to easily calm and control unmanageable bouts of anxiety.
According to some reviews, this can be highly effective if used in combination with Feliway diffusers.
6. Feliway Cat Calming Pheromone Spray
- Most number of reviews for cat pheromone sprays
- 99% of reviews for this product are positive
- Veterinarian-prescribed product
- Easy to administer
- It’s safe and efficient
- Can be applied on the bedding, flooring, and other furniture
Despite its price, the Feliway Cat Calming Pheromone Spray has maintained its popularity year after year. This is most probably attributed to the fact that it provides effective solutions on calming cats, reducing visits from pet parents, and minimizing stress in addition to other uses. While most cat pheromone sprays are designed for use in stressful environments, this product has the ability to calm cats on their own territory.
The Feliway spray comes in a bottle of 1 oz for application. They’ve developed this product to be highly efficient, which is why most reviews from pet parents are positive. This is also beneficial for pet owners since they don’t need to spend a lot of money on other calming sprays if this is sufficient for them.
7. Pet Organics No-Stress Spray
Pet Organics No-Stress is a pet friendly product that acts as a pet pheromone spray and essential oil combination. Made from all-natural ingredients, this product is completely safe for cats, dogs, kittens, and puppies. It is also used by pet breeders.
In fact, the spray has received high marks from users, who note that it’s actually working to control the stress levels in their pets. This is something that a lot of pet owners have been dealing with.
As a pet owner, you will need something that is completely safe to use, yet effective against any kind of pests. This is why Limor …_…_ chose this product for her pet.
8. NaturVet – Pet Organics No Mark Spray
- Attracts cats to urinate in the designated area, instead of in your home
- The blend of plant-based ingredients is completely safe, even for cats with sensitive skin or allergies
- You can use this spray on all surfaces of your home…bedding, carpets, furniture, flooring, walls…you name it
- It has a light, pleasing scent that won’t clash with the scents of other products you use
- Works for cats of all ages and genders
- Not effective for long-haired cats
- Residue may stain light-colored surfaces
- Cats can still mark their territory in this room while still using the litter box
This cat pheromone spray really works and is a safe alternative to declawing. The spray is easy to use. Just apply a few sprays before the cat enters the room. You can apply it to all areas that are often marked. Apply it to your carpets, chairs and beds.
9. NaturVet – Quiet Moments Herbal Calming Room Spray
This spray aims to combine the therapeutic effects of herbs with a convenient spray for cats and pet owners who want a more natural approach. The ingredients are all-natural and designed to reduce boredom and stress, while also understanding the relationship between a cat’s environment and their behavior.
Created with a blend of Lavender, Chamomile, and Hops, this cat spray contains a proprietary blend of oils. The combination of natural aromas are designed to increase relaxation and reduce anxiety. We didn’t find any information on added medication, although this may change with time as demand rises and production remains high. This is no longer a natural alternative to medication, but a way to increase calm and well-being.
Most consumers will have seen the scientific studies that show the calming effect of essential oils on both humans and animals. This isn’t surprising, given how many times we’ve been told of the therapeutic properties of Lavender, but it may be a promising solution to many pet owners.
10. Pet MasterMind Cat Spray
- Is safe and non-toxic
- Works to keep your cat from spraying urine
- Comes from a reliable brand
- Economical price
- Highly rated by consumers
- Fast shipping
- Good customer support
- The spray can leak if you don’t ensure it’s tightly closed
- One spray isn’t enough to keep your cat from spraying urine
- It’s only available online
- Dishes/boxes are not included
We think the Pet Mastermind Cat Spray Deterrent is the best cat pheromone spray product because it has the most consumer reviews.
This product comes with an 8oz bottle, making it among the biggest cat pheromone sprays available in the market. With this much solution, it’s enough to keep your cat from spraying urine for 6-8 months.
Spray the Pet Mastermind Cat Spray Deterrent 10 minutes before your cat goes to the bathroom. Spray the same area/spot every time your cat goes to the bathroom. As long as your cat has sprayed the deterrent in the past, the smell will be familiar to your cat. Your cat will avoid spraying in that spot.
11. Pet Remedy Natural De-Stress & Calming Spray
This spray is made with 100% natural ingredients, which makes it safe for humans and cats alike. It comes in a 2oz bottle – which is actually quite large – and you should get a few months’ worth of usage out of it.
This product is excellent for cats that need to feel more secure, or for moms and kittens to be closer together. It can also help with general nervousness in cats. The spray itself doesn’t smell too strong, but it’s very important that you use warm or room-temperature air to disperse it.
A few reviewers have mentioned that when they first started using Pet Remedy, they noticed that their cats started playing more and being more affectionate.
12. Pet MasterMind Claw Withdraw Stop Cat Scratching Training Spray
Cats are just like people, they like to scratch the furniture as a form of stress relief. The Pet MasterMind claw training spray is a safe alternative to prevent cats from clawing furniture. The training spray contains capsicum which is the natural pheromone from the cat’s foot. This pheromone gives out a calming sensation to the cat!
With the Cat Claw Withdraw, cat owners will never have to worry about furniture damaging from constant clawing. It makes it a happy and satisfying time for both the cat and the owner.
The competition spray comes in fine mist and only takes very little cloy to provide the desired training effect. Most cat owners reported that it takes 2-4 days for their cat to completely stop scratching the furniture.
13. SENTRY GOOD Behavior Calming Spray
- This spray can reduce your cat’s anxiety and stress.
- Strengthens the bond between you and your cat.
- The calming effect is noticeable immediately.
- Not only is it organic, it’s also made in the United States.
- The price is very reasonable; the cost is more than worth the benefits you’ll receive.
- It can be used for playtime, a car trip, or even during a thunderstorm.
