Scooter, our two-year-old German Shepherd Mix, is a long, lean, and lanky dog. And I am a short, curvaceous woman.
What better opponents could there be?
Nothing! So, naturally, we’ve battled on a number of occasions.
Like when we were growing up. I wannabe taller. Scooter wants to be shorter.
But why? Why?
Why can’t we both be happy with being what we are?
I can remember hearing that our feud was creating some tension in the household.
I don’t think I ever wanted to be taller for the sake of being taller. I wanted to be taller so that I could see Scooter from the position she was always in. You see, Scooter has always been quite rambunctious. She likes to get into everything.
And she especially likes to get into my beloved shoes, which might be the only part of my body that is less flexible than hers.
Initially, I thought that making her shorter would be a way to keep her out of my stuff. But it soon became clear that this wasn’t going to happen. My sister and I just weren’t going to be as vertically challenged as we hoped.
|Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket||Best Overall|
|Pet Dog Bicycle Carrier Bike Basket Bag||Budget Pick|
|Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Wicker MAX||Upgrade Pick|
1. Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket
The Snoozer Buddy Bike basket is made from high-quality 600 denier fabric, padded to ensure your dog’s comfort.
It is available in 6 sizes (XS, SM, M, Med, L, XL).
It has an easy top to open, which allows you to get your dog in and out of the basket quickly.
2. PetSafe Happy Ride Wicker Bicycle Basket
Though it may look like a regular bike basket, the Happy Ride Wicker Basket is really something special. This heavy duty material is designed to offer an unparalleled level of comfort to your pet while traveling with you. It’s great for dogs who suffer from stress or anxiety when riding in the car, as the soft liners make the ride much more comfortable.
The 3 inch high walls help protect your dog from the wind and offer a good range of vision. You can also remove the top cover when desired, and keep it off during summer rides.
The basket is large enough to fit up to a 58 lb dog, and it stands on four wheels. You can attach is to the rear of your bike with the built-in nylon straps. The straps are attached to a metal ring, which make it easy to attach and remove it from the cargo rack of your bike.
3. Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket
To start off with, the Petsfit Safety Dog Bike Basket features a 4-point safety harness that ensures a snug fit for your dog, meaning they won’t wobble or slide inside the basket. The mesh top provides ventilation for your pet, so they won’t overheat while you ride.
The metal frame is powder-coated with a silver finish, and has a large mesh opening to easily put your dog in and out of the basket. The basket attaches to the handlebars using adjustable bungee cords and is perfect for riding on any bike or trike.
The standard size is 24.8 x 18 x 42 cm (9.8 x 7 x 16.5 inches) but there’s a larger option of 25.5 x 21 x 45 cm (10 x 8 x 18 inches). The standard model weighs 1.5 kg (3 lbs) and the large option weighs 2.2 kg (5 lbs).
4. Pet-Pilot Original Dog Bike Basket Carrier
- Anti-puncture tires – won’t go flat and damage the tires of the bike
- Extra-large openings at bottom and back, to accommodate curved bikes and protect paws from the spokes
- Also great for small cats. The large gusseted holes mean the cats can climb in easily
- Sturdy steel frame that creates a solid structure and is also comfortable for the dogs to ride in
- The pannier bags are great – plenty of space, storage, and doesn’t look too big
- A little too wide for a small bike, even without luggage
- Pet-Pilot carrier does have some downsides – the design is a little cumbersome
Even though the Pet-Pilot has some downsides, it’s still a great carrier and worth looking at.
5. Pet Carrier Bicycle Basket Bag Pet Carrier/Booster Backpack
- This bag can hold opposite-size animals easily
- It contains features that make your pets feel safe and comfortable on-board
- It prevents your pup from annoying or attacking other passengers
- It allows you to keep your pet within eye-sight at all times
The best pet carriers come in a variety of sizes and shapes to accommodate small to large dogs and cats.
