Dogs feel the heat differently than we do. Just like us, they don’t like the intense heat, but unlike us, some don’t seem to show any signs of it. They can easily get heatstroke in hot weather without showing any symptoms.
Whether your dog is a show dog or an average family pet, working out in the heat can be dangerous for them. Besides overheating, heatstroke can also lead to heart and kidney problems, as well as muscle damage and nerve damage.
Dog thermometers measure the body temperature of your pet. They produce instant results, are pain- and stress-free, and may even save your canine’s life. They can also determine the right time to take your dog for a walk.
|iProven Pet Thermometer||Best Overall|
|ADC Veterinary Thermometer||Budget Pick|
|Pavia Rectal Temp Thermometer||Upgrade Pick|
1. iProven Pet Thermometer
2. aurynns Pet Dog Thermometer Horse Anus Thermometer Fast Digital Veterinary Thermometer
- Accurate: the temperature can be read accurately within 1-2 minutes
- Efficient: with a removable probe
- Portable: it can be used in the dog’s anus and mouth to measure the body temperature
- Durable: made of medical silicone material which is safe, durable and lightweight
- Easy to use: compatible with iOS Android mobile phones; can display the temperature in Celsius Fahrenheit
- Equipped with alarm system: the LED light will turn red when the dog’s temperature is abnormal
- Charge for backup: battery powered. Provides 5 hours of continuous using time.
- Accurate: the temperature can be read accurately within 1-2 minutes.
- Efficient: with a removable probe.(Convenience)
- Portable: it can be used in the dog’s anus and mouth to measure the body temperature.
3. ADC Veterinary Thermometer
The ADC Veterinary thermometer is simple to use and provides accurate readings.
It comes with a large LCD display that’s easy to read. It has both Fahrenheit and Celsius readings that are clearly visible. You can select between the two and change to Celsius or Fahrenheit simply by pushing a button.
The probe clips on securely to your pet.
4. AURYNNS Pet Thermometer Dog Thermometer
What We Liked:
- Very accurate
- Easy to use/read
- Different colors for different temperature reading
- The probe size is just right for not so large dog
What We Disliked:
- No safety protection
- Hard to take out from animal mouth for reading
- Poor instructions
5. SHARPTEMP-V. Fast
6. Hurinan Animal Electronic Ehermometer Pet Thermometer Digital Thermometer is a Fast Rectal Thermometer
* Very easy to operate – just plug it in
* Affordable and works as advertised
* Features a large display
* Takes less than 5 seconds to read body temperature
* Pretty easy to clean
8/5 rating with over 200 reviews on Amazon. The Hurinan is basically a plug-in thermometer. All you do is plug it in, switch it on, and insert it into the animal’s rectum.
It quickly takes the animal’s temperature (about 3-5 seconds). Then it displays it in clear easy to read large numbers. The thermometer takes two AAA batteries.
7. Pavia Rectal Temp Thermometer
When making a purchase, you want to ensure you’re getting the most accurate reading possible, which is why many owners choose the Pavia rectal thermometer.
The FDA cleared glass bulb type thermometer provides the utmost accuracy with temperatures readings in just 2 seconds.
The probe offers a wide range of measurement from 92.4 to 108.2 F. Plus, there’s measurement setting with appropriate body temperature markers run through the age of 3 to 95.
8. IDEAL Digital Thermometer
We didn’t include a lot of different pet thermometers in this review because there are so many different types and brands at a wide range of prices. If you’d like a comprehensive guide on dog thermometers, then we suggest trying this one.
9. Advanced Monitors Pet-Temp Ear Thermometer
This is an instant thermometer that has been developed with pets in mind. It uses a probe that doesn’t have to touch the animal.
It’s suitable for use on dogs, cats, chicks, turtles & even for human applications! For the latter it can be used to take the temperature of fevers, babies, or check on the temperature of sick people.
The standards functions come with the ability to test on 16 different animals and are available under 16 different language.
10. Keenhealth Digital Pet Thermometer
Finding your pet a quality thermometer can be a bit challenging, especially if you own a dog. Dogs have very thick and furry skin which makes them very difficult to read. Luckily, the Keen Heath Digital Pet Thermometer for dogs is designed with this challenge in mind. This is designed for small animals, which means it will work perfectly for pets under 20 pounds. The large digital monitor will give you accurate results in no time.
This thermometer is designed very well, especially for puppies. Due to the large screen with bold and clear numbers, it is very easy to read. This is especially good for older eyes. Another great feature is the back button. The back button will take you back to the main menu, so you can view the results over and over again.
Another really good feature is the fact that this thermometer operates on one button, making it very easy to use. There are no buttons to push, and all you need to do is insert it and wait.
