Dogs are more than just furry friends; dogs have been used for centuries to serve as guards and hunters. While they have many uses, it’s possible they might not be the best companions in various settings. They can become a nuisance in your own yard, for example, and not just your neighbor’s.
This has created the need for repellent sprays, which can be used to stop dogs from digging, chewing, or relieving themselves in your own yard. Spray a dogs eyes and nose, and it will henceforth avoid your property.
However, there are dogs and then there are big dogs. What will work on a Chihuaha isn’t necessarily what you want to use on a Rottweiler. A dog repellent spray is of limited use else it will hurt the animal more than scare it.
This dog repellent spray guide is your one-stop shop for all the details you need to know, including our top 10 picks.
|ANGRY ORANGE Ready-to-Use Citrus Pet Odor Eliminator Pet Spray||Best Overall|
|OUT! Orange Oxy Stain and Odor Remover||Budget Pick|
|Clean 'n' Tidy Don't Pee Here Spray 500ml||Upgrade Pick|
1. ANGRY ORANGE Ready-to-Use Citrus Pet Odor Eliminator Pet Spray
The ANGRY ORANGE Pet Odor Eliminator for Dogs and Cats is easily one of the best dog repellents as rated by actual customers. With a 4.3 star rating, this product is highly effective and safe for both pets and humans.
It does not require scent neutralizing agents, meaning no added chemicals. The bottle is made of recyclable material and contains 93% biodegradable ingredients. It is also tested and proven to be safe for kids, pets, and the environment.
As one reviewer noted, this product is not just for pet urine, it can be used to remove the smell of stale food from your fridge, smoke from your boat, and feces from your lawn.
2. Halt II Dog Repellent Spray Repeller 1.5 oz Personal Protector Stop Agressive Dog Attack
- Great for dogs, squirrels, and raccoons; not just cats
- Fast and easy to use
- Contains 1.5 ounces which can last up to 1 year
- Has a 4.5 star rating from over 200 reviewers
- Contains 7 powerful ingredients like eucalyptus, citrus, and soybean oil
- It’s a safe and non-toxic formula that’s safe for both dogs and humans
- Outperforms other sprays a mile away
- It can be used indoors and outdoors
- Only comes with a 4 months satisfaction guarantee
- You might have to spray a few times to scare the animals before they go
- Not suitable for outdoor use
We’ve done extensive research to get to the bottom of why some sprays worked and others didn’t. Our top choice is Halt II Dog Repellent and its main ingredient is soybean oil. Soybean doesn’t just repel animals, it also burns their eyes and triggers a coughing response.the potency of soybean oil also depends on the concentration that you choose so with 1.5 oz bottle you can expect around 50 to 100 uses.
3. The Company of Animals Pet Corrector
Our pick for the best dog repellent spray for dogs is the Training Aid by Training Aid.
The training aid spray by Training Aid comes in a 3-ounce bottle with a convenient spray nozzle.
The ingredients have been specially selected to help curb the urge of your pets to bite, chew and scratch. It’s also been tested on thousands of dogs who wanted to beat the spray, but ended up loving how it helped them.
4. PetSafe SprayShield Animal Deterrent
- Makes a loud, high pitched noise to scare off animal pests
- Its overall size makes it easy to carry around and bring on the road
- PetSafe is a well-known brand trusted by many users
- It doesn’t work by creating an electric shock or burning the animal
- Does not require charging or refilling
- Made from durable materials
- Does not cause significant damage to the skin
- The manufacturer offers a 90-day warranty
- Alleviate your dogs from other dog-related behavior problems
- A great alternative to fences and training
- It will need 2 AAA batteries
- The waterproof seal is not airtight, so it will have issues in wet environments
- The spray can only be emitted for about 10 seconds before it stops
- There’s no volume control which is a problem for people with auditory sensitivity
- The spray can only be used in close contact to the person causing a disruption
5. OUT! Orange Oxy Stain and Odor Remover
- Powerful and fast acting
- For indoors and outdoors
- Can be used on carpets, furniture, clothing, fabrics, hardwood, concrete, etc.