The Petsfit dog bicycle bags are specifically designed to match every cyclist in every situation. Whether you are a newbie in commuting to work, or a veteran, there is a Bicycle pet carrier suited for you.
Pet bicycle bags provide awesome safety and security for your pets. These carriers come with a sit pad to keep your ride’s back comfortable and free from abrasions. It also comes with a leash hole so you can secure your pet into the bag. With the adjustable straps, you can use them to length to size. The front pocket let you store your pooch’s necessary items and while the side pockets contain pouches that keep your stuff from shifting.
6. MattiSam Quick-Release Bike Basket
- Folds and unfolds quickly without the need of tools
- Very simple to setup and simple to use
- Great customer service from the renown brand – MattiSam
- Moved a few centimetres by the wind, we suggest carrying a stronger bungee to fix it
- The closure was difficult to lock and unlock, while at the same time being easy to open and panic your pet
- It’s not big enough for a bigger dog
We love this bike basket for its versatility. You can take your pet with you wherever you go to travel, commute or go for a ride just outside the city. We also liked the fact that it can fit almost any bike. Just position it using the Velcro straps.
It has a comfortable and breathable mesh surface that your pet can rest on while enjoying the fresh air. It’s sturdy enough to hold up to 10 lbs, a good weight range for most dogs.
7. Cape May Large Rear Mount Willow Bicycle Basket
A load carrier is a great solution for dogs who like to ride in back baskets. Front baskets aren't very safe, as they block the driver's vision.
This basket is a good option for a bigger dog. It measures 24 inches long and nine inches wide and has a load limit of 35 lbs.
There's a handle at the top for easy lifting, and a leash tether to secure your pup.
8. Pecute Dog Bike Basket Pet Carrier Bicycle
- Good quality bike pet booster seat
- Good ventilation and comfortable for dogs
- Easily removable and washable
- It can fit a wide range of dog breeds
- Had an extended back that can be used as a sunshade for your pet
- Flexible and convenient, allowing pet owner to place the seat in front or behind the bike
- A bit heavy and large to be carried by a lady with a small dog
- Quite simple to setup
- In some cases, it takes longer than average time for installation
Fits Mountain, Hybrid, Road, Kids Bikes.
A car bike pet carrier is for those of you who are not able to have a car. As there is a fact that a lot of bicycles are stolen, people have no choice but to come up with something to transport their pet cats and dogs. But actually, they can never get the smallest, strongest, and most convenient pet bike basket.
9. ALL FOR PAWS Delux 2 in 1 Bicycle Basket Carrier Bag
- Lightweight, compact, and easy to carry around for travelling
- Large capacity, suitable for small and medium sized dogs
- Adjustable straps make it a good fit for different bicycles
- Hard to fit on small and mid-sized bikes due to the bracket
- Relatively less comfortable for the dog
For Pet Jogging-Biking-E.
The ALL FOR PAWS bicycle basket is one of the best options for people looking for a detachable carrier for their pet. It features a sturdy plastic frame and meshes to protect your dog from the sun and rain.
The basket is made of polyester and comes in a dark brown color that’s easy to match with any bike. Most of the users are happy with the quality of the material and the design and durability of the basket.
10. Pet Dog Bicycle Carrier Bike Basket Bag
The pet carrier bike basket bag by Vrich has a no-cut safety mesh pet carrier that can be used to keep your pet safe and secure. It’s a light-weight and strong dog basket that has a corrosion-free corrosion-proof steel frame, which is also sturdy and reliable. The basket has 3 adjustable secure straps, which are made out of durable mesh fabric, which provides extra safety and security for your pet. The space in the basket is great, it can comfortably accommodate animals weighing about up to 15-20 kg.
The pet carrier bike basket bag is convenient, and it’s easy to attach it to your bike and secure it to your bike. In addition to carrying your pet, it’s also able to carry other pet belongings and things. Furthermore, the pet carrier bike basket bag is very adjustable, which means that it can be adjusted to fit most bicycles. The pet carrier bike basket bag is also foldable, which means that you can easily fold the basket at any time and place it in a compact manner.
