Training your dog to behave properly and learn basic commands can be tricky. You may find that your dog doesn’t always have a strong response to training. This can be because he isn’t comfortable with the collar, or he doesn’t have the patience or focus to sit still for training, or because he has other distractions and is easily distracted. You can fix this easily by getting a dog training collar.
Training collars are nothing new. They’ve been around at least since the 1950s, but they’ve gotten far more design and tech centric over the last decade. These types of dog collars can give you far more control and communication over your dog while increasing his obedience.
As a result, they’re becoming more used by dog owners and trainers alike, and are more popular now than ever before — and very affordable!
1. Dogtra EDGE Long Range High-Output 1-Mile Waterproof 4-Dog Expandable Remote Dog Training E-Collar
- Most user-friendly collars
- Affordable compared to traditional dog training collars
- Excellent range – up to 1 mile
- Eco-friendly – no harmful chemicals
- Features vibration and tone correction
- Excellent customer support
- Not approved by all breeds of dogs
- Some dogs may need more advanced training
- Has a relatively small transmitter
The Dogtra EDGE is a Long Range 4-dog expandable remote training system which is out of this world. It – Led by the proven Dogtra RF technology, which is used to train guide dogs, police dogs, drug sniffing dogs, search and rescue dogs, military dogs, and other high level working dogs. The Dogtra EDGE is 100% waterproof and can survive even the most rigorous training. Like all Dogtra collars, it features vibration and tone correction.
The Dogtra EDGE is designed to be more user-friendly than the typical dog training collar. The intensity control on the collar can be locked in the OFF position, preventing accidental shock settings. It also features a watertight battery compartment and includes a belt clip for easy carrying.
2. Educator E-Collar Remote Dog Training Collar
- Adjustable for dogs – 30 kg (66 lb) to 80 kg (176 lb)
- Can be used by you and your dog for as many years to come
- 100 percent money-back guarantee
- A battery included
- No upfront costs, or hidden fees
- You can train a dog of any size or breed
- Both types of remote training collars – no vibration and beep/vibration
- Both types are easy to use, your pet will get used to them fast
- Waterproof remote
- Lifetime warranty for the entire device
- A bit big
- A big forehead of the dog makes this collar sometimes fall off
This dog training collar is the best purchase of the decade. In fact, it is the best collar in comparison to all others.
3. Dog Training Collar
- Water proof and durable
- Includes instructions and one year warranty
- Can be used on any dog breed that weighs between 8-80 pounds
- Consistent and reliable
- Can be used for different purposes like bark cancellation, as a dog training collar, or as gentle leash agitation
- This product is only waterproof before it is fully submerged in water. Once the product is underwater, it is not waterproof.
- The collar has to be kept in good condition, after some time it can get broken easily.
- The vibration that is emitted from the collar isn’t working for certain dogs.
- The customer service is not well, and it is quite hard to get in touch with them.
- Not all features can be used on all dogs, if the collar is not used correctly the dog will have to deal with the pain and won’t understand that they are doing something bad.
4. SportDOG Brand 425X Remote Trainers
- Specially designed for dog training at home or in the field
- Has 6 static levels plus tone and vibrate
- A good range of application up to 500 yards
- Waterproof, rechargeable and easy to clean
- Textured case and collar strap for better grip
- Premium quiality for maximum durability
- Pulse timing system for better timing and accuracy
- Advanced safety features to prevent false triggering
- Comes with a 1 Year warranty
5. PetSpy P620B Dog Training Shock Collar
- Comes with voice commands – if you prefer to train your dog in this way rather than with shock and vibration then this might be the best dog training collar for you
- Has a built-in warning light to notify you when the battery is about to run out
- Allows you to train two dogs at once – which is great if you have more than one dog
- The range on the collar is 1200 meters
- Can work with older dogs – as it will work well if your dog’s fur is longer than 6mm
- Is designed to be waterproof – which is great if you need to train your dog in the rain
- The collar itself is rechargeable – no need for batteries
- The price point might be a little steep for some, but it’s well worth it if you have a dog that’s particularly hard to train
- It’s 2 collars in one which can be great, but you will need two contacts on your credit card
- You have to be careful that when you attach this collar to your dog you do it well to avoid the remote control from accidentally hitting the shock button
- Only comes in pink
For Dogs, Pet Botanic.
