Need to get your pupper to sleep? Dosing them with Melatonin for Dogs can help them knock out the lights!
Not only is Melatonin for dogs beneficial, but it is safe and healthy for them if used in the proper dose. Melatonin is a hormone that helps regulate the sleep cycle and can be used to help sleepy dogs stay awake at times.
In our review, we will discuss:
- What is Melatonin?
- Why Use Melatonin For Dogs?
- Melatonin on Amazon
- Where to Buy Melatonin for Dogs
- Safe Melatonin for Dogs Dosage
- How to Administer Melatonin to Your Dog
|NaturVet – Senior Wellness Quiet Moments Calming Aid||Best Overall|| |
|K9 Choice Melatonin 1 mg 180 Capsules||Budget Pick|| |
|Pet Wellbeing||Upgrade Pick|| |
1. NaturVet – Senior Wellness Quiet Moments Calming Aid
- Holds for up to 30 days
- Provides calming relief
- Easy to administer
- Conveniently available in stores and online
- Can reduce loneliness
- Produces a sweet-like flavor
- A vet expressly formulated it
- All-natural ingredients
As the name suggests, NaturVet’s Senior Quiet moments is a calming aid for senior dogs that are dealing with issues such as anxiety, stress, nervousness. Additionally, it also contains melatonin, which can help with irregular sleep patterns.
Adaptil is a popular active ingredient to combat dog anxiety. It’s a synthetic copy of a pheromone that is found in dogs. When the dog becomes anxious, it releases this pheromone. This helps stimulate their sense of well-being. Adaptil, on the other hand, helps the dog cope with their emotional state.
2. K9 Choice Melatonin 5 mg 180 ct Tablets
Note: Always consult your dog’s vet.
3. K9 Choice Melatonin 1 mg 180 Capsules
- Prevents anxiety and sleeplessness
- Excellent price
- It’s easy to administer
Hormones are important molecule that regulate cell function and are extremely essential to the body.
Cells in our body depend on hormones such as dopamine, estrogen, progesterone, cortisol, etc in order to function normally.
As a pet owner you need a reliable source of quality vitamins including melatonin for your best friend.
4. NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Dog Supplement
- For older dogs suffering from anxiety
- Helps promote relaxation, reduce stress, storm anxiety, and motion sickness in dogs
- Provides 3 active ingredients in one convenient solution
- Safe, effective, and easy to administer
- Includes a money-back guarantee
- Easy to use
- Most dogs are calmer in just minutes
- Comes in convenient t-packets
- Might cause loose stool or constipation
- Only recommended for dogs over 25 lbs
We selected the NaturVet Quiet Moments Calming Aid Dog Supplement because of the unique formula that contains active ingredients like L-Theanine and Melatonin, which have been shown to help reduce worrying and stress in dogs.
The supplement includes L-Theanine, Melatonin, and L-Carnitine to help calm dogs with separation anxiety, travel anxiety, social anxiety, storm anxiety or other behavioral anxieties or stressors. The supplement contains 8 t-packsets which can last for up to 2 months when used as directed. It’s a great alternative if your dog can’t swallow a large capsule or tablet.
5. K9 Select Melatonin 3 mg Beef Chewable
- The chewable tablets are easy to bite and swallow
- Natural product, which is safe for dogs
- Made in the USA
- Safe to use with no side effects
- The chewable tablets are tasty and dogs love them
- Good price for the amount of chewables in one bottle
- The packaging is easy to carry
- It’s a melatonin chewable
- None. These are good & healthy chewable tablets that dogs love.
- Your dog will love them, too! Remember it’s very important to maintain the balanced hormone levels in your pet’s system.
When you’re trying to find the best melatonin for dogs, you really have too many options from which too choose. There are so many melatonin brands in the market. But K9 Select Melatonin 3mg Beef Chewable Tablets are liked by many veterinarians and pet owners because it has great quality and doesn’t have a bitter taste. It's child-resistant packaging is made with ChildGuard which is a one piece plastic system and provides tamper resistance for use with children or pets.
