Have you ever wondered why the top-rated dog food brands are made with only one ingredient — like lamb, beef, fish or chicken? Have you wondered why they mix their one ingredient with other random ingredients like vegetables, grains, fruits, and peas — ingredients that dogs weren’t meant to eat?
Of course, some of the ingredients are fermented. However, the packaging never looks anything like yogurt containers. In fact, it’s not uncommon for dog food brands to use dried ingredients, vegetable and grain byproducts, and many other cheap fillers.
Why do dog food companies do this with something that’s supposed to be healthy and safe for dogs?
Because the way they do it is cheaper and more profitable for them. And, sadly, most dogs live in a state of poor health, even though they eat anything you give them.
What if I told you that not all of that is true? What if I told you that dogs could live better, healthier lives, too. What if I told you that it’s really easy to find a raw dog food diet that’s made from 100% human-grade, completely natural ingredients?
1. Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Dog Food,Snacks Super Meal Mixers 18-Ounce Bag
- Convenient and ready to eat
- Baked, not fried
- May be difficult to transition your dog away from their current food
- May get stuck in your dogs throat
2. Better in The Raw
(Easy to Make at Home)- 5 lb , 14 lb , and 33 lb , USA Made, Meat and Organic Whole Grains & Vegetables
The most versatile choice for your dog is always better in the RAW. Starting with fresh whole ingredients, preparing a dog food at home is fun and easy. Depending on your dog’s size, activity level, condition, and even breed, you can adjust the portions of each ingredient to achieve the correct balance.
In the end, you’ll have a food that’s specifically formulated for their unique dietary requirements and tastes a treat. With Better in the Raw’s homemade dog food guide you’ll never have to worry about feeding the wrong type of diet again.
3. Open Farm Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food
- Grain-free and gluten-free
- The ingredients are all natural and all-natural
- Contains no artificial or chemical ingredients
- Small kibble for dogs with sensitive teeth and loose stools
- Easy to store and transport
- Doesn’t require refrigeration
- Ideal for puppies who are teething
- Easy to bite with the small kibble
- Small kibble also makes it a great alternative for dental health
- The small kibble is good for senior dogs as well
4. Instinct Freeze Dried Raw Boost Mixers Grain Free Recipe All Natural Dog Food Toppers
Dogs are omnivores, just like humans. They need meat in their diet. That said, dogs have a significantly weaker digestive system as compared with humans. Which is why they tend to have food from the same (group of) species. Canine nutritionist want to see a raw diet because they function better from such a diet.
Some dogs will not have specific organs that others have. And that makes these organs not suitable for them. For example, the heart of the rabbit has high levels of Digoxin. This would be dangerous for other animals. And so they need to be removed. Using the 20 years of experience of the company, the manufacturer has developed products that eliminate the need for such heart-rending measures.
By using the recipes of the company, you can offer a wide variety of meats to your dog – without worrying about the possibility of getting an upset stomach. Some people may, of course, opt to do it yourself. But you should be aware that raw meat is not an easy thing to prepare and in the right way. And the task is not for inexperienced people. Therefore, we recommend that you start with the main feed rather, it is much easier. But once the dog is used to one of the recipes of the company, you can try a homemade one.
5. Northwest Naturals Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food Nuggets
6. ORIJEN Puppy High-Protein
We usually wouldn’t mention raw dog food in reviews, but this is an exceptional product.
The first thing worth mentioning is that it’s meeting the high standards set by the Association of American Feed Control Officials (AAFCO).
The real strength of this product is its protein levels. With over 80% of the total content being protein, this is some of the best you’ll find in a commercial pet food.
7. Primal Freeze Dried Dog Food Chicken Formula
- Not gritty
- Good for pups with allergies
- Made in the USA and contains NO corn, soy or wheat
- It has a perfect selection of lean proteins, probiotics and prebiotics
- It contains a healthy pre and probiotics
- Good for dogs with allergies
- It’s a complete and balanced formula
- It’s 100% grain free
- It’s complete & balanced: Just add water
- No fillers
- It’s on the pricey side
- It’s very small
- It’s very pricey
- On the small side
- It’s small
This dog food is simply delicious and made with the finest ingredients and without preservatives or anything else that’s harmful either for humans or pets. This canine formula is made especially for dogs with food allergies.