6. TBI Pro Shock Collar
- Provides up to 1600 feet range
- Adjustable for dogs of all sizes
- LED display for easy monitoring
- Vibration and static stimulation options
- Not very user-friendly
- Collar is fragile
- Customer service is not great
- Not waterproof
There are no shortage of quality dog training collars on the market, but the TBI Pro is a great option to consider. When it comes to delivering shock therapy, there are 2 methods: “electric” and “static.” Also referred to as “static shock” and “vibration” this collar is an excellent choice for correcting unpredictable and destructive behavior.
What’s great is that they come in waterproof design, which makes sense because dogs do a lot of swimming and fishing.
With the TBI Pro, you can feel confident that your dog is getting the highest quality of care. You won’t have to worry about them disliking the collar or being sad. They’ll be able to enjoy the full comfort of the collar and learn more effectively.
7. Dogtra 3502NCP Super X Waterproof Two Dog Expandable High-Output Remote Dog Training E-Collar
- Waterproof collar
- Waterproof receiver
- Weatherproof handheld transmitter/receiver
- Low battery indicator
- Expandable, for two dogs
- Long battery life
- Good warranty
- Expensive, relative to most options
- Can be challenging to fit properly
- Relatively limited functionality in the transmitter/receiver unit
- Charging process is time consuming
- Can be difficult to operate
The PetSafe “SportDOG®” FieldTrainer® 350 is the ideal tool for both beginners and the most hardened expert when it comes to dog training.
It offers the perfect balance between ease of use and functionality.
8. Aetertek AT-211SW Little Small Dog Remote Training Shock Collar
The Aetertek AT-211SW is a fantastic remote training collar for all dogs.
This small size training collar makes it the best for a small dog or puppy.
It’s perfect when you want to be aware of your dogs training while still able to stay in touch with your dog while you’re away.
9. Petrainer PET998DRB1 Dog Training Collar Rechargeable and Rainproof 330 yd Remote Dog Shock Collar
- Comes with 3 functional modes
- Water-resistant with an anti-corrosion design
- Seven adjustable levels
- Rechargeable with a long-lasting battery
- Detachable receiver collar
- Outward pull correction
- User-friendly with a sturdy build
- The price is affordable and worth every penny
For Training Dogs, Puppies.
Not all dog training collars are created equal. The Petrainer PET998DRB1 is a training collar on a budget that doesn’t sacrifice on quality.
It’s affordable, easy-to-use, and most of all, effective.
10. Puss and Pooch Dog Training Collar
- The price
- The safety features
- The remote battery life
For Small, Medium, Large Dogs.
11. Dog Training Collar
- Beautiful and elegant design
- Water resistant and water-proof
- Easily adjustable nylon collar
- Strong and powerful signal
- Light and comfortable
- Large LCD screen with low battery indicator
- Longer shock control range
- No smell and suitable for all kinds of weather
12. 1000Ft Range Remote Dog Training Collar
The GarrettWade NoBark Deluxe collar is a high-end electronic collar with a range of up to 1000 feet. The collar is omnidirectional, allowing it to operate in any direction, making it virtually impossible to get your dog trapped in a corner.
The collar features 40 variable levels of static correction. The collar is also waterproof, and equipped with an overcharge protection circuit – meaning it’s impossible to overcharge it.
The collar also has 8 different training modes: strong vibration, gentle vibration, beep, low stimulation, high stimulation, shock, vibrate and flash.
13. Petronics Rechargeable Shock Training Collar
- Helps with basic commands such as sit, stay, and come
- Provides an immediate response from your pet
- The collar is water-resistant
- The training receiver has a low battery level indicator that doesn’t work
- The remote control is easy to lose
- There are no instructions on how to set the level of shock
- The collar doesn’t have a lock feature that prevents it from turning on accidentally
This collar is most suited for dogs that are at least 6 months old. Make sure that the device is charged properly, as the instructions provided with the product are inadequate.