6. K9 Choice Melatonin 3 mg 100 Tablets
Melatonin is a drug known for its calming effect; it’s often used in humans to relieve insomnia. Often called the ‘sleep hormone’, melatonin is typically produced by the body on its own to regulate sleep cycle.
As pets age, they develop their own sleep patterns. It’s important to keep these patterns intact so they can adjust to their aging bodies. This supplement will help regulate their sleep cycles while keeping them calm.
K9 Choice is known for producing pet supplement with natural ingredients to help your dog with anxiety, pain management and other common health problems.
7. Pet Wellbeing
Positive Customer Reviews:
- Great price
- Just a small dose at night helps my dogs sleep longer and more soundly.
- I have a senior dog that needed something to help her sleep a little better at night. Melatonin has done the trick.
- When my dog is exposed to loud noises, such as gunfire, fireworks, and thunderstorms, I give him this just before bedtime. I give him half the dose for the first night, and a full dose the second and any subsequent nights. Half a dose is all I need to set up a regular sleep schedule.
- My new puppy and I were having problems getting him to sleep through the night. His breeder gave me some melatonin to try. I gave him 1/3 of a capsule the first night and that did the trick. I've been giving him a heaping half of a capsule for the last 3 nights and he has been sleeping great! It is similar to Benedryl, but without the side effects.
Negative Customer Reviews:
I purchased this product for my 8 year old German shepherd, who has been struggling with anxiety and sleepless nights. I have to say, I didn't get the results I wanted. I was playing around with his dosage for three weeks, giving one to two pills per night. It did help to calm him down a bit, but he still has trouble falling asleep at night.
8. Zesty Paws Calming Bites
- Humane and chemical free solution
- Affordable alternative to prescription anxiety treatment
- Some pet owners reported their doggies improving symptoms within two weeks
- Available in strengths with 5 mg and 10 mg dosage as well as a 30-day supply
9. Dog Calming Aid
- The best for dogs with stress, anxiety, and sleep issues.
- You can administer these supplements via soft-chew or gel.
- It’s one of the safest supplements for pets.
- Each supplement contains 60 mg of melatonin.
- It’s 100% natural and has no artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives.
- It also contains vitamins and minerals that are good for your dog’s health.
- You can purchase this product with confidence because there’s a 100% money back guarantee.
- This supplement can cause side effects in dogs.
- It can be pricey.
- It doesn’t work for every dog.
- You need to be careful when buying this supplement because some aren’t legit.
10. NEXPAW Calming Treats
While a lot of dogs have genes that are naturally sweet, some are more easily drawn to super sweet treats. So to satisfy the sweet tooth of a naughty dog, NEXPAW Calming Treats For Dogs With Melatonin make a good choice. This treat is especially ideal for dogs that have some anxiety, but it can also be helpful if they need to get used to a new place or a new person at home.
When they’re exposed to an unfamiliar place, dogs can be more stressed over small things like new furniture, unfamiliar smells, etc. To help your dog relax, give him these tasty treats.
These chews are 100 percent gluten-free and have no artificial additives. They’re also suitable for dogs with wheat allergies.
11. waggedy Calming Chews
- Delicious and preferred treats
- Relieves stress and anxiety
- Tasty chew for your dog
- Gives them their daily required amount of melatonin
- Made in the U.S.A.
- Great customer service and guarantee
- Provides natural calming our of your dog
- Great for preventing car sickness in dogs
- Smaller treats that are hard for older dogs
- May cause sedation which may be dangerous for dogs prone to seizures
- Capacity of the product doesn’t justify its price
- Not recommended for dogs with certain health conditions (e.g. epilepsy).
We recommend the waggedy Calming Chews for Dogs, Tasty Treats Provide Stress & Anxiety Relief for Dogs During Separation, Travel & Times of Fear – Cat Calming Treats | Dog Treats | Calming Dog Chews For Separation Anxiety | Dog Stress Relief Supplement Supplement | Dog Concentrated Calming Supplement for dogs who suffer from nervousness and anxiety during separation, travel, or times of fear.
