Choosing the best hydrogen peroxide for dogs may seem daunting, but with the right information, it can become much simpler.
Just like with their human companions, dog owners need to know how to properly administer different types of medications and treatments. To do this, they need to know where to get the best deals on such products for their pets, so they can use them at home or take them to the vet’s office to be administered as directed.
Hydrogen peroxide is one product that pet owners need to have on hand for a variety of health and grooming issues. It can be used as an antiseptic, a treatment for digestive upset, and even a flea and tick deterrent.
Pet owners can inject hydrogen peroxide into the ears of their pets to help relieve anything from ear infections to wax buildup; some also use it as a bath additive to help with skin, coat, and ear issues.
If you own a dog, you’ve probably already used hydrogen peroxide at least once before as a treatment method. In addition, if you own more than one dog, it’s likely you’ve used bottled hydrogen peroxide on more than one occasion.
However, there are some differences you should be aware of when using bottled hydrogen peroxide for your pets versus the hydrogen peroxide already available in your home.
|Essential Oxygen Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3%||Best Overall|
|Swan Hydrogen Peroxide Topical 32 Ounces Pack of 2||Budget Pick|
|Organic Hydrogen Peroxide||Upgrade Pick|
1. Essential Oxygen Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
- Contains natural ingredients
- Provides a low amount of H2O2
- Eliminates odors safely
- Suitable for both humans and dogs
Safe for use on various surfaces.
For the best h2o2 for dogs, we recommend using the Essential Oxygen Premium Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 32 oz.
2. Essential Oxygen Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide
Some consider hydrogen peroxide as the best over the counter treatment for healthy dogs. You can find a number of hydrogen peroxide for dogs reviews online. The truth is that it’s all about quality.
You may already know that hydrogen peroxide is the oxygen compound typically found in aqueous solutions. This is the same thing you use for cleaning or to treat wounds or even foot infections.
Now, on the other hand, this is a 3% food-grade solution. This means that it is pure, safe, and does not contain any water, sodium chloride, or alcohol. This is handy to use both for administration and for storage. It’s also available in a pack of two, so you can take advantage of the discounted price.
3. McKesson Antiseptic Hydrogen Peroxide 3% Strength 1 Gallon Bottle
- OTC or Rx-strength
- Concentrate for convenient storage
- Compared to competitors, the price is extremely affordable
- Comes with a very convenient flow control spray top
- Dilute solution lasts longer than other brands
- Targeted treatment is safer than bathing
- It can be used on dogs, cats, and other animals
- It’s easy to apply as a spray or wipe
- It’s 100% pure and germicidal
- The safety cap ensures children can’t reach it
- Some people report it being too strong, which would be best for sick animals, giving a mild concentration a try if it’s too strong.
- Could cause skin burns if the solution is too concentrated, use diluted amounts to avoid this.
- The price and availability may vary depending on where you live
- The efficiency may vary among animals
- May stain but may be used without worrying about staining.
With summer here in full swing and in some regions, expected to be the hottest ever, having hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) on hand can make a big difference for your dog.
4. Swan Hydrogen Peroxide Topical 32 Ounces Pack of 2
5. Amazon Brand
- Convenient spray bottle
- Reasonably priced
- Small quantity means you can test it out before buying a larger bottle
When it comes to cleaning the ears of a dog, most pet owners turn to a medicated cleanser.
However, some prefer avoiding the use of harsh or harmful chemicals. An alternative that many people turn to is hydrogen peroxide.
While it’s effective at disinfecting and cleaning, it’s also highly concentrated. This means that you need to make sure you test the solution out on a small area of your dog’s fur, to make sure it doesn’t have a negative reaction.
6. Essential Oxygen 3% Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 8 OZ
- You can use a toothbrush to brush your dog’s teeth
- Contains no chemicals that could be harmful to your pet
- Gentle on gums; it won’t cause any bleeding
- Can be used to sterilize baby formula
- An antiseptic that your pet can use to heal wounds and sores
- Prevents constipation and helps with digestion
- A penetrating agent, so it’ll speed up the healing process
- White teeth and improve gums
- May not be effective in toothpaste that’s already infected
- It could turn the dog’s tongue white. However, this is because it is active oxygen and isn’t harmful
- It will sting in mouth
- If you accidentally swallow it, you can feel nauseous
7. Safetec Hydrogen Peroxide Spray 2 ounce
This economical pack of four will give you a month’s supply for one dog. The bottle comes with the spray top, and you only need to spray on your dog’s coat.
