Hummingbirds are some of the most fascinating birds in North America. No wonder they are so highly admired by birdwatchers!
Did you know that hummingbirds have been known to fly up to 60 miles per day in order to find food? And during the cold months, they don’t migrate! Instead, they endure the cold and eat food to maintain their body temperatures.
|Wildlife Accessories S10028 Best-1 Hummingbird Nectar||Best Overall|
|EZNectar Refill "One-Shot"||Budget Pick|
|Pennington ElectroNectar Ready to Use Hummingbird Nectar||Upgrade Pick|
1. Wildlife Accessories S10028 Best-1 Hummingbird Nectar
- 28 years experience
- Made in the USA
- 12 oz. of nectar per serving
- No water needed
- The cup isn’t transparent (so you can’t easily see how much nectar you have left)
- The sugar content (40%) is slightly high for Hummingbirds
- Sometimes the nectar can feel a bit lumpy
Toward the bottom of our list, but coming in at a close third is the Wildlife Accessories 28- ounce nectar dispenser which is ideal for hummingbirds.
The plastic cup has 2 whole ounces more of nectar than the top two items on our list.
This hummingbird nectar concentrate is jam-packed with the energy necessary for your hummingbird to get through the summer heat.
2. Homestead 32 oz Hummingbird Clear Nectar Concentrate
- No tasting or bitter aftertaste
- Stays fresh for up to 1 year
- No need to refrigerate after opening
- Lots of customers love it
- Great price
The formula is made only from natural ingredients, and it’s made in the USA.
This hummingbird food is ready-to-use, no preparation needed. Which means you can get into the action as soon as you receive it.
It’s lightweight, so it’s easy enough to carry around. Some reviewers even use it to make their own homemade hummingbird nectar.
3. Hummingbird Market Hummingbird Nectar
- Natural ingredients
- Hummingbird approved
- Made in the USA
- Visually pleasant
- Mixes easily
- Thickens with exposure to cold
- Poor shipping practices
The Hummingbird Market 80oz Wild Bird Nectar makes 16 ounces of hummingbird nectar. With good reviews of 3 out of 5 stars, people say it’s easy to use, mixes easily, and isn’t hard to clean up. Plus, many reviewers report seeing a hummingbird feeding from their feeder within the first hour.
The Hummingbird Market’s formula contains a complex yet non-toxic blend of red and blue colors, and it’s completely made in the USA. Hummingbird haven’t seen the need to change it for 22 years, and have confidence that the blend will last another 22 years and beyond.
4. Perky-Pet 6-Pack Instant Hummingbird Nectar Concentrate Each Pack Makes 48 oz.
- Adorable and delicious hummingbird feeder that has four feeding stations
- The feeder can also serve as a hummingbird bath
- The feeder also comes with a built-in ant moat which keeps ants from stealing the nectar
- The design of the feeder makes it easy to refill and clean
- The nectar in the feeder is so delicious that hummingbirds will flock to your feeder
Hummingbirds are a delight to watch, they’re unique abilities and alluring colors are the perfect addition to your patio or garden.
They’re also important pollinators, adding color to the ecosystem we live in.
If you want to attract these wonderful creatures to your yard we recommend Perky-Pet’s Instant Hummingbird Nectar Concentrate.
5. Naturally Fresh Hummingbird Nectar
Safe and Natural, No Artificial Sweeteners or Colors with 1X Antioxidant Booster and 1X Ultimate Control.
The Naturally Fresh Hummingbird Nectar with Nectar Defender, Makes 96 ounces of Clear Hummingbird Nectar, Lasts Longer in Hummingbird Feeders, Safe and Natural, No Artificial Sweeteners or Colors with 1X Antioxidant Booster and 1X Ultimate Control is a great product for the price.
Pure and Simple, this hummingbird nectar is not only affordable, it is simple to use, simply add one part of nectar to four parts of water. The specially designed feeder bottle makes adding this nectar to your feeder easy, and is also large enough to last you for a long time.
