The best dog water fountains are designed to deliver fresh, filtered water for your dog. These water fountains can be a place for your dog to get some exercise, too, and are a great way to promote the overall health of your pet.
With hundreds of dog water fountains on the market, choosing the right one might seem impossible. But we’ve done the hard work for you and put together this list of the best pet water fountains.
You’ve got a lot of decisions to make when it comes to choosing the right dog water fountain. Will your dog drink from a river? Perhaps a yard fountain or a filtered water feeder would be more your style.
We’ve included the best dog water fountains for the indoor and outdoor use. The pet water fountain is made of various types of plastics, stainless steel, and sometimes copper.
We also give you tips to get the correct size water fountain for your dog.
|Pet Fountain Cat Water Dispenser||Best Overall|
|Flexzion Pet Water Dispenser Station||Budget Pick|
|PetSafe Ceramic Cat and Dog Water Fountains||Upgrade Pick|
1. Pet Fountain Cat Water Dispenser
- The sleek design makes it perfect for any room
- Comes in two colors
- Water capacity: 240 Oz
- 1500 watt motor
- It’s great for multiple pet households
A lot of reviews to read (and review writers to read), but this top 3 is worth the effort. All of our top 3 are completely portable and mess-free. For smaller dogs, go for the top one. For bigger, stronger dogs who need more pressure, the bottom two choices are recommended.
2. Petmate Whisker Doodle Gravity Cat Dog Waterer
What’s the point of getting a dog if you’re always thirsty? If you’re looking to purchase a water fountain for your thirsty pooch, consider the Petmate Whisker Doodle Fountain.
The Petmate Whisker Doodle fountain is an indoor water fountain that provides your pet with endless streams of fresh, cool water. How does it work? Just fill the reservoir with water and plug it in. The fountain comes with a battery backup to keep the motor running for up to 12 hours without power.
3. PetSafe Drinkwell Multi-Tier Cat and Dog Water Fountain
This pet fountain is a great choice if you have cats and dogs. It comes in an array of colors, so you can choose according to your preferences.
It does not only provide your pet with fresh water to drink, but it also helps improve pet health. It has an additional water filter, which prevents the growth of bacteria. This, in turn, helps prevent pet urinary issues.
The best feature of this pet fountain is its ability to be used with a wide range of water sources. It comes with a PetSafe adapter, which allows you to use it with any water faucet. Including the bathtub faucet!
4. iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain丨Ultra Quiet
- Easily adjustable flow of water
- Great ergonomics and aesthetics
- The curved design allows for easy cleaning
- Doesn’t waste water
- Has to be constantly refilled due to the non-replaceable filter
- The pump’s delay can be annoying
This is one of the best water fountains for small dog available in the market right now. The iPettie Tritone Ceramic Pet Drinking Fountain is simply a worthwhile product to invest in.
This model is highly recommended for owners who want to own a pet fountain but have little room for decorating. It’s made solely of ceramic, which makes it a durable option that won’t easily break. It also has an ultra quiet design that won’t disturb your sleep or your dog.
This fountain’s design is similar to some of the pricier models. It has an acrylic casing that holds up to 168oz. There are also three adjustable nozzles to control the flow of water.
5. PetSafe Drinkwell Zen Stainless Steel Dog and Cat Water Fountain
For Pets up to 20.
Although it is a bit pricey, this particular water fountain is designed to keep your dog well hydrated.
The filter comes fully assembled and what’s great about it is that it doesn’t use batteries – you can keep your dog hydrated by placing the water fountain on a raised stand.
6. PetSafe Drinkwell Cat and Dog Water Fountain
The main advantage of having a pet water fountain installed in your home or office is that it helps to keep your pet hydrated.
Given that pets can’t use the toilet like we do, they can get scolded for “making a mess” if their water bowl is full of water. Water fountains are also a lot healthier than a stagnant bowl full of water.
In addition, they are made for both cats and dogs. So if you have both in your home, you can opt for a larger one to meet the needs of both.
7. Old Tjikko Dogs Water Dispenser,Water Bowl
If you’re looking for a water fountain for your canine, then the Old Tjikko could be the best one for you. This one-gallon pet water dispenser is intelligently designed to prevent leakage. It’s also completely made from stainless steel, which as we know, comes with several benefits.
First off, we really appreciate that it’s made of food grade materials so you don’t have to worry about BPA or other harmful chemicals leaching into your dog’s water.
Next, it’s awesome that this water dispenser has a stylish and modern design that will look great in contemporary homes. The stainless steel will also add some extra flair to any kitchen or entryway.