11. Lixada Bike Basket
The Lixada dog baskets and carriers are perfect for you to bring your dog for a ride. The baskets are designed in accordance with international safety standards and have drawn a large number of fans.It was featured on April 1st in 2018 and has attracted many dog lovers.
What’s great about this product is that the design of its bottom makes it super easy to clean. Just take it outside and shake it off to rid it of any water or debris. This is crucial for owners who are worried about keeping their dog healthy and safe. It’ll also help save anyone who will ride their bike with this basket.
12. Assateague Large Willow Bicycle Basket
Looking for a way to transport your dog around effortlessly? Then the Assateague Large Willow Bicycle Basket for Dogs is the perfect choice. It features a lightweight design with an adjustable handlebar bracket and carrying capacity of up to 20 lbs.
This basket accommodates dogs that are up to 20 inches long. Carrying dogs isn’t your thing? Don’t worry, the basket can also hold a variety of other items.
This is quite a solid basket and can accommodate weight up to 20 lbs. There have also been numerous reports of it even holding up larger dogs. The Assateague Bike Basket comes in three colors: green, brown, and black.
13. SUNLITE RackTop/Handlebar pet Friendly QR Basket
- Easy to load and unload your dog
- Fits 12-22 inch handlebars
- Included leash keeps him safely secure in the basket
- Made from scratch-resistant PVC
- Powder-coated aluminum frames
- The included leash can’t be adjusted
- If you’re looking for the best basket for dog, or one with a top carrier, we recommend this one from SUNLITE. We strongly believe that this is the best dog bike basket since it’s of the highest quality available. For this review we’re going to focus on dog bicycle baskets since there’s only a few quality choices to choose from. This one is compatible with a wide variety of bicycles, including hybrids, road bikes, and cruisers. In addition, it’s designed to fit even the largest of dogs: up to 10 pounds and 25-28 inches long.
The SUNLITE RackTop/Handlebar pet Friendly QR Basket is incredibly well-made with a durable and sturdy frame. It also comes with a leash to secure your dog in case he gets excited and wiggles a lot while you’re riding.
14. BiKase Dairyman Rear Basket Pet Kit
- A well-crafted basket with a bottom piece which allows the dog to rest his/her paws on
- The basket is easy to install
- Compatible with most bike frames, including the 26-inch ones
- Lightweight and made from recyclable and water resistant materials
- Comes with replaceable plastic anchors and metal stainless steel buckles
- Ideal for pets that weigh less than 20 lbs.
- Extra large enough to accommodate a large dog
- The plastic looks fragile
- The latch at the bottom of the basket can come off easily
- The plastic parts have a relatively cheap, low quality look about them.
The BiKase Dairyman is made to be installed on the back of almost any bicycle. It allows you to take your pooch out on the bike for a stroll. It can be sturdily fastened to the frame of the bike using the metal buckles and plastic anchors, which are included in the package.
The Dairyman is made mainly from metal, with plastic reinforcements. The basket is made from thick, strong plastic, with a metal bottom. The basket itself is oval shaped, with a top loading design. This means you can load it up with your pooch’s gear before you go out biking.
15. Bicycle Basket Bike Front Basket Folding Detachable Cycling Bag
- Classic and practical design
- Able to accommodate a few small dogs
- Can be folded
- Easy to install
- Easy to store
16. Jack and Dixie Traveler 2-in-1 Pet Bike Basket and Over The Shoulder Carrier
This Wayfair Basics product is the ultimate, functional, 2-in-1 carrier/basket for anyone that needs to take the doggies on a little ride.
Made of durable, sturdy canvas material and mesh, the basket can easily handle up to 60 pounds. It’s completely functional as either a basket or a carrier – which makes it a versatile choice for people on the go.
Even more so, since it comes with adjustable Velcro straps, you can fit it virtually on any bike. It’s also really easy to install, thanks to the included hanger hook, so you can hang it up after your ride.