6. Sweet-Seed Sweet-Nectar Premium Hummingbird Food All-Natural & Dye Free Premium Hummingbird Nectar Ready-to-Use Formula
- Variety of flavours to choose from
- Available in 4 different types
- The plastic container can be reused to store hummingbird nectar
- Provides adequate nutrition for hummingbirds
- Does not attract ants or bees
- Includes a long-lasting, leak-proof seal
- Bio-degradable and compostable
- Made from high-quality materials
Sweet-Seed is a company that prides itself on making only the best hummingbird food and nectar. Its products come in all-natural and dye free 100% liquid sucrose juices, which are the sweetest commonly available natural sugars. This hummingbird food is a great way to attract various species of hummingbirds to your house, yard, or garden.
What’s great about this product is that it’s not only designed to attract hummingbirds but also to provide them with the adequate nutrition that they need.
The hummingbird nectar by Sweet-Seed is one of the best and healthiest ways to attract hummingbirds to your yard or garden.
7. Audubon Park 1661 Hummingbird Food Nectar Powder
The Audubon Park brand is well respected and trusted. They’ve manufactured a variety of high-quality bird seed mixtures. That’s why we decided to pick the 1661 variety.
The 1661 is meant for various species of hummingbirds, which makes it a great value for the amount you get. The powder has an attractant which is added to the nectar after it’s mixed, that helps the birds find the feeder. This process will cause the feeder to produce little bubbles that make it easier for the hummingbirds to feed.
The nectar is made from a mixture of sugar and eight natural rich fruit flavors that appeal to hummingbirds.
8. Sweet-Seed, LLC Nectar Fusions Hummingbird Food: All-Natural & Dye Free
- Brightens your hummingbird’s mood and plumage
- Ingredients are all natural with no artificial ingredients, colors, or preservatives
- It’s also dye free and 100% safe for consumption
- Comes with a drip-free lid
- Syrupy texture ensures easy feeder filling
- Does not turn to glucose or crystallize when stored for a long time
- Everything you need to start feeding hummingbirds is included in the package
- Economical and very cost-effective
- Only takes a few seconds to feed hummingbirds
- Capacity may not be enough for a large number of birds
- The color may be too bright when diluted
- Not too suitable for inexperienced bird feeders
When it comes to attracting hummingbirds, Sweet-Seed is one of the best options to consider. It’s packed with all the essential ingredients you need to start feeding hummingbirds – all in one container. The formula even includes pollen to help with molting, boosting its nutrient value. The all-natural and dye free nectar has no preservatives, thus, the feeder will not go bad even if stored for long periods of time.
9. Hummers Galore
- Comes with 3 80 oz bottles
- Perfect for BHC brix
- All natural, no preservatives
- Provides flavor enhancers like vanilla and sugar
- For the price, this is the best nectar you can get
- Encourages hummingbirds to visit your garden
- 6.6/10 rating online with over 5700 reviews on Amazon
- You need to make sure you keep it refrigerated
- Condensation will build up inside the bottle, due to the glass
- Does not include the feeding ports
This product is the best hummingbird food according to Amazon reviews. Hummingbirds are naturally attracted to the color red, so the red color will attract the hummingbirds.
This product is 100% all natural and it has no preservatives.
You can add flavor enhancers like vanilla and sugar to the hummingbird nectar.
10. Natural Springs 100080659 Hummingbird Nectar Ready to Use 64oz
- Wide variety of flavors and colors
- High-quality ingredients
- Easy to open and pour
- Does not contain any artificial ingredients
- Lack of resealable bottle
- The brand has been known to be adulterated with sugar water
- Does not ship well, and requires refrigeration
- The food coloring has been known to cause adverse reactions in birds
Our top pick for best hummingbird food is the Natural Springs brand, with its 10 different flavors and colors available. The product simply offers everything you need to ensure that your hummingbird can feed itself properly. It is available in numerous flavors, and has received positive reviews for its flavors as well as natural ingredients.
The other thing that stands out about this product is the wide variation in colors. For instance, the pomegranate is only available in a few products, including this one. It is important to note, however, that if you choose the “preservative free” version, you will have to prepare the food immediately after it is opened. This will prolong the food’s life.
The only weak point about this product is the bottle. It is not resealable, so you’ll have to drink the product in one go, or transfer it to another container.
11. Moore Wild Birds Hummingbird Kit
- Provides enjoyment for both novice and experienced bird-watchers
- Provides fresh nectar at all times
- Brings color and activity to your garden
- Easily attracts hummingbirds to your yard
- The nectar lasts for about a month
- The clear design lets you keep an eye on your birds
- Extremely sweet, which may be bad for species of birds as well as at-risk folks
- Fruit flies can get in
- Not weatherproof
This set comes with a feeder, a 16 ounce nectar jug and a cleaning brush. It measures approximately 10 by 10 by 20, and can be used indoors or out.
