Fleas are the bane of many dog owners. They live on your furry friend, breed like rabbits, and nibble on your wallet due to the constant ticked and jumps did my dog really have fleas? Google searches.
The tricky part is that flea shampoos and at-home remedies are not always easy on a dog’s delicate skin. Some of the best flea shampoo for dogs will hit their skin and run like molasses when using an old dog shampoo.
So, how do you get rid of fleas on your dog without hurting their skin?
Check out our list of five flea shampoos below.
|Wondercide Natural Pet Shampoo Bar||Best Overall|
|Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo||Budget Pick|
|RX4 Dog Cat Shampoo Conditioner||Upgrade Pick|
1. Wondercide Natural Pet Shampoo Bar
- Gently cleans without stripping oils from fur
- It lasts for around 2-3 months
- It's very easy to use
- Slight smell of citrus (natural)
- Leaves the coat very soft to touch
- Can be used on sensitive or itchy skin
- It's eco-friendly and not tested on animals
- Add a bit of water when using it on dogs
- Some dogs have a slight sensitivity to it
- Can be hard to get a hold of
- Doesn't work well on ticks and fleas
- It's probably not the best if your dog swims regularly
Overview: This shampoo bar is great for dogs, one of the more stubborn and oblivious animals when it comes to bathing. It's natural, do it yourself, and it cleans dogs very well. Most importantly, your dog will love being pampered by this shampoo bar.
Initial reaction to the product:
2. Hartz UltraGuard Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo
- Comes in a formula suitable for all breeds
- Easy to use
- Leaves your dog smelling fresh
- Fights against fleas, ticks, flea eggs, and flea dirt
- Can be used by itself or as part of a combination flea treatment
- Won’t cause any irritation or skin irritation
- Leaves your dog with a beautiful shine
- Customers report that it kills fleas in as little as 24 hours
- The price is very affordable
- Available only through veterinary clinics and other pet service providers
- Users have reported that it works best when combined with other flea and tick treatments
- The formula can be a bit runny
- Some users have reported that it doesn’t always kill ticks; only when used with a separate product
- The scent isn’t as pleasant as other products
Hartz has been around for a while, and their products are always worth considering.
3. Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
The Lillian Ruff Oatmeal Dog Shampoo is a flea shampoo that’s designed for dogs with dry, itchy skin, to prevent scratching and allergies. As well as for fleas and ticks. This shampoo can be used from puppies to senior dogs.
The shampoo is made with oatmeal, aloe vera, and lavender and coconut, to prevent scratching, skin allergy, fleas, and ticks.
Its formula includes conditioners and moisturizers to soften and condition the coat and skin. The shampoo is soap-free.
4. Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo
- Good value for money
- Has a pleasant fresh scent with no chemical smell
- Killed all of the fleas and ticks
- Gentle and doesn’t dry out the fur
- Safe for dogs of all ages
- Ideal to use after bathing, swimming, or sunshine as it keeps the skin moist
- Gentle for everyday use
- Leaves a sticky residue
- Doesn’t get rid of all the ticks
8.5 Fl Oz
We’ve been using Sentry Flea and Tick shampoo for years on our dog, and have been more than pleased with the results. It’s very easy to use and doesn’t irritate the eyes. It also contains the active ingredient imidacloprid.
Firstly, the formula isn’t a harsh chemical and isn’t going to burn your dog’s eyes. It is also recommended by veterinarians, which makes it a product you can trust.
5. All Natural & Organic Oatmeal Puppy/Pet Shampoo + Conditioner-Hypoallergenic and Soap Free Blend
- Good for puppies and dogs with sensitive skin
- Lathers well, even though it’s not a sudsy shampoo
- Gentle and conditioning; great for sensitive skin and itchy situations
- Nick Chaves of The Hunting Dog Site praises the value for the price
- Provides a “clean, smooth and healthy” coat
- Not tested on animals
- Watery texture, but it does do a good job
- It’s not rinsible
- Overall, there aren’t many cons to this shampoo
Skin: Suited for itchy, dry skin and for dogs with allergies and sensitive skin
Scalp: Good for extremely sensitive skin
6. Adams Plus Flea & Tick Shampoo
7. Veterinary Formula Clinical Care Flea and Tick Shampoo
8. Arava Flea & Tick Control Dog & Puppy Shampoo
It is essential to get rid of fleas as quickly as possible. This is not only to save your dog from discomfort, but also to protect your family from the dreaded dog fleas. You need to find a good product that not only gets rid of the fleas, but also prevents them from coming back.
The Arava Flea & Tick Control Dog & Puppy Shampoo is one product that you should seriously consider. It follows the natural ingredients method that offers full flea protection for up to six weeks. Aside from fleas, this shampoo will also kill all other parasites that are present in your dog’s coat.