8. Flexzion Pet Water Dispenser Station
- Comes with two reservoirs – one for hot water and one for cold water
- Reservoirs are insulated to keep the water chilled for 24 hours or heated for 8 hours
- Two waterfalls provide aeration and prevents the water from stagnating
- Multiple colors to choose from
- Easy to clean
- Made with BPA-free plastic and silicone
- Multiple mounting options
9. Outdoor Dog Drinking Water Fountain Step On
- A stylish and durable design
- Sturdy, easy to use design
- If left in a place where the groove is not depressed, the fountain won’t leak
- The noise is minimal and won’t scare your dog away
- No moving parts so it’s very low maintenance
- Comes with a 100% money back guarantee if you’re not satisfied
- The plastic doesn’t feel very sturdy, although many report that it’s held up just fine
- The hole to fill up the water is small – it can be hard to fill up
- The raised design makes it difficult to wipe off
- The dog drinking fountain seems to leak
No more constantly re-filling your dog’s water bowl! This pet drinking fountain will automatically replace your dog’s stagnant water when the bowl is filled. The easiest of all items on the list, this is the perfect option for the dog owner looking for a whimsical addition to their backyard or patio.
10. PetSafe Ceramic Cat and Dog Water Fountains
- Includes 2 water fountains for large dogs or multiple pet homes
- For indoor use, removable stainless steel bowl and submersible pump (powered by US Standard 110 VAC-60Hz, 50W)
- Extra large capacity
- Easy to maintain
- Ideal for naturally healthy pets
- Water flows continuously to encourage your pet to drink more
- Available in two colors: Seascape and Creekside
- The auto-off function keeps the fountain from overheating
- Provides free-flowing fresh, filtered water
- Filters reduce odor, bad taste, and contaminants
Capacity with Filter – Great for Multiple Pets – 2 Pack:
11. H20 Animal Hydration Flow Automatic Waterer
- Makes sure that your pooch gets a steady supply of water
- Made from BPA free, food-grade plastic
- Can be used for both outdoor and indoor use
- Easy to clean: dishwasher safe
- Guarantees fresh and clean water for your pet
The H2O Animal Hydration Flow Automatic Waterer has 2 compartments each with their own faucet. The main benefit of having these extra faucets is that it allows you to customize the water flow and amount that your pet is willing to consume. This is also great since you can use this outdoor waterer in your birdhouse to prevent the accumulation of dead flies and other insects. Giving you an easy and efficient way to keep your pets and birds hydrated and healthy.
The H20 Animal Hydration Flow Automatic Waterer has a non-slip design for easy and convenient cleaning. This means that you won’t risk any accidents, since it can’t slip, tip over, and spill. This feature is also useful for other areas in the home or office where you wish to put a fountain.
12. Bergan Pet Waterer Automatic
This is a very cool water fountain. First of all the design is unique, and it also has a unique purpose – to encourage your dog to drink the recommended 8-10 glasses of water each day.
It will definitely do the trick.
Pardon the pun.
13. Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer
- The spill-proof design ensures that there’s no mess!
- Water stays fresh and clean
- Highly durable – comes with a 2 year warranty
- Very affordable
- Water gets stagnant if the water line is longer than 5 feet
- Water may hold bacteria and algae, which could affect the health of your dog
- Drinking water might also warm up quickly in summer
- Doesn’t come with installation instructions
The Petmate Replendish Gravity Waterer is a great choice for dogs and cats looking for an alternative way to get their watering fix. This water dispenser is easy to install and doesn’t require any tools. Just fasten the nozzle to the water supply and let it drip.
Without any moving parts, the pet water fountain is also easy to clean. Pet owners can clean this water fountain with regular cleaning solutions.
Shake it vigorously to remove solid waste from the water filter. The 3-stage filter is excellent at retaining tiny particles and other debris that could harm your dog or cat.
14. H2O Animal Hydration Aqua Buddy 2-Quart Homelife Series Automatic Waterer
- * A very affordable choice * Has a sleek design with non-skid bottom * Ideal for dogs of all sizes * Made of stainless steel * Quick to set-up and easy to clean * The reservoir is a good size * The filter will last you for a good while * Can be used for both cats and dogs * You have the option to hook it up to your hose
Our best dog water fountain should let your pet remain hydrated at all times. Designed for dogs of all sizes and is perfect for indoor use. It needs a minimum space of approximately 12” x 8” and has a 2-gallon reservoir.
The H2O Aqua Buddy is made of heavy-duty material which makes it both rust-resistant as well as scratch-free. The water pump is a heavy-duty pump which should deliver up to 1.2 gallons of water per hour. It’s ideal for both large and small dogs. With the H2O Animal Hydration Aqua Buddy you can be certain that your pet has access to fresh water at all times. The pump is a bit noisy which may bother your pet as well as your neighbors. You may also need to refill the reservoir often.