12. ThunderWunders Hemp Dog Calming Chews
- No side effects
- Natural chews without any additives
- Convenient, easy to carry around
- Easy to consume – the dogs simply love it!
- Very durable
- Great for sensitive dogs
- Works well with stress
- Helps with fatigue
- Since these chews are made of hemp, they can be given to dogs who have food allergies without any problems.
- The smell of the soft chews may be an issue for some dogs. However, it’s a common issue with food products that contain hemp, not just these chews.
- The cost of the chews is a bit higher than similar products – but we think it’s worth the investment.
There’s no denying that ThunderWunders Hemp Dog Calming Chews are one of the most popular products on the market. And why not? Hemp is not only filled with essential fatty acids, amino acids, and vitamins but also helps to reduce anxiety in dogs.
Anxiety, especially in the case of newly adopted dogs, can truly be a nightmare. This product is definitely a lifesaver for most owners.
13. K9 Choice Melatonin
- Aids sleep, stress, pain, and reduces anxiety
- Improves skin and coat condition
- View customer reviews
- Helps aid dogs with digestion
- Simple satchels dogs can easily consume
- 3mg chewables dogs can easily swallow
- 120 chewables to last a whole month
- Doesn’t contain caffeine
- Doesn’t contain any preservatives
- Can cause anxiety in dogs in high doses
- Can cause drooling
- Can cause lethargy
- Check the ingredients label; don’t buy anything containing menthol or synthetic ingredients.
| Supports Sleep, Stress, Fear, Anxiety, Pain, Skin, Coat & Digestion | Best Dog Supplements & Pet Vitamins for Dogs.
According to reviews, the K9 Choice melatonin for dogs is an excellent product and works as expected. Plus, the seller is very responsive to customer concerns and questions regarding the product.
The manufacturer, Amazing Pet Products, offers a 100% satisfaction guarantee or your money back on return. This Melatonin is also endorsed by professionals on veterinarians, vet techs, holistic veterinarians, pet owners and trainers.
14. HEALTHY PETS MelaVet Melatonin Soft Chews
Our top pick is the HEALTHY PETS MelaVet Melatonin Soft Chews, taking into consideration several factors like the dosage size, ingredients, and price.
It’s important to note that not all melatonin is made equally. MelaVet soft chews have a high strength concentration of melatonin embedded in a chicken liver flavored soft chew.
The idea behind these chews is to give your dog exactly what he needs at the right time. Even your veterinarian might not be aware of how important melatonin is for your dog.
15. NaturVet – Quiet Moments Calming Aid
- 1000 reviews with 4 stars
- 6 years old and counting
- Doctor formulated
- Made in the USA
Melatonin is a hormone that regulates your dog’s sleep cycle. Being a hormone, that means it signals to your pup’s brain when it’s time to sleep, or when ‘daytime’ starts.
And if a day lasts for 24 hours, meaning a dog’s melatonin cycles are very important to keep your dog healthy. Now you might think that since dogs sleep most of the time, this isn’t very important.
However, dogs don’t just sleep, they get a lot of exercise, eat, chew, play, and a lot of other important stuff during the day. So, as you can guess, this means that dogs need a very good sleep cycle. And since dogs don’t exactly have a sleep schedule (or rather, they can sleep whenever they want to), this means that their sleep cycle is very important.
16. Solid Gold Dog Supplement Calming Aid; Grain Free Chews
(30 Day Supply)
The Solid Gold® Dog Supplement Calming Aid is specially formulated to help dogs relax and re-set in case of stress, excitement, or new situations. It’s all natural formula works quickly, and is made with high quality and tested ingredients.
The treatment gives your pet relief from: Restlessness, hyperactivity, excessive jumping, whining, and excessive barking. The Solid Gold® Dog Supplement Calming Aid is formulated with Chamomile, Valerian, Rehmannia Root, and 25mg of Melatonin.
17. Elite Dog Calm
- Most positive reviews
- Easy to digest and gives immediate results
- All non-addictive, 100% natural dog calming supplement
- Comes with a money back guarantee
- Manufactured in a FDA approved facility in the US
- Bestseller on Amazon
- Also for cats.