It is important to note that not all flea shampoos are safe for your dog. Some of them contain chemicals and other harsh chemicals that may harm your canine even after the fleas have been eliminated.
9. Richard’s Organics Flea and Tick Shampoo
- Easy to apply on all coat types
- Safe for all ages
- All natural, no harsh chemicals
- Has a pleasant smell
- Kills fleas fast
- Repels mosquitos
- Safe even when using every week
- Doesn’t cause dry skin
- Lasts long and doesn’t need frequent application
- Noticeable difference after wash
- Doesn’t kill ticks
- White shampoo stains
- A little pricey compared to other flea shampoos for dogs
If you’re looking for an effective, all natural shampoo to keep your dog flea and tick free, then you’ll find this review helpful.
After doing some extensive research and reading several positive reviews, we found that “Richard’s Organics” was one of the most popular dog flea shampoos.
So, we decided to give it a try.
10. Vanilla Oatmeal Dog Shampoo
11. Vet’s Best Flea and Tick Advanced Strength Dog Shampoo
- Made from natural products
- Long lasting and effective flea and tick treatment
- Washable formula
- Can be used even in high temperatures
- Does not harm the coat, even without washing it
- Does not cause allergies or skin or eye irritation
- Safe and effective treatment for fleas and ticks
- Doesn’t dry out the dog’s coat
- Can be used on puppies
- Pet odor free formula
- Didn’t work on fleas
- Leaves a sticky residue once rinsed
- Some of the fleas came back after 5 days, but the dog is still infested
- Didn’t work well on sticky, rough coat
- Does not work well on ticks
Our best advice when shopping for the best dog flea shampoo is to know which type of protection you’ll want to achieve and if you want to keep using it for dogs with different sensitivities. We wanted to make sure that our recommendation criteria produced a product that works well on most dogs and that you won’t have to immediately buy a new one after a few uses.
12. Burt's Bees
13. Adams Flea and Tick Cleansing Shampoo
According to 21 dog owners, the Adams Flea and Tick Cleansing Shampoo for dogs is the best, as it’s quite cheap and goes easy on the dog’s skin. Plus, it can even save your dog from a possible flea infestation.
This shampoo comes in a 12 oz. bottle which is pump-activated. The formula is clear and is safe for dogs of all ages. It works on fleas, ticks and lice, and has a very mild scent.
The shampoo also contains several dog-safe and natural substances like aloe, olive oil, lemon and tea tree lemon, to ensure that your dog’s skin is not dried out after a bath.
14. RX4 Dog Cat Shampoo Conditioner
- Can be used in a high-efficiency machine
- Contains no stain
- Softens & cleanses your dog’s coat
This is a shampoo and conditioner for dogs that you can wear out by the bottle if you really want to. The reviews are positive for this product, and get better and better.
It offers a lot of benefit for the price (shipping included!).
This shampoo contains natural ingredients that are good for your dog and your environment. It is free from phthalates, parabens, and lead.
15. Happy Jack 8 Oz Paracide Flea and Tick Shampoo
* its price extremely budget-friendly
* can be used to treat more than one pet at once
* it is very easy to use
* the price is very reasonable
* most reviewers are happy with the results
* it thoroughly kills fleas and ticks
* easy to dilute when using it with smaller amounts of water
* good for treating more than one pet at once
* powerful formula
* it smells good
* it kills ticks and fleas very effectively
* some users complained that it doesn’t kill fleas effectively
* can dry out dog’s skin
* can bleach colored or light-colored dogs
* doesn’t remove feces from hair
* some dogs may need 2-3 baths
D Hart Pet.
The top rated dog shampoo D Hart Pet is a great option for pet owners who want to get rid of fleas and ticks on their pets.
It gets rid of fleas and ticks quite effectively and is easy to use, as well as affordable. This shampoo comes in a large 8 oz bottle. It can treat a medium sized dog from head to tail.
16. Sentry Pro Toy & Small Breed Dog Flea & Tick Shampoo
- Tests show dogs are flea free within 24 hours
- Doesn’t strip the dog’s natural oils
- Effectively repels ticks
- Very easy to use
- Great value for the price
- Can be a little tricky to get the right amount on your dog’s coat
- Doesn’t seem to repel flies as well as fleas
- Did leave a few customer’s dogs smelling funny
- The developer has been forced to remove an ingredient previously found in the shampoo: Phenothrin. There is now no trace of Phenothrin in the shampoo.