8. Stella & Chewys Freeze Dried Chicken Meal Mixer 3.5 Ounce
- Tasty chicken formula
- The perfect meal mixer
- A great replacement for table scraps
- Easy to take with you on-the-go
- You can feed your dog directly from the package since it’s resealable
- No artificial ingredients ¼The humane way to feed your dog
- Choice of rich beef (3.5 oz) or chicken (2.75 oz)
- Expensive for the amount of food
- Only comes in one size
- Better for small or medium-sized dogs
- According to some of the reviews, the chicken flavor may not be as prevalent as the beef
If you’re looking to treat your dog to something delicious but healthy, then you’ll enjoy these freeze-dried chicken meal mixer by Stella & Chewy’s.
They’re made with only wholesome ingredients, which is great if you want more control over the quality of their food.
9. Dapper Dog Cuisine Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Dog Food
If you’re looking for a raw dog food that uses high-quality, all-natural ingredients that are a close representation of their natural form, Dapper Dog Cuisine is your pick. It’s a complete raw, freeze-dried food that contains fruits, vegetables, vitamins, and amino acids to promote general health.
This dehydrated dog food selection is available in 16 oz. containers that can be stored for up to two years. When preparing, you add warm water, and in about 12 minutes, you’ll have a meal. You can feed your dog the recommended daily amount according to their age, size, and activity level or you can make it last by storing the food in the freezer.
Of course, that’s not it. This product features great customer service, prompt replacements for missing or damaged items, and timely delivery.
10. Dr. Harvey's Raw Vibrance Dog Food
- Goes through a low temperature, human grade process that keeps the nutrition values intact
- Does not contain antibiotics
- Is composed of freeze dried meat and vegetables, making it easier for your pet to digest
- Includes superfoods
- Includes probiotics and prebiotic fibers
- Is certified USDA organic
- It is gluten, grain, dairy, and soy free
- Has certification of animal welfare
- It is certified Halal
- It contains probiotics from 7 different sources
- Contains animal products.
3.5oz Pouch, Case of 12
11. Wellness CORE Rawrev Natural Dry Dog Food Original Turkey & Chicken
- The super premium grain-free recipe
- Complete and balanced formula
- Contains superior quality protein, complex carbohydrates, healthy fats, and soluble fiber
- Made from locally sourced butcher shop meat without hormones, antibiotics, or artificial additives
- Freeze dried raw for the freshest and most potent canine nutrition
- Prebiotic fiber helps maintain a healthy digestive system
- Made in the USA
Formula (55 lb.)
Our top pick is the wellness core, made from 93% real, raw turkey and chicken.
It’s a complete and balanced formula that will allow your dog to enjoy the kind of lifestyle he wants – so long as he has this food in his bowl!
12. Stella & Chewy's Freeze Dried Raw Dinner Patties Dog Food 2 Pack
- NO Chicken, NO Chicken meal, NO Turkey, NO Lamb, NO Fish, NO Eggs, NO Wheat, NO Corn, NO Rice, NO Soy
- Only 4 Ingredients in the raw dinner patty recipe: Beef, Potatoes, Carrots, and Tomato Powder
- Freeze dried raw
- 4 oz per scoop
- 30% protein
- 5% fat
- 100% grain free
- Made in the USA
- Helps to improve skin and coat health
- Can be used as treats or in combination with dry food
- For puppies under 1 year old, talk to the vet for the right amount.
13. Stella & Chewy's Freeze-Dried Raw
- Contains probiotics and enzymes
- No artificial preservatives, grains, fillers, or any other crap
- Made from all natural ingredients
- Never contains any beef, soy, poultry, fish or eggs
- Made in the USA (in small batches)
- For dogs of all life stages; puppies, adults, seniors, and pregnant mothers
- Guaranteed to be free of B.S. and toxins
- A dehydrated raw food that can sit in the pantry until you’re ready to use.
