A pet’s skin and coat are vitally important to their overall health and well-being. The skin serves to protect your dog from environmental damage and injuries, regulate their temperature, and also help to regulate many of their body’s vital hormones.
A dog’s coat, on the other hand, helps to regulate body temperature, repels water, and also helps them to lose heat and keep warm during cold weather.
Just like humans, though, the skin and coat of a dog can become damaged and diseased, leading to dryness, itchiness, and also an increase in shedding and dander.
Dry, itchy skin and a dull coat can not only make your dog incredibly uncomfortable, they can also lead to scarring and make them more prone to injuries.
You’ll need to make sure you keep your dog’s skin and coat in healthy condition in order to ensure they can live their best life.
And if you’ve spent any time researching dog skin and coat supplements, you’ll have noticed that there are hundreds to thousands of different products available.
|Vita Pet Life Omega 3||Best Overall|
|Vet's Best Healthy Coat Shed & Itch Relief Dog Supplements||Budget Pick|
|The Missing Link Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement||Upgrade Pick|
1. Vita Pet Life Omega 3
& Organic Ingredients Multivitamin Supplement, 60 softgels.
For pet owners, it’s important to know that the ‘omega’ your dogs are getting is fish oil, and not krill oil, something that many other ‘omega’ supplements are. Because our planet’s water and air are becoming increasingly contaminated with pollutants, our pets are also becoming more susceptible to these toxins.
Because of that, it’s important to give your dogs a nutritional boost with a brand that’s produces all-natural fish oil that will help support them and promote overall health.
2. Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil
- Supports heart, brain, joint and immune functions
- High levels of Omega 3 fatty acids
- Cold-pressed from 100% wild-caught Alaska Pink Salmon
- Good for skin and coat condition
- Highly digestible
- No additives or preservatives
- Small tube for the price
- Some dogs may experience an adverse reaction to the product
Purebiotics Salmon Oil is an excellent supplement for dogs and dogs benefits for skin, hair and dog joint pain. Made from natural ingredients, it also has a salmon taste that pets love.
Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil is a nutritional supplement for dogs that contains the premium and high quality ingredients. This Alaskan Salmon oil for dogs and cats is full of fatty acids which are beneficial for dogs but it also contains a high amount of vitamin E. This is also a good source of omega-3 and this is why this product is so popular among so many pet owners.
The Pure Wild Alaskan Salmon Oil uses 100 percent natural and wild caught salmon from Alaska.
3. Zesty Paws Multivitamin Treats
- All natural ingredients
- Wheat free and gluten free
- Raised without hormones
- Comes in a resealable bag
- Grain free means more fat
- Only one flavor
- Artificial flavors
If your dog has digestive problems, it could be due to a lack of digestive enzymes and probiotics. Which is something every dog needs for healthy digestion.
With the billions of bacteria living inside every dog’s digestive tract, a deficiency or imbalance in those bacteria can lead to digestive problems.
That’s where Zesty Paws Multivitamin Treats For Dogs can help. Created with a blend of herbs and vitamins, they provide your dog’s digestive system with the nutrients it needs to restore balance.
4. Zesty Paws Omega 3 Alaskan Fish Oil Chew Treats
- Highly concentrated Omega 3
- Solidified into a chew form
- Easy to digest
- 100% organic
- Made from natural ingredients
- 80% protein and 20% Omega 3
- Contains antioxdants
- Free from allergens
- With heart and brain health
- Can support healthy hip and joint function
100% Organic Cruelty Free.
5. Best Paw Nutrition Pure Alaskan Salmon Oil
This supplement is a human grade fish oil supplement helps to improve the overall health and well-being. Contains EPA and DHA with zero fishy aftertaste while offering a pleasant aroma.
These capsules are safe for both cats and dogs and easily dissolve for swallowing. The dosage is between 1 and 4 capsules per day; it is important to consult with your veterinarian for the exact dosage based on your pet’s weight.
This supplement improves the coat and skin of dogs giving them a beautiful shiny fur. It is odourless and tasteless easily concealed in their food or liquid. The fish oil helps to improve the elasticity and texture of the skin. Dogs that suffer the joint pain are given more flexibility and agility.
6. Amazing Omega
The Amazing Omega for Dogs is suitable for all dogs; even dogs of the purest pedigree. It’s also great for dogs that are suffering from health conditions like liver disease, allergies, cancer, dry skin etc.