It’s easy to fill and maintain, as all you have to do is remove the red top and fill with nectar. Put it back on, turn it upside down and let gravity do its thing. No need to get your hands sticky while you clean.
It’s easy to clean, too, with its non-stick finish and no sharp edges. Just be careful when you’re cleaning it.
12. Kaytee 100506148 Ready to Use Hummingbird ElectroNectar
- Good for beginners and experienced bird owners
- The electric feeder comes with a 1 year warranty
- This kit comes with everything you’ll need to enjoy hummingbird feeders
- Includes a large reserve basin which holds up to 32 ounces of nectar
- It’s virtually maintenance-free; simply fill the reservoir once a week and you’re done
- The design of the feeder is compact and easy to maintain
- The feeder is made out of long-lasting plastic
- The feeder is easy to clean and has foam floats which will keep the nectar fresh and will assist the hummingbirds in drinking
This kit does not include a nectar mixture; you have to make your own or buy one separately. Homemade nectar requires sugar and water, so you will need to factor that into your budget.
The feeder has no red feeder ports which is what the hummingbirds use to navigate. So it’s best to use this feeder for either one male hummingbird or for 2 females at the same time.
The price might be a little high for some people.
13. (2 Pack) Songbird Essentials SE629 Clear Hummingbird Nectar
- Hummingbirds are beautiful to look at and a delight to listen to, that’s why many people enjoy having these buzzing birds around.
- They also make truly incredible feathered pets.
When it comes to caring and feeding our feathered friends, we must understand that we mustn’t try to feed them with the same things we feed our cats and dogs. It’s different.
This is why we’re here to help you choose the best hummingbird food and nectar. We’ll explain which types of food are the best and which ones can be harmful to the animal.
We’ll also take a look at a few healthy food alternatives for our fave little birds.
14. Pennington ElectroNectar Ready to Use Hummingbird Nectar
- Long lasting: No need to immediately replace your feeders once the nectar is gone
- Safe: No preservatives or pesticides
- Gets rid of the waste: No need to drain or throw out old nectar
- Odorless: No old nectar or even "new nectar" smell
- Fully organic: With no additives or dyes
- Has no impurities: Helps you avoid any petroleum residues (you know, the stuff in their natural diets that kills them)
- Kosher: Without the need to add Boiling Water Traps
- Antibacterial: Gives you the ability to avoid contamination caused by feeder misuse
- Easy to fill: No need to heat up and boil water
- Meets health requirements as a vegan
15. Perky-Pet 238 Hummingbird Nectar
Despite being tiny, hummingbirds are really active and demanding creatures. They require a high protein diet that is dehydrated or naturally dried from flowers and plants. The food you use for a humiingbird must have the right elements to attract them and keep them healthy.
In some cases, the food's needs will include to supply plants that provide enough protein for them, which can also be difficult if you are in an area that has little to no hummingbirds present.
It also helps to consider that humiingbirds are hooked on nectar, hence the reason they are known as the ‘nectar-feeding birds.’
16. EZNectar – The Only Ready-to-Use Hummingbird Nectar "Exactly Like Flower Nectar." Patented
- Easy to use and fill
- Comes with 3 travel mugs plus funnel
- No preservatives and no dyes
- Naturally syrupy texture with real juice
- No refrigeration needed
- Styrofoam mugs are a bit flimsy
- Made with corn syrup which can harm hummingbirds
- The price could be cheaper
3 Travel Mugs Included.
EZNectar is the only ready-to-use hummingbird food and it’s so easy to use. It’s already in a syrupy state that mimics the natural flower nectar available at hummingbird plants.
There are 3 travel mugs included with sealed tight lids and a funnel included in the box. Also included in the package is a recipe that you can use to make a batch of nectar which you can store in the fridge and use when needed.
17. Perky Pet 240SF 8 Oz Red Original Instant Nectar
At last count, there were over 400 varieties of hummingbirds in North America. So it’s no surprise that people are trying to attract them to their backyard. However, the hard part is figuring out which feeder to buy.
