Finding the best turtle filter can be a daunting task, or in some cases, not finding one at all. If you dig a little deeper and follow this turtle tank filter buying guide, you’re bound to find the perfect one that is right for your turtle tank.
This few type of turtle tank filter can be quite helpful if you want a more stable aquatic environment, reduced maintenance, and easier cleaning. If you’re looking to keep pet turtle healthy, you should definitely consider one of these.
Before we look at available options and the best turtles for turtle tanks, let’s quickly review the basics of turtles and how turtles live in the wild.
|Aquapapa 4X Dual Bio Sponge Filter||Best Overall|
|Aquaneat Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Corner Filter Breeding Shrimp Nano Fish Tank Water||Budget Pick|
|CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus||Upgrade Pick|
1. Aquapapa 4X Dual Bio Sponge Filter
- The bio sponge is gentle on the fish; and can effectively remove ammonia and nitrate
- It gives your tank a high-end look
- It’s low profile, which means the tank won’t take up a lot of space…making it an excellent addition to your home or office
- Made from durable, high-quality materials…so it’s sturdy and reliable
- The installation and maintenance is very easy; even if you’re a newbie
- It’s quiet and has low electrical usage
- Some find its air intake strainer to be a bit small
- The cord is not very long, which can be inconvenient
The Aquapapa 4X is one of the best turtle tank aquarium filters you can find in the market today. It has positive reviews and works well with small turtle aquariums.
The Biosponge filters use biological filtration technology to remove ammonia and nitrate. It also adds to the overall aesthetic of the tank. It’s available in 2 sizes: 20 and 50 gallons.
2. Aquaneat Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Corner Filter Breeding Shrimp Nano Fish Tank Water
- It’s an all-in-one filter that’s safe for shrimp
- It’s very compact and doesn’t take up much space
- Easy to maintain and works great on other aquariums as well
- Works well as a secondary filter, easily attaches to the hood
- Comes with a gift box and are sold in a set of two
- Best suited for tanks with a capacity of less than 20 gallons
- Perfect for breeding red cherry shrimp
- Breeding shrimp are hardy and easy to breed, making this a good beginner tank
- The filter protects the water by preventing the breeding shrimp from entering it
- It’s made of 100% natural bio-polymers and doesn’t use electricity
- The filter can’t handle strong currents
- The water level has to be below the level of the base or the shrimp will enter it
- Gets damaged outside of water
- The filter needs to be fully dried before being used again
3. Aquapapa Corner Filter Air Driven Bio Sponge Ceramic
- Perfect size for small tanks
- Great filtration capability
- Great for fry tanks
- Minimalist yet stylish
- There have been some reports of poor construction on these units
- The sponge material can be a non-starter for some pet owners.
The Aquapapa Corner Filter Air Driven Bio Sponge Ceramic can provide your pet to 2.5 gallons of water filtration. It’s a pretty simple design that is great for smaller tanks. Users love it for being simple, yet reliable.
This Aquapapa Corner Filter Air Driven Bio Sponge Ceramic is a fashionable option for your vivarium. On top of the great aesthetics, this filter can be used for any of your favorite little pets.
Worried about your beloved pet being exposed to filth? This Aquapapa Corner Filter Air Driven Bio Sponge Ceramic will keep those forces at bay.
4. NEWKOSEA Aquarium Air Filter Double Sponge Filter Bio Filter Sponge Betta Breeder Shrimp Fish Fry Tank
- Made from sponge and carbon fiber to effectively filter the water
- Made with top quality cotton and sponge to keep your water crystal clear and healthy
- Activated carbon, resin, textile and sponge are easy to wash and change in case of replacement needed
- Washing and draining of water can be done easily with the specially designed sponge pot
- Stackable feature for easy storage and the sponge pot can hold up to 300ml of water
- Not a lot of space needed for storage
- Exceptional construction means that this filter is made to last
- It’s suitable for Betta fish, fry, shrimp, marine and plant tanks
- Easy to over feed your Bettas with these since they tend to gobble up the food rather than eat it
- Not suitable for tanks that hold more than 300 milliliters of water.
The Bio-Filter Super Sponge of NKK is made up of high quality cotton and sponge. It’s a new and improved filter with a 3 way design.
It is able to filter out dirt, bloodworms, parasites and other harmful debris that could easily harm your fish. The 3 way design is a great added feature which makes the filter very flexible.
5. Aquapapa Pack of 2 Bio Sponge Filter
- A new concept in betta fish tank maintenance, no more expensive sponge filters or replacement filter media needed!
- Recommended Set of his/hers Aquapapa Betta Fish Filter Sponges are two rather than just one. Could be used simultaneously or interchangeably.
- Advanced replacement option for any DIY filter that utilizes filter cartridges, foam, or fiberglass filters. Easier to clean and maintain than your average filter media.
- Great for betta fish, shrimps, tanks up to 55 gallons, versatile and fit for all aquariums. Left and right orientation options; Simply flip over your sponges to switch the flow of water from right to left.
- Helps remove debris, effluents, and floating food, helps keep tank surfaces clean and bacteria free.
- 2 pcs each of blue and pink sponges, blocks up to 10 gallons of water per sponge (recommended to replace once a month, or when gross-looking)
- No assembly required, just drop it into your tank and it’s ready to go.
- 2 year warranty on sponges: Satisfaction guaranteed
(2 blue+2 pink)
6. Aquapapa 4X Bio Sponge Filter
7. AQUANEAT Double Bio Sponge Filter
- Great overall value
- Easy maintenance
- You can customize the pre-filter to suit your preference
- High quality
- Bio media compartment is too delicate
- This is really just a motor and not a filter
The AQUANEAT Double Bio Sponge Filter (DFTB) is a motorized filter that can go in your holding tanks. It can also be used on Betta tanks. We purchased this filter for our Betta tank, and it works great for them.
It comes with the sponge inserts for the filter section. You can also buy an extra insert or two if necessary. If you want to keep this filter running, make sure you're ready to replace the filter sponges every month or more often. In our experience, the filter foam can get soft in just a few weeks depending on the water temperature, and how dirty your tank is.
The motor provi des steady and strong filtration for your fish.
8. Whisper In-Tank Filter
- Stylish “