What we like about this melatonin for dogs product is that it has the most positive reviews on Amazon.
Many people said that this product is better than the others they used and it has helped their dogs sleep better. It smells good and as the site says, it can even help with fleas on dogs. As for the capsules, they are easy to break in half if you have a small dog.
Elite Dog Calm has been proven to be a safe, non addictive and a natural remedy to help with sleeping problems in dogs. The manufacturer recommends applications for up to 12 consecutive months. If your dog needs more, it is advised to ask your vet. The capsules are not available in stores but you can order them online.
18. Natural Dog Calming Formula Supplement Soothes Canine Anxiety
- A well-formulated product
- Ingredients are safe and natural
- Available in two sizes
- Provides healthy and safe canine calming
- Made in USA and is FDA approved
- A concentration of 10mg per chew, so you don’t have to use a lot
- There are 120 tablet per bottle, so the price will go a long way
- Does not prevent all forms of canine anxiety
- You may find that it takes some time to start seeing results
- May not work well with nuisances, such as separation anxiety
- May not work well with special needs dogs like puppies and senior dogs
Our top pick is the natural dog Calming formula supplement, made by a company called Dasuquin.
Dasuquin compares this product to its best selling Dasuquin with MSM, which is a human joint ingredients to keep your dog’s joints healthy in their skeletal system.
They make several claims as to why their product performs well, as well as why it is safe. With 120 capsule, it’s no wonder that the bottle will last a long time.
19. Calming Treats
- Available as 60, 120, and 200-ingredient chew treats
- Manufactured by a reputable brand
- Contains melatonin, which helps dogs relax
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
- Does not contain sugar or preservatives
- Can be used in dogs that suffer from joint pain
- Safe for daily use
- Beneficial for dogs suffering from anxiety, and stress
- The treats work wonders for dogs that suffer from separation anxiety
- The treats can also be used for calming dogs before grooming
- Some users find a slight disagreeable odor coming from the treats, but not significant enough to stop using them
- Can cause drowsiness, which can be a problem for some owners
- Some dogs have adverse reactions to the ingredients causing loose stools
- The treats are not FDA-approved, as they are not a drug
- Not recommended for dogs who have breathing or respiratory problems
20. Particular Paws Dog Calming Aid
If you’re looking for the best melatonin supplement for your dog, then Particular Paws Dog Calming Aid is the one for you.
It’s one of the few products on the market that work in the safest, most natural way possible.
The tablet melts in your dog’s mouth, and rather than the capsule getting digested the melatonin enters the bloodstream quickly.
21. Betty's Calming Treats + Melatonin. Helps Reduce Anxiety
The above review is for the Betty’s Calming Treat for Dogs. Betty’s is a company that’s been making dog treats for over 13 years and make their treats in the USA. They have several different sizes ranging from 55g up to a full one kilo.
The melatonin is sourced from watermelon extract, which is a natural source of melatonin and a much better alternative to synthetic melatonin. In addition to natural melatonin, Betty’s Calming Treats also uses natural herbs to help calm your dog down including Passion Flower (for nervousness) and Rhodiola Rosea (for stress and energy).
This is one of the best treats for anxiety for dogs, and it should cool your dog down considerably within 5-10 minutes after eating it. This should help reduce their anxiety and give your dog an immediate calming effect.
22. Calming Treats
- Flavorful treats that dogs love.
- Each bag contains 90 chews.
- Gluten free, vegan, no added sugar.
- Easy to administer, no water is needed.
- Unique ingredient, hemp oil, offers a number of benefits.
- The chew does not get stuck in the dog’s throat.
- The use of melatonin and l-theanine helps with dog tension.
- The chew is soft enough that some dogs can crunch it up into smaller pieces.
- Some users complained that the package is difficult to open.
- The price is higher than similar products on the market.
The Calming Treats for dogs offer a number of benefits. Every chew contains melatonin and l-theanine, which help with increasing dog tension. The chew is also soft, making it easy to digest.
The treats use hemp oil as their primary ingredient. Hemp oil contains a number of essential nutrients. It also contains linoleic acid, which boosts the immune system.
