When it comes to keeping your dog happy and entertained, what better way to do it than with an exercise pen?
But before you go out and buy one, it’s important to consider the safety and the quality of the one you choose.
You want to make sure the pen is safe for your dog and your family while also providing ample space for playtime and protection.
One of the best exercise pens on the market is this one from EzyDog.
It is made in the USA from durable, lightweight aluminum and comes in several colors.
This exercise pen is a great option for both indoor and outdoor use for dogs up to 100 pounds and measures 48 x 36 x 24 inches.
- Multiple gate options — double door, single door, single door with removable divider, and single door with double divider for dogs of different sizes to play together
- Easy to clean — when the pen is used for indoor play, the removable divider can be removed for easier cleaning
- Durable — the aluminum is lightweight and rust-proof, and the plastic feet are non-marking
Things to Consider:
Even though this is one the best dog exercise pens on the market, it is not intended for outdoor use.
|MidWest Homes||Best Overall|
|New World Pet Products Foldable Metal Exercise Pen & Pet Playpen||Budget Pick|
|Richell Convertible High Pet Playpen||Upgrade Pick|
1. MidWest Homes
- Durable and strong metal – this is something that stands the test of time
- Easy to set up – excellent for large spaces
- Has wall pockets for storage
- Includes ground stakes for added security
- Can be folded into a carry bag; convenient for travel and storage
- Very versatile – you can fold and unfold for more or less height
- Has a locking latch
[update] This is one of our favorite dog crates.
This dog exercise pen from MidWest Homes for Pets can be used indoors or outdoors. It can also be used in a vehicle!
The pet playpen is made from steel and includes ground stakes for added security.
2. Paws & Pals Dog Exercise Pen Pet Playpens
- Puncture and chew resistant
- Very easy to setup
- Very easy to clean
- You can set it up in minutes
- Can be used as a room divider
- Helps you train your dog to stay off your furniture or to limit roaming space.
- May not last long if you use it to keep your dog out of a room you don’t want it in.
- Mesh is not as durable as the rest of the pen.
- Dogs that are not used to the fence do not like to confront the fence.
- The gate latch is not as strong as we would like.
3. Exercise Playpen
I bought this exercise pen for two dogs that were fighting via the fence and dog fights. This pen has six panels and comes with ties for the sides of the panels. The kit requires you to connect the panels with zip ties and the ties that come with it aren’t very good. I recommend buying some of the way stronger zip ties.
The space inside the pen is small (about the size of a twin bed). It’s about 5.5 feet long and about 3 feet tall with the panels up. The height is plenty tall to hold the two large dogs I have inside while they’re playing.
The pen can work in several different configurations: straight, curved, or with a barrier directly connected to the door. When I first tried to put the panels together, I had a couple of trouble getting them to fit together right. This was due to the poor zipper ties.
4. IRIS 24'' Exercise 4 + 2 Panel Pet Playpen without Door
5. New World Pet Products Foldable Metal Exercise Pen & Pet Playpen
- Completely foldable making it perfect for moving or storage
- It can fit in a small space even without fully closing it
- Sturdy and stable (no wobbling)
- Plywood floor for scratch prevention
- A non-toxic polyethylene coating
- Attractive design
- A few reviewers complained about holes on the plastic hood getting blocked
- The built-in fence is difficult to fold up for storage
- The bar spacing may be too wide for small breeds
- Taller dogs may be able to jump over the fence
6. AmazonBasics Foldable Metal Pet Exercise and Playpen
This lightweight and easy-to-use pet playpen features a plastic bottom and steel mesh panels to prevent your pet from digging and escaping it. This playpen folds down for convenient portability and storage. Add to all-the-above additional features that made the AmazonBasics Foldable Playpen an Amazon Choice product.
The steel panels come in a checkered design with small spaces between them. They will not prevent your pet from escaping completely, but help make it more difficult. The floor also has small anti-slip mats that prevent shifting when your dog moves around.
If you have a larger dog or a dog that doesn’t like staying in small spaces, this pen might not be the solution for you. This playpen is perfect for small dogs that don’t tear things apart. However, large dogs can easily eat through this and be out in no time.