- A great diet for dogs with allergies. Works great for dogs with sensitive stomachs, food sensitivities, allergies, and other health problems.
- The ingredients are good quality and pleasing to the eye.
14. Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free Recipe Natural Dry Dog Food
- Good for dogs with food sensitivities
- Grain-free; rich in Omega-3
- Boosts natural immune system and improves digestion
- No MSG added
- High in probiotics, pre-biotics, and fiber
- Contains chicken by-product meal and natural flavorings
- Doesn’t come in a resealable bag
When it comes to making a product that’s good for dogs, it’s hard to find a better product than Instinct Raw Boost Grain Free recipe.
Firstly, it’s grain-free which is very convenient for dogs with allergies. The manufacturer states that it’s high in both Omega-3 and Omega-6 which are good for their skin, fur, and eyes. It’s also rich in anti-oxidants and essential vitamins and minerals. Dogs absolutely love the taste too!
The best part is that it’s derived from 95% meat, organs, fish, and bones with little additives. It’s also low in calories and sugars; making it great for diabetic dogs.
15. Stella & Chewy's Dried Meal Mixer Super Blends
- All-natural ingredients
- Unusual and exotic flavors
- Contains no byproducts, fillers or grains
- Excellent for dogs with sensitive stomachs
- Blended not extruded
- Vaccine, steroid, and antibiotic free
- Alternative to raw food
- No gluten
- No added hormones
16. Fresh Is Best Freeze Dried Raw Duck Treats
3 oz (85 g).
You may be familiar with Fresh is Best Freeze Dried Raw. Fresh is Best is a brand that specializes in freeze-dried raw meat dog meat treats. They use only locally sourced and 100% safe, human-grade ingredients. This is to ensure the freshest, finest raw meat products for your dog. Also, this means no mass production and no middlemen involved. They want you and your dog to directly benefit from their raw meat treats for dogs.
These treats have high-quality ingredients and are considered to be ultra-premium. This is because of their highly digestible raw food recipe, which contains a minimum of 78% organic ingredients. With that in mind, these are a great tasting treat for your dog.
17. Stella Chewy 3.5# Raw Coated Duck Kibble
This dry kibble does not contain poultry, so it can be eaten by anyone, regardless of allergies.
The duck meat in this food is free of poultry, corn, soy, wheat, and gluten. This makes it a good option for dogs with allergies.
This is a grain-free kibble, so you do not have to worry about your dog getting too many carbohydrates in his diet.
18. Sojos 100% Raw Freeze-Dried Meat Treats
This beef, lamb and turkey treat assortment from Sojos is a great choice for anyone who wants to treat their dogs to something high quality and a little more substantial than regular treats.
This treat assortment includes a variety of 3 of Sojos' most popular products.
The meats are sourced from grass-fed animals and treated with an all-natural process to ensure they're fresh and healthy and are not exposed to any chemicals, fillers, or preservatives.
19. Stewart Raw Naturals Freeze Dried Dog Food Grain Free Made in USA
20. Sojos Complete Natural Freeze-Dried Natural Raw & Dehydrated Grain-Free Dog Food
21. Steve's Real Food Freeze-Dried Raw Nuggets 1.25#
- Perfect for dogs with allergies to chicken and chicken byproducts
- Lab-tested for quality
- Ingredients are all human-grade
- Freeze Drying process ensures that vitamins, minerals, and enzymes are not destroyed
- Bought directly from manufacturer
- Company has great customer service
- Only 5 Calories
- Freeze Drying process preserves the food's flavor, texture, and scent
- 100% Grass-fed beef
- Raised in the U.S.
22. "I and love and you" Stir & Boom Dehydrated Freeze Dried Raw Dog Food Topper
If you’re looking for a dehydrated raw dog food topper, then the I and Love and You Dog Food Toppers are a great option. This freeze dried mix is perfect to mix into your dog’s raw diet. You can also use it as part of a complete dry, balanced diet for your pup.
The ingredients in this dog food topper are: Deboned Chicken, Turkey and Rabbit Meat, Alaskan Pollock, Boneless Sardines, Alaskan Salmon, Shrimp and Crab.
