Savvy pet owners will tell you that no two dogs are the same.
That means that no two dogs have the same coat, face, eyes, ears, feet, or paw size. Regardless of its size, length, or texture, each coat can have its own unique combination of traits, which changes the way it requires different types of care and maintenance.
No matter what your dog looks like, you’ll need a good shampoo to keep it clean, hydrated, shiny, soft, and tangle-free. The right shampoo for your pooch will help it look good while helping it to stay healthy.
Unfortunately, dog shampoo options on the market today are rather limited and confusing. Some dog shampoos contain toxic and harsh ingredients that can irritate your pet’s skin and cause dryness and other skin conditions. In other cases, dog shampoos are made specifically for certain breeds, which means that they might not be a good fit for your dog.
What’s a conscientious pet owner to do?
|Fresh 'n Clean Scented Shampoo||Best Overall|
|Oster Oatmeal Essentials 4-in-1 Shampoo||Budget Pick|
|Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoos||Upgrade Pick|
1. Fresh 'n Clean Scented Shampoo
Shampoos tend to have a rep of “more is better” when it comes to lathering up your dog. However, Fresh & Clean Dog Urine Destroyer Shampoo is different. Less is definitely more here.
This citrus-scented shampoo is designed to treat a dog’s coat and skin after they’ve encountered some nasty yellow stains and odors. It’s completely unscented and all natural.
The shampoo is designed to cut through the urine and soak it up instead of just covering up the smell. It’s super easy to apply to your dog and only takes a minute or two to lather up.
2. Earthbath Oatmeal & Aloe Pet Shampoo
- It is a cruelty-free and vegan shampoo, meaning that it doesn’t involve animal testing and uses natural and organic ingredients
- It is made with aloe and oatmeal, which are good at soothing, moisturizing, and cleaning your pet’s coat.
- It contains no harsh chemicals, alcohol, or parabens, making it safe for your pet and the environment
- It is organic, meaning that it’s free of chemicals
- It smells nice and fruity
- It is very effective as it can remove excess oils as well as dirt and dandruff
- It leaves your pet’s coat shinier than before
This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent any disease.
If you find yourself using a lot of the shampoo, try diluting it by half with water.
3. Bayer HyLyt Shampoo
- * Low pH formula for sensitive skin * Affordable price * Water-based and easily rinses away
- * Contains baking soda for odor control and fragrance in dogs * Not tested on animals
- * Not all dogs are sensitive to fragrances
This shampoo from Bayer is used for cleansing and moisturizing the coat of your dog or dog. It contains essential oils, which provides a rich and smooth lather that will clean your pet’s coat.
Oil phase of the shampoo contains omega 3 and 6 fatty acids which improve skin and coat health. Oils help moisturize skin and coat and protect it from drying out.
In addition, the shampoo contains aloe vera, which helps to soothe irritated skin and heal damaged areas.
4. Dechra Miconahex + Triz Shampoo
One of the more affordable shampoos that we’ll put on our list is the Dechra. And it’s quite easy to see why this is one of the most popular dog shampoos on the market – it’s a bargain shamp and will keep your dog’s coat clean and looking healthy.
The shampoo is a mild detergent and has a minty fragrance. The composition is DE-3 methyltrimethyl aminopropylamine which functions as a surfactant (it helps to keep the dirt from sticking to the skin). This does not include other chemicals which are often used in grooming products to increase the effectiveness of the shampoo. DE-3 is a safe and effective cleaning agent, so it doesn’t pose a threat to your dog.
The shampoo is water soluble and contains no peroxide or other chemicals that may cause skin irritation. Instead, it uses a sulfate called disodium laureth sulfate.
5. Aromatherapy Shampoo & Conditioner
And Dog Shampoo for Allergies, Relieves Itchy Skin, Removes Dandruff & Cleans Dog & Cat Fur, Hypoallergenic Vet Recommended Shampoo for Itchy Skin (Dr. Mercola)
Contains skin soothing Aloe Vera and Vitamin E, it’s specially formulated to calm even the most itchy dogs, as well as those with skin allergies.
The oatmeal removes toxins from your dog’s skin and coat while the activated charcoal naturally cleanses your dog of any infections.
