If your dog is used to using a pet door to go in and out of the house and you suffer from a medical condition that makes it hard for you to get out of bed, an electronic dog door can give you back your independence and make life easier for you!
You can purchase an electrically operated dog door for your existing pet door, or you can insert a dog door for an electronic door into any wall in your place.
These are the best electronic dog doors on the market in 2022 and they are perfect if you are restricted to bed or a wheelchair.
|Power Pet Electronic Pet Door||Best Overall|
|CEESC Cat Flap Door Magnetic Pet Door||Budget Pick|
|Plexidor Large Wall Mount PDE Electronic Pet Door in White||Upgrade Pick|
1. Power Pet Electronic Pet Door
In this day and age, our lives revolve around our technology. The arrival of the electronic pet door can turn your pet – and your personal – lives around in an instant. Technically speaking, an electronic dog door is nothing but an automated dog door frame. It has its own microchip, sensors, and comes in various designs.
The microchip will trigger the activation of the sensor when the dog comes in close proximity to it.
What makes the Power Pet door suitable is the warranty that it offers. There is a special extended two-year warranty on this particular door too.
2. PetSafe Interior and Exterior Cat Door
- Easy to use
- Comes with a cat pheromone mat that you put near the entrance; it will help your cat become accustomed to the new door.
- It gives your cat access to the outside without letting other animals sneak in.
- You can control the sensitivity to adjust to your cat. If the cat won’t get in the first time then you can adjust the sensitivity.
- It is slightly pricier than other pet doors available in the market.
- Sometimes the cat can get lodged between the doors.
Camouflage – 0.5 Gallon bowl **The PetSafe Electronic Cat Door automatically unlocks when your cat comes in range. It features a removable and washable pheromone mat to help your cat feel more secure stepping outside into an unfamiliar area.
3. SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap
- Microchip Verification
- Learning Mode
- Power Supply: 3 AAA batteries
- Smartphone App
- Adjustable Timer
- Two Door Modes Available
- Extra Wide Flap (6.25 Inch)
- Sentry Mode
- Infrared Detection
- Wire is vulnerable to chewing
- Some design flaws
- Poor Customer Service
The SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap is number one on our list because it allows you to protect your pet from outside dangers. It features microchip verification which activates the pet door only for your cat or dog when they get home.
The Sureflap is equipped with several features as well, such as a learning mode for pets and a loud alert for humans when someone is at the door. You can also connect the pet flap to your home internet using the Pet Door Wifi Sensor which will alert you when your pet comes home.
There are several designs available and a higher version, the SureFlap Microchip Cat Flap, which is equipped with a camera, microphone, two-way audio, and a distance sensor. The Sureflap also features an intelligent training mode for pets and an automated programming mode which can be set so you don’t have to program it each day.
4. SureFlap – Sure Petcare Microchip Cat Flap
- Added peace of mind when walking a dog
- Works with pets on a leash
- Common for use by people with senior or ill pets
- Works with cats, dogs, ponies, and other animals
- Extra-thick, large flap is suitable for larger pets
- Confirmation sounds alert user that the cat has left the flap
- Requires batteries
- Small flap is suitable for small animals, but may not be large enough for some bigger dogs.
- Microchip has to be updated to match your pet's information to work correctly
Won't Allow Exit to Unauthorized Pets.
If you're looking to protect the dogs in the neighborhood from unapproved wandering, then a microchip pet door is the perfect solution. Sureflap is one of the reputable brands, and in this video they demonstrate the installation and functionality of the product.
You can buy a 120V/60Hz power converter and adapter so the flap can be used in Mexico, but the microchip flap will only work in North America. While the microchip programmable flap was designed for cats, it can be programmed to work with dogs, although the company recommends having a house-training your pet before using it.
5. PetSafe Single Panel Replacement Pet Door Insert
- Highly durable and long-lasting plastic frame
- Sized perfectly for panel doors
- Includes a locking panel which helps with house training
- Great for those with multiple dogs
- The door can break easily.