- Great for pet stains, feces, urine, vomit and litter
- Kind to Animals and Environment
- Not tested on animals
- Environmentally friendly
- Safe for your pets
- Reduces Foul Odor and Gets Rid of Stains
6. Clorox Commercial Solutions Urine Remover
- Fast-acting formula
- Removes all types of stains
- Pleasant citrus scent
- Environmentally responsible
- Can be used for more than 90 days
- Doesn’t work well with old stains
- A bit expensive
- Might not work for large area cleaning
The Clorox Urine Remover is an effective bottle which can remove tough urine stains and odors from carpet, flooring and upholstery.
It is effective and works fast as it can start working on your stains and odors within 5 minutes. You can easily find areas with the trial and error technique.
This cleaner has been tested by many customers and has earned an outstanding rating. If your new puppy has marked your floor or carpet then this cleaner will definitely work for you.
7. Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover + Sanitize
- Specially designed for pets
- Easy to use spray bottle
- Can be used on carpets to remove pet urine and other pet odors
- Effectively removes tough pet stains and odors
- Some users say it didn’t work for urine stains and odors
- Heavier odors may need more applications
The Woolite Advanced Pet Stain & Odor Remover makes an effective multipurpose stain remover and sanitizer for all carpets, upholstery, clothing, and more. Safe to use on stain resisting carpets and fabrics. Specifically designed for pet accidents, spills, and odors.
The 0.26 liter can covers up to 20 square meters or 220 square feet. Both of the tall cans are great sizes; the top can is easy to handle and the leaking is minimal.
8. Grannick's Bitter Apple 16-Ounce Refill
- Very effective against ticks, mosquitoes, and fleas
- Little go a long way ¬ making the 16 oz container last longer
- May leave your dog licking his coat excessively
- Contains alcohol
Cats, and Wildlife.
The best repellent spray for dogs in our opinion is Grannick Bitter Apple, which is made from an all-natural smelling flavor and is bitter to the taste of dogs! This is a non-toxic repellent that is best suited for small to medium size dogs. Bitter Apple is also a good general repellent for cats and other small animals, keeping them out of your garden and away from your pets. The spray can be reapplied for up to a week, and does not have a lasting smell. That means your dog should be satisfied with its effects for a long time without constant application.
9. NaturVet – Yard Odor Eliminator Plus Citronella Spray
- Eliminates odors from dogs
- Removes pet waste
- The spray bottle comes with a built-in tape measure and the sprayer works on any Lawn, garden or patio floor
- It comes with a 90-day guarantee
- Easy to take anywhere and use anytime.
- No need to dilute with water, this product is ready to use.
- The special blend of odors is designed to last on grass, gravel, concrete & stone to deter dogs.
- Smaller dogs can step right over it
- Does not work on all dog types
- Can not be used in areas where the ground may not be as porous as your lawn like indoor floors and porous driveways etc.
- The pee and odor odor does not go away like some are made to believe it does.
The NaturVet Yard Odor Eliminator spray is not something you will use all the time, but when you have an issue with dog waste left on your property then this is a great solution.
The number of times I have been out of town for the day and dogs have come through our backyard is uncountable. Our dog has problems with he seems to think that my neighbors yard is his personal bathroom.
10. TriNova Natural Pet Stain and Odor Remover Eliminator
- Will remove stains and odors – no matter how old
- Effective on carpet, hardwood, concrete, clothing, grass, and furniture
- Safe for all surfaces including fabrics, carpets, and hardwood floors
- Made from purified water, natural enzymes, and other organic ingredients
- Will not produce strong fumes
- Is EPA certified and is non-toxic
- Is non-allergenic, non-irritating, and non-sensitizing
- Is designed to remove pet stains and odors from old and new
- Effectively eliminates odors without leaving residue
- Effectively cleans your home
- Effectiveness may vary depending on pet activity as well as the age and type of the stain
- Is not 100% guaranteed to work on everything
- Directions are hard to understand
- Not for use on carpets
- Can leave stains on fabric if not thoroughly rinsed
Deep Cleansing, Natural Ingredients, Non-Toxic, No Phosphates, Alcohol, Fragrances Free.
11. Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator
- Easy to use spray bottle
- Effectively eliminates bad pet odors and stains
- The aroma is pleasant with a slight minty fragrance
- Good for homes with multiple pets
- No bleach or ammonia
- Reasonable price point
- 60 fl oz capacity
- Works on carpet, wood, tile, linoleum, and concrete
- Customer service is great
- If you’re looking for a fast-acting solution, you may need to spray more than once
- It’s not suitable for all pet stains and odors
- The smell doesn’t stay around for long
The Rocco & Roxie Supply Professional Strength Stain and Odor Eliminator is an effective way of removing pet urine stains and odors in your home.
It penetrates deep and will eliminate odor and stain at the source. It is safe on a variety of surfaces, so you can use it on carpets, floors, wood, tile, linoleum, and concrete.
Clients can buy it on Amazon here.
12. Emmy's Best Powerful Pet Odor Remover Color Saver and Urine Eliminator Deodorizer Exclusive Enzyme Carpet Cleaner Solution Takes Out Tough Stains
The Emmy’s Best is our top pick in dog repellent sprays because it is 100% natural, it works, and it is safe for your beloved Fido. The spray uses a unique enzyme formula that is perfect for removing tough odors caused by urine, feces, vomit, sweat, sickness, and other strong odors.
It is great for cleaning up doggie messes on carpets, hard floors, and furniture as well as eliminating dog urine odor from clothing, upholstery, walls, mattresses, and more.
13. Quit It! DRP-PTS-1000 118ml Instant Pet Training Spray
With a 4 out of 5-star rating, Quit It! Instant Training Spray is one of the top products when it comes to mosquito repellents. With 118ml of capacity you can keep your skin protected for quite a while. This solution also uses the power of orthoboric acid, a compound found naturally in honey bees. It effectively repels fleas, ticks and other bugs, but is completely safe for use.
What’s great about this product is that you don’t have to worry about allergies or skin irritation. Since the solution is made from organic and friendly ingredients, cats and dogs are less likely to have allergic reactions to it. There’s also evidence that orthoboric acid from honey comb helps heal skin wounds.
The spray bottle is easy to use and refillable. If you prefer to keep pets away from certain places, you can fill the bottle with water and apply on the place you want to keep them away from. With a 118ml capacity, you should get several days of protection.
14. ArtNaturals Sweet Orange Essential Oil 4oz
- The water-based solution will dissolve in rainfall or watering can
- The effect dissipates after 10-15 minutes
- The 4oz bottle is large enough to last for months
- The product has many uses in addition to repelling undesirable animals
- This product can damage natural stone like granite and marble
- The smell is strong and can be intense for people who are sensitive to citrus
- The safety of this product is poorly documented
- It can be difficult to find, as it’s a relatively small company
This formulation can be applied to any smooth surface such as stone or wood.
ArtNaturals have a full line of organic essential oils and blends for all kinds of uses, including diffusing oils, massage oil blends, and organic cosmetics like oils.
This particular oil has a diffuser, spray, and mist functionality. The oil smells like fresh squeezed orange juice and is highly concentrated. However, while most repellent products are synthetic chemicals, this is 100% organic.
15. Emmy's Best Stop The Chew 3X Strength Anti Chew Bitter Spray Deterrent
16. Davis Scat Training Aid
While this may be one of the cheapest options out there, people love the Davis Repellent for its effectiveness against dogs. While it’s called a ‘training aid’ many of the reviewers use it as an actual solution to keep dogs from urinating on the carpet or plants.
This product actually works by using negative reinforcement to train a dog where to do its business. When a dog urinates on a plant, the chemicals in the spray will change the scent and make the area unappealing to the dog.
The secret of the odorless spray being successful lies in the citronella and yucca plant extract that gives off a foul smell to dogs … but to a human it smells completely neutral.