6. Nature's Miracle Supreme Odor Control
- Ideal for odors
- Good to use on any breed of dog
- Rinses off easily
- Safe for puppies and sensitive skin
- Very cost-effective
- Gets rid of wet dog smell
If you have a dog that smells, this product will help you. It's very affordable, and you only need to use a small amount to get rid of wet dog smell. It rinses off easily with water. All you have to do is apply it on your dog's coat while making sure not to get it near the dog's eyes.
After applying it, work it into the coat by rubbing it and being sure to get it in the dog's fur. Leave it to stay on the dog's coat for ten minutes or so. Don't let the dog lick the shampoo off, as it is not meant for ingestion.
Rinse it out of the dog's coat and look at how much of an improvement it made. How much more does your dog smell fresh? It really is as simple as that.
7. Oster Oatmeal Essentials 4-in-1 Shampoo
The Oster Oatmeal shampoo is great for sensitive skin. The 4-in-1 oatmeal shampoo cleans, detangles, deodorizes, and has a soothing effect on your dog’s coat. Not to mention that it is suitable for puppies and kittens as well. Dogs of all ages, breeds, and sizes will benefit from all the qualities of this shampoo.
It is enriched with oatmeal, which is clinically proven to alleviate skin irritations and itchiness caused by allergies. This is thanks to the anti-inflammatory and antioxidant properties of oat protein. By diluting the shampoo with warm water, you can also reduce the amount of lather to protect the eyes of your pet.
All-in-all, the 4-in-1 shampoo is a great product to use for a clean and healthy pet.
8. Moosh Natural Dog Shampoo
And Green Tea.
We love that this shampoo is made from all-natural ingredients like Shea butter, argan oil, aloe Vera, bentonite Clay, and green tea.
This recipe shows that the makers of this product have thought about your pet’s well-being. The aloe Vera and bentonite clay will help repair damaged skin helping to alleviate itching. Also, this shampoo gives your dog the extra moisture it needs.
9. Wahl Dry Skin & Itch Relief Pet Shampoo
- Fresh and pleasant citrus smell
- Lathers well
- Feels gentle on the dog
- Good ingredients
- Helps with dryness and itchiness
- Cleans well
- Large bottle
- Smells like cheap lemon furniture polish
- Unpleasant smell doesn’t go away even after it’s washed off
- Has an ammonia smell
- Contains many chemicals (dye, perfume, petroleum, alcohol, sulfates, parabens, etc.)
- Dries out the dog’s skin
10. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea and Tick Shampoo
- Safe for pets with sensitive and dry skin
- Quickly eliminates fleas
- Can be used as a skin conditioner
- Safe for daily use
- Works even on sensitive and multi-age dogs
- Enriched with skin conditioners to strengthen the skin barriers for a healthier coat, and to promote healthy hair growth
- Cleans deep into the coat to help reduce shedding
- Safe for cats
- Causes hair loss with regular usage
- The shampoo never lathers
- Not recommended for dogs with flea allergies
- Messy and dries up quickly when you shampoo and lather
- You have to use too much product to clean your dog
And Is Contain Non-Medicated Ingredients so It’s Safe for Your Pet with No Harsh Chemicals such As Diatomaceous Earth, Sulfates, Perfumes or Phthalates.
11. TropiClean Shampoos
- Made in the USA
- Four 1-quart bottles
- Can cover two medium sized dogs
- Gently cleanses and rinses off easily
- Reduces odor
- Convenient pump bottles
- Leaves a fresh fragrance behind
- Distributes evenly
- Doesn’t leave a soapy residue
- Possibility of skin irritation
- Gives dogs a soapy appearance after bathing
- May not be the best choice for raw-skinned dogs or those with extremely sensitive skin
- An 8-lb bottle was smaller than expected
- The shampoo can clump when it’s not mixed properly
TropiClean Pet Shampoo, 21-32-0 Ounce (Pack of 4).
If you’re looking for a professional, non-toxic, odor-neutralizing shampoo for your dog, your search is over. The TropiClean Made-In-The-USA shampoos will leave your pet smelling fresh and clean.
12. Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoos
The Rocco and Roxie dog shampoo is probably one of the finest dog shampoos in the market today. It has a fresh, invigorating scent that is just too amazing. If you want a dependable brand that will surely work well for your pup, this product is the perfect one for you.
This product comes in three variant scents, so you can easily choose which one you want your pup to have. Aside from having a great smell, this product also has an incredible formulation that contains several key ingredients that makes the shampoo very effective in eliminating odors from your dog’s coat. It also has a special formula that makes certain that your dog’s coat dries out quickly, so it is not left soggy after you have applied the shampoo.