- Easy to administer.
- Can be used as a treat spray, a toy, or a bedtime spray.
- It’s specially formulated to be safe to use if your cat is allergic to wool, cats, nutmeg, and other essential oils.
- Has a light summery smell; that some cats seem to really enjoy.
Does not work for all cats. It will only work to calm your cat and make them feel safe if your cat is unhappy due to stress and anxiety.
14. Premium Pet Deodorizer By Pet Diesel
These odor eliminators tend to be somewhat limited. Though they do work well on natural odors, they do not work that well on ammonia-based odors. If you have a lot of ammonia odors, you would probably be better off going with a general odor eliminator such as Nature’s Miracle or Simple Solution Odor Destroyer.
15. Bach Flower Remedies Essences Rescue Remedy Spray Original Flower
The Bach Flower Remedies Essences Rescue Remedy Spray Original Flower is one of our top recommendations because it has multiple uses, whether you’re at work or enjoying a day outside.
Apply this spray as often as needed. You should feel instant relief from stress, anger and pain. Use it to keep your stress levels under control at the workplace or while studying for those exams.
For your pet, try spraying it on the cat litter before scooping it. A little much can easily last you a month and it will completely remove the odor from your cat litter.
16. SENTRY Stop That!
If you’re having cat litter problems, this product can help. In fact it’s the only product on the market that’s safe to use with kittens and cats.
It’s made with odor neutralizers that can effectively eliminate odors. If your cats have used your rug as a scratching post, this spray will not only remove the cat scent, but leave behind a pleasant fragrance.
If you’re looking for a product to stop your cat from urinating on your bed, drawer or a piece of furniture, this product will do the trick. Simply spray an area with this spray and your kitty will smell it and stay clear.
17. Nature's Miracle Just
18. Zen Kitty
Zen Kitty is a unique, innovative solution for calming cats. It contains nothing harmful – chemicals, dyes, etc. The product is 100% organic and natural, made with pure hydrofuranones and eco-friendly flower essence blend.
We found out that this product reduced the frequency in which cats get into fights among themselves within a day or two, and regular use prevented further escalation of problems.
This calmer spray is safe for cats. You can use it around the house to keep the pets from scratching your furniture, spraying, and urinating.
19. Pet MasterMind Lion Tamer Cat Scratching Training Spray
The Lion Tamer cat pheromone spray works by diffusing the cat scratching scent to help redirect the cat towards the scratching post instead of hardwood floors and furniture. The spray uses real catnip oil to enhance the natural scent of your catnip. A few sprays will do the trick.
Basically, just spray the cap of the cat spraying device onto the area you wish your cat to scratch.
As with any other cat pheromone spray, you should only use the when you’re not at home.
20. Relaxivet Natural Calming Spray
Relaxivet calming spray for dogs and cats is said to naturally calm your pets. This spray is highly rated by both vets and pet owners alike. It has many positive reviews for resolving anxiety and stress related issues in pets. If your pet is snappy, nibbly, anxious or on edge, this is one of the best calming pheromone sprays for cats and dogs that you can use.
Inside the canister you will find a natural pheromone that mimics the scent of a mother cat or mother dog. The behavior of your pet will also change in a positive manner. This relaxing spray for cats is veterinarian-recommended.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best pheromone spray for cats?
According to research done by UC Davis, cats that have anxiety and refuse to use the litter box tend to have behavior issues as a result of the stress. Other causes of bad behavior include conflicts with other cats, unfriendly behavior toward their owner and the feeling they have to claim territory. Research also shows that behavior problems often begin when your pet is a kitten. As a rule the behavior tends to be reinforced by the reactions your cat receives from his owner. Negative reactions result in cats realizing that the undesirable behavior works.
Do pheromone sprays work for cats?
One of the best ways of managing a cat that is seeking attention, food or just wants to play is through the use of synthetic pheromones. These pheromone sprays and diffusers are designed for use around the property, drawing the cat back to their 'behaviour' zones.
What is the best product to calm cats?
The best product to calm cats is the one that your cat will trust the most. A cat is as unique as a fingerprint in the way it responds to each individual environment and element within it. Every cat owner has to find the method of cat calming that suits their cat the best.
The therapeutic effects of aromatherapy to calm cats are the same for humans. Like humans, a cat has a limbic system which controls many of their behavioral patterns.
The scent of a specific aroma can trigger a memory of something and send a cat into a predictable pattern of action, thought, or emotional response.
Cats are acutely sensitive to smell. Their sense of smell is so keen that just a molecule is enough to send signals to their brains. A cat can memorize an object through the sense of smell, even if a scent has vanished.
Are calming sprays safe for cats?
When used correctly pheromone calming sprays can help control inappropriate urination or scratching in some cats.
This is because pheromones are secreted by the cat and can affect how other cats react to them. Pheromones can have an impact on mating, territory, social hierarchy and mood. Although most cats use pheromones to communicate with other cats they can be trained to use them for other reasons.
In most cases, when a cat sprays it is usually a sign of stress. One of the most unpleasant things about a cat spray is the smell. Most cat sprays smell, well, disgusting. This is where the pheromone spray comes in because this spray can mask the smell preventing others from being able to smell it.
From eliminating behaviors of marking their territory, decreasing stress, calming problem behaviors due to environmental changes (moving, renovations, new pets, etc.) to encouraging playful behaviors and lowering aggressiveness or anxiety (in both cats and dogs), there are many uses for pheromone sprays in our furry feline friend’s care.
|Crazy Cat Lady Stop Stressin' Meow Calming Mist||Best Overall|
|Nature's Miracle Just||Budget Pick|
|SENTRY Stop That!||Upgrade Pick|