The PetSafe single panel replacement dog door insert is designed for panel doors. Dogs of all sizes can fit inside this door. Plus, it has a locking panel to help with house training. It doesn’t require any tools for installation and the instructions are easy to follow. This is one of the few single panel dog doors available on the market, so it’s a great choice for owners of smaller dogs.
As with most electronic dog doors, reviews are mixed. This model doesn’t come with a motor to open and close the door, so you have to do it manually. Some users find this to be inconvenient, but others love it because it’s more reliable than a motor.
Another issue with this model is the way it closes on its own. The closing panel swings back and hits your wall. This can cause the door to break if you force it. There are user reviews saying that you now need to use the locking panel because of this fault.
6. PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor
Our next product is one of the top rated pet doors on the market. The PetSafe Electronic SmartDoor isn’t your stereotypical doggy door – it’s more like a smart pet door. This electronic dog door automatically opens for your pet when he/she approaches. It’s ideal for pets that are trained to sign up for their meals.
This pet door attaches directly to a wire or chain link fence using the included screws or by using the included poles. It’s up to you. The SmartDoor uses a radio signal to communicate with a collar worn by your pet. The collar will then respond to the door’s signal – letting your pet in.
The frame is made out of steel and the flap is made out of heavy duty nylon plastic. At the bottom of the door is a collar receiver that makes it completely weatherproof. This receiver is not just for collars, which is a nice touch. It can also handle a microchip, providing you with an added sense of security.
7. CEESC Cat Flap Door Magnetic Pet Door
The CEESC Cat Flap Door Magnetic Pet Door with 4 Way Lock is perfect for indoor and outdoor use as well as high-quality cats and tiny kittens. It is a perfect door for pets with widths from 1.6 to 3 inches. Your pet will be able to freely go in and out of your house.
This pet door has a latch and sliding handle cover. It is a double flap design, and the magnetic leakage sensor is also included. The lock determines whether the pet is going out or in. This pet door makes use of 20 decibel noise-reduction high quality polycarbonate material to improve its sound insulation performance.
This is a security cat flap suitable for dog doors, one-way cat doors, heat insulation cat doors, magnetic cat doors, and outdoor cat doors. It comes with a wireless key, QR code, and manual registration. Moreover, the pet unit requires 4 single-A batteries.
8. Plexidor Large Wall Mount PDE Electronic Pet Door in White
- The unique design makes it an excellent choice for older, larger dogs
- Can be used year round
- High quality materials
- The transparent flap
- 8 adjustable opening times
- Three locking positions
- AMN/ANT+ – compatible with Heart Rate straps or accessories
- Programmable back-up battery
- Battery status monitoring
- Wireless push button
- The large size of this dog door may limit accessibility
- It’s quite expensive
The Plexidor Large Wall Mount Dog Door stands out due to its flexibility.
As its name suggests, this is an electronic dog door that can be mounted on a wall. Its installation requires a 1 1/2-2” hole to be drilled into the wall. The electronic system is made of hard plastic and the flap is made of transparent material, which allows for clear visibility.
9. Cat Mate Microchip Cat Flap
- The included manual programming works with over 90% of dogs
- Operates on two AA batteries
- Option for manual locking mechanism
- Magnetic flap design
- The pet door itself is very secure
- Easy to mount
- 15 years of consumer satisfaction
- The proximity sensor is a bit too sensitive
- The build material isn’t very strong
- No return policy
Cat Mate’s Cat Flap is a popular electronic pet door and the company has an excellent reputation for customer service.
There are three different versions of this door, all of which are highly rated on Amazon.
The PET612 is their top-of-the-line door that operates on four AA batteries.
10. Solo Pet Doors Automatic Electronic Dog and Cat Door
Compact, sturdy, and made with a sleek design, the Solo electronic pet door will be a good fit for your furry friend. The Solo pet door has a 3-flap series design that ensures your dog will come and go as they please. This pet door also comes with a remote control for your convenience.