There are hundreds of hummingbird feeders to choose from, but it’s hard to figure out what feeder will work best for you and your garden.
Hummingbirds prefer to eat at a 90-degree angle, so we love the Perky-Pet Pro feeders. They have a unique design that prevents the bird from flying inside the feeder. Plus, they’re also easy to clean.
18. F.M. Brown's Garden Chic Hummingbird Instant Nectar
- Overall affordable pricing
- Comes in a 4-pack
- Easy to use
- Award winning formulation and flavor
- Provides essential vitamins, minerals, and other nutrients your hummingbird needs to stay healthy
- No artificial dyes or food coloring
- Uses brown cane sugar (not the best option for diabetics)
- Not suitable for canaries or finches
We put this product at the top of this list because it’s the best overall choice. It’s an option that will work for newbies and experts alike because of how it’s formulated.
F.M. Brown’s formula is made from a mix of specially-selected nectar and a blend of vitamins, minerals, and sugar-based juice concentrates.
This combination helps to create a beverage that more closely resembles a natural nectar found in the wild, which is one of the reasons that it’s so popular and effective.
19. EZNectar Refill "One-Shot"
- Extra-concentrated formula is scientifically developed to be healthier for hummingbirds
- Provides 11 percent more nectar than other brands
- Simply fill the feeders up once every 8-14 days to make up to 32 fl oz. of nectar
- Food coloring is derived from natural sources
- Approved by the Audubon Society
- Helps provide hummingbirds with a complete and balanced diet
- No artificial dyes or preservatives
- The price is more than other brands of nectar, but you pay for quality
- Not all stores carry this particular brand, so you may want to shop around for it
- Not the best for freezing
- Very sticky if not stored properly
Hummingbird Nectar is a necessity for every prospective hummingbird homeowner. This product is specially formulated and flavored to provide hummingbirds with everything they need to stay healthy and happy.
Made with non-GMO ingredients, EZNectar is 100 percent diet compliant with the National Audubon Society and Environmental Protection Agency recommendations.
20. Thomas Moore Feed 2283 Hummingbird Nectar Powder
The Thomas Moore feed 2283 Nectar is the best hummingbird food and nectar choice. It’s a great choice because it’s highly nutritious and it’s very easy to make.
It’s not just a great choice for hummingbirds either; it’s also great for other small birds like finches, canaries, and waxbills.
This hummingbird nectar is nothing like the sugar water that you may have tried to make in the past.
21. Birds Choice ND1024 Nectar
- * Good value for money
Whether you’re a well-established bird lover or just starting out, you’re most likely up to an adventure trip every few days. In such situations you need a hummingbird food solution that you can easily carry around, and that’s exactly what the Birds Choice ND1024 Nectar 24-Ounce Clear Bottle is all about.
This one comes in a plastic bottle, which is the easiest way to store and carry your nectar. It’s designed to be spill-proof and leak-proof, ensuring that all your nectar won’t spill, no matter how bumpy your adventure.
The bottle is BPA-free and transparent. You can easily see how much nectar you have, and when it’s about to run out.
22. Songbird Essentials SE634 Hummingbird Nectar Bird Accessory
- Comes with a 1-year warranty
- Tested to keep harmful bacteria and mold out of the nectar
- 16 oz. jar
- Clear and easy to read ingredient label
- High quality nectar
- Also attracts other types of birds as well like orioles and jays
- To attract hummers, you’ll have to completely change out the nectar every few days (make sure to use a little bit of hot water and soap as you change it to clean out the container)
- Some users found that they needed to add sugar to the mix. Be careful, if you use too much sugar than it will be bad for your bird.
As we’ve already discussed, hummingbirds are attracted to red colors and aren’t as attracted to yellow. Looking at the label of SE634 you’ll notice that it looks red. Plus, it’s also pink in color, which is a color that attracts some hummingbirds.
23. Nature Land Candles Hummingbird Food Instant Nectar Ready to Use 67.5 oz 2 liters
This hummingbird food is made in the USA by Nature Land Candles. This hummingbird nectar mix has a consistency similar to honey. It’s also calorie-rich and loaded with vitamin C.
This food is also completely free from antibiotics, all chemicals and preservatives. This mix makes it into the best hummingbird food because of its thick glass bottle and its hand-crafted nature.