Apart from being effective in keeping the coat of your dog smelling crisp and impeccable, this product is also very gentle to use. It does not cause too much skin irritation to your dog, and it does not cause any skin dryness to your pooch.
13. EQyss Micro-Tek Pet Shampoo
EQyss Micro-Tek Liquid Shampoo is a product, which is actually designed for dogs – but it can also be used on cats.
The product can be used to help your dogs fight off skin problems such as hot spots and fleabites, as well as itching and scratching. All the ingredients of this shampoo are USDA Organic and Certified Organic. If you’re concerned about the smell, you’ll be glad to know that the product is hypoallergenic which leaves a clean fresh scent that’s pleasant to everyone in your home.
However, it’s important to note, that while this shampoo is designed to fight skin problems, it’s most effective if combined with another shampoo or herbal treatment.
14. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Antiparasitic & Antiseborrheic Medicated Dog Shampoo
- Great for hot spots and surface parasitic infections on dogs
- Immediate relief for dry, itchy skin for dogs
- Gentle and effective
- Recommended by vets
- Can be used with normal shampoos
- Can be used on pregnant and nursing dogs
- Does not cause drowsiness
- Dermatologists recommend this brand
- Promotes a healthy, shiny coat
- Cleans and protects
- Does not come with a nozzle
- Orange bottle leaks
- Has a strong, unpleasant scent
- Might be harsh on some dogs
Extensively tested by veterinary dermatologists this conditioner is seriously good on mange, yeast, bacteria, ringworm, seborrhea, scabies and lice.
15. 4-Legger USDA Certified Organic Dog Shampoo
Best Dog Shampoo for Pets Edition from 4-Legger is our number one pick for organic shampoos when it comes to pets. As the name suggests it has many good ingredients like Aloe Vera to have healthy skin and lemongrass for the nice smell.
This dog shampoo is suitable for normal, dry and itchy skin and hypoallergenic so that your dog will not have any reactions. You definitely have to check this one out.
16. New Waterless Dog Shampoo
- Expensive-looking bottle but cheap price
- Safe, harmless, and effective in use
- Comes with a spray nozzle that makes it easy to apply
- We don’t have to worry about regular bathing
- Can be used on all breeds and sizes
- Cannot really remove all odor
- Doesn’t cover old stains
- Not ideal to use on rashes
- Can dry out the dog’s skin
- Can cause dry, itchy, and flaky skin
If you’ve ever considered using a waterless dog shampoo, this 5-star proven formula from New Waterless Dog Shampoo is the one we recommend.
All natural and non-toxic, it’s made from a blend of organic herbs, purified water and all-natural oils that gently cleans and perfumes your dog at the same time.
It’s so easy to use – just spray it on your pet’s coat and rub gently. It even contains a UV protectant!
17. Wahl Pet Friendly Waterless No Rinse Shampoo
No rinse shampoo might be the best solution for those who don’t want to deal with the hassle of traditional bath. This product from Wahl is specifically for pets, as it doesn’t contain any surfactants and dyes, which can be harmful to animals.
It’s made with chamomile and lavender. The natural ingredients are soothing and provide a great fragrance.
It can be used in two different ways – you can spray it on the fur and let the pet run around for a couple of minutes, which is the least effective way to get rid of dirt and dust. Or you can use it in the bathtub where your pet can get dunked and rubbed all over for a proper cleaning.
18. Vet's Best Allergy Itch Relief Dog Shampoo
This shampoo is designed for pets that suffer from seasonal allergies, like the Bichon Frise and Maltese. It’s suitable for both cats and dogs and is particularly effective at relieving itching caused by allergies. The anti-itch shampoo features natural nourishing oils and has a calming effect, which helps soothe skin and eliminate itchiness.
The shampoo also contains anti-inflammatory and antibacterial properties which help relieve redness and irritation. The formula is designed to help relieve the symptoms of pet allergies and, because it’s all-natural, it won’t irritate your pet’s skin.
19. Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo
- No need to use water to clean the dog
- Has a pleasant smell
- Can be used on both short and long haired dogs
- Can be used on all dog coat variations
- Easy to use
- Can help to protect the dog’s skin and fur
- Lessens the risk of dog grooming injuries like cuts, injury, skin burns, hair loss.