17. Vet's Best Flea Itch Relief Dog Shampoo
- The powerful formula lathers into a rich, thick suds
- The moderate price
- The potent solution relieves itching and irritation caused by flea bites
- It can also be used on cats
- It’s fast-acting and provides relief within minutes
- Its non-staining formula won’t stain your carpets, bedding, or furniture
- It has a pleasant and natural fresh fragrance
- There’s a 30-day money back guarantee
- It’s pawgrease-free
- It can also be used to control and prevent the shedding of dog hair
- Ingredients may cause skin irritation for some dogs
- If left in the dog’s coat, it may cause an allergic reaction
- Might not be a good idea for use on sick or old dogs as well as on dogs with sensitive skin
- Need to lather the shampoo well to get it into thick and rich lather
- There’s a need to towel dry the dog well after bath
18. Natural Chemistry De Flea Shampoo
Flea shampoo… the go-to solution for pet parents whose furry companions have flea infestations. But which one should you choose? There are many different options like flea and tick medicated shampoos, flea-fighting shampoos, natural shampoos, and more. That’s where we come in … we’ve reviewed more than 2500 reviews and compared more than 200 flea shampoo options to find the best flea shampoo available.
Our top pick for the best flea shampoo for dogs of 2019 is the Natural Chemistry De Flea Shampoo for Dogs … an all-natural, non-toxic alternative to pesticides.
Our top pick is the StopWoofer Anti-bark collar. It’s a humane and humane alternative to loud deterrents and it’s made with 100% water-resistant nylon. As a result, it’s easy to clean and you don’t need to worry about your dog getting any burns from the collar.
It also has a rechargeable lithium-ion battery with a USB charger included for your convenience. However, there is no need to worry if you ever forget to charge the collar because there’s no need for batteries.
Also included with the anti-bark collar is a receiver, strap, collar, and a shock control button. Since it uses no pain, this collar can be used on even the smallest of dogs – however, there’s a weight limit of 17 pounds.
20. Gold Medal Pets Shampoo
Bottle, 17 Oz.
Gold Medal Pets Shampoo for Dogs is a very eco-friendly product. Made with only natural products, it is completely safe for dogs and even humans.
By using it, your dog’s chances of scratching are greatly reduced.
21. Pro-Sense Flea and Tick Shampoo
This is a best-selling shampoo for fleas that’s been highly recognized by dog owners for its fast-acting formula. It’s EPA-approved, too.
How it works: Using a special and patented formula, this shampoo is designed to kill fleas and ticks, and leave your pet smelling fresh. It kills fleas within 8 hours of contact and ticks within 24 hours of contact. The result is a clean, odor-free dog that can be happier and healthier again!
Benefits: Aside from killing fleas and ticks immediately, this shampoo boasts deep cleaning power and a fresh, clean scent with an invigorating peppermint scent. This is what makes it a bestseller.
22. All natural Fleas & Ticks shampoo
- Organic and hypoallergenic shampoo with no harmful chemicals
- Safe for use in dogs and puppies over 6 weeks of age
- Perfect for both short and long haired dogs; even cats and kitties; can be used on kids safe too
- Shampoo is safe for use on puppies 8 weeks and older
- No harmful chemicals; no harmful additives; no carcinogens
- Can be used year round; no more fleas or ticks; repels bugs for 30 days after bathing
- Moisturizes; revives; restores damaged fur
- Lasts for 30 days; can be used with other products
- Can be used on any breed
- No time consuming mixing; just add water and lather in
Has potent botanical plant based ingredients which helps naturally repel and kill fleas and ticks. Organic compounds taken from the Neem, Cedarwood, and Citronella plant known to safely and effectively deter fleas and ticks.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the most effective flea shampoo for dogs?
What is the best flea shampoo on the market?
We put this popular product to the test. Will it kill fleas on contact and their eggs for up to seven days? Does the shampoo kill fleas within 3 minutes? Does it work well on a variety of dogs? Find out the answers to these questions and more as we do a review of this popular product.
Are dog flea shampoos effective?
Yes. If you don’t believe me, then I’ll bet you believe the billions of fleas that are dying every single time a dog gets treated with an effective flea shampoo. Excellent flea shampoos work by killing fleas in several different ways. Some work by smothering the fleas. Others dry them out. Still others work by preventing fleas from reproducing. No matter which type is used, the end result is fleas that are dead or dying.
What is the best flea shampoo for dogs UK?
In the UK, the amount of frontline for fleas is a very popular option. This is a spot-on flea treatment with the active ingredient given as fipronil. It is available over the counter and needs to be applied to the back of the dog's neck, making it relatively easy to use for pet owners. It can be applied to puppies from the age of 8 weeks. Fipronil not only kills fleas but ticks too, and works for up to four weeks. Most pet owners say that it works, but you should not stop at one treatment. The granules on the back of the dog need to be refreshed every month.
Nowadays, there are many products that claim to get rid of fleas. It is important to choose the best flea shampoo for dogs to effectively treat your pet. This article will be helpful when choosing the best product for your dog. Keep on reading!
|Wondercide Natural Pet Shampoo Bar||Best Overall|
|Sentry Flea & Tick Shampoo||Budget Pick|
|RX4 Dog Cat Shampoo Conditioner||Upgrade Pick|