All of these ingredients are organic, grass-fed and gut-loaded. They’re all non-GMO as well.
23. Vital Essentials Freeze-Dried Mini Nibs Grain Free Limited Ingredient Dog Entree
- Available in 2 pounds, 1 pound, 12 ounces, and 5 pounds
- Made using organically grown ingredients
- Our choice for the best frozen dog food
- Contains only 3 ingredients: sweet potatoes, parsnips, and carrots
- Contains all of the essential nutrients that our dog needs
- High in antioxidants
- Heart and kidney meal
- No additives or preservatives
- No carbs, no soy, no gluten, no sugar, no fillers, no by-products
- Tastes good and the dogs seem to love it
- This product is only sold in packs of four
- The product requires refrigeration
(Pack of 4)
24. Natural Ultramix Grain Free Red Meat Recipe
- Available in 3 different sizes
- Relatively affordable
- All ingredients are certified grass fed and pasture raised without the use of antibiotics or hormones
- They don’t use grain in their recipes
- Free range, vegetarian fed meat
- Only use organic fruits and vegetables
- High-quality ingredients
- Lots of positive reviews and ratings
- Dedicated to producing healthy, wholesome, natural dog food
- A variety of recipes
- May end up being costly over the long run
- You’ll need to order it directly from their site
- Need to refrigerate it once you open it
- Some customers found them to be smaller than expected
As dog owners it’s our responsibility to find the best food for our pups. The market is now overflowing with a variety of options and it’s not easy to decide upon one.
25. TruDog: Feed Me: Freeze Dried Raw Superfood
- Ideal for any size of dog – whether he’s a small canine, large breed, or a senior
- Made in the USA
- Packaging makes this food easy to use whether you’re at home or away
- A low cost per serving
- The freeze-dried process is what gives it its long shelf life and boosts the flavor
- Comes from a reputable company with more than a decade of experience
- A full nutritional profile that includes vitamins, minerals, omega-3s, and fatty acids
- A wide variety of proteins
- Beneficial enzymes that help promote a healthy digestive system
- Doesn’t contain any grains or carbohydrates
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best raw dog food on the market?
It comes down to a few factors but we'll get into that later. The one that consistently comes up on top for 2019 is Stella & Chewy's. It is one of the highest quality dog food choices and the top rated in our research and recommendations. There are other leaders in the industry but this one is the leader in the high-end category.
What are the top 5 healthiest dog foods?
There are places that like to play favorites here – start off with an ingredient like beef, and throw “with grain” afterward in parenthesis.
Here are five best dog food brands that do the best with declaring the meat first and foremost. Be aware that grains are a necessary ingredient in any dog food, but read the labels if you’re highly allergic to wheat.
What is the best raw dog food in Canada?
If you are new to raw dog food, my suggestion to you would be to find a good pet store near you that carries a variety of brands of this type of food and then go from there. I personally have never used amazon to purchase raw dog food but I am sure there are some great brands out there. It is best to find a good product that you feel comfortable feeding your dog. I personally do not recommend one particular brand over another just because of the nature of the pricing. It is completely personal preference as to what you feel is the best dog food for your dog!
Is Dr Marty's dog food any good?
I would love for Dr Marty's to be a good dog food brand. You know, one of those that people say tastes good and the dogs love, and then they get sick and no longer sell it to the public.
Now, if that happens, I’ll update this article and tell you all about it. Until then, though, I just can’t say. I can say that he has a massive following and a huge, cult-like following, but there are a lot of sources that say he is straight up a fraud and lying to people massively. So, I guess you need to do your research, which you should be doing anyway.
If you care for your dog like we do, you’re likely looking for the best dog food available in the market. You need to ensure that your dog not only has a healthy diet but also a diet that will help them live as long as possible. That’s why you’re looking for the best raw dog food.
While there is somewhat of a debate about whether dogs can thrive on a raw diet, there are many positive things that can come from it. That’s why, in this article, we’ll be talking about the pros, cons, and what you need to know before making the switch.