The SOLO also features an LED nightlight, a built in weatherproof seal, and a brush seal to prevent mosquitoes and other insects from entering your home.
The SOLO comes with an automatic system. The frames are constructed from high-quality materials that ensure long lasting use. The SOLO also comes with a universal fit kit. This kit will make sure you can install the SOLO in a snap.
11. Cat Mate Elite Microchip Cat Door
- Multiple settings for multiple cat households
- Simple setup and very easy to use
- Can be programmed for two permanent pet microchips
- Programmable opening and closing
- Made in the USA
- Doesn’t require any batteries
- Advanced memory chip technology
- Made of strong and sturdy plastic
- Unique, patented designs
- Very inexpensive compared to others
The Cat Mate Elite Microchip Cat Door With Timer Control is the perfect solution for pet owners with multiple cats (6 months and older) who get along and enjoy sharing the same space.
This cat door comes with a timer feature allowing you to program the length of access for your cat(s).
The unit is fairly easy to install and to program. All the required batteries are also included in the package.
12. Cat Mate Electromagnetic Cat Flap White
- Super easy to install, no tools are required
- The material feels sturdy
- Large flap size
- Has a two-way magnetic locking system
- Easy to use
- Long battery life
- Rear-mount design
- Small flap size
- Measurements are not too hard to get accurate.
- The latch can stick a little bit
- Very shallow pet door installation
- Doesn’t come with step-by-step instructions.
The Cat Mate Electromagnetic Cat Flap White is a compact and reliable little pet door that allows your cat or dog to come and go as it pleases.
This cat flap is meant for indoor or outdoor use. It measures 5.5-inch by 10.5-inch and fits openings of 7 to 8.5-inch by 15 to 19-inch.
What’s great about this flap is that it’s lightweight – so you won’t have to worry about your pet breaking the opening, or the flap breaking as a result of your pet constantly using it.
13. Thermo Panel 2e SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
- The most advanced, reliable products on the market
- Made by SureFlap, the most trusted name in pet doors
- Works with any pet door, so you can choose what works best for you
- Radio-frequency identification (RFID) allows your pet to come and go at your command
- It’s the only system that recognizes your pet’s chip via a microchip collar
- It’s the only compliant pet door on the market that features a dual lock to prevent unauthorized pet access
- It unlocks with a touch of the remote control, your smartphone, or a key fob
- The website provides a ton of FAQs, videos, and other helpful information
- The SureFlap microchip pet door has been approved by The International Cat Association and National Cat Fanciers Association
- The door can be used with the glass up or down, so it can be used in any climate
- You’ll need to replace the microchips around every 5 years
- More expensive then other options
- The replacement gear tends to be cheaper than the complete unit
14. SureFlap Microchip Pet Door Connect Without Hub
Secures your home and keeps your pet’s protected from any kind of breach. Even the most clever and intelligent of dogs can go from zero to psycho and back again in the blink of an eye. Dogs love to poke around and as much as you love your pet it’s an inevitable consequence of pet ownership.
What happens if your furry friend manages to get out of your home? All kinds of things! He could be run over by a car, picked up by another family or worst of all he could become a target to some evil doer. All it takes is for them to waltz right through your dogs “dehance” in order to get in.
15. High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door
- Taking a look at the positive feedback for the High Tech Pet Power Pet Electronic Pet Door, customers have praised the easy setup and installation process, which is a common theme amongst most electronic pet doors.
- One customer claimed that it didn’t take long to train their dog to use the High Tech Pet power pet electronic pet door.
- The electronic door allows you to open and close the door whenever you want, whether that be from your mobile device on the go, which one customer praised.
- One drawback that some customers expressed is that the door is not completely weatherproof.
This sky-blue pet door is built for one of the most popular breeds – a German Shepherd. This door is sturdy enough to pass the German Shepherd’s strength and can be adjusted according to the size of your pet. You can adjust the size by removing or adding the inserts.
16. SureFlap Microchip Pet Door
The SureFlap Microchip Small, Medium, or Large Pet Door is made for indoor a – “house dog” application, not an outdoor dog. These dog doors are for pet doors only, not for people to use.
