Just like us, dogs need the proper nutrition to be full of energy and live a long, healthy life. Dog foods containing raw meat or broth are extremely beneficial for making their skin and coat sleek, shiny, and healthy. They contain meat and fish, which are high in protein.
Of course, dog foods need to contain other nutrients at well. The following article will make you aware of the role of each nutrient in the food you feed your dog, and tell you some of the best holistic dog foods for your beloved canine.
|Diamond Naturals Dry Senior Dog Food Formula Made||Best Overall|
|Wysong Optimal Adult Canine Formula Dry Dog Food||Budget Pick|
|Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Alkaline Holistic Dog Food||Upgrade Pick|
1. Diamond Naturals Dry Senior Dog Food Formula Made
- Wet and dry dog food
- Contains herbs like parsley, flaxseed, ginger, dandelion, and licorice
- Contains kale, broccoli, and spinach for added vitamins and minerals
- Boosts immune system
- Added herb supplements
- Vitamin C and E antioxidants
- From family-owned, USDA-inspected facility
- Certified by 4-Paws
In our opinion, this health and wellness dry dog food is not only the best holistic dog food but also one of the best dog foods on the market.
Why does it rank as the best holistic dog food according to our research?
Diamond Naturals makes an excellent dry dog food that senior dogs will especially love. This formula contains chicken, egg, and oatmeal to provide protein for your dog. This dry dog food is made in the United States of America and contains no by-products or additives. It is a balanced diet that is also gluten-free for your dog.
2. Blue Buffalo Wilderness Rocky Mountain Recipe High Protein
18-Pound Containers (Pack of 12).
This natural dog food comes in a bucket of 18 pounds. It has zero artificial preservatives and additives.
The ingredients include deboned duck, lamb meal, chicken meal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, potatoes, lentils, whitefish meal, barley, natural flavors, tomatoes, blueberries, raspberries, dried carrot juice, dried spinach, dried beet pulp, sunflower oil and salt.
3. Wysong Optimal Adult Canine Formula Dry Dog Food
- All natural, organic, and holistic ingredients
- Lower in carbohydrates
- No chicken at all
- High in quercitin
- Formulated by a vet
- No un-pronounceable chemicals or additives
- Has probiotics
- Contains prebiotics
- Can be quite pricey
- Can be too rich for a pup with sensitive stomach
- May not be the best for dogs with insulin resistance
- Only has organ meats, and nothing else
Wysong Optimal Adult Canine formula is a high protein dog food that is made for the adult dog. It is a holistic diet that is designed to provide your dog with the full range of nutrients. It includes the minerals and vitamins that your dog needs for a healthy and happy life. This includes organic minerals and organic vitamins.
4. Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Adult Dry Dog Food
We really like the Blue Buffalo Life Protection Formula Natural Dog Food, and it’s what we’ve been feeding to our furry friend for the longest time.
There’s a good chance that you’ve heard of Blue Buffalo or at least seen one of their products in your local pet store.
They’ve been around for over 30 years and are easily one of top five pet-food brands. And that’s due to their quality formulas, which consists of high-quality ingredients that are both wholesome and healthy. They also test all products in their own lab to ensure quality, safety, and integrity.
5. Only Natural Pet MaxMeat Holistic Grain-Free Air Dried Dry Dog Food
Only Natural Pet is a brand of dog food that promotes itself as “conventional in not …conventional in method.” Apparently they put all of their effort to provide the best possible dog food made with all-natural, human quality ingredients.
Included in their MaxMeat formula is a real chicken meal/ real turkey meal/ real duck meal, in a complete cut fresh or air dried form. It also contains cage-free turkey, chicken, and bison.
The formula also made sure to use absolutely no grains, corn, soy, wheat, or artificial flavors, colors, or additives.
6. "I and love and you" Naked Essentials Dry Dog Food
This high-quality, premium dog food by I & Love & You was created with affordability and sustainability in mind. Carrying four different flavors and using only all-natural ingredients, this product is great for dogs of all varieties.
It contains no chemicals or artificial preservatives and has been deemed an organic dog food for pets genetically modified. The protein sources are also breed-specific to be more attractive to their target dog breed.
Some of the protein sources include chicken, lamb, and salmon while other notable pillars of ingredients include ingredients like vegetables, antioxidants, and other specific elements of health like taurine.
7. Wellness CORE Natural Grain Free Dry Dog Food
Among the best holistic dog foods are dry dog food formulas. Some common problems found in commercial dog food include allergy reactions, digestive problems, and skin flare-ups. At around 1,000 calories per pound, Wellness CORE Original is considered a relatively average dry dog food.