7. Parkland Pet Portable Foldable Playpen Exercise Kennel Dogs Cats Indoor/Outdoor Removable Mesh Shade Cover
- Space- saver and occupies minimal space
- Transportable and easy to carry
- Durable and lightweight
- Provides excellent ventilation
- Ease of assembly
- Comes with a mesh cover
- Great for small dogs or puppies
- Easy to move due to the lightweight aluminium frame
- The metal frame is rust resistant
- The metal bars are sturdy and can withstand up to 75 lbs
The Parkland Pet portable pen is a dog exercise pen that features an aluminium frame and the best safety measures for the four-legged friends. It’s made from a lightweight aluminium frame that’s rust resistant and enables the foldable feature. The aluminium frame also holds on to up to 75 lbs. It is completely weather resistant and can withstand rain, snow, harsh sun and extreme humidity.
8. Zampa Portable Foldable Pet playpen Exercise Pen Kennel + Carrying Case
- Includes a removable bottom tray
- Easy to assemble, you’ll only need your hands
- Very sturdy and strong construction, yet lightweight
- Comes with a large carrying case
- Made with resistant materials perfect for outdoor use
- The height is adjustable
- Available in various colors
- Can be used both indoors and outdoors
- The door has a lock for added security
- Small door may prove to be inconvenient to people with a tall stature
- If you’re a premium user, just beware that the materials are sub-par and will require some assembly (i.e. cottons, nuts, and bolts)
This dog exercise pen is another product by Petmate that’s similar to what we covered in the kennel section. However, it comes in a foldable version, making it easy to transport and store. That’s because its parts are collapsible.
If you’re tired of your dog ruining things around the house, then this pen will be a great way to corral him and keep him out of trouble.
9. Ruff 'n Ruffus Portable Foldable Pet Playpen + Carrying Case & Collapsible Travel Bowl
- Great for bringing your pets out to play – even in the rain
- Large enough for your pets to roam around
- Lightweight, so it’s easy to take anywhere
- Easy to clean
- The material is easy to fold up and put in the included carrying bag
- Has an added foot mat inside to protect your pets from stepping on the steel bars
- Comes in three sizes – small, medium, and large
- Also comes in two color choices – blue and yellow
- Has an included collapsible water bowl
- Has an included removable mesh cover
- The top can’t be completely closed off for protection against the elements
- The roof is not level
- The zippers are a bit hard work when doing up the cover
- The mesh material is a bit flimsy
According to reviews this dog playpen is easy to set up and take down. It’s about 5 feet tall, which means your smaller pets will have some room to stand and lie down comfortably too. The flexible bracing bars offer stability and strength when your pets are running around.
10. YAHEETECH Heavy Duty Foldable Metal Pet Dog Puppy Cat Exercise Fence Barrier Playpen Kennel
- Easy to set up
- 8” high – Perfect for indoor use
- Durable wire that can withstand scratching and biting (Tested by Chewy)
- Stainless steel wire mesh; therefore no harmful compounds that may cause corrosion or rust
- No toxic paint
- Comes with a convenient carrying bag
- Easy to use and store
- Solid and Strong Construction
- Available in different sizes
- Quite small
- Assembly Instruction is in Chinese
- No top bar – not suitable for bigger dogs
The YAHEETECH playpen is an all-metal enclosure that’s extremely easy to setup and break down. Just unfold the pen and secure the four legs at the corners. Once that’s done, you’ll have the perfect spot for your precious pup to run and play in the backyard.
The 8” high playpen is wire mesh and that’s one of the reasons why it’s so practical to be used indoors. Wire is a breathable material that lets air circulate and keep your furry friend cool during the summer.
11. North States MyPet 34 Sq. Ft. Petyard Passage: 8 panel pet enclosure
North States is a renowned brand name in the industry of dog kennels, under which MyPet stands out as one of the best in the market. It provides 8 panels that convert easily to make a personal play area for your dog.
The kennel can be stood up as a standalone for extra security as there is no way that your dog can escape. All these things make North States Petyard Passage a very ideal choice that comes in good value for most of the customers.