14. Banne Dog Training Collar
- 650 yard range
- Fully waterproof
- 43 levels of vibration, tone, and shocks
- Whistle that works up to 100 yards
- Great for dogs up to 88 lbs
- 7 day long battery life
- Collar is fully submersible
- Can be linked to up to 5 dogs
- It is bulky
- Only has 1 training mode
- The shocks are inconsistent
- The remote feels like a toy
If you’re looking for a non-lethal training collar, then the Banne Dog Bark Control Collar may be a good fit for you. The collar comes with four training modes: voice, vibration, tone, and shock. The lowest shock setting is 0.9-2.8 volts. This collar also comes with 7 levels of intensity.
It comes in three sizes: medium, large, and extra-large. It has a range up to 650 yards. The collar only works with the included remote – not on it’s own. Weighing 1.5 lbs, it’s durable and well-designed. There are some flaws, however. These include a bulkier than usual remote, the button is in an awkward position, and the button is sometimes unresponsive.
15. A+ Trainer 800 Yards Range Remote Dog Training Collar,(5 Years Warranty) Rechargeable and Waterproof Dog Shock Collar
Our top pick is A+ trainer 800 yards range remote dog training collar, which is made by one of the best dog shock collar manufacturers. This training collar comes with a transmitter, a collar, and lanyards. The remote is easy to use and features a back-lit LCD screen with large buttons.
The A+ Trainer 800 has five adjustable levels of static correction and an additional vibration and beep mode. You can also use it as a deterrent when your dog is getting up and moving around too much. This is thanks to the 100-yard range and five levels of static correction.
We absolutely love that this transmitter is compatible with both dogs and cats! And it comes with an effective waterproof collar! You may also opt for the pager, which can be attached to your dog’s collar. It has a decent range of 800 yards, which plenty of dogs are comfortable working with.
16. EtekStorm Rechargeable Electronic Dog Training Collar
- Excellent quality, top brand
- Durable, doesn’t fall apart or rip
- Sleek design
- More humane than pinch collars
- Option to choose between vibration, tone, or shock
- Good for dogs from 15 to 200 lbs.
- Lightweight and small enough to use for smaller breeds of dog
- User-friendly, straightforward, and easy to read LCD display
Breeds, Electric Collar for Small Dogs).
17. Awaiymi Dog Training Collar
- The price is incredible for the features that are provided
- The product is excellent quality and the training collar can be adjusted to meet the needs of larger and smaller dogs
- It comes equipped with all the standard features that you would need in a training collar
- It allows you to set the level of shock that you see relevant to what is happening to your dog
- The design is also quite attractive for many people making it an option that doubles as beautiful
- It is waterproof so that it can be worn in all circumstances
- It comes with a lifetime warranty
18. Shock Collar
- Can be charged through a wall charger or a pc USB port.
- Rechargeable for no batteries and more efficient.
- Strong wiring and durable.
- Waterproof for training dogs in any weather.
- The remote controller has shock and vibration which can be used separately to train your dog.
- Completely adjustable.
- The collar is safe and can be used on any dog who weighs under 250 pounds.
- The device is not suitable for dogs who weigh over 120 pounds.
- The device only functions on certain vibration and frequency settings.
- The device may be a bit too strong for some dogs.
From $ 19.9
If your dog is a bit stubborn and hard to train, you need a collar that can be both gentle on your dog and effective. The WEIO dog training collar is the perfect dog training collar for such dogs.
The WEIO dog training collar is a powerful and ergonomic dog training collar with the most reliable vibration and shock settings and versatile functions. The collar is completely waterproof and can be used to train your dog in any weather. The collar is an effective training tool that combines safety and comfort for your dog.