The EPA in this supplement is derived from natural fish oils from which the manufacturers have removed all heavy metals. This product is also free of preservatives.
Amazing Omega for Dogs also contains DHA. This substance is an important building block for the brain, skin and muscles. In dogs, it also helps to maintain proper eye sight.
7. Salmon Oil
- Provides a more bioavailable product than capsules
- Natural baseline for EPA/DHA levels
- Do not require refrigeration
- Best value for cost
- Contains Vitamin E
- Can be used for cats as well
- 500 mg soft gels for easier digestion (average dog supplement are 300 mg)
- The pills can be slightly difficult for dogs to eat
- Capsules can leak
If you need a great dog skin and coat supplement, then try Barleans Organic salmon oil. It’s excellent for muscle, healthy skin & coat, and supporting joint health. It’s a much more bioavailable version than capsules, and can be taken orally without having to refrigerate it.
Many products recommend owners to give their dogs two pills per 10 pounds of dog weight, 2 times per day. This will give your dog a total of 500 mg of EPA, a precursor to the fatty acid DHA. It’s a large pill that some dogs may have difficulty consuming, so make sure you supervise the pill consumption process closely.
8. Grizzly Omega Health
- Over 1,000 all-natural nutrients
- No fillers, additives, or preservatives
- Dog and cat safe
- No fishy smell, discoloration, or aftertaste
- Can’t be shipped to some locations
- May be a bit slow to dissolve
- Slow delivery times
- Some say shipping was bad
9. TerraMax Pro Premium Liquid Omega-3 Fish Oil
Another excellent product in our top picks is the Terramax fish oil supplement, which is packed with essential fatty acids for optimal health.
Just like humans, fish oil for dogs can improve their fur and skin health. Whether it’s to reduce allergies, fight off illnesses or symptoms caused by cancer, keeping your pooch healthy should always be your top priority.
The wild-caught fish used to make this product is sustainably farmed in the clean and cold Icelandic waters. Undenatured and unrefined, this fish oil helps support a healthy immune system, protects the heart, maintains a healthy blood pressure, along with a better outlook on life.
10. Canine Matrix Organic Mushroom Supplement
- Organic; full of antioxidants
- Shipped in a glass bottle to ensure freshness, and it’s sourced from the US
- No additives or fillers
- Aids in digestion and promotes coat and skin health
- Made in the U.S.A. with strict manufacturing standards
- The reviews are a bit inconsistent
- You may need to double up on dosage with some dogs
- The size is a bit smaller than most reviewers had hoped
This organic and vegan dog supplement by Canine Matrix is designed for dogs of all ages and sizes. It’s made with L.I.P. calories, and it’s designed to provide a healthier and longer life to your pet.
This supplement is especially good for dogs who are senior and on a strict diet, dogs who have a sensitive stomach and need the extra nutrition, and dogs that are recovering from surgery.
The supplement is a mixture of organic mushrooms, which are high in both minerals and polysaccharides. It’s a great source of nutrients and can be used to improve your dog’s overall health.
11. NaturVet – Omega-Gold Plus Salmon Oil
There are several benefits to giving your pet supplements. The lack of nutrients in today’s commercial pet foods makes that a necessity.
Vitamins and minerals are used to maintain healthy skin and coats, lay down new bone and muscle and help your dog to feel good. To put it simply, it’s about making sure that your pet looks and feels his best.
That’s what you get with the NaturVet Omega-Gold. It’s an all-natural supplement that can greatly help your animal in terms of their health and wellbeing.
12. NaturVet All-in-One Dog Supplement
- The same great quality as the original NaturVet vitamins
- Great for dogs above 35 lbs
- The tablets are easy for your dog to digest
- Helps with digestion
- Helps with skin and coat
13. Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Supplement
- Made from whole food ingredients
- All natural dog supplement
- Made in the USA
- Claims to relieve allergies and skin issues
- Can be used for dogs with diarrhea, indigestion or digestive upset
- Offers a 100% money back guarantee
- Very reasonably priced
- There were complaints that the supplement is difficult to dissolve
- It’s a supplement, not a cure
- The listed ingredients could be confusing to people using the supplement for the first time
On Amazon, Zesty Paws Allergy Immune Supplement for Dogs has more than three thousand customer reviews. The supplement combines a series of vitamins, minerals, amino acids, and antioxidants. Consisting of whole foods such as carrots, yams, radishes, brewer’s yeast, peas, broccoli, lettuce, asparagus, carrots, celery, pumpkin and blueberries, it’s designed to inhibit allergies, boost the immune system, and promote excellent health in dogs.