The manufacturer recommends that you apply it directly to a pet’s hair. Avoid skin contact since it’s likely to burn. However, it only takes a small amount to make an impact, so don’t over apply.
You should apply it after your dog has had a bath and their coat is completely dry. It’s best to spray on your shampooed dog because then you will not have leftover residue from the shampoo.
8. 3% H2o2 Hydrogen Peroxide Food Grade Certified
- Food grade and certified by the EPA …
- 3 different sizes to choose from …
- Doesn’t expire
- Works fast …
- Easy to apply in multiple ways
- Great for any type of dog …
- Helps with allergies, fleas, acne, hot spots, wound healing, and other bacterial & fungal infections
- Has a pungent smell that may seem unpleasant
- Can be hard on the kidneys if used too frequently
- Might take hours to cure some ailments
One of the more popular ways of using hydrogen peroxide is through a nebulizer or humidifier. Titrating to the same concentration as a 3% hydrogen peroxide home remedy, this is perfect for large breed dogs with a thick coat when it comes to ticks and fleas.
Users have also found that 3% grade H2O2 used with a vaporizer can be very effective in the healing process from surgical wounds. Shaving and applying the vapor to the infected area will speed up the healing process.
9. Hydrox Hydrogen Peroxide 3%
- The bottle comes with a safety seal that prevents the contents from being tampered
- Affordable and readily available in supermarkets like Walmart and Target
- The 3% solution is appropriate for household cleaning and disinfection
- Can be used on most surfaces, except marble and copper
- It’s also safe to use on glass and mirrors
- Environmentally friendly
We have gone through hundreds of reviews and this solution has consistently scored the highest marks for its effectiveness.
The Hydrox peroxide 32oz (pack of 2) is just about as effective per dollar as any other product.
It’s nothing revolutionary when it comes to first aid for dogs – Hydrox has been around for long enough for us to know the FDA deems it safe.
10. Hydrogen Peroxide Food Grade 12% ~ 32oz All-Surface Multi-Purpose ~ Diet Health Solutions
- Hydrogen peroxide has antiseptic properties
- Does a good job killing bacteria and fungus
- Easy to use since it’s a liquid
- It’s economical – cheaper than many alternatives
- Comes from health food grade peroxide
- In the U.S., it’s approved and regulated by the FDA
- You won’t have to worry about your pet licking it off directly
- Features a red safety cap
- Not easy to find at pet stores
- You’ll need to purchase on Amazon
- It’s best to dilute it with water
One of the best uses for peroxide is to clean cuts and wounds on your dog‘s paws, nose, ears, and on the rest of his body. You can also clean his teeth to remove tartar.
To treat cuts, apply a thin layer of peroxide over the wound. The peroxide will kill any bacteria on the skin and in the wound. Then put on some sterile gauze and cover it with a bandage. Repeat 2 to 3 times a day.
11. Clorox® Hydrogen Peroxide Disinfecting Cleaner Spray
- Does what it’s supposed to very well – disinfects, kills, and sanitizes
- Affordable and readily available
- Kills bacteria, germs, and protozoa
- Kills viruses, like the flu, the norovirus, etc.
- Antiseptic and shampoo combo
- Has a pleasant scent
- The label doesn’t reflect the safety precautions
- Not effective against mold
- Contains artificial fragrance
- Can cause chemical burns and damage some clothing
- Highly concentrated, do not ingest, do not use undiluted
Kills the Flu Virus in 15 sec.!
This review will serve to educate pet owners and help them understand how to use peroxide in conjunction with dermorphin to truly rid themselves of staph infection in dogs.
12. New Natural Tear Eye Stain Remover
- Suitable for cats and dogs of all ages
- Made in the USA
- Comes in an 8oz bottle
13. Clorox Healthcare Hydrogen Peroxide Cleaner Disinfectant Wipes
Hyvo hydrogen peroxide solution is the best cat product you can find. If you want to clean your feline friend’s litter box, this product will help you with that. It also can be one of the best solutions to clean their paws.