- The non-pulling, non-flicking aim allows you to train your dogs comfortably without harming them or yourself
- Perfect for small, medium and large dogs
- 100% waterproof design
- High-frequency stimulation, perfect for irritating your dog
- Prolonged battery life
- Comfortable to wear
- Adjustable nylon straps
- A range of 1, 000-2, 000 meters
- Various modes of operation for your different training needs
- Can be purchased in a couple of different colors – blue and orange
- Power button can be hard to press
- Suitable only for indoor use
- The line can easily get tangled
- Not totally waterproof
- Not adjustable on the dog’s neck size
Barking/Whining/Chewing Correction, Water-Resistant Sweat-Resistant Collars (Blue) by Marsboy.
The Marsboy [Upgraded] Dog Training Collar, Rechargeable and All-Weather-Resistant, Dogs, is a perfect entry level collar for anyone new to dog training.
20. UL Pet Dog Rechargeable Trainer Waterproof Stop Barking Collars Remote Dog Training Collar
With Vibration, Shock, Beep, Light.
Ul dog training collar is the ultimate rechargeable training collar for dogs. It ships worldwide with free shipping and is made from high quality, waterproof and durable materials. The items come with a 2-year warranty and customer service online.
There are 8 unique training modes suitable for almost any dog behavior from anxiety to barking. It’s convenient for both indoor and outdoor use. The dog training collar is perfect for barking dogs, restless dogs, disobedient dogs, distracted dogs, and hyper dogs.
21. PetSion 2018 Newest Dog Training Collar
22. PaiPaitek Rechargeable 500 Yard Remote 1 Dog Blue Screen Waterproof 100 Level Vibrate Shake Pet Dog Training Collar Bark Stop Collar Trainer E-Collar Pet Dog No Bark Collar Bark Stopper PD 520 S
The PaiPaitek is a budget-friendly remote dog training collar. Despite the low price, it still has a lot of features that make it ideal for beginners as well as those on a budget. It comes with three adjustable levels and has an optional vibration mode. It also has many safety features like multi-safety protection, sound reminding, and auto-reset. Furthermore, the remote has a rare “lock” function, which prevents unwanted use.
The collar comes in three sizes: small, medium, and large. The standard kit also comes with a waterproof USB charger. Which is hard to find in other similar products. As well as a waterproof remote with a wrist strap and a carabiner. The receiver in this model is waterproof as well.
The sizeable range (up to 500 yards) is long enough for most needs. We definitely wish you could change the remote settings – that way you could choose the right level for your pet.
23. hipidog Shock Collar
- Can be charged from a USB port
- Great battery life
- Tougher build
- 4 adjustable correction levels
- Does not come with a manual
- Isn’t the most durable collar out there
- The “eye” (the metal part where the pup can touch it) is difficult to clean
Cats, Puppies, Electric Shock for Small Medium Large Pets, IOS5 Guide App (Black).
This is one of the best dog training collar for your pet as it’s versatile and it has been designed to work with multiple dogs of different shapes and sizes. Also, it is waterproof which is something that you can’t neglect when choosing a training collar for your dog.
The collar is controlled from a remote device that you can carry with you. This device comes with easy to use buttons that will allow you to control your dog with just a touch. This way your pet won’t be able to run away from you.
24. VINSIC Dog Training Collar
- It’s water and shock proof
- Can be used for a dog up to 90 lb
- No need to use it manually; instead, you can program it to function via remote
- It can be used as an obedience training collar
- It allows you to set the shock intensity to 4 different levels
- The remote function is easy to use
- It’s a good training aid for pets with behavioral issues
- It gives a quick response that makes it easy to train dogs
- The collar is easy to put on your pet
- The remote control comes with a wall outlet charger
- It’s basic and needs work for long term use
- The range can be a tad short if your dog doesn’t stay nearby
- The receiver and the collar are a tad bulky
- The cord can get tangled in the collar
- The remote sometimes can be hard to use
Vinsic is a Chinese manufacturer of electronics products for pet training and development.
25. Clever sprouts TrainPark Dog Training Shock Collar
- This is one of the most accurate training collars on the market.
- It will stop working automatically when the batteries are low.
- It delivers less shocks with less stimulations.
- You can train your dog well using the smart automatic saving feature.
- You can choose 7 different collar sizes (see more below).
- This is suitable for many breeds and sizes of dogs.