We have another slightly smaller cousin of the North States Petyard. The North States Metropolis Freestanding Pet Playpen is also a very decent choice which we will talk about in a while.
12. IRIS 24'' Exercise 4-Panel Pet Playpen
- Dogs can exercise and play without being exposed to the wind or rain
- Ideal for training and housebreaking
- Easy to set up, store, and move around
- Can be assembled by one person in less than 10 minutes
- Features a door with an easy-fold frame
- Attractive design complements home decor
- Safety latches ensure all panels are securely fastened
- Features a hard, non-toxic plastic pan and easy-grip handles
- Removable plastic pan is easy to clean and can be disinfected
- UV-protected panels to protect your pet from the sun
The Iris 24 inch exercise pen for pets is easy to set up, disassemble, and store when it isn’t in use.
The safety latches at the corners of the panels ensure that all the panels are securely fastened.
The door is easy to use and large enough to accommodate most pets.
13. ESK Collection New Blue 48" Pet Puppy Dog Playpen Exercise Pen Kennel 600D Oxford Cloth
- Virtually indestructible. It ‘s made from fly and tear-resistant 600D Oxford cloth
- Features a steel joint framework and high-quality hinges
- Comes with a removable and adjustable top section
- Fits 16-24 dogs!
- You can store toys and feeds in the top portion
- Easily move around due to the 3-wheeled design
- You can put a mat on the floor to ease your pet’s movement
This pen is constructed of tear and rip resistant 600D Oxford cloth. It has a steel joint framework and hinges for maximum durability. It comes with a removable and adjustable top section that allows you to put a mat on the floor. The top is detachable and can be folded for portability.
It can accommodate up to 24 dogs, allowing you to organize your pets. You can use it to put food in the top portion. It has 3 wheels that make it easy to move around. It includes a plastic floor tray. You can fit it around trees, furniture, and plants that you want to keep out of reach of your pets.
14. BestPet Pet Playpen Exercise Pen Dog Fence Animal Kennel Cage Yard Travel Camping Wire Metal Portable Folding Indoor Outdoor Crate
- Easy to set up
- 24 panels are enough to hold larger dogs
- Does its job well
- Great price
- Folds to occupy less space, but it’s still large when folded.
- The panel holders are just plastic pieces
The next in our list of dog exercise pens is the bestpet pet playpen. As a pen for a dog, it works great at keeping your pet safe at home, while you’re out. You can also use it to prevent them from going in undesirable areas or chewing on furniture.
It’s a sturdy, but lightweight wire that comes on a 32” long x 28” wide x 32” tall black plastic carry case. It comes with 4 black plastic panel holders that stand 4” tall. Attached to each holder is a 6-ft wire fence that has holes bored through it to connect with the other fence. This allows for a play space of up to 20.5’ in diameter.
15. Petmate 8 Panels Exercise Pen
This 8 panel pen is the next best thing to a dog cage without all the hassles. The panels are made from heavy duty plastic with reinforced corners so it shouldn’t collapse on your dog like some cheap dog fences would.
The fence is simple to put together, and can be done in minutes one person can easily accomplish the task.
The metal clips are made to be durable and last a long time.
16. Richell Convertible High Pet Playpen
- Portable and lightweight
- Easy to assemble and disassemble
- Suitable for pets up to 80 lbs
- Quick, no-tool, setup/take down
- Accommodates 2 large dogs
- Multi-function design can convert to a 2 or 4-sided pen
- Sturdy and durable
- Doesn’t collapse enough to use as a crate
- Only available in 2 colors
- No tray provided
- For a slightly cheaper alternative to creating a pen, check out this Indoor Pet Playpen.
The best dog pens are the ones that are safe, easy to assemble and contain your pet in the area you want them contained. The Richell Convertible High Pet Playpen has all these traits, and more.
While this pen is perfect for housing your dog, it also provides a great amount of flexibility. You can quickly switch from 2-sided to 4-sided pen if required, or have it in one piece.
It’s important to note that this pen is designed for dogs up to 80 pounds. For larger breeds, you may want to check out our list of the best Pens for dogs.