15. PETKIT TKWTBL Eversweet Smart Pet Fountain Waterer
- Very easy to clean – can be taken apart easily
- Quality of construction is sturdy and reliable
- Quality of the sound is quiet, pleasant, and relaxing
- Doesn’t clog up easily
- No leakages – unless your dog tips over the entire bowl of water
- Fits in nicely with the decor in any home
- Product can be controlled by an app
- Great customer service
- You have to power up and plug in the fountain in order for the app to work
- There is no power backup option – you’ll lose your chance to control the device should there be a power outage
- The lights tend to flash periodically at night
- The reservoir isn’t big enough to hold a lot of water – you’ll probably have to refill it a couple of times a day
- Based on reviews, there are no replacement parts available, so when something breaks there’s no replacement available
The Petkit TKWTBL Eversweet Smart Pet Fountain is so named because it automatically keeps the water constantly moving and aerated, making it one of the best pet fountains to use with your animal.
16. PetSafe Drinkwell Indoor/Outdoor Dog Fountain
- Extremely quiet compared to other pet fountains
- Lots of room for multiple dogs
- Solid construction with non-toxic parts
- Company that offers a 2-year warranty
- Made in the USA
- So far, you’ll have to clean the pump periodically
- Not the best for older dogs, as they have harder time drinking from the fountain
- Not-so-great support from the company for issues outside the 2-year warranty
If you’re looking for a dog fountain, the PetSafe Drinkwell Pet Fountain is a great option. We love that it’s easy to clean and that it’s made in the USA. The manufacturer is a great company with a 2-year warranty, as well as excellent customer service if you have any issues with your purchase.
The standard PetSafe Drinkwell Fountain has a water capacity of 1 gallon and comes with a stainless steel bowl, as well as a dual-action pump. The water then passes through charcoal filters to keep the water flowing and your dog’s water fresh.
17. PetSafe Drinkwell 2 Gallon and Big Dog Pet Fountains
We go deep to cover everything you need to know when it comes to drinking fountains; The best petsafe drinkwell water fountain reviews for 2020 is coming up.
What People Are Saying:
The PetSafe Drinkwell Pet Fountain moves 50% more water than other fountains and has a specially formulated filter that uses charcoal and coconut to remove bad tastes and odors. This fountain also comes with a replaceable carbon filter that removes bad tastes and odors from your pet’s water.
18. Pet Fountain Cat Dog Water Dispenser
- Sturdy, high quality ceramic pump
- Prevent pets from polluting your quality drinking water
- Good size for multiple pets
- Easy to clean, dishwasher safe
- Replaceable filters
- Very quiet
- Easy to adjust flow
- Can be a bit fragile
- A cat might not like the fountain
Over 3,000 Satisfied Customers!
Pets don’t need to be told that they have to drink water. It should be accessible whenever they need it. While most pets are good at drinking water, some (mostly dogs) can forget about their thirst.
A dog water fountain will help you solve this issue. It’s very easy to setup and will supply your pets with fresh, clean water. This automatic fountain will keep water clean and fresh and your pets will be healthier for it.
19. PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon Pet Water Fountain
- Large external reservoir – easy to clean and refill
- The pump is quiet, though not entirely silent
- Keeps your pet well-hydrated
- Effectively removes debris and bad odors
- Available in three different sizes: 5, 8 and 11 cup
- The flow is too strong for small dogs
- Not all parts are BPA-free
- Quite pricey
The PetSafe Drinkwell Avalon is a ceramic fountain which comes with a free continuous-flow filter. It has a number of attractive features, which make it an ideal addition to the home of any pet owner.
The water is cooled through a carbon filter and is made to move through a set of plastic drinking zones. This means that your pet can drink from the flow, which comes up out of the top or stick its head in for a drink.
Thanks to its large 70-oz. water reservoir, the fountain can be left to run continuously without having to be refilled. The reservoir is easy to clean and refill.
20. Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow
The Petmate Deluxe Fresh Flow Pet Fountain is a great choice for those who want something more stylish and efficient than the common dog or cat water bowl.
The fountain comes in different sizes, ranging from a small 18 oz ‘starter fountain’ to a large fountain that can hold up to 4.5 gallons of water. The fountain comes with a watering dish to make sure your pet always has a drink of water within reach.
Instead of the typical filter, the fountain uses ‘bubbler’ to spread the flow of water throughout the fountain. It’s a unique design, but it’s easy to clean despite it being a relatively complex system. The whole thing comes apart so you can quickly wash the various parts.
21. HomeRunPet Water Fountain Automatic Fresh Flow
The HomeRunPet water fountain comes with three interchangeable directions, which is great if you own a variety of pets. The fountain in itself is relatively smaller than most, which is great if you have a limited amount of space in your home. If you have a fast drinker, then you may need to keep the water flowing at all times. Otherwise, you may need to refill your fountain every day or two.