23. Melatonin for Dogs
- The recommended dose is 0.5-1 mg per pound. The product comes with 100 chewable tablets – this means you’ll had enough for your dog for over five weeks!
- Comes with a money-back guarantee
Some customers complain that the tablets stick together. This can be avoided by storing the tablet flat … and not in a magazine or between a large stack of papers.
24. Calm Down Calming Aid Tablets
60 Count (VM00A).
Amazon customer “Deeper” perfectly described the benefits of this product – “Calm your dog down over time without the risk of harming your pet.” He continued to list what this product offers, “It has been 2 weeks and our dog has become more comfortable and he will walk on the stairs now and he just seems happier. I highly recommend giving this a try!”
Reviewers say that their pets are calmer, more relaxed, and more lovable since taking Calm Down.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the most effective brand of melatonin?
@@ Melatonin is considered as the only available drug to control tinnitus and the anxiety after surgery. In addition, it is also widely used to treat insomnia.
Melatonin is a hormone released by the pineal gland measures the light entering the brain. It is also an important indicator of the sleep-wake cycle.
Melatonin is in the market in several forms like tablets, capsules and liquid. The liquid form is mostly used in animals as the tablets or capsules are too large for the animal to digest.
Some people only take it during the day to control anxiety, depression, seasonal affective disorder, etc. while others take it before bedtime to help them sleep.
Melatonin is also taken during the night in dogs to treat pets that have different types of issues like insomnia, discomfort, epilepsy, tinnitus, and joint pain. However, the correct dosage should be followed to treat your dog properly.
How much melatonin should I give my dog?
The recommended dose your pet should take depends on the animal’s weight. In addition, it is vital to give it to your pet orally and not by injection.
Nonetheless, in the majority of cases, you should be giving one milligram of melatonin for every pound of weight for the canine. This amount is the recommended amount, meaning it is ideal but, it can be perfectly adjusted according to your dog’s reaction and body weight.
You can administer melatonin to your pet orally, but if you cannot do it, then you can do it by injection under your veterinarian’s supervision. Injections, though, are not the norm, and they should only be used for very specific cases.
This substance will give your pet the ability to sleep calmly. In addition, it will also have the ability to decrease the number of times you pet wakes up during the night.
What is the best calming supplement for dogs?
Melatonin is a hormone found in many living things, although it is most often associated with humans. It is more commonly found in animals. In humans, it is a hormone that can release sleep chemicals. For dogs, it can reduce anxiety and provide a calming effect.
When you have a small or large dog that has issues with separation anxiety, anxiety, or any other various issues, a calming supplement for dog should be the first thing to ask for!
Is melatonin safe for dogs with anxiety?
Melatonin is a hormone noted for regulating sleep and play, but also released during times of stress. Therefore, we must say that melatonin is not generally been proven to be safe for dogs with anxiety.
Dogs who suffer from anxiety can be a bit picky about how they take their medications or how they are dosed. If they are new to melatonin, it is important to try lowering the dose or splitting the dose into two smaller doses throughout the day.
In addition, melatonin can be used occasionally. For example, some dogs suffer from general nervousness before fireworks or are afraid to go into a crate. If your dog is preconditioned to take melatonin, it can be used as needed.
Melatonin is for the most part still being studied in dogs, and we know that levels in dogs vary widely due to breed, age, and gender.
You might not think of pets when you think of melatonin, but this unique hormone can be very useful for treating various health issues in your pet dogs. Good quality melatonin will help you get your dogs to sleep at the right time, increase the quality of deep sleep, elevate the sleep drive and regulate the circadian rhythm in dogs. It also has some incredible therapeutic benefits.
Melatonin can regulate free radicals in dogs and help fight against degenerative conditions such as cancer which is quite common in dogs. It has an anti-aging effect and will keep dogs free from stress and inflammation. It will also boost immune system function.
|NaturVet – Senior Wellness Quiet Moments Calming Aid||Best Overall|| |
|K9 Choice Melatonin 1 mg 180 Capsules||Budget Pick|| |
|Pet Wellbeing||Upgrade Pick|| |