14. WetNozeHealth Salmon Oil Omega 3 Soft Chews
- 3 grams of EPA, DHA, and 300mg of organic turmeric per serving
- Comes in salmon and trout flavors
- Supports joint health
- Additive and minimalistic
- Works for dogs of all ages and sizes
- Natural and holistic alternative to conventional meds
- Made by a well-known and reputable company
- Good value for money
- Promotes a healthy coat and skin
- Helps eliminate many skin problems
- Some reported the salmon oil to smell fishy
- Very few negative reviews
- Large size is sometimes small for some dogs
- There is a possibility of the omega oil being rancid because they are made in a factory that also makes non-organic HEB
15. Solid Gold SeaMeal Kelp-Based Supplement
- Ideal for skin and coat health
- Works well for digestive and immune health
- Can easily be supplemented in your pet’s diet
- Highly absorbable; contains no fillers
- SeaMeal is made in America with certified organic kelp
- Organic and non-GMO
- Natural product without toxins
- Rosemary extract – helps keep fleas and ticks away
- Minimizes allergic skin reactions
- Excellent for treating and preventing inflammatory bowel disease
- Can be a bit on the expensive side, but works well
- A bit on the large side, can be difficult to stay balanced during administration
- May be too big to give to large dogs
The Solid Gold SeaMeal is a fantastic product for pets with skin conditions and stress. It contains high levels of Omega-3 and minerals which will benefit both your dog or cat’s coat and skin.
The product is made in the USA, using natural ingredients, such as sea kelp. It contains a variety of antioxidants which will help keep your pet in good health.
The ingredients are completely safe and trustworthy, and you won’t have to worry about any harmful toxins.
16. The Missing Link Pet Kelp Formula
The Missing Link is a fantastic natural dog supplement formula that helps dogs with their skin and hair problems. The plus side is that it is made from a blend of vitamins and minerals which your dog needs for muscle growth and development.
One of the big selling points of this supplement gum is that it contains kelp extract. Kelp is a “moisture magnet” and soaks up water into the hair shaft, which helps prevent skin moisture loss. This helps to restore skin and coat health. Dogs will love the taste of the supplement gum, but you can also use it as a blender for making a yummy dog treat. In fact, you can use it to give poor coat and skin dogs a happy life.
The Missing Link supplement contains the nutrients dogs require for muscle growth and development, like: calcium, copper, iron, manganese, selenium, vitamin B1, vitamin B2, vitamin B3, vitamin B5, vitamin B6, vitamin B12, vitamin C, vitamin D3, zinc, and niacin.
17. Skin and Coat Omega Supplement
- Formulated with a nutrient-dense ingredients
- Considered by many dog owners to be worth the price
What more could you ask for? With the Skin and Coat Omega Suples your pooch will look and feel like a beauty queen.
Containing vitamins, omega fatty acids, and other nutritious ingredients, Skin and Coat will keep your dog looking her best.
The Bacon flavor will make eating a pleasure for your pup.
18. BIXBI Supplements
Want to keep your dog looking and feeling great? The Bixbi Organic Pet Superfood supplement is our top choice. It’s a blend of over 14 mushroom species, which are proven to give your dog the nutrition it needs.
This dog supplement is super easy to use – just sprinkle the powder over your dogs food. There’s no need to mix it or anything. If you’re unsure of how to give the supplement, there’s a handy measuring scoop included with the package.
Pure -No ‘fillers’, no GMOs, no binders, no synthetic ingredients, and no artificial preservatives.
19. Vet's Best Healthy Coat Shed & Itch Relief Dog Supplements
- Helps to prevent skin irritation
- Relieves dandruff and itching
- Easy-to-feed vegan formula
- Contains top-quality ingredients
- Available in 3 sizes
- Doesn’t contain any harmful ingredients
- Can be used on several different breeds
- A bit expensive
- Doesn’t seem to be effective for all dogs
- Doesn’t seem to be as effective as some other remedies
If you’ve got a long-haired dog with sensitive skin, you’ll understand how irritating and hard that can be. It’s not uncommon for dogs to lose patches of hair and to develop bald skin in certain spots.
