Freeze drying is a technology that is becoming more and more common in modern factories, and this technology is being used to produce dog food.
So, can you freeze dry dog food?
Freeze dried dog food is often more nutritious, more flavorful, and better for your dog’s health, and for that reason it is becoming a popular food item. But, is it right for you pet?
In this article, we will break down the ins and outs of this technology, as well as some brands of freeze dried dog food, and whether it is right for your dog or not.
Bear in mind that not all freeze dried dog food is made in the same way or is the same quality. Be careful which one you decide to buy. See below for some of the best freeze dried dog food products we could find on the market today.
|Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw||Best Overall|
|Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Stella's Super Beef Meal Mixers Grain-Free Dog Food Topper||Budget Pick|
|Bravo Homestyle Freeze Dried Dinner Beef Food||Upgrade Pick|
1. Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw
Stella & Chewy’s Snowy Owl, 3-lbs.
Our readers love the freeze-dried line from Stella & Chewy’s for a few reasons.
First, the ingredients are outstanding. These are made with ingredients from New Zealand and USA farms. You’ll find real deboned chicken, fish and other proteins your dog knows and loves.
2. K9 Natural Freeze Dried Dog Food Booster and Topper
- Free of harmful ingredients
- No additives, preservatives, fillers, artificial colors, artificial flavors, or artificial sweeteners
- Minimal ingredients
- Good protein source
- No grains or corn
- Can be used as a topper or a full meal
- Made with real, wholesome ingredients
- High protein content
- No grains, no corn
- Easy to chew
Nutrients Booster for All Types of Dogs – Small (3pounds).
3. Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Stella's Super Beef Meal Mixers Grain-Free Dog Food Topper
- Simple and practical way to add a high-quality raw meal to your dog’s diet
- Rehydrates easily with hot water
Stella & Chewy is a great place to start when introducing raw meat into your dog’s diet. They are very affordable compared to other options on the market.
They are high-quality food that are made from raw, natural ingredients.
4. Instinct Freeze Dried Raw Boost Mixers Grain Free Recipe All Natural Dog Food Toppers
- Comes in 12, 6, and 3 pound packaging; with the bigger boxes being less of a hassle to store
- The number of positive reviews
- The variety of flavors offered
- The fact that you can feed it as a supplement to a more ‘regular’ dog food
- The freeze-dried process – which ensures that nutrients are preserved; is healthy for your dog
- The freeze-dried process is also easier on your dog’s tastebuds
- No grain, no gluten, and no artificial colors, flavors or preservatives
- The packaging is recyclable
- The fact that it’s all-natural, with no byproducts
- The product is affordably-priced
5. Mixed 5-Pack 12 oz Northwest Naturals Raw Rewards Freeze Dried Nuggets Dinner
- Extensive list of pros
- All-natural ingredients
- No preservatives
- Contains vitamins and minerals
- Dog owners loved the fine texture and appearance.
- Some users reported that their dogs loved the taste. (Also, it didn’t upset their stomach.)
- It comes in a convenient resealable package, which allows users to preserve it for later.
- It’s non-GMO, free from corn, wheat, and soy.
- Some users found the smell a bit strong.
- Some found it a bit expensive. But, you are paying for the quality.
- A few of the dogs that ate this weren’t the biggest fans.
- Not the best choice for dogs who don’t typically like the taste of meat or fish.
- The texture is fairly fine – it’s not the best fit for dogs with a sensitive mouth or teeth.
6. Open Farm Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food
2-Pack (Best Overall).
If you are looking for an alternative to traditional kibble or canned food, then you might want to consider freeze-dried raw pet food. Made from real ingredients and meats, freeze-dried raw dog food is made by dehydrating the raw food resulting in a preserve-like state.
Unlike kibble and canned food, freeze-dried raw dog food is loaded with nutrients, vitamins, and minerals. The added fiber makes this dog food a much better option than its processed counterparts.
7. Primal Freeze Dried Dog Food Chicken Formula
Feeding your dog with Primal Freeze-Dried Dog Food can make him healthier and fuller. It comes without any artificial or chemical additives. What’s even better, is that it’s made in the USA in a certified humane facility.
It’s all natural dog food because it’s made free of any grain and filler. It’s also grain free and made of human grade meat. It’s free of by-products, fillers, and additives.
Primal Freeze-Dried Dog Food is suitable for all breeds of dogs, from puppies and senior dogs, to dogs with health problems. It’s also suitable for all life stages.
8. Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Dinner Patties
- Light, airy texture that dogs would love
- Grain free and gluten free
- No artificial flavors, additives, or preservatives
- Properly sourced and prepared ingredients
- Has probiotics to aid in digestion
- Rich in natural flavor
- The patties are very portable
- Very easy to store and convenient
- The price could be a little steep for some
- Might not be great for very young or old dogs
- Doesn’t work that well when added to other wet or dry foods
- The patties are pretty crumbly, so they can get a little messy
- Has a lot of carbs, which could be an issue for some
As one of the more popular brands of high-quality dog food, Stella & Chewy have come up with a freeze-dried raw food that your dog will enjoy. It’s a combination of 85% meat and 15% organs. How convenient is that!
This product was formulated using only natural ingredients and no additives or preservatives, so that’s a plus. There are also no added colorings, grains, or fillers.
9. Wellness Core Air Dried Grain Free Natural Dry Dog Food
We begin our list with one of the highest rated dog food products on Amazon, a top seller on Petco, and certified by the Veterinary Oral Health Council (VOHC). This dry dog food is considered to be one of the best foods for your dog with outstanding results.
The pet food experts at Wellness have created a balanced, grain free recipe that is perfect for dogs of all life stages. It’s complete and balanced nutrition that treats your dog to the nutrients they deserve, making this their core line of dog foods.
As we mentioned earlier, this dog food is made by holistic veterinarians, is rich in vitamins and minerals, and is made with all natural ingredients.
10. Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw Marie's Magical Dinner Dust
Those who are looking for quality proteins for their canine companions find that freeze-dried options, such as Freeze-Dried Raw Marie's Magical Dinner Dust for Dogs, fit the dietary requirements of their dog. This food comes complete with chicken, egg, and liver, which are high-quality proteins for dogs.
In addition, this food is rich in vitamins and minerals, such as vitamin A, which promotes maintenance and repair of tissue and in the growth of cells. However, a high-quality food should not just provide vitamins and minerals and proteins – there also needs to be an inclusion of carbohydrates, fats, and fiber to supply your dog with optimal nutrition.
Furthermore, this food comes complete with all the essential proteins, vitamins and minerals, providing optimal nutrition for your dog.
11. K9 Natural Grain-Free Freeze Dried Dog Food
- Free of ANY ingredients from farms
- Totally grain-free
- Rich in protein
- Totally balanced nutrition
- Certified by the USDA and NRC
- Made of high-nitrogen, cage-free turkey meat
- Freeze-dried pet food
- Maximum nutritional value available
- Quality control isn’t perfect
- Grain-free food is much more expensive than non-grain-free
- If you’re not aware of proper storage, the food may go bad after a few years
- Needs a consistent diet
As a owner of a Maltese Terrier, I always go out of my way to find the best dog food for her. One of the things I do is to read pet food reviews. Before settling with K9 Natural Grain Free Dog Food I looked at numerous other choices in a variety of price ranges.
The choice for K9 isn’t limited to my dog’s taste buds, but it’s the healthiest freeze dried dog food. While it wasn’t a great value for me since it’s grain-free. It is the best for keeping teeth healthy.
12. Small Batch Small Bites Freeze Dried Dog Food
- Generally low in phosphorus
- High in protein and lower in fat
- Small Bite form is often considered too small for dogs, and inconvenient for owners.
- Listed calories higher than actual calories.
Small Batch freeze dried dog food consists of two types of food: Meat Raw and Chicken and Vegetable Entree.
The food is unique in its low fat/high protein ratio, which will help promote a healthy blood sugar level in your dog.
The food is also high in antioxidants and phytonutrients, which can help with a healthy immune system, bone and joint health, and promotes a shiny coat.
13. Grandma Lucy's Artisan Dog Food
Grandma Lucy’s freeze-dried dog food is a favorite of many dog owners.
It’s made from USDA certified organic chicken, brown rice, and wholesome, natural greens … So your dog (even if he/she has allergies) doesn’t need to worry about getting an upset stomach, or even an allergy.
And another great aspect of this dog food is that, it’s suitable for sensitive stomachs!
14. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Organic Whole Grain Dog Food
- Has a nice taste
- Great for senior dogs
- Recommended by professional breeders
- Large variety of meats and vegetables
- Pure, organic ingredients
- May need to be broken up and opened
- Some users noted that it is a bit pricey
The Honest Kitchen’s dog food is a well-known product that’s definitely worth the price.