17. SmithBuilt Crates Dog Playpen Folding Yard
- Sturdy and durable metal frames & bars
- Easy to set up
- Easy to dismantle into separate parts
- Easy to carry, comes with its own carry bag
- Tall enough for even large dogs
- Easy to wipe clean
- Very affordable
Our top pick is the SmithBuilt crated dog playpen from Amazon, which comes in two sizes – 48” and 54” high.
These pet playpens are designed with pet owners in mind. With strong iron frames and durable zinc coated wire panels, you don’t have to worry about your pet leaving dents or scratches on these pens.
The playpen comes in three separate parts – the panels, the legs, and the bottom closure. The legs are posted on the panels and once you have all three in place you need to put the bottom on, then you’re good to go. The legs manipulate into place through the panels, so it’s all very sturdy. To dismantle it, you simply reverse the steps.
18. Petmate Courtyard Exercise Pen Drop Pin Design Walk-In Door Silver Crackle Finish
- Collapse flat for storage
- Easy setup and not too big
- Easily dug in if you’d want to keep it in your yard rather than inside a door
- Creates a comfortable space for your pets to walk around like they would in the wild
- The silver color goes well with a light or dark look for your room
- Provides a tight enclosure for the dog or pet’s safety
- Comes with a free extension kit when you buy the 4 pack
- Not meant for outdoor use in harsh weather. Buy in bulk to save money and space.
- Poor door clips when they’re latched, they can easily break
19. 16 Panel Heavy Duty Cage Pet Dog Cat Barrier Fence Exercise Metal Playpen Kennel by ShinShop
- Good for both indoor and outdoor use
- You can put it together in mere minutes
- Sturdy metal structure
- Easy to install with straps that can be locked
- Solid metal poles with a powder coat finish
- Comes in a variety of sizes and configurations
- You have the option of choosing between 17 colors
- The panels don’t lie completely flat on the floor
- The seams have a tendency to separate over time
The key features you’ll want to pay close attention to in this exercise pen is the number of panels (5-16), and its length and height. A regular exercise pen can cost between fifty and several hundred dollars. Of course, bigger the size, the higher the price. We think this has one of the best safety features in the market. The gate frame is durable but flexible. The dual latches are easy to close, and the plastic coating is easy to clean. When you combine these two features, you have an engaged toddler on your hands. But when you combine these two features with the double doors, you have an engaged toddler on your hands! Smaller than some of the options on the market, it’s perfect for young dogs and puppies to do some potty training. The mat measures 20 x 35. This will fit in most standard car trunks.
20. Ollieroo Dog Playpen Exercise Pen Cat Fence Pet Outdoor Indoor Cage 8 Panel Black E-Coat
The Ollieroo dog playpen has a 8-panel aluminum wire mesh fence that is rated at 0.5 to 1.0 inch thick and is ideal for small to medium sized dogs.
What’s truly great about it is that it’s completely see-through. So if you’re looking for a playpen for your dog, you won’t have to worry about a lack of line of vision.
The weight limit for this playpen is 50 lbs which means it’s only for small to medium dogs. While this playpen will probably not support a larger dog, it’s also good for using with a smaller dog for things like traveling.
21. Wire Pen Dog Fence Playpen
22. 24 inch Exercise Pen By Majestic Pet Products Small
The Majestic 24” Exercise Pen is part of their Kpets line. These dog exercise pens are slightly different from typical dog playpens, measuring 24″ in width and hence the name.
This is by far the best dog exercise pen if you’re looking for flexibility. It can easily be configured into a range of shapes and sizes as needed. This dog playpen can be joined together with other exercise pens to cover a maximum of 64 sq. ft.
The walls measure 24″ tall made from 0.5mm x .032″ wire mesh that’s not too fine but not overly coarse. It’s just right for most dogs and won’t cause any damage to their canine teeth or sensitive feet. The pen is lightweight so it can be moved around easily if needed.