- The collar is waterproof, therefore, it works well in all weather conditions.
- It is easy to clean and maintain.
- It has isolated smell.
- It is a very stylish collar.
- The instructions that come with the product are not very helpful. Thus, you may have to research a little to get the hang of it.
- The range only reaches as far as 1000 yards.
- It doesn’t come with any training manual, but the company indeed provides a user manual online.
Bark Control, Anti Bark Collar Up to 1000 Yards Adjustable Stimulation,Auto Shut off.
Ranking: 4.7/5 Stars
26. amoPets Dog Training e Collar
- Lighter than other competing models
- Weather resistant
- On the higher end of the price spectrum
- The collar runs on two AAA batteries
- Not suitable for very small dogs
I think some dog owners have this fear of the bark collar. I know that I did, but it's just a simple tool which is used to guide your dog into the ways of good behavior. Just like training a puppy. If we step back and think about it, dogs don't live in our world. They don't understand our rules and commands.
If you have an adolescent dog that's already causing havoc and destroying the neighborhood. Then yes, you need off the leash and a well-behaved dog who listens to you. That's where this watch comes in. It contains multiple configurations of tones you can use in varying degrees of intensity and duration.
It's packed with three different levels of stimulation that can be used alone or together depending on your dog's needs. It has a warning tone, a vibration mode, a flashing light and the shock mode. I really like the fact that this kit comes with everything you need to get going and includes a training manual on how to effectively use it.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog training collar?
That depends on your needs and what works best for your dog.
If you have a rescue dog who has never been trained before, you may want to consider a collar that produces a vibration or a sound rather than a shock.
Puppies gradually get used to different noises through their life, so they learn to stop making the noise. The same can be said for a dog collar.
Puppies should wear the collar for a short period while being trained on what the noise or vibration means. It is also important to wear the collar until the puppy associates it with learning, rather than with being irritated.
The same goes for use of shock collars. In fact, they should never be on a dog for an extended time period.
Puppies often grow accustomed to the sensation of having their neck pricked by the collar, and it renders the collar useless.
Which dog training method is best?
There is no one answer that fits every dog behavior situation and trainer so this category is extremely difficult to answer.
The first step is to try and figure out which categories match your dog. For example, does your dog bark excessively, refuse to come when called, not listen well when on walks, need to learn a new trick, or have a fear of noises?
Once you’ve identified the categories that match your dog you can then consider training methods. It might be best to seek a trainer that has experience with your specific issue. Or, if you really like a particular training method, such as using treats, you can find someone who uses that method.
Selecting your training method should really boil down to your opinion and your dog’s personality.
What is the best e collar?
It will depend a bit on the type of dog (or dogs) you are training. I have reviewed several that work really well for different dogs. You want a collar that is durable, has the features your dog needs and is simple to use. I have also included reviews of some of the best remote training systems as well.
Don’t forget to check out the e collar accessories (such as the dog GPS tracker and dog bark collar), which are just as important as the collar.
For the basics of why and how to use an electronic collar, check out the Beginner’s Guide to Dog Training with an E-Collar.
Do dog trainers recommend shock collars?
Differences have been reported between dogs trained with shock collars versus those trained through more traditional methods. With traditional methods, dog owners engage with dogs through behavioral shaping, while training with shock collars relies on pain. That pain, of course, ultimately deters the dog from the action that causes pain.
Iím in no way a dog trainer and canít provide first-hand insight to the effectiveness of these products. I welcome thoughts and perspectives from anyone who trains dogs. I cannot attest to the comparitive effectiveness of these shock collars versus more traditional methods, so do your own research.
However, in consideration of ergonomic issues and the fact that these collars are that they are dangerous for dogs needing any kind of assistance, I simply cannot recommend them.
That said, if you already have one and need helpful tips on how to use them, I recommend the recommendations.
As you might expect, choosing the best dog training collar can be confusing. They all look so different. There’s the QuickFit Training Collar by Pet Tech Company. Or the Smart training collar by e-collars. But how do you pick which is the best dog training collar? We’re here to help.