The peroxide will help you to get rid of your cat’s crust. If you have your own cat, you know that it’s their habit to come back from outside with some kind of crust on their paws. It’s really hard to clean it off and it takes hours to do that.
Hyvo hydrogen peroxide solution disinfects, deodorizes, and bleaches away the filth, making the cleaning process easier.
14. Sergeant's Petrodex Enzymatic Toothpaste
- Made from natural ingredients; packed with enzymes and prebiotics
- Great for dogs with plaque, gingivitis, or tarter buildup
- Gentle enough to use as a daily toothpaste
- Free from harmful additives
- Does not contain fluoride
- Doesn’t foam
- Causes oral irritation when used as a mouthwash
- You’ll need to brush your dog’s teeth separately
One of the best ways to make sure your dog’s coat stays smooth and shiny is to clean their teeth regularly.
As an added bonus, when you brush your dog’s teeth on a regular basis, you can cut down on those pesky dog breath odors.
The problem is, it’s not easy to get your dog to sit still while you brush their teeth. This is where dog dental chews come in.
15. Organic Hydrogen Peroxide
Every living organism is exposed to oxidative stress due to the production of free radicals to defend against environmental stressors, including antibiotics. Animal studies have shown that hydrogen peroxide is radioprotective because of its free radical scavenging capabilities. For various reasons, such as unknown protective mechanisms or genetic variability, some animals or animal types may be more protected against oxidative stress than others.
Researchers at the University of Tsukuba found that hydrogen peroxide is produced from erythrocytes (red blood cells) in dogs, and peroxiredoxin-2 (PRX.2) is the enzyme that produces the hydrogen peroxide by converting superoxide anion radical into hydrogen peroxide (H2O2) that scavenges hydroxyl radical and oxidative stress. Hydrogen peroxide can also scavenge nitric oxide from the plasma that causes vasoconstriction and cause hemorrhagic ailments.
Researchers in the Department of Presentation Sciences at the University of Tsukuba in Japan, discovered that hydrogen peroxide has a protective role in erythrocytes (hemolysis: broken red blood cells) to scavenge hydroxyl radical and prolong the lifespan of red blood cells in dogs.
16. Blubonic Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 12%
- Has an adjustable spray nozzle
- Not prone to dripping
- 75% isopropyl
- FDA approved for spraying on wound areas
- The price; it’s quite expensive
- Not the best option for pets with sensitive skin
- Usage instructions could be better
- The spray nozzle doesn’t come with any directions
We highly recommend the Blubonic Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 12% (Derived from 35%) Stabilizer Free, Pure Oxygen and Water H2O2 (Gallon) for spraying in pet areas.
Also, while you can use it topically on your own animals, be careful to apply it in the recommended fashion, etc. Only use it externally and never by mouth.
17. Mountain Falls 3% Hydrogen Peroxide Topical Solution First Aid Antiseptic
- Use for topical treatment of minor cuts, abrasions, burns, and sunburn, or as a first aid mouth gargle
- Effective in the presence of organic matter, such as dirt, grease, and hair from saving lives of dogs
- Also used for human beings and across many industries
- Three percent hydrogen peroxide can be used in several strengths, depending on how the hydrogen peroxide is applied.
- After applying hydrogen peroxide, it is possible to realize that the skin has still not returned to its normal color.
- This is not an indication that the treatment was ineffective, but simply a matter of natural variation in the rate at which the healing process works.
- Whenever possible, instructions should be followed carefully, in order to achieve the desired result with as little risk as possible.
- In order to make sure you fully understand how to use the H2O2 Antiseptic Dog Spray, here are the instructions that have been printed right on the bottle:
Use hydrogen peroxide to treat minor cuts and scrapes on your dog. Each application should typically last less than five minutes. It is important to repeat this process twice a day in order to get the cleanest wound.
18. Medique Products 25708 Hydrogen Peroxide Bottle
For any odor removal job, whether it’s pet urine or urine soaked furniture, you’ll want to get your hands on some hydrogen peroxide.
For cleaning purposes, hydrogen peroxide (or H2O2) is actually a mix between hydrogen and oxygen in the form of a liquid. It’s an oxidizing agent, which can be used to bleach and oxidize things.