While it’s made with relatively few ingredients – just meat, vegetables and fruit – it’s high in protein and fat, and it’s low in carbohydrates. All of the protein sources are listed as high quality ingredients. It contains pumpkin, which is one of the better foods to offer for gastrointestinal health. It’s also simple for dogs with food sensitivities.
8. Health Extension Grain Free Dry Dog Food
The Holistic Grain Free Dry Dog Food is made from a special recipe that will be sure to give your dog a healthy lifestyle. That’s because it’s loaded with healthy proteins – giving them energy needed to stay active.
Its protein-rich ingredients will also help to keep your dog’s coat healthy, so they won’t develop hair loss and dull, brittle coats.
To top it all off, this grain-free dog food is also free of soy, corn, and fish. It also has a low glycemic count, which is great for maintaining a healthy dog weight.
9. Blue Buffalo Basics Limited Ingredient Diet
- Blue's Limited Ingredient Diet line of dog food carries 2 AAFCO approved "complete and balanced" feeding trials, plus 3 independent tests all confirming the high quality nutrition of this food line
- Blue has a trust factor with many dog owners due to its use of high quality natural ingredients and the care it puts into ingredient sourcing
- The ingredient list reads like a nutritional wishlist, with high amounts of those ingredients needed for good health in dogs
- Blue provides with an easily user-available link (in the ‘sources’ behind the company name) to where the company sources its ingredients and the food stuffs made from those ingredients
- The food is available at attractive prices for ingredient quality and is made from high-protein, high-fiber ingredients that are likely to keep your dog feeling full so that she's less likely to beg or to eat from the table, another ding in the shield against Blue's nutritional value
- This food is easily digestible by most dogs on the basis of anecdotal reports from satisfied owners
(Blue Buffalo Basics Mini; Natural Adult Dry Dog Food)
10. Solid Gold
- Premium, human-grade ingredients
- Grain and gluten-free
- High protein content
- Made in the USA in a FDA-inspected facility
- Never contains added hormones or antibiotics
- Total Omega-3 and Omega-6 fatty acids are 1.7% and 1.5%, respectively
- Contains fresh-frozen salmon and fresh vegetables
- Contains vitamin A, C, E, B6, thiamin, riboflavin, folate, niacin, B12, D, K, biotin, pantothenic acid, iron, zinc, copper, iodine, selenium, phosphorus, manganese, potassium, calcium, and magnesium
- Perfect for dogs with sensitive stomachs, and dogs with skin, coat, or joint issues
- Unparalleled palatability
11. Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast Grain-Free Dry Dog Food
- Good quality protein – ideal for building muscle and joint health
- Satisfied a wide range of dog breeds
- Won’t cause gas
- Has a low amount of fat and calories
- A great deal for the price
- Fairly balanced diet
- Loved by dog owners and pet nutritionists alike
- Easy to chew
- Very healthy for dogs
- Extremely healthy dog food
- A little too rich for young puppies according to some reviews
- It could be a bit heavy if too much is fed
- Not recommended for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Might get sick if leftovers are not stored properly
Earthborn Holistic Great Plains Feast Grain-Free Dry Dog Food is highly-rated by users. It comes with brown rice, which is a good source of energy. A good balance of protein and fat ensures good muscle mass development and maintains good weight.
With its inclusion of fruits and vegetables, the diet is quite balanced. Together with brown rice, this makes the food highly nutritious and healthy. The food can also be fed to dogs with sensitive stomachs, as the fruits and vegetables being added aid in digestion.
12. Halo Natural Dry Dog Food
- Clinically tested and recommended to help improve your dog’s joint health
- All natural and grain-free with no corn, wheat, soy, artificial flavors, colors, or preservatives
- Made with high quality ingredients (and contains no chicken or poultry by-product meals, ground corn or soy, artificial colors, flavors, and preservatives)
- Oven baked to lock in natural goodness and promote healthy digestion
- Also features unique ingredients like salmon oil rich in omega-3 fatty acids, kelp, and prebiotics to help your dog maintain a healthy digestive system
- High protein for high energy and healthy muscle development
- High fiber to help your dog maintain a healthy digestive system
- Also features high levels of antioxidants and vitamins
- Contains chicken and chicken liver (chicken is a corn-gluten meal by-product)
- Contains carrageenan (natural emulsifier from red seaweed)
- Contains guar gum (a derivative of guar beans)
- Contains rice starch
- Contains brewers yeast
13. Diamond Naturals Dry Food
One of the few dry dog foods on the market to earn the AAFCO approval, Diamond Naturals is a high-quality formula.
One of the more interesting things we found is that this food is manufactured with the same use of live probiotics in the food manufacturing process. It’s important for this because it helps establish a healthy gut flora in dogs.
In addition, this holistic dog food also contains fruits and vegetables, which provide necessary vitamins and minerals.