The SureFlap Pet Door for dogs, cats, and other pets is an electronically operated pet door with a microchip system that identifies your pet. It offers three sizes for dogs ranging from 5-30 pounds, 30-100 pounds, and 100+ pounds. It requires 4 AA batteries, two for the latch and two for the sensor. These small batteries last between six months to two years, depending on how often the dog goes through it. It’s also wind and water resistant, with an optional manual door available.
17. Large Power Pet Sliding Glass Dog Door Extra Tall
The Large Power Pet is a 30” dog door made of a high-quality plastic that won’t bend or break if the dog accidentally rushes into it. It’s easy to handle and install and is fairly durable.
This Large power Pet is a single-piece without any metal frame. The plastic is very versatile and great for temperature extremes.
The 3-way latch is great for adjusting the size so that your pup can easily go in and out. The rubber seal around the door makes it weatherproof and keeps the dog warm.
18. NAPUPRO Large Cat Door
- Very easy to use, with a 2-button lock system
- Completely weatherproof
- Feature a telescopic frame that extends
- Ideal for both large and small dogs
- Available in two different sizes
- Large flap can be used for cats
- Large size provides extra ventilation
- Energy efficient
- Stylish and modern design
- Requires installation by a professional
- Very expensive
- Not kind to dogs with arthritis
- The wide opening makes it hard to install
Should you buy the NAPUPRO Large Cat Door?
Many dog owners are satisfied with the NAPUPRO Pet Door as it is the best dog door for house. Some dog lovers prefer it for both dogs and cats, although it is primarily for cats. They said they found it easy to use, provide extra ventilation and have a modern design.
Unlike other pet doors, the NAPUPRO Large Cat Door is super strong with steel material used to manufacture it. It also comes in two different sizes. One is big enough for a cat and the other for most dogs. What’s more, it’s extremely easy to install. All it takes is some adhesive tape and a socket.
19. Ideal Pet Products eCat Electromagnetic Cat Door
Overall, this eCat Electromagnetic Cat Door is ideal for small to medium size dogs. It has a 7” x 8” opening. And, it’s especially ideal for dogs with arthritis. This simple and effective design will keep your pets safe and secure. Its Cat detctor senses whenever your dog approaches the door.
This product causes no harm to your pets whatsoever, unlike traditional spring loaded doors. Since this door is very easy to use, your dog will not slow down, get frustrated, or struggle to get through the door like they would with a spring loaded one.
The Ideal Pet Products eCat Electromagnetic Cat Door is built with a sensor that is made specifically to detect pets. It only opens after it detects your dog. And, if you have a cat or another dog, you can turn off the sensor. This prevents your dog from getting out.
20. SureFlap Microchip DualScan Cat Flap
(6 Inch by 6 Inch)
The SureFlap Microchip DualScan Cat Flap, Brown (6 Inch by 6 Inch) has the highest customer satisfaction rating out of all the listed products on Amazon.
This door can be either programmed manually or set up to scan your pet’s microchip. When your furry friend is within 3-4 feet of the device, it will sound an alert and unlock your door automatically.
21. Ideal Pet Products E-Z Pass Electronic Pet Door
- Works on both metal and wood doors
- Works for both big and small dogs
- No special training required, dogs can figure it out easily
- Dogs need to be trained to not push against the door to open it
- Occasionally can be too tall for certain breeds
- Enable light can drain the battery life
The Ideal Pet Products E-Z Pass is both great and durable. You can use it for both small and large dogs, as well as for both metal and wood doors. It's a great option because it doesn't require any special training or education on your part, your dog simply needs to put their face to the screen to open it.
What else can you say really? It's affordable, and it does what it's supposed to do. Can't complain about that.
22. Cat Mate Electromagnetic Large Cat or Small Dog Door
A dog’s best friend is its owner, and along with this companionship often comes the responsibility to look after their wellbeing. A big part of this responsibility is ensuring that your companion is safe and secure in your home. An important safety feature is a dog door that will give your dog access to every room in the house during the day, and give the rest of the family access in the evening.