11. Non-Contact Infrared Thermometer
- Easy to use and lightweight
- Has an adjustable emmission area
- Uses infrared rather than touch to take temperature
- Can measure object temperature
- Comes with a 9-volt battery and 9-volt battery charger
The ELVASEN digital laser thermometer is an infrared thermometer that is used by parents to measure and keep check of their kid’s temperature. If you have a baby or toddler who’s under 3 this is a great, affordable option and might come in handy if they are suffering from a fever.
While medical grade thermometers are meant to remain in the mouth for 10-30 seconds, this particular thermometer measures temperature by detecting heat with infrared rays.
12. Flexible Digital Thermometer
Measuring and monitoring the temperature is a fundamental part of keeping your dog healthy, so our top pick is the flexible digital thermometer which is incredibly accurate. Fortunately, monitoring your dog’s temperature is quite simple. You can measure his temperature and get a reading in less than 5 minutes.
We understood that some people want a thermometer that has different features and would therefore consider a product that’s a little more advanced. For that, we have the next thermometer, which is the FDA-approved thermometer, which is a bit more expensive.
Even if you’re a complete beginner, using the thermometer is very simple. It’s a one button operation, and all you have to do is to press the button. The thermometer will then flash and give you the reading within a few seconds.
13. Forehead Thermometer Safe Non-Contact Instant Read
First of all, you should only use a fever thermometer when you actually have a fever. Using a thermometer cools down your body, which is why it’s important to take a reading at a time when your body temperature is elevated. Using a thermometer when you actually have a cold would end up making your temperature even lower.
Since thermometers don’t cost much, it makes sense to buy one that has multiple functionality. For example, some thermometers can measure the temperature of the room (or the entire house…) or your baby’s diaper (before and after a long romp in the sun). This is useful information to have, which is why thermometers are recommended for the entire family.
There are a few different types of thermometers, but the most common is a forehead thermometer. This type of thermometer is widely used by adults and children, because it’s fast and accurate.
14. Care Touch Digital Thermometer
- Care Touch is superior to other thermometers in this price range
- The Care Touch is accurate and the reading is fast
- Care Touch is able to measure the temperature accurately without any problem
- The Care Touch is safe for both children and adults
| Waterproof Ear and Digital Thermometer Combo | 4.5""-5'' Probe Covers for Infants and Toddler
15. WEALLNERSSE Digital Infrared Forehead Thermometer Gun
- Provides accurate results in seconds
- Features an automatic shut-off function
- Doesn’t heat up in contact with the skin
- Can be used for measurement of your pet’s temperature
- Extremely easy to use: a single button for all functionalities
- Comes with a detailed user manual
- Extremely high accuracy: +/- 0.1 C
- Has a “last temperature” memory function
- Can be used on children, the elderly, and even dogs
- Comes with a protective plastic bag, a carrying strap, and 2 AA batteries
- Sometimes the readings are inaccurate because of difficulty locating the right position
- The infrared readings aren’t always precise
If you’re looking for a basic but reliable head thermometer, then the WEALLNERSSE is the one for you. It comes in a sleek design and can be used for both humans and pets.
16. Oral Rectal Armpit Underarm Thermometer
17. Pet Non-Contact Thermometer
- The C and F readings and dual displays
- Works for both humans as well as animals … even horses!
- The fever alarm
- The sturdy construction
- The plastic carrying case
- The alarm beeps a second time
- The numbers are small
If you’re looking for a non-contact thermometer for your pet – especially cats or dogs – then go with the ETG. It’s designed primarily for pets, but you can also use it for humans and even horses.
Veterinarians frequently use this thermometer. The thermometer measures temperatures between -40 degrees C and 60 degrees C (-40 degrees F to 140 degrees F). The C and F switch is a nice little touch to make it more convenient for all users.
18. Best Digital Medical Thermometer
This wireless dog thermometer offers more accuracy than any rectal thermometer. It is recommended for both puppies and adult dogs.
It allows to monitor your pet’s temperature in a way that’s easy to do and not uncomfortable for them.
The thermometer has a large LCD display that’s easy to read and comes with a fever alarm that you can activate.
19. ACCUIT Digital Forehead and Ear Thermometer
- Forehead thermometer
- Accurate within 0.2 degrees
- Comfortably measure temperature within 5 seconds
- Batteries are included
- Quickly programmed to eliminate the need for rereading instructions
- Provides measurement readings within 16 seconds
- 100% satisfaction guaranteed
- Batteries are included, which is unheard of with other brands
- Storage case for easy and convenient storage
20. Mindpet-med Fast Clinical Pet Thermometer
- Can measure heats within a few seconds
- Measurement degrees for Fahrenheit or Celsius
- It is very easy to use, you can just insert the probe into the ear canal and press the button
- It has three modes of measurements: body temperature, surface temperature, and outside room temperature
- One of the most affordable
- Perfect for dog or cat owners that want to easily monitor their pet’s temperatures
- Can store temperature readings in memory for up to 10 readings
- Comes in an elegant packaging with a handle for easy transportation
- The product is 100% guaranteed to work and is very reliable
- It is very easy to clean
- Air temperature isn’t measured
- Measures temperatures in degrees Fahrenheit only
- The product is not waterproof
- The product can’t measure human body temperature
21. Pet Clinic Thermometer
For Human and Pet, Rapid Read.