17. Rocco & Roxie No Chew Extreme Bitter Spray
- Repels chewing by both animals, both indoors and outdoors
- Won’t stain, isn’t toxic, won’t eat away at your pets skin or coat
- Inexpensive and works incredibly well
- Effects don’t last all that long
- Comes in small bottles
If you’re a dog lover then you probably know exactly how much it hurts to have a dog chewed up things. Whether it’s your shoes, furniture, clothes, or books, dog chewing can cause a huge amount of damage to your stuff. Sure you can stuff your dog in a crate – but that’s not going to solve anything.
However, getting a dog isn’t cheap … In fact, it’s far from cheap. Which is why you need something like this. It helps your dog to learn to chew only what’s for them, and keeps them away from the things you value.
18. Anti Chew Dog Training Spray: No Chew Bitter Spray and Pet Deterrent
19. Earth Rated Pet Stain and Odor Remover Powerful Multi-Surface Natural Bio-Enzymatic Formula
- Reliable Odor Neutralizer
- Effective formula.
- Odor Neutralizer is also environmentally friendly.
- The sprayer is a bit delicate.
- Contain solution can be a little strong.
- You may have to use an odor neutralizer again.
20. Safer Brand 5935 Critter Ridder Animal Repellent Ready-to-Use Spray-32 oz RTU
The safer brand 5935 critter ridder’s spray is an all-natural one that repels nuisance animals away from your garden. It’s 32 oz spray bottle will cover up to 2,400 square feet.
As a no-kill alternative to harmful, chemical based rodenticides, the safer brand 5935 animal repellant stops animals from eating, nesting, or sheltering in your garbage or patio.
It’s effective against unwanted cats, dogs, birds, rabbits, possums, skunks, deer, squirrels, mice, rats, and other small animals.
21. Particular Paws Anti-Chew Bitter Spray
- Aids in calming dogs and helps soothe itchy skin
- Safe for use on food, water and treat bowls
- Safe for all dog breeds
22. SENTRY Pet Care Sentry Good Behavior Stop That! Noise & Pheromone Spray
23. Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray
- Can be used for both dogs and cats
- Comes in a 2.1 ounce bottle
- It has the versatility to spray from any direction
- The spray can leak in transit
- Some users said the hardware is flimsy.
- You may need to spray it a few times before you can stop your dog from chewing.
If you want to stop your dog from chewing then the Bodhi Dog Bitter Lemon Spray is an option to try. This product is an all-natural dog repellent spray and it contains no harmful substances. It comes in a 2.1 ounce bottle and it is made in the USA.
This product has the versatility to spray from any direction which is a great feature as it will allow you to cover any areas that are hard to reach in order to keep your dog from chewing them. This is helpful if you have dog in your house that is older and has arthritis and can not jump up and down.
The price of this product is great and it works well for dogs that are about 12 to 25 pounds. This product needs to be sprayed 3 to 4 times a week in order for your dog to start noticing it and if they are still chewing on something it will need to be sprayed more often.
24. Bodhi Dog Potty Training Spray
- This spray can be used indoors and outdoors
- It’s effective on other animals as well (cats, rabbits, etc)
- One of the cheapest dog repellent options in our list
- Will keep your dog away from the lawn
- Very safe for dogs
- The perfume is made of safe and non-harmful materials
25. Clean 'n' Tidy Don't Pee Here Spray 500ml
- Very popular
- Decent length of product life (a year or two)
For those urban hikers, or those who tend to have a knack at falling prey to neighbourhood dogs; these repellent sprays will reduce the spread of very public messes. The Clean 'n' Tidy Don’t Pee Here Repellent Spray is a decent option for its price. The spray can cover an area of 1000 sqft, so you won’t need to use it more than once.
The product features a 2ml sachet which can be applied to your belt, shoes, purse, or bag, and sprayed onto your body as you encounter dogs. The product is scentless and colourless, and will be broken down into your body within a few hours of being applied.