Unfortunately, that’s usually the first symptom of an underlying health condition.
As a pet owner, you’ve got several options. You can ignore the problem, put some harmful substances on your pet that may or may not help, or you can opt for a more natural treatment approach.
20. Makondo Pets Skin and Coat Supplement
- This product has been clinically proven to work
- FDA and veterinarian approved
- Helps remedy and prevent skin and coat problems in pets
- Works quickly and is easy to administer
- Packaged without harmful chemicals
- Suitable for all dog breeds and ages
- The company provides a money-back guarantee so you have nothing to lose by trying it
- This product is suitable for use on dogs and cats
- Another great feature of this product is it’s available in extra small, small, medium and large sizes
- Available with a 90 day or a 180 day guarantee
21. Pro-Sense Skin and Coat Solutions
- Clinically proven with results showing that it reduces shedding and dander within 7 days
- No medication or harmful chemicals
- Results appear almost immediately – within a few days
- Increases the density and thickness of the dog’s coat
- Absorbs well with no bad smell
- Easy to administer – just mix it into the dog’s food
- Comes in two sizes (250 or 500 tablets)
The As Seen on TV Pro-Sense Skin & Coat is a health supplement for dogs. It works by eliminating excessive shedding and dander, and also hydrates the skin.
Reviewers agree that it is one of the best supplements on the market that provides strong and immediate results. However, the manufacturers do state that Dogs may resist the taste of this supplement. You may want to get a flavor enhancer if possible. That way, it will be easier to administer to your dog.
The manufacturers state that the product needs to be fed on a daily basis for the best results. That way, your dog receives all the nutrients that are needed.
22. The Missing Link Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement
- Can be used daily and for extended periods of time
- As with all of Missing Link's supplements it’s 100% made in the US and follows strict quality standards
- It has a great taste that many dogs enjoy, even the dogs that have picky tastes
- The results are noticeable after only a few days
- It’s made of high-quality ingredients rich in Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids
- It's also a great dog multivitamin
- The price can be quite high for a daily supplement
- Can be hard to dissolve and for some users may require a blender to get a good mix
Bag – Pure, Simple and Natural, USDA Organic.
The Missing Link is an all-natural supplement that can be used daily to provide a dog with Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids and other nutrients. Providing dogs with Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids reduces the possibility for skin and coat problems.
Skin and coat supplements are a great option for those who want to enjoy beautiful dogs and don’t feel like purchasing expensive dog food with added Omega 3 & 6 Fatty Acids. Most dog owners are pleasantly surprised by how effective their skin and coat supplements are.
23. Solid Gold Dog Supplement
The Solid Gold Dog Skin & Coat Chews help to improve your dog’s skin and coat health. Solid Gold recommends mixing 1 chew into your dog’s food. Quality ingredients from salmon oil and carrots combine for an easy and natural way to maintain your dog’s skin and coat health.
Solid Gold believes in the power of Nature’s design and uses only high-quality ingredients like antioxidants, carotenoids, and vitamins to create their natural dog foods. Every ingredient serves a purpose!
Even if your dog doesn’t need to be on a special diet, this brand is a fantastic option to consider. The all-natural ingredients are highly rated and well respected. Solid Gold is also known for including organic ingredients and never genetically modified ingredients.
24. Zesty Paws Coconut Oil
- Made with Extra Virgin Coconut Oil
- Packaged Products meet international quality standards
- Great Value For Money
- Effective and Safe for All Dogs
- Can be used with other medications
- Organic Coconut Oil
- Does not work on all dogs
- Large size only
According to reviews, Zesty Paws Coconut Oil for Dogs is the number one choice for dog skin supplements. We got to admit we were moved by the hundreds of positive reviews and the different stories of people using Zesty Paws to help cure their dog’s dry skin problems.
Coconut Oil is also known as a Superfood, and one that our dogs NEED to stay healthy and have long hair. What we love about Zesty Paws is that they ONLY use Extra Virgin Coconut Oil, which makes it pure and retains its scent. So your dog won’t smell like a coconut.
We also love that it’s effective with dogs suffering from allergies, it’s great for helping treats ear conditions, and stomach issues. It will also help with hot spots, itchy skin, and dry flaky skin. It’s also an affordable option compared to other dog skin supplements.