17. Walky Basket Pet Dog Bicycle Bike Basket & Carrier Easy Click Release Mounting
- Made from durable water-resistant heavy-duty material (600D Oxford)
- Safely and securely holds your dog in place
- Has an easy-click release feature, so you can remove the seat with ease
- Straps and buckles provide a secure fit
- Folds down for easy storage
- Carry weight is around 35-40 lbs, but you can also use a separate dog bike basket if you need to carry more weight
- Has adjustable shoulder and waist straps for added comfort
- Includes shoulder straps and reflective material, keeping you and your dog safe
- Fits 20" and 24" wheel bikes
- Fits all dog sizes from 15 lbs to 35 lbs
If you’re wondering how to bike with a dog, then a dog bike basket is the easiest way to go. If you have a medium sized dog and are looking for a convenient way to bring your dog along biking, then the Walky Dog Bike Basket with Easy Release is a great option.
This dog bike basket is made from a durable 600D polyester which means they’re pretty sturdy. They can hold your dog securely and safely without them slipping around.
18. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot MAX Dog Bicycle Basket Carrier
- Heavy-duty, long-lasting, and well-constructed from heavy-duty nylon straps
- Very spacious for a pet carrier, with a padded bottom for extra cushioning
- Comes with a waterproof orange rain cover
- Comes with a safety light for night riding and reflective strips
- Includes a carrying handle for added convenience
- Includes a bungee leash so your dog can safely enjoy the ride
- Long lasting and washable
- Easy to assemble and comes with a well-written instruction manual
- Perfect for any size dog from the smallest to mid-sized dogs
- Easily adjustable for most bikes and comes with a lifetime guarantee
If you're ready to bring your four-legged love along for your next bike ride, then look no further than this two-dog carrier from Travelin K9. It's easy to install, has a double door, and includes a bungee leash for extra safety.
19. AORYVIC Wicker Dog Basket
- Made with durable and breathable wicker
- Large enough to fit the largest of dogs
- Removable canopy provides shade, ventilation, and protection from the rain
- Includes a removable pillow for added comfort
- Designed to fit both dogs and cats
- The removable and adjustable tie-down strap will keep your pet secure, while providing extra comfort
- Backrest can be adjusted to 3 different positions
- Heavy-duty wheels make it easy to maneuver on both carpet and hard surfaces
- Comes with a waterproof PE mat to protect the bottom of the basket
- Includes a bag of small toys to keep your pet entertained during the trip
The Aoryvic Wicker Pet Carrier is hands down the best dog basket for bikes on the market today. It’s available in four different sizes – 13pets, 18pets, 22pets, and 25pets. The unit is designed to hold dogs and cats – from Chihuahuas to Great Danes.
20. Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Wicker MAX
- Great for all weather conditions – 5-year limited warranty
- Comes with a protective cushion for your dog
- Large enough for your pet to get in and out of with ease
- It has a lot of ventilation – so it’s easy to keep the basket cool
- Our opinion is that it’s extremely well-made and durable
- Easy to install
- There’s no “closed off” option for warm weather
- It’s very large. Carrying it inside the house can be a challenge
- You’ll have to take the basket out before you can get to the pedals
- The handle is short compared to other baskets
Travelin K9 Pet Pilot Wicker MAX is a dog bicycle basket perfect for all weather conditions. The design is similar to the dog seat in the car so your pet can relax during “long” trips.
The Wicker MAX comes with a wire top with sunshade to keep your dog cool on summer days. With mesh panels, the basket is breathable and your pet will be able to easily get in and out of it.
21. Snoozer Pet Rider Rear Bicycle Seat
This model has a shorter platform, and it is best suited for small to medium sized dogs. There are many carriers that are available in the market for dogs that allow the dog to sit or to be laid down. However, the Sloozer Pet Rider provides protection to the dog through its mesh screen with its safety belt.