This is a very simple thermometer. To use it you stick it in the anal area of your pet, which may be a little uncomfortable for some pets. On the other hand, this is dangerous for others, because if your pet defecates while being monitored, it would be a huge mess. Furthermore, this thermometer takes over 1 second to get a reading, which is the most amount of time you can take before the temp drops.
But, this is really minor and the Pet Clinic is ideal. It’s an inexpensive, accurate thermometer that is easy to use. Just make sure you don’t have messy pets.
22. Digital Pet Thermometer,Fast Rectal and Oral Thermometer
- The long, flexible tip minimizes the risk of damage to your pet’s body during the probe insertion process. At the same time, the thin probe makes it convenient to get accurate readings even for pets with small mouth and body size.
- With a backlight LCD screen, there’s no need for turning on the room’s light to read the thermometer. The LCD screen is large enough that it’s easy to read.
- The product is FDA, CE and ISO certified. The package also includes a user manual, batteries, and a carry case.
- The thermometer is included with a 2-year warranty
- The battery life is not very good
- It doesn’t work very well when it’s dark outside
The Digital Pet Thermometer,Fast Rectal and Oral Thermometer for Dogs, Cats, Horses, Pets and Livestock,Body Temperature Clinical Professional Detecting Pet Veterinary Thermometer-Random Color is one of the best pet thermometers in the market today. And it’s also one of the most affordable options too.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog thermometer?
A dog fever thermometer will allow you to take the temperature of your dog without having to squirt things in their ear or try to measure their own temperature beneath the tongue.
Overall, these are pretty neat little devices that you can use to not only spot-check your dog's body temperature but also more importantly, can alert you to a possible fever in your dog. If you're a dog owner and especially if you have a dog with a history of runny noses, I would definitely suggest having a thermometer of some sort available. It can save you a lot of worry!
Which type of thermometer is the most accurate?
We should say that the most modern types of thermometers are digital and infrared. Each of them has its advantages and disadvantages.
Digital thermometers are becoming much more popular. This is a result of their accuracy, stability and the ability to connect with other devices. Users like this type of thermometer because it is very easy to use. You just need to bring it close to the sick person’s mouth, and it will show you the exact temperature.
Infrared thermometers have everything that a digital thermometer has, but they are different. They emit infrared light that penetrates the object you need to measure. It is especially recommended for objects that can’t be touched, like a child’s forehead. Infrared thermometers measure temperature in a very short period of time.
What is the best infrared thermometer on the market?
An infrared thermometer is an instrument used to detect the temperature of an object.
The infrared thermometer is the best to use with pets.
I have heard of quite a few occasions where this has been the only product that has worked on a scared pet.
The infrared thermometer can pick up a pet’s temperature in a matter of seconds and it is painless which is always a plus point.
I have also read of occasions where a highly ill pet has gotten a fever, the owners were told to go to the hospital, however, the pet loved the family so much wre were afraid to take them, in that case, this instrument was effective in determining the fever, but always follow up with a veterinarian.
The thermometer works excellent, I have used it on myself, my husband and my pet dog.
Can you use human thermometer for dog?
On a general note, yes it is possible to use a human thermometer for a dog, although you may have to readjust a little.
Firstly, you must choose a pet thermometer that has been designed for dogs, although a pet-type one should suffice. Ideally, a pet thermometer designed specifically for dealing with animals of the type you own will be the best option.
Once you've chosen a pet thermometer, use an ear thermometer if possible, as these are the most accurate.
If you have to use an ear thermometer for a dog, then ensure you buy one designed for humans as an ear thermometer for pets may have a different purpose.
The same goes for a rectal (buttock) thermometer too. A human buttock thermometer would more than likely not be well-designed enough to use on a dog's buttock.
Is your dog feeling a little too hot or a little too cold? A good thermometer can help you take an accurate reading and leave you with the satisfaction that they are feeling good. Here we give you the best dog thermometers, along with buying advice to help you choose the right one, right now.
|iProven Pet Thermometer||Best Overall|
|ADC Veterinary Thermometer||Budget Pick|
|Pavia Rectal Temp Thermometer||Upgrade Pick|