14. V-Dog Vegan Kibble Dry Dog Food
PS – the picture above the title is NOT the V-Dog’s kibble, it’s a different brand.
There are many vegan dog foods out there, and choosing the right one for your dog can be tough. Most vegan dog food brands use cheap, fillers.
V-Dog is one of the few vegan dog foods that has been veterinarian approved. If you’re reading this you’ve probably already read our roundup of the best vegan dog foods on the market right now, and why you should avoid others. So, instead of repeating the same information, here’s why you should consider this V-Dog product.
15. Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food
If you’re fed up with the use of artificial ingredients, you may want to consider the Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food.
This is a great choice for owners of dogs that have a sensitive stomach or are lactose intolerant. It’s also great for pets that have allergies to meat.
Specifically, it is made of wholesome ingredients that are easy to digest. It contains no meat of any kind – not even by-products.
16. Instinct Be Natural Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food Formerly Prairie by Nature's Variety
- USDA certified organic ingredients
- Has probiotics in every treat
- Made from completely natural whole-food ingredients
- No flavorings
- No unnecessary fillers or additives
- No by-products
- High in protein
- 100% grain-free
- Home-cooked meals
- Contains fruit and vegetables
17. Earthborn Holistic Natural Food
18. Taste of the Wild High Protein Real Meat Recipe Dry Dog Food
- High in protein content
- Contains probiotics
- Simple and no-fuss recipes
- Crunchy kibble
- Suitable for all breeds
- Good for senior dogs
- Contains omega-3 and omega-6 fatty acids, which helps with the skin and coat
- Contains 5% fat, which is the perfect balance according to experts
- Contains fruits and vegetables
- Promotes healthy digestion
Calcium – Minimum 0.9%
Phosphorus – Minimum 0.7%
Vitamin E – Minimum 0.75 IU/kg (91 IU/cup)
19. Blackwood Pet Sensitive Skin and Stomach Dog Food Made in USA
- Most holistic dog food
- No corn, wheat, soy, meat, dairy, egg, fish or anything with artificial flavors, colors or preservatives
- Also comes in grain free and prescription chicken formulas, as well as lamb and venison
- Contains a host of essential vitamins and minerals including iron, vitamin E, zinc, and vitamin D
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Made in the USA, not China
- Approved by the Whole Pet Journal
- Contains high levels of Omega 3 and Omega 6 fatty acids
- All ingredients are non-GMO, and the supplement facts are certified by the Non-GMO Project
- This is a grain-free dry dog food
- High in fat and carbs
- Some dogs develop an allergy to dried fish
- Some dogs suffered gastrointestinal problems
(Rich in Omega-3 and Omega-6 Fatty Acids; Probiotics; DHA; Chia)
20. Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Alkaline Holistic Dog Food
- 40% of protein and 30% of fat
- 100% pure amino acids, vitamins and minerals
- The first-of-its-kind product without any grains, potato, tapioca or other fillers
- Made in the USA from all USA sourced ingredients
- Grain-free, color-free, and gluten-free
- Supports a healthy immune system and gastrointestinal tract
- No corn, wheat, or soy
- Made without animal byproducts
- Gluten and sugar free
- Suitable for dogs with skin, stomach and joint problems
- Non-GMO = Not 100% Ethical
- Contains multiple types of meat, still one animal at a time
21. Wysong Vegan Feline/Canine Formula Dry Dog/Cat Food
- Nutritional support for dogs of all ages
- Great for allergic or stressed dogs
- Excellent for dogs with health issues
- Small kibbles are easy for dogs to chew
- Contains probiotics to improve digestion
- Excellent source of vitamins and minerals
- Suitable for dogs who are sensitive to carbohydrates and grains
- Healthy, balanced, grain-free and gluten-free
- Food that is suitable for humans
- High quality ingredients
- By adding water to the food, it becomes thin and tends to get stuck in the dog’s teeth
- Some dogs don’t like the smell of the food
This dog food is grain-free, gluten-free, soy-free and has no fillers, artificial flavors or colors. It is high in protein and provides your dog with a healthy and natural diet.
The ingredients contain Omega 3 fatty acids which are known to be beneficial to canine health.
Suitable for dogs of all ages, this dog food could be recommended for dogs who have allergies, digestion problems, have skin, ear or joint conditions, or any other health issues.
22. Petcurean Gather Endless Valley Vegan Recipe Dry Dog Food
Our top pick is Petcurean Gather Endless Valley Vegan Recipe Dry Dog Food, a Holistic Pet Food that is healthy and contains high quality ingredients that are approved by the USDA. These include fruits, vegetables, legumes, whole oats, brown rice, and a super ingredient corn, which are found in this dry dog food formula. This makes this product easy on your pup’s stomach, which is great since many dogs can have sensitive stomachs and you don’t want to be throwing up all over the place.