- Can cause sneezing and watery eyes
- Can leave your dog with white residue on its coat
- Can be too sticky on dogs with sensitive skin
With Paw Choice dog shampoos, it’s a breeze to use on the dog even if you’re on a tight schedule. Instead of bathing the dog or taking time to do that, all you need to do is spray, let it dry, and go.
Your dog’s coat will be left visibly fresh and cleaner than with the usual brushing. Dogs with sensitive skin can benefit from the Paw Choice Dry Dog Shampoo as it’s free of harsh detergents.
20. Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo
- Kills fleas, ticks, and lice
- Fresh scent
- Palm-friendly formula
- Not good for dogs with sensitive skin
- Doesn’t kill heartworms
If you’re looking for an affordable flea and tick shampoo, then you’ve found it. The Adams Flea and Tick is super effective in killing pesky parasites like fleas and ticks. Don’t worry – your dog will be able to enjoy the outdoors, without having to worry about their furry friend becoming infected.
The formula is also effective in killing lice, which are the main reason why fleas are so easily spread.
The active ingredients in this shampoo are Precor, Prallethrin, Piperonyl Butoxide and Nylar. All of these ingredients are approved by the EPA, which means that they’re safe for your dog and you. The shampoo also contains coconut and palm derived cleaners.
21. Sulfodene Medicated Shampoo
- The mild shampoo is medicated for tough skin and coat conditions (*relieves dry, itchy skin, and dandruff *)
- The fragrance is light and fresh
- Can double as a cat shampoo
- Great value for the price
- Good for all-around use
- Can even be used on humans
- Works well on dogs that don’t like baths
- Safe for full body baths
- Lasts a long time
- The product doesn’t have a strong smell
- Some products may contain sulfide, which can leave a residue
- Might burn dog’s eyes if not rinsed right
The Sulfodene Medicated Shampoo is a universal dog shampoo that also works great on cats. It can be used on any pet in need of a skin and coat treatment. The shampoo is a mild aloe formula that’s safe for daily use. The price is great for the quantity, the smell is clean and fresh, and it contains no added colors or scents.
22. PET KING BRANDS Pet Shampoo
23. Douxo Sogeval Chlorhexidine PS Shampoo
Dual-Action Handheld Turbo Vacuum Cleaner, Black (BR2060J).
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog shampoo brand?
When it comes to dog shampoo, there are several things to consider. The goal of this guide is to help you find a brand that best fits your needs, while also covering general information such as what type of shampoo you should be looking for in your dog and the ingredients of dog shampoo.
What is the best smelling dog shampoo?
Some of the best smelling dog shampoos are the new scented ones from Earthbath, K9, DAWG, and FURminator.
What shampoos should dogs avoid?
Shampoo with sulfates like sodium lauryl sulfate, ammonium lauryl sulfate, sodium laureth sulfate, and DEA alcohol.
Fragrance, which acts like a skin soother (it isn’t!) and contains phthalates. Steer clear of it!
What's the best shampoo for dogs with itchy skin?
There are many shampoos for dogs because most dog shampoos can have a drying effect on them. By "drying effect" I mean that your dog is supposed to smell good, right? When a shampoo dries out their skin, it has a tendency to also dry out their skin and cause the odor to come from the skin rather than the shampoo.
So, which is the best dog shampoo for itchy skin? I don't want to be one to make those kinds of judgment calls, but I think the answer to that is an itchy skin shampoo with Omega-3 fatty acids.
Check Out the Dog Hairs, Skin and Coat Shampoo with Omegas by Pet Repurposer. You can tell that they love dogs and have their products tested on Dogs.
The best dog shampoo you can buy for your dog depends mostly on what your dog needs shampooed for. Different conditions like dandruff, dry skin and itchiness may necessitate different types of shampoos.
If there are specific features that you’re looking for in a dog shampoo, like tear-free features, maybe you might need to compromise on some other features in the shampoo. It all depends on how you’re going to use it.
All dog shampoos are made with similar ingredients. The biggest difference is usually how much is used, and how much is in the shampoo formula.
|Fresh 'n Clean Scented Shampoo||Best Overall|
|Oster Oatmeal Essentials 4-in-1 Shampoo||Budget Pick|
|Rocco & Roxie Dog Shampoos||Upgrade Pick|