The other reason Nature Land Candles’ mix ranks so high is that it’s a great value for its price. It’s a huge bottle, which means you’ll be able to feed your hummingbirds for a very long time.
24. Early Bird Red Hummingbird Nectar Powder Concentrate
What is the best hummingbird food? Hummers are obligate nectarivores —”nutritional specialists that subsist entirely on a diet of nectar. And they thrive on a diet of hummingbird nectar, which they obtain from a variety of feeder types, including hummingbird feeders.
Red hummingbird food is the most popular, of course, because it looks like the nectar that wild hummingbirds find naturally – red in color with a slight scent of flowers.
For a hummingbird feeder that’s designed for use with a hummingbird food package, we like the Perky-Pet 8 ounce hummingbird feeder (the most popular and top-rated hummingbird feeder on Amazon).
25. Pennington Natural Springs Nectar Hummingbird Food
- Honeysuckle sweet flavor
- Mixes well and stores well
- Moist and stays sweeter longer
- Has flower essence
- It’s American made, certified kosher and reliable
- It’s enriched with vitamin D3
- Cost-effective; you’ll be able to feed your Hummingbirds for months with a single purchase
- It’s definitely not one of the authentic Amazon products
- Some feel that the nectar is not thick enough
- It’s not the very best food you can get for your hummingbirds
- The container is leaky
- It’s not pure sucrose
If you’re looking for a middle-of-the-road hummingbird food, then the Pennington Natural Spring Hummingbird Food is a conservative choice. A more elaborate version of the feed used in commercial feeders.
Overall, it’s a solid product with the right combination of nutrients to keep your favorite hummingbird species.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Is store bought nectar bad for hummingbirds?
Yes, it is. Actually, all non-hummingbird foods are bad for hummingbirds including the store bought mix.
Hummingbirds can only eat the food they need if they are out of the store bought nectar with sugar as their top ingredient.
When you give Hummingbirds store bought sugar nectar or commercial mixes, researchers have found the effects to be detrimental to their overall health.
Most of the cheaper feeders on the market are made out of cheap materials and easily break or leak. It is not uncommon to find Hummingbirds with long-term health issues due to them eating this liquid sugar food from our feeders.
They can even create heart, liver, and kidney problems. However, the biggest issue is that out of the many types of nectar on the market which is as healthy as it can be for the Hummingbird, there is only one type that perfect for a Hummingbird to eat.
What is the best hummingbird feeder on the market?
I have really always liked the idea of the original HummZinger because it was the first hummingbird feeder that I had ever bought. I can hardly remember what kind of feeder I was using before, but I do know that it wasn't a HummZinger.
I have tried a few others, and one thing I like about the HummZinger line is that they are not just a feeder; the entire line of HummZinger products is designed with one basic idea in mind: Creating a unique system that is perfect for attracting, protecting, and feeding hummingbirds.
How often should I change my hummingbird nectar?
The frequency of which you change your hummingbird food depends on which type of feeder you are using. If you are using a standard basin feeder, you can pretty much leave it until it is empty. However, if you are using a hummingbird feeder with ports, it is recommended to change it more often.
Do hummingbirds prefer warm or cold nectar?
I get this question a lot. Most people assume that since hummingbirds are warm blooded creatures, they would prefer warm nectar. However, this is not true at all. In a nectar feeder, warm and cold nectar are treated equally and they go for the mix they like, regardless of the temperature.
If you're looking at the feeder itself, though, keep in mind that it can be a little breeding ground for bacteria. The food may be at room temperature, but the inside of the feeder can get pretty warm. If you let it sit too long, this can prove to be a breeding ground for bacteria, so it's best to not let it sit out longer than a day, or to not use it for more than one day. If you're keeping moisture in the feeder, it's also a good idea to put some unused, clean nectar back on top of the old stuff.
If you can’t attract hummingbirds to your yard and garden, how can you enjoy watching these exciting little birds? I’ve created the following review guide to help you find the best hummingbird food available in 2019. If you rely on what’s widely sold in retail stores, it may be too late. You can find an excellent solution in this buying guide.
|Wildlife Accessories S10028 Best-1 Hummingbird Nectar||Best Overall|
|EZNectar Refill "One-Shot"||Budget Pick|
|Pennington ElectroNectar Ready to Use Hummingbird Nectar||Upgrade Pick|