The carrier is made from the highest quality of material. The foam is waterproof to keep the dog completely dry and comfortable. The mesh keeps the dog cool as well. Its height is also adjustable which is great for small and medium dogs.
The carrier is made with a custom fit to the frame of your bike. It attaches to the seatpost and rear mudguard of the bike. There is also a reflector tie that is added so that people can see the dog too. The mesh can be secured with two Velcro straps or in the case of extreme weather, a bungee cord will do the job too.
22. Pet Peddler Dog Bike Basket Pet Travel Carrier
- Easy to reach the pet
- Made by a trusted brand
- The basket is large and has a lot of space
- There is no tether
- The plastic can feel flimsy
The Pet Peddler Amazon’s choice is one of the best baskets for bicycles. Its design has a tri-fold opening, three roof vents and nylon netting that allows for air flow and visibility. The basket comes with a removable leash, weatherproof flooring and a removable cushion for comfort.
23. DoggyRide Cocoon Bicycle Basket
The basket is perfect for small dogs weighing under 35 lbs. The basket includes non-interchangeable safety straps and a non-interchangeable safety lock. It’s built to fit most handlebars, and the base is reinforced to provide additional support and strength.
DoggyRide also makes a double dog basket that fits two dogs. This can make for hours and hours of fun for your pets.
One of the best-known features of this basket is that it doesn’t interfere with your handlebars or controls. It’s also extremely lightweight, so it won’t slow you down.
24. Lixada Bike Basket
- Well-designed basket with mesh on top
- Handles for easy carrying
- Holds your pet with ease
- Top-quality handlebars for added strength
- Comes fully assembled
- Good price for a great basket
- Not waterproof
- No leash hole
- Not enough padding for your pet
The Lixada dog basket is designed specifically for bikes, so you can even go for a ride while carrying your pet. It’s a well-made bag with quality materials.
The basket features a metal frame and an attached metal plate for extra strength.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
How do I secure my dog in a bike basket?
There are many different styles of baskets available, so it is important you pick one that will suit your dog and your bike.
The most common method is to use two rubberized straps to fasten your dog into the basket. These straps are tightened around your dog and then secured in place using a built-in clasp. This allows you to secure your dog, but take it off quickly and easily if you need to.
Some baskets will also come with a safety belt to secure your dog to the side of the basket.
Once secured, the basket should have a solid base, which easily hooks onto a bike. Most baskets have a rubberized bottom which will minimize any bumps to your dog, but you can also add a foam padding or carpet to the bottom for extra comfort.
How do I take my dog on a bike ride?
Most bike baskets and carriers allow small sized dogs to sit or stand as they please. Large dog breeds are more comfortable lying down and having a large space to move around.
Follow these tips for your ride and your dog will enjoy every minute of it.
Can you put a basket on any bike?
You can put a basket on any bike, but if you are looking for something with a little more substance, you might want to look at a basket specifically designed for bike use.
A plastic basket that is designed for bike use will add much needed support and protection for the additional weight of your dog. These baskets are also known as dog bicycle or dog bike baskets.
It’s also helpful to look for a basket with a spring attachment. These will offer additional flexibility in height in order to ensure your dog is comfortable in the basket.
How do I choose the right size dog carrier?
The best way to determine the right size carrier for your dog is to measure your dogʼs length (measured from the base of the neck to the base of the tail). Each bicycle carrier manufacturer will provide a sizing guide, but if you are in doubt, then measures your dog and compare against the manufacturer’s sizing guide.
There are dozens of different dog bike baskets that are popular for cyclists. So how do you know which one is best for you? After reading this article, you will know far more than just the best-of list, but also why each one earns their place according to quality, price, ease of use and storage, and safety considerations.
|Snoozer Buddy Bike Basket||Best Overall|
|Pet Dog Bicycle Carrier Bike Basket Bag||Budget Pick|
|Travelin K9 Pet-Pilot Wicker MAX||Upgrade Pick|