23. Best Choice Products Pet Puppy Dog Playpen Exercise Pen Kennel 600d Oxford Cloth
- Allows your puppy to run and explore in a safe environment
- You can also use it to train your puppy
- Does double duty as an indoor kennel
- You can leave your puppy in it during the day
- Ergonomically and ethically made in India
- Sturdy frames that won’t wobble
- Great for large and small dogs
- Comes with a free dog food bowl
- Effortless to assemble
- Provides hours of fun for your puppy
- Inflated dimensions are not accurate
- The material isn’t the greatest quality
As usual, our review is divided into two sections. This way we can give you the lowdown on what other people think about a product.
We’ve gathered over 680 customer reviews for this product!
Of these, the product has a 4.0 out of 5 stars rating after a staggering 663 positive reviews.
24. BestPet Pet Playpen Dog Kennel 8 Panel Indoor Outdoor Folding Metal Protable Puppy Exercise Pen Dog Fence,24",32",40"
The BestPet dog exercise pen is a fantastic kennel. The playpen is tailored for the best dog play time by giving them a variety of areas they can explore. This is great for an indoor or outdoor cage.
The BestPet Dog Exercise Pen is made up of 8 panels. Each of the panels are 3-feet wide which provide comfort for all sized pets.
The panel can be adjusted to fit an array of different dog sizes. So if it’s for some smaller dogs it can be adjusted down to 26-inches. If you need to use it for a larger dog it can be adjusted up to 40-inches.
25. ALEKO SDK-36B Heavy Duty Pet Playpen Dog Kennel Pen Exercise Cage Fence 8 Panel 24 x 36 Inches Black
Reviewers are very happy with this exercise pen, saying that it’s durable, spacious, and provides enough room for their dog to move around. It also has a strong mesh and holds up well to the weight of larger pets. They don’t have to fear that it’ll collapse and their pet will escape.
The door is also a big plus. It’s positioned at the end of the pen for safety reasons. Plus, it’s nice that it comes with a divider so you can separate pets, or even use for when you’re housing puppies together.
We have to note that this dog pen is relatively easy to assemble. All you need is a screw driver and you’ll be done in less than 30 minutes. However, you’ll need to have a place to keep it set up, since it’s a little bulky.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog playpen?
I love the kritter keeper playpen because it is straightforward to put together and they offer a variety of sizes. It can also be used for many different pets whatever their size.
Are dog playpens a good idea?
A good way to describe playpens for dogs is to do a comparison to baby cribs. They are an excellent way to ensure a pet is held captive in a separate, enclosed area that gives them somewhere protected to go to the bathroom. They can also provide enough space for a dog to have sufficient room to run about without causing destruction to your house.
Dog playpens do have their fair share of advantages. But they are also primarily useful as a result of inconveniences caused by other dog training methods. In this sense, they are more of an optional, supplementary solution than a primary solution.
What size exercise pen should I get for my dog?
Your dog should comfortably be able to turn around in his or her pen.
If a door is included, a dog can enter and exit through the door. If you would like a more structural enclosure, than chose a size bigger than your dog needs. But if you would just like an area to take your dog for a walk, you could also use a smaller exercise pen.
Make sure to choose a pen to suit your dog's needs.
Is a dog pen better than a crate?
This is a matter of personal taste. It depends on the needs of you and your dog. If your dog must be crated at night or when you can’t supervise and he has a history of escape or destructive behavior, a pen with a door would work better than a crate. Dogs that learn to wait quietly in their pen for a certain amount of time before coming out are less likely to need or want the space to move around inside the home lessening the need for a crate.
However, they tend to be more expensive than crates. They can tip over, especially if your dog is a runner.
In most cases, if you are going to use either one, you should get a crate for when you are leaving your dog alone or if there is a chance that he might escape the pen.
Picking the Best Dog Exercise Pen is tough, because it really comes down to what features you’re looking for. For us, we want a pen that will secure our dogs, give them room to play and move around freely, keep them from chewing furniture and other household furniture, while being easy to set up and take down. We’ve worked hard to find the best dog exercise pen that can provide all of these features and for us that brought us to the MidWest AirDog Exercise Pen with metal bars.
|MidWest Homes||Best Overall|
|New World Pet Products Foldable Metal Exercise Pen & Pet Playpen||Budget Pick|
|Richell Convertible High Pet Playpen||Upgrade Pick|