Unlike other sprays available on the market, the product provides good coverage on the targeted animal as it is sprayed while the dog is walking and sniffing.
26. Petsvv Anti Chew Spray
- Natural, non-toxic, certified organic ingredients
- Made in the USA
- Can be used on any surface
- Great for training Fido and other unruly pets
- Lasts 8 months
- FDA and USDA approved
- No unpleasant taste or smell
- Not sticky or oily
- Water-based repellent
- Initial smell may be a bit offensive for dogs, but will gradually fade
- Takes about an hour to take effect
- The bottle is not very convenient for storage
This spray will drive unruly animals away with their special scent. This company offers a variety of repellents in different sizes and scents … the non-toxic spray that we’re reviewing is meant for dogs.
The spray comes with a dropper that can be used for applying the solution to floors and furniture, or spritzed directly on an animal’s fur.
We’d recommend using this spray in combination with a citronella collar when needed, versus a straight-up bite collar.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog repellent spray?
As a dog owner, you probably have more reasons than ever to want to keep your pup close at hand these days. While going out to do simple errands is always a risk with dogs everywhere, you can reduce your risk of problems with a good dog repellent spray.
Dog repellent sprays can be used in any number of situations, from spraying them directly to your shoes to keep playful puppies from fussing with you to spraying leaves to discourage your dog from pooping on the lawn.
While they can be used, you should be careful about getting too liberal with the spray. Many of these sprays actually do have toxic chemicals that can hurt your dog if they get enough of it on them.
However, if you can control the dose of the spray, you will have a handy tool in keeping your dog in line.
What is the most effective dog repellent?
Many dog owners will tell you that the best dog repellant spray is anything that smells bad. Garlic powder, pepper spray, or even a mixture of methods is what they will probably tell you to use. But is there really an “ultimate cure” for pests and vermin?
Not really. There are many methods you can use, but nothing beats not getting bitten or bothered in the first place. It is important to keep in mind that dogs will naturally want to go towards something that smells bad to them. Not to say that any of these methods do not work, but they are a lot easier to avoid than to get rid of.
What scent do dogs hate the most?
The answer depends entirely on the dog in question. Dogs have a much more developed sense of smell than a human has and can recognize specific scents by their chemical nature.
Dogs have 330 million olfactory receptors that they use to recognize smells, while we humans have just 6 million.
Common scents used to repel dogs are citrus, peppermint, and rosemary. There are also commercial brands that contain capsaicin, a chemical that is found in the oils of hot peppers.
So, the most effective dog repellents may actually be one of these, but the strength and persistence of the smell and the dog will be what ultimately determines a repellent’s effectiveness. And when a repellent does work, it is caused by the lasting smell of a dog-unfriendly substance in a place that is being used by a dog. Without the smell, the dog will not avoid the area.
Do ultrasonic dog repellers really work?
So, do ultrasonic dog repel reallywork? Honestly, I’m not sure. Do they keep my dogs away from my yard, though? Yes. However, I have a few suggestions to make them even better.
For starters, make sure you place multiple products around, ideally 8 or less. The more products you have, where they are, and how many you have will all have an impact on effectiveness.
Also, do not place the repellent INSIDE your home, or immediately bordering your property. You want the sound to waft over. Placing the speakers inside or right on the fence line will likely create a hotspot of sound that will not drive dogs away.
A hotspot of sound is when you have a sound so loud that it doesn’t have any effect on the dog, and when the sound gets softer, the dog notices a change.
We evaluated the best dog repellents on the market and found that certain sprays are more effective than others at keeping dogs away.
The spray by Adams is the best repellent for its effectiveness at keeping dogs away from your property.
However, the Adams spray can have serious consequences to other animals. Owners of smaller pets like cats should consider a spray like the Dog Stop instead.
|ANGRY ORANGE Ready-to-Use Citrus Pet Odor Eliminator Pet Spray||Best Overall|
|OUT! Orange Oxy Stain and Odor Remover||Budget Pick|
|Clean 'n' Tidy Don't Pee Here Spray 500ml||Upgrade Pick|