25. NaturVet – Aller-911 Advanced Allergy Aid Plus Antioxidants
- Claims to kill fleas quickly with the combination of ingredients
- Dosage has been specially formulated for dogs
- Maintains existing oils in the skin and coat
- Ideal as a supplement for dogs suffering from allergies
- 90 days money back guarantee
- Available in 3 sizes
- Some dog owners report their dogs hate the smell of the product
- Can be hard to mix the powder
NaturVet Aller-911 Advanced Allergy Aid Plus Antioxidants aims to cure dogs of all their allergies and works against allergies to foods, flea bites and even environmental allergies. The medication is made with antioxidants. NaturVet claims that antioxidants can reverse the symptoms of an allergic reaction, like itchy skin.
The medication only comes in powder form, and you can mix with water or milk. After mixing, you should administer the serum to your dog every day for around 5 days. If the itching isn’t any better within five days, you should seek veterinary advice.
Some owners have said that with NaturVet Aller-911, it was the first product that provided real relief for their dogs. And other people have reported that the treatment was not effective at all. Overall, NaturVet Aller-911 Advanced Allergy Aid Plus Antioxidants proves to be effective for many dog owners.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best skin and coat supplement for dogs?
At the beginning of this article, we state that there will probably be no single skin and coat supplement that is best for each dog and person. This is due to the various factors that are involved in each situation. Veterinarians and dog owners have different opinions about this supplement, as you can see from the reviews above.
As a result of this, we recommend you to make use of the buyer’s guide below:
=> First, you should know the main benefits a DOG skin and coat vitamin can offer.
=> Next, you should then have a clear picture of what you are looking for in a skin and coat vitamin.
=> Then, check the dog supplements based on your needs.
What is the best supplement for dogs with itchy skin?
If you have an itchy dog, the first step to get them back to normal is usually to help itching and provide relief when your dog has an itchy skin or dry skin.
The importance of a good skin and coat supplement is that the nutrients are absorbed much more easily into a dog's blood stream and results can be seen much faster.
These supplements help heal the skin from the inside out. You need to ensure the supplement for itchy skin for dogs is 100% natural, contains high quality ingredients, and made in the USA. The itching leads to hair loss if you don't do something about it. It not just the condition of the skin but the dog's overall wellbeing.
What is the best supplement for dog shedding?
Owners of Shedding breeds should expect significant amounts of excess hair after a good brushing. Shedding is a major feature of many dog breeds: Golden Retrievers, Siberian Huskies, German Shepherds, Dalmations, Afghan Hounds, and many others, are known as good shedders.
Owners of shedding breeds often find hair around the home, disposed of in the yard, and on furniture, beds, and carpets. Hairballs and clogged up housemates are more likely.
Many pet owners complain that shedding gets worse in the winter months although breed is usually more important than season.
While most shedding breeds moult (shed their coat once or twice a year) others shed continuously throughout the year.
What can I give my dog for a healthy coat?
A great way to improve the appearance of your dog’s coat is to ensure that he is eating a well-balanced diet.
Many dog food products have supplements that are meant to improve the shine of a dog’s coat. Raw dog food diets have a lot of good ingredients that improve the luster of the coat, like vegetables and essential fatty acids. You will need to ensure that the kibble you select has ingredients like fish oil, brewers yeast, alfalfa, coconut oil, and vitamin E for optimal results.
You can also boost your dogs coat and body wellness by providing healthy treats. Frozen baby carrots are a great treat for dogs and so is a bit of raw apple. Dogs have a sweet tooth and they love these treats! It’s also a good idea to feed your dog certain vegetables such as green beans or carrots in addition to a kibble diet.
If you are looking for the best dog skin and coat supplement, I never thought it would be so difficult to find. Many dog skin and coat supplements on the market are either scams or just don’t work. But we’ve tested a lot of them so that you don’t have to. This article is based on our research that included reading hundreds of reviews. We also interviewed experts and customers. Today we reveal the best dog skin and coat supplements of 2019.
|Vita Pet Life Omega 3||Best Overall|
|Vet's Best Healthy Coat Shed & Itch Relief Dog Supplements||Budget Pick|
|The Missing Link Original All Natural Superfood Dog Supplement||Upgrade Pick|