Cat Mate are known for their quality products that are feature-packed, while remaining very affordable. The Cat Mate Electromagnetic Large Cat or Small Dog Door is a prime example of this.
This door is is made from heavy duty steel and features a clever locking mechanism that secures the door when it’s shut. This door will really prevent your canine companion from getting out of the house, with its magnets and sensors.
23. Medium Power Pet Sliding Glass Dog Large 96 inches
24. High Tech Pet
The High Tech Pet large power dog door is a great option for people who want to give their dog the ability to go in and out of the house on their own. This door is shatterproof, weatherproof and rustproof. It also comes with an adjustable height that allows the door to accommodate both cats and dogs.
The reversible flap allows you to open the door for your pet whether you are home or away. This is a great tool for people who want to give their pet more freedom, but still want to feel like they have control over who they let in the house.
This is a very easy to install pet door. It has a heavy-duty mounting frame that allows you to install it in a wall or hinged door. You do not have to be a builder to install this door.
25. PetSafe SmartDoor Plus Pet Door
- Automatically open and closes at set times of days
- Out of the box installation; no tools required
- Comes with a Reminder Light to alert the pet when the pet door is programmed to open or close
- Perfect for multi-pet homes
- Free from pet odor
- Approved by the PetSafe Indoor Pet Panel (IPOP)
- Can also be used as an exterior pet door for your home or office
- The flap is made of a flexible and durable material
- The Door is not battery-powered
- If the power is not working there’s no way to access your pet
- Programming can be a little difficult if you’re not used to using such systems
- The flap is not weather-proof
- Some users report it slipping out slightly (unlike most other more expensive pet doors)
The PetSafe SmartDoor Plus is a well-priced option for almost any size of pet. It comes with a 30-day risk-free money back guarantee – so you don’t run any risk. PetSafe also offers a 1-year warranty and a lifetime support service.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best electronic dog door?
What is the best dog door?
The PetSafe Electronic Pet Door is the best dog door to purchase, according to our dog-door reviews, user ratings, and feedback from previous owners. Many of these other models offer some great benefits, but the PetSafe Electronic Pet Door swings it with its seamless interface and advanced features. The PetSafe Electronic Pet Door is also scored highly on the ease of use scale thanks to its ultra-low battery consumption and small package size.
When it comes to modern dog doors, most of the on the market look and feel the same. You have your standard rectangle, with a flap that swings back and forth to allow your dog to slide through.
The PetSafe Electronic Dog Door is a completely different beast. It looks at the design of the whole dog door and flips it on its head.
This modern dog door has a unique shape, and completely removes the need for the flap all together.
What is the best dog door for sliding glass door?
That depends entirely on the size of your dog. Both the Petsafe SmartDoor and the iGo dog doors are capable of being installed in a sliding glass door. The only difference is that the SmartDoor doesn’t require any drilling holes into your door, whereas the iGo requires at least a single hole. If you have a small dog (under 25 pounds), then the iGo dog door should be fine.
If you have a medium or large dog, then it may be better to use the SmartDoor. This is especially true if your dog is a frequent user of the door. The SmartDoor is better suited to handle more frequent use.
If the sliding glass door is part of an MR-16-sized recessed door, then the iGo might be your only option.
How do electronic dog doors work?
The electronic dog door senses your pet approaching and opens automatically, leaving you free to go about your day. Once the pet leaves, the door senses his absence and closes automatically.
This article summarizes the best electronic dog doors available in the market. You will find the features, benefits, pros and cons, and buyer experience of each product. You will have an idea which dog door will work best for your dog. This way you will be able to pick the best dog door that fits in your budget.
|Power Pet Electronic Pet Door||Best Overall|
|CEESC Cat Flap Door Magnetic Pet Door||Budget Pick|
|Plexidor Large Wall Mount PDE Electronic Pet Door in White||Upgrade Pick|