Honest Kitchen dog food is loaded with whole meats such as lamb, chicken, and turkey. It’s grain free and has no artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives.
The package is resealed on the top, so if you plan to store it for a long time it might be a bit tricky.
15. Nulo Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food
- Packed with vitamins and minerals
- Balanced diet
- Made in the USA
- May not be the best option for small breeds
With all the hype around the raw food diet it is no wonder that freeze-dried raw dog food has become so popular. In addition to this, it also comes in a wide range of convenient formats, from traditional kibble, pellets, and nuggets to freeze-dried, freeze-dried raw, and even raw food made fresh daily. If you are looking for a healthy, convenient way to feed your dog, then freeze-dried dog food could be a great choice that fits your lifestyle.
Nulo is a relatively new brand but has managed to make a name for itself by offering wholesome, natural dog food without any fillers or artificial ingredients. For example, with this meal option your dog will get a helping of beef and turkey as the main course and will receive plenty of vitamins, minerals, and omega fatty acids. In fact, because of the quality ingredients your dog will get 21 muscle-building proteins, no grains, no glutens, and no soy.
16. Stewart Raw Naturals Freeze Dried Dog Food Grain Free Made in USA
The Stewart Raw Naturals Freeze Dried Dog Food Grain Free is a good alternative for your dog, providing a nutritious meal that will keep him happy, active, and healthy.
Protein-rich, features a freeze dried chicken supplement. Protein is essential to a carnivore like a dog. It is used by the body to construct new tissue, repair muscle, and perform cellular functions.
Stewart Raw Naturals Freeze Dried Dog Food is sourced from US farmers, and is made by professionals with a long history of animal food processing and manufacturing.
17. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food
With the Honest Kitchen, you have a wide range of options – from grain-free sustainably-sourced chicken to grain-free sustainably-sourced turkey to all-natural beef.
If you think about it, the Honest Kitchen is exactly what it …is”. The honest kitchen, with honest ingredients. It’s 100% grain-free and perfect for any dog that has sensitivities to grain.
And all of the Honest Kitchen’s products are created to be low-calorie with minimum protein and fat levels. You’ll get a lot of bang for your buck with this product because it usually lasts a long time, even with multiple dogs.
18. Orijen Freeze Dried Dog Food Snacks
Many people prefer freeze dried dog food to wet or kibble. Which is to say nothing of the benefits of raw. Freeze dried dog food preserves the vitamins and minerals present in the original food.
The Orijen freeze dried dog treats, to take the example, include antioxidants, omega fatty acids, iron, zinc, protein, and a host of other key nutrients.
These treats come freeze dried, so they’re easy to store and carry. If you’re taking your dog with you on a hike, camping trip, or anywhere else a bag of freeze dried treats will be a welcome addition.
19. Merrick Backcountry Grain Free Dried Raw Meal Mixer Dog Food
20. Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Mini Nibs Grain Free Limited Ingredient Dog Entree
- Super convenient and easy to prepare
- Versatile can be stored up to 30 years
- Helps support positive skin and coat health
- Smaller sizes for small dogs and puppies
- Can be used in food processors as a mixer
- Made in the USA
- Good customer service
- High-quality grain-free food
Chicken, Paleo and Gluten Free.
If a dog has a sensitive stomach or has a problem with digesting certain foods, then granules are the way to go. This food is 100% freeze-dried and has a shelf-life of 20+ years. The best thing about freeze-dried foods is that they are super easy to digest/ingest – a lot easier than regular dog food because they don’t have to deal with the digestion process that regular dog food has to go through to get into the pet’s bloodstream. So now that we’ve established that freeze-dried dog food is the epitome of easy digestion, let’s talk about what the Vital Essentials freeze-dried dog food actually tastes like and how it benefits your dog.
21. Bravo Homestyle Freeze Dried Dinner Beef Food
- Fun to eat
- Easy to store and travel with
- Contains vitamins and minerals
- The ingredients are wholesome
- Tastes like beef
- Minimal ingredients
- Too much bone content
- Some batches are contaminated
- May be more profitable for the manufacturer due to lower costs of production
- A little bit expensive than other freeze dried dog foods
This freeze dried food is great for families that are looking for a wholesome, healthy alternative to the traditional dried foods.
It looks like the real deal, but it’s lighter, fluffier, and delicious. This dog dinner is also fortified