It’s extremely easy to clean and maintain and it’s dishwasher safe. While this dog water fountain is made to be used by all pets, it’s best for small to medium dogs. Larger dogs may not be able to access the water with ease.
22. isYoung Cat Water Dispenser
- Indoor/outdoor use
- Holds 1.8 liters of water
- Adjustable flow
- Uses a carbon filter for healthy, fresh water
- Quiet motor
- The fountain is sturdy and well-made
- LED lights attract bugs
- The pump doesn’t seem to work well on tiled floors
If you’re looking for a pet water fountain with a hold of 1.8 liters, that’s quiet, easy-to-use and won’t leave an ugly stain on your floor, then this is the one for you.
IsYoung is an American brand that designs and manufactures this product in their own facility in Seattle. The company places great importance on the wellbeing of pets where they work with a team of veterinarians on an ongoing basis to perfect their product designs.
23. Lunvon 100 Ounce Pet Fountain Dog Water Dispenser
The LUNVON pet fountain has been featured in multiple leading pet magazines, is the quietest pet fountain on the market, and delivers the most water so your pet can drink more.
The LUNVON Pet Fountain has 3 different modes: Continuous Flow, Infrared Motion Sensor, and DROP STOP Mode.
A Fill Cup is provided with the LUNVON Pet Fountain and can be placed in any position around the fountain so the water never dries up.
24. Razoo Cat Water Fountain
- Has a large capacity of 2 Liters
- Fits perfectly for both cats and dogs
- Can keep water fresh and clean for a period of time
- The fountain is easy to wash and fill
- Available at an affordable price
- The plastic containers and bowls are somewhat flimsy
- Not suitable for very active and big dogs
The Razoo cat water fountain is by far one of the most versatile pet fountains on the market. Which is great for small dogs and cats.
It has a large capacity of 2 liters, which means that less refilling is required. This also means that the water will stay fresh and clean for a longer period of time.
The fountain is also dishwasher safe. Like most pet fountains, the bowl and plastic containers can be removed and washed. All parts are top-shelf dishwasher-safe.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best dog water fountain?
The PetSafe Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain has everything a small pet needs to have a happy and healthy pet life. It will keep your pet hydrated and well rested with this good quality, easy to handle water fountain. It contains three replaceable filters and can be cleaned easily.
The Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain also makes drinking safe for your pet. It has a keep-clean technology. The fountain and the pump are easily detachable for cleaning. The water basin is spill-proof and it is stain-proof too.
The PetSafe Drinkwell Original Pet Fountain is customizable. It contains five interchangeable spout heads that let you serve water in your cat or dog’s favorite way.
Are dog water fountains worth it?
Having a dog water fountain can be a great way to promote water consumption for your dog. While your dog may be perfectly happy to drink from the bowl or from a water bottle, there are several health benefits to having them drink from a water fountain.
When you give your dog a fresh supply of water, it helps keep the bowl cleaner and reduces the chance of your dog picking up any germs or bacteria that might be lingering around the water bowl.
Additionally, if you have a dog that drinks a lot of water in a day, having a water fountain is important because you won’t want to constantly be refilling a water bowl for your dog.
Are pet water fountains safe?
I often get asked this question. Do pet water fountains really add something useful to their lives? Does your dog (typically) need one?
The answer on the nose is, no he does not need a pet water fountain. A bowl of fresh water is enough.
However, what pet water fountains can do is make it easier and more fun for your dearly pooch to get his daily rations of water. They can help keep him hydrated and healthy. They make hydrating your pup fun and easy.
Do dogs prefer moving water?
There are many factors to consider when it comes to giving your pooch a water fountain.
Of course, it is most important to consider the dog itself and its own preferences. Some will love using a water fountain while others may not. Other factors include the dog’s metabolic rate, age, and personality to name a few.
However, one thing all dogs like, including those who don’t care for fountains, is running water.
That’s because dogs innately prefer moving water, more so than stagnant. Dogs see moving water as fresh water since flowing water is more likely to contain oxygen.
Additionally, a dog will be able to drink a little at a time with a flowing fountain, rather than having to guzzle a lot of water down at once.
There are plenty of different types of dog water fountains on the market today. But we’ve narrowed it down for you to five of our favorites that we believe will help you improve the quality of your dog’s life, as the right fountain can enhance your dog’s taste for water and increase its consumption of it.
|Pet Fountain Cat Water Dispenser||Best Overall|
|Flexzion Pet Water Dispenser Station||Budget Pick|
|PetSafe Ceramic Cat and Dog Water Fountains||Upgrade Pick|