A dog cage is a shelter for dogs that have been rescued and are still waiting for adoption. A kennel cover is a sun shade that shields your dog from the weather and provides a protective layer between your dog and the elements.
There are many designs on the market, but not all kennel covers are successful. Some kennel covers will make you feel like your dog is in a cage, but the best dog kennel cover will open up the space and provide a sense of security for your dog.
In this article, I will be reviewing some of the best dog kennel covers for dog crates and also provide tips on how to choose the right one for you.
|FenceSmart4U 6' X 12' Dark Green UV Rated Dog Kennel Shade Cover||Best Overall|
|NKTM 50%-60% Sunblock Shade Cloth||Budget Pick|
|Weathermaster KC1010 Dog Kennel Cover||Upgrade Pick|
1. FenceSmart4U 6' X 12' Dark Green UV Rated Dog Kennel Shade Cover
- Blocks sun and wind
- Reasonably priced
- Does a fantastic job at improving air circulation
- Provides some privacy and security
- Easy to set up and store
- 600D Oxford cloth with water resistant coating
- 1200D Oxford cloth with UV coating
- It is a cover, not a kennel
- Requires a wooden frame to be built first
- Does not include grommets
- Not for extreme weather conditions
1 Dog Kennel Covers at For Feb, 2019 at 7:52 am
The FenceSmart4U 6” X 12” Dark Green UV Rated Dog Kennel was our best cover for kennels in 2017, and it still has a lot going for it.
2. Alion Home UV Stabilized Dog Run & Pet Kennel Shade Cover
"Rugged, Weatherproof, High Quality Noseeum Screen is UV stabilized and resists insects, mold and mildew. Tissue construction keeps the mesh fabric from fraying."
We consider Alion Home the best dog kennel cover because of its high quality and affordable price.
It is constructed using both UV and aromatic stabilized for the toughest elements. It's waterproof material is completely odor resistant and will be easy to clean and maintain.
3. Dog Kennel Shade Wind Screen
- Weather proof
- Is durable
- Easy to install
- Includes detailed instructions
- Has a reasonable price
- Protects pets from the elements
- Covers a large area
- Ventilation is excellent for proper venting
- Easy to store when not in use
- The ground stakes that come with it are not long enough to hold the shade down
- Can be difficult to use with a metal kennel due to the limited flexibility
If you’re looking for a shade screen for your dog kennel, then look no further. The extra-large size of this kennel cover can fit just about any type of kennel, and the dark color makes it ideal for use at night.
With that said, it also functions as a water bowl cover. With so many uses, you can’t go wrong with this product. You can also use it as a dog shower screen.
4. Alion Home Sun Block Dog Run & Pet Kennel Shade Cover Privacy Screen
The Alion Home dog run and pet kennel shade cover… covers your pet kennel to provide two important things: sun and privacy.
It does this by using UV blocking materials. Then, by fitting it properly on your pet kennel, it helps to protect it from things like rain, sun, and wind.
Measuring 14.2 feet by 17.7 feet, it’s large enough to fit on even large kennels. It’s also made with top-quality materials that are user-friendly and pet-friendly.
5. E.share 40% Shade Cloth Black Premium Mesh Shade Panel
- You can cut this one to the size that you need
- It’s waterproof The sun doesn’t go through the fabric
- It’s strong and sturdy
- Fits your kennel nicely
- It’s easy to use; the grommets hold it in place
- It’s high-quality
- It’ll last you for many years
- Very affordable
- It’s pretty
- It’s got plenty of ventilation
- It’s not 100% taut
- It does require a little more strength and effort to put up
- You can’t cover your kennel entirely on the outside
- It’s hard to fit in the zipper-open part through the grommets
6. Shatex 90% Shade Fabric Sun Shade Cloth
- Provides excellent coverage for your dog enclosure
- The grommets are 5, 10 and 15 inches apart
- The cover doesn’t require a hole in the fence
- Doesn’t cost a fortune
- The material is durable and long-lasting
- Doesn’t require too much work to set up
- The size of the cover is significantly smaller than the advertised size
- The colors are dull and faded
Included and Free of Charge!!!
As far as grommet shade covers are concerned, this isn’t the most popular one on the market. However, it’s one of the most reviewed as well as the lowest priced, which makes it worthy of a try.
The cover protects your dog kennel from the sun, rain, and snow, while also keeping it warm in winter and cool in summer.
7. RC 5'8''ft. X 10ft. Black Dog Kennel Shade Covers/Sunblock Tops
This dog kennel cover is sure to keep your dog ‘cozy’ and protected from the cold and rain. It’s lightweight and easy to set up.