And if you want to know what the experts say about the product, the Natural Dog Food Advisor gave the Petcurean Gather product 5 Paws Up and in the end they recommended this product. It also turns out that most dog owners and reviewers on Chewy have also given this product five-paws up and many reviews have said that the product has helped their dog a lot or even saved their dog’s life. As a result, you can never go wrong with this product.
23. Solid Gold
- Premium dog food that’s rich in nutrients to keep your dog happy, healthy and active
- A healthy alternative to grain and carbohydrate heavy dog food
- Features healthy and sustainable proteins including duck, quail and chickpeas
- Contains healthy and organic vegetables that your dog loves
- L-Carnitine is included to help with metabolizing fat, as well as fiber that aids with digestion
- Provides immune support, as well as improved cognitive health
- Only raw, fresh and natural ingredients
- Perfect for sensitive stomachs and dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Higher price point than other brands
- Contains a lot of distinguish flavors that are a bit strange for dog food
- Includes ingredients that are not easily digestible
Most users rave about the quality and taste of Solid Gold foods. This brand really pays attention to the quality of their ingredients. If you want to offer your pooch a healthy alternative to commercial dog foods, Solid Gold should be your first choice.
24. KetunPet Vegan Dog Food
Ketunpet dog food is a great choice for dogs and puppies looking for a great food that is healthy, nutritious, and kind to the environment. If your original plan was to make your dog's food, this may be the place to purchase the ingredients, as KetunPet offers appropriate supplies as well as a handy cookbook.
This company has formulated a recipe that is vegan, a great alternative for those of us who want to make our own food, but consider ourselves "non-cooks." The majority of commercial dog food is based on poor quality ingredients that are not healthy for your dog. Dogs thrive on a diet filled with fresh and wholesome food, which offers them optimal nutrition for a long and healthy life.
What is surprising about this food is that many dogs love the taste. This was especially surprising considering that this food is vegan and not animal-based. After speaking to the people behind the product, it was explained that they developed a formulation that was attractive to dogs. It's not unusual to be leery of the vegan diet, even though dogs have been on it for years.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best all natural dog food on the market?
There is no doubt that a dog is a man’s best friend. Dogs are able to show you their unconditional love for the rest of their lives. Dogs are not judgmental or hypocritical (I am talking about humans here).
They have an amazing sense of loyalty to their owners, which makes the bond between man and his best friend very strong. Dogs have been the best companion and they have supported a lot of people in their times of need.
Cats have their uses too, and they are adorable, but I have to say that my dog beats the cat in terms of what dogs can offer.
They can do a lot of things that you might not think are possible when you get one.
What is the healthiest dog food on the market today?
It is important to feed your dog the best holistic dog food possible or the parasites in your house will keep coming back over and over. Why play guessing games? Just use the Holistic Dog Food Chart and find out which foods your dog needs most.
Is Holistic a good dog food?
There's a lot of rhetoric out there that says "humane" or "natural" is equivalent to "good". Just like people, not everyone with a good personality lives a good life or lives by good principles. If you insist on buying "humane" or "natural" dog food, I recommend you check out the ingredients before buying a bag.
What brand of dog food is killing dogs?
You can find out here.
Certain brands of dog food have been found to cause kidney failure in dogs. This occurs usually when the product has been exposed to extreme heat for long periods of time.
It is important to note this can also happen to homemade dog food too!
In January 2013 the FDA suspected a popular pet food brand named Evanger’s Dog & Cat Food to have caused heart failure in numerous dogs.
What makes this pet food so special? The company prides itself on using only the freshest, locally sourced ingredients.
Pet owners have reported their dogs suffering from symptoms including kidney failure, vomiting and diarrhea.
See more pet food recall information here.
As it turns out, the Evanger’s brand was found to be heating up their food to a temperature where the food began to break down. This then caused the food to release something toxic to animals.
If you’re looking for a holistic dog food, we hope that this list is useful to you. If it is, please rate it by clicking on the top right corner of your screen.
Just so you know, holistic dog foods contain all natural, human grade ingredients and are formulated to provide optimum nutrition for your dog. Most importantly, holistic dog foods come from companies with a reputation for using safe and healthy ingredients, so that you and your dog can have the peace of mind of knowing that you’re feeding your best friend the best food for his or her health.
|Diamond Naturals Dry Senior Dog Food Formula Made||Best Overall|
|Wysong Optimal Adult Canine Formula Dry Dog Food||Budget Pick|
|Canine Caviar Limited Ingredient Alkaline Holistic Dog Food||Upgrade Pick|