Hydrogen peroxide is often used in solution with water and vinegar, and many people use it for vaginal douching. It can also be used over teeth to reduce plaque.
19. Peroxide Hydrogen 3% Great to use as a antiseptic mouthwash rinse
- It’s very inexpensive and a multipurpose cleaner.
- It’s very effective in killing bacteria.
- Can use in any area of your house.
- It’s universal.
- It doesn’t leave a strong odor nor sting.
- Can use as a mouthwash.
- Can use as ear treatment.
- Good for multiple uses.
- Cleans brushes, fingernails and teeth.
- Can be used for stubborn ear wax.
- You may or may not like the taste of it; if you don’t, just don’t swallow.
- It’s very sensitive to moisture; have to keep in a dry place.
- Dogs may like to drink it.
- It’s not very effective as a cleaner.
- It doesn’t have any strong odor.
20. Innovet Pet Products STAT! Syringe First Aid to Induce Vomiting in Dogs
Keeping the best pet products for your pets is always an important factor to consider. Therefore, we feel that you need to try out the Innovet Pet Products STAT! Syringe to induce vomiting in your pet. The need for your dog or cat to vomit is rare, but it can be extremely helpful to treat certain medical conditions such as poisoning and blockage. However, we feel that this isn’t the only reason why you should consider this product. The company has come up with a great design. The kit itself comes with 15mL and 7mL capacity syringes to help in the calculation of the dosage. The manufacturers have also taken care of your pet’s sensitive olfaction. The product comes with a natural apple scent, which is quite pleasant for owners and pets. To put it simply, this is a great product that’s easy to order and use.
21. PH2369429 – Leader Hydrogen Peroxide 3% Solution
By : Leader 8 oz
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Can too much hydrogen peroxide kill a dog?
Too much hydrogen peroxide may kill a dog. A dog would have to ingest a huge amount for it to do this, however, the risks are still there. Because of this, it is always best to keep it out of reach of your pets.
Will hydrogen peroxide hurt my dog?
Companies claim using hydrogen peroxide in our dogs is “safe and effective” for fleas and ticks. This is a dangerous and misleading marketing practice. Studies show that Hydrogen Peroxide (H2O2) is extremely dangerous when ingested or if it comes in contact with the eyes. This is particularly true for small dogs and cats where a single dose in excess of 5mL/kg bodyweight can have severe consequences. One teaspoon can be fatal to a 20LB dog.
In addition, some companies that sell this product make health claims that it can “boost immune systems,” when, in fact, there is nothing to support this claim. While the label says it is safe to use with ferrets, rabbits, and birds, the pet industry understands the potential harm it can cause to these species.
What happens if you give your dog to much hydrogen peroxide?
You can use hydrogen peroxide to safely clean your dog's teeth, as long as you don't give your dog too much.
Using hydrogen peroxide for dogs is easy. It's a natural and effective method for cleaning your dog's teeth when used regularly.
Prepare a solution of one part hydrogen peroxide to one part water.
Spray the solution onto your dog's teeth with a spray bottle. One squirt will do. Let it foam up.
Gently use a finger to rub the foam around the dog's teeth. This will help to loosen and remove loose dental plaque.
Throw away any sponges or brushes you use to clean your dog's teeth, because they're full of bacteria that will be spread to your dog.
You may try this simple method for several weeks before deciding to try something else.
Can I soak my dogs paws in hydrogen peroxide?
Yes! Hydrogen peroxide has many uses around the house. Like any other substance you should be careful with it, and always follow the manufacturer's directions when using.
One of the main reasons you should use hydrogen peroxide for dogs is that it eliminates bacteria in their ears. Ear infections are one of the main reasons for many dog visits to the vet. Natural remedies, if you use them, can help minimize the number of times you go to the vet.
Many owners claim this method is successful, but this could be a placebo effect since many owners want it to work. The fact that it is all natural, inexpensive, and 100% non-toxic is what will convince dog owners to give this homemade dog ear treatment method a try. Are you considering giving it a try?
|Essential Oxygen Food Grade Hydrogen Peroxide 3%||Best Overall|
|Swan Hydrogen Peroxide Topical 32 Ounces Pack of 2||Budget Pick|
|Organic Hydrogen Peroxide||Upgrade Pick|