The 18 panels can be easily set up with just some zip clamps and rope. Plus, the lightweight design means that you can set this up and take it down as needed.
When it comes to kennels, shade is an important consideration. The sun’s burning rays can cause significant heat buildup in metal kennels. A dog kennel desert diorama can be fatal in the summer time. Therefore, if you have an outdoor dog kennel, ShadeSails is sure to be a lifesaver this summer!
8. NKTM 50%-60% Sunblock Shade Cloth
- Comes in different sizes
- Provides shade and UV protection
- Has a water-proof backing to prevent leaks
- The 4-ply weave is built to last
- Offers 6+ years of durable weather protection
- The 4-ply weave will increase the material thickness
- Some users find it a tad difficult to install
- Could be costly for some
The NKTM 50%-60% Sunblock Shade Cloth is a top of the line blad shade cloth that’s ideal for a multitude of applications.
9. Nickanny's UV Rated 85% Block Dog Kennel Cover Sun Block Shade Top
A lot of people are of the mistaken belief that dogs love the heat, but it’s not always true. In fact, dogs overheat faster than humans and when they overheat, they can get hurt. Pups are sensitive to extreme temperatures, so in the summer, you should either house your dog indoors, find shade, or invest in a kennel cover.
Kennel covers are a smart purchase for two main reasons – they protect your dog from sunburns and overheating, and also cover the kennel when pup is not using it.
The design is simple; it uses a cable tie installation that allows you to quickly fix the cover on your pet’s kennel.
10. iDeal Fabrics Dog Kennel Cover
- Outdoor kennel cover
- Weighs 2 lbs
- Easy to clean
- UV protection
- Packing dimension: 19*2.5*16 in
- Covered area size: 78 x 34 x 37 in
- Wire length: 34 in
- Padding thickness: 1.5 in
- Nylon tie: 3.15 in
- Plastic handles are weak
- Zipper not long enough to cover the opening
If your dog doesn’t like to be left in the kennel in the yard, this is the perfect option for you. This high-quality dog kennel cover is the ideal addition to your home and it doesn’t take long to install.
11. Harvest 70% Green Shade Cloth
The Harvest 70% Green Shade Cloth is designed for a wide variety of gardening needs.
Coming in at 8 feet 8 inches, it measures 12 feet long and 10 feet wide. As mentioned above, the mesh tarp is UV resistant and water/drip resistant due to the heavy-duty polypropylene fiber.
The mesh size is 0.5 inches, which is fine for most plants. The material is coated with water-repellent. Plus, the material stretches to fit any size and the holes help to keep the water from collecting and hold the plants up.
12. RC Global Trading Dog Kennel Shade Cover Green 5'8''x10'(Cover ONLY)
- Easy to assemble
- A good value for the money
- Can be washed with water for cleanliness
- Very light and portable
- Fits almost any type of dog kennel
- Holds up on its own
- Allows air to flow smoothly
- Quite thin fabric
- Not meant for extreme weather conditions
- Doesn’t last as long
- Only shades the cover
- No extra pockets
Coming in three different colors: white, black, and green, this is one of the best kennel covers on the market today.
Our green model has a length of 59 inches and a height of 52 inches. As you’d expect, it’s quite large. When it comes to weight, it’s a little over half a pound, and it’s really lightweight so you won’t break your back trying to put it up. It covers the kennel from three sides: the front, right and left.
13. Weatherguard Kennel Frame & Cover Set
The Weatherguard Kennel Frame & Cover Set comes in 5 sizes to fit your dog’s size:
- XXSmall (10“ x 12” x 9”)
- XSmall (12“ x 15” x 11”)
- Small (16“ x 19” x 12”)
- Medium (20“ x 23” x 14”)
- Large (24“ x 27” x 17”)
Another unique feature is this kennel has a 2-piece cover, with a rear cover that fits over the top of your kennel to protect from the elements.
14. 90% Heavy Duty BIack Sunblock Shade Cloth -Cut Edge
- A Very Long Coverage Area
- Very Easy to Install
- Waterproof and UV-Resistant
- Comes With Free Clips for Plant Cover
- Can Use Over and Over Again
- Relatively Low Cost
- Can Easily be Cut to the Appropriate Size
- Protects Against Heavy Snowfall
- Provides Excellent Shelter During Storms
- It Come With a Limited 10-Year Warranty
- Very Hard to Handle Without Similar Size Object
- Production Quality Varies from One Shade Cloth to Another
- A Little More Expensive than Other Covers
If you own a dog, you’re probably well aware of the heat and excessive ultraviolet light that your pooch has to endure during intense sunshine. Even if you provide your dog with shade and water, the excessive heat can be fatal. This is where a dog kennel cover comes into play.
A dog kennel cover helps to keep your dog cool and protected from hazardous UV rays. So if you want to prolong the life of your dog, a good quality kennel cover is vital. We’ve reviewed several kennel covers and found that the 90% heavy duty black sunblock shade cloth from Hilary’s is the best option.
15. Alion Home UV Stabilized Dog Run & Pet Kennel Sun Shade Cover
- Easy to set up
- The SilverMax coating….provides UV protection which not only reduces fading, but also repels water
- Adds an extra layer of comfort for your pup
- May not work for larger dogs
- The zipper is a bit flimsy
- The material tends to be heavy
This is another popular kennel cover that has a lot to offer. First, it’s easy to set up and use. It’s easy to assemble and puts up quickly. It also comes with adjustable nylon ties, so you can find the right setup for the kennel that you have.
The cover works well in a variety of environments and conditions. It easily withstands rain, snow, and storms, but also works well on a sunny day.
The SilverMax coating helps to reduce fading and UV damage, and it also helps to repel water. Basically, it helps to keep the outdoor kennel in good condition regardless of the weather.
16. Dewitt BN731010 10-Feet by 10-Feet Woven Kennel Cover
This kennel cover comes in several different sizes – 6, 10, 12, and 15 feet long. What’s great about this kennel cover is that you can choose the size according to the needs of your kennel.
It’s made out of heavy-duty woven polypropylene. We like that this kennel cover is thick enough to keep weather elements like rain and snow out of the kennel.
The only problem is that it’s not made of completely waterproof material. So a very heavy storm or a hurricane can push this cover over your kennel.
17. DeWitt 6-Feet by 10-Feet Shady Dog Shade Screen
This shelter covers by DeWitt is designed to shield your canine friend from the elements, and is available at an affordable price. It’s made from rustproof steel, so it’s not going to corrode quickly.
Each of the vertical steel bars features a knurled grip, which makes it easier to adjust the front and back mesh panels and the rain cover.
This shelter is also suitable for use with other pets, such as rabbits and more. The mesh allows the air to flow through. However, some users noted that the mesh is a bit small, which keeps insects from getting in.
18. FenceSmart4U 4' X 10' Tan Beige UV Rated Dog Kennel Shade Cover
Coming from a company that gives you an unconditional lifetime replacement warranty, it’s safe to say that the FenceSmart4U dog kennel cover is worth every penny.
This product comes at a very reasonable cost, considering that is made from a 600D polyester, and is both water and UV resistant.
The use of polyester ensures that not only does it have a very long service life, but it’s also mildew resistant, allowing you to reuse it for many years to come.
19. Sandinrayli 10' x 10' Black UV Rated Dog Kennel Shade Cover
If you love to take your dog along with you during your outdoor activities, then you’ll definitely need this Shade cover to protect them from the harsh rays of the sun.
Just like other similar products, this can also be left out during the rain. It’s built with heavy-duty 420D Oxford cloth, which is breathable and has water proof properties. It also has a honeycomb top which helps with ventilation.
Like most other covers, this is also easy to set-up. It’s a matter of just fitting the cover over the top of your dog kennels and fastening it together with the grommets and hems on the long edges, th e end, and the hems on the short sides. The grommets allow you to make fine adjustments for a better fit.
20. ALEKO PLK0515GR Pet Dog Kennel Sun Shade Cover Weather Protection
The Aleko dog kennel cover is made from 210 D Oxford nylon oxford cloth, plastic anchors and aluminum grommets. Metal grommets help to keep it secure against the weather, preventing it from tearing easily.
It comes in three different sizes: 5 x 15, 5 x 20, and 5 x 30 ft. It also comes with nylon rope for tying down.
The Aleko dog kennel cover is easy to install, water-proof, and UV-resistant. Whether it’s windy, hot, or raining – this cover is built to withstand extreme weather.
21. Lucky Dog CL50597 Small Weatherguard Kennel Roof System
Kennels are important to consider in helping to keep your dog out of the weather. If the weather gets too cold it can be extremely inhumane.
There are many different kinds of kennels out there, but some of the best kennel covers are made from peaked steel.
You may need extra screws in addition to the ones that come with the kennel cover. In looking at the Best Kennel Covers it can be difficult to pick the right one for you.
22. Weathermaster KC1010 Dog Kennel Cover
- Available in two sizes: 8' x 10' and 10' x 12'
- Features a durable 30 mil thick PU cover
- Has two-way zippers for easy access
- Heavy-duty deluxe strap and buckle system
- No-fade technology
- Ventilation holes
- Comes with a storage bag
- The top is water-resistant
- The throwover on its own is not waterproof
- The cover is a bit difficult to put on
- The straps come loose after a while
If you’re searching for a dog kennel cover that is tailored towards large dogs and can be considered heavy duty, then the Weathermaster KC1010 could be the one for you.
It’s designed for kennels with doors up to 8’ x 10‘ — that’s the mid-range.
The product is available in two color variations – beige and brown. The cover has a 30 mil thick polyurethane material that’s easy to clean. It’s durable and can keep your pet warm and dry in the harshest of weather conditions.
23. The Dog Squad Kennel Cover All Plush Blanket
Most people buy a dog kennel for safety or convenience – not to lie down in while they’re on your property.
And that’s precisely why the Dog Squad All-Purpose Kennel Cover is an excellent choice.
It’s a blanket that fits over any wire or plastic kennel. It’s also really easy to put on and remove. And best of all, the cover is machine washable.
24. WeatherGuard Universal Extra Large All Season Waterproof Dog Kennel Cover & Roof
- Each cover is custom-made, meaning you can choose the color you want
- It provides protection against wind, rain, sunlight, and hail
- The universal design means it’ll fit on all 10 x 10 outdoor cages or pens
- It’s available in different colors
- Has a drawstring giving you extra adjustability
- It’s protected by a 100% money back guarantee
- It’s made from high-quality materials
25. ALEKO PLK0515BE Feet Pet Dog Kennel Sun Shade Cover Weather Protection
- Comes with aluminum grommets to ensure your dog’s safety
- Made with 100% heavy duty Oxford cloth which is sustainable, sturdy, and durable
- Easy to assemble with the included hardware
- Comes with a convenient carrying case
- Folds out to 15 feet. Once you’re done using it, just fold it back in for storage
- It’s water-resistant so you don’t have to worry about rain
- Machine washable for easy maintenance
- Can be fitted over chain link, mesh, and welded fences
- Comes in 3 sizes: 6” x 6”, 8” x 8”, and 10” x 10”
- Very thin material (not really a big issue)
- The plastic clips that come with the stakes broke while trying to hammer them into hard ground; had to improvise
- Not water repellent
- Raised eyelets make it hard to tie knots on the sides
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Are dog crate covers good?
I can’t imagine having a dog without one now. If you haven’t seen this thing before, you might think it’s some sort of a dog house, but in reality, it’s a cover for your animal’s cage that you can put on the top and access with a zipper.
It would be great if you could take the cover with you when you’re on the move, but unfortunately, that’s not possible.
The Cover is manufactured from sturdy and durable polyester and features reinforced seams to protect dogs from chewing and fraying.
The cover is an effective way to keep the dog cool during hot summer days, or warm during cold winter nights. It’s good protection against:
The cover is machine washable, and recommended to be washed in cold water on delicate cycle.
What is the strongest dog kennel?
This is a difficult question to answer since strength comes down mostly to build quality. While there are products that say they are strong, how true are they? As far as I know for sure, it comes down to the build quality and the availability of parts.
As for models, the ProSelect Empire Dog Crate is a very strong kennel and is one of the best models in its category for structural integrity. That said, you can often find better options from companies like ProSelect. With that said, we would recommend that you always look at product reviews when buying or researching for one.
What is the best outdoor dog kennel?
There are several sizes, styles and types of dog kennels. A dog crate like the one pictured to the left is basically a dog kennel. There are many types of crates like cabinet style dog crates, folding pet crates, soft sided crates and hard plastic ones.
The crate pictured here is a hard plastic kennel x-pen dog crate.
Is a bigger dog crate better?
There is a big debate in the dog industry about the size of dog crates. Many people believe that the bigger the dog crate is, the better. However, the larger crates often times lack quality, and can prove to be more of a hassle than they are worth.
Bigger doesn’t always mean better. A larger crate simply means that it took a bit more money, time, and effort to get the same job done. If the dog crate is too big, a dog will not be able to feel safe or comfortable inside of it, and it will be difficult to provide your pet with the safety and security he deserves.
The best weatherproof dog kennel can be a great way of providing your dog with a safe enclosure where he can sleep and rest in, but which is also secure enough to keep him safe from any hazards outside. However, there are a lot of different kennels on the market, so to help you choose, we've put together a great buyer's guide. We have also come up with a list of the best dog kennels for specific needs, such as weight, height and how you’re planning on securing it to the ground.
|FenceSmart4U 6' X 12' Dark Green UV Rated Dog Kennel Shade Cover||Best Overall|
|NKTM 50%-60% Sunblock Shade Cloth||Budget Pick|
|Weathermaster KC1010 Dog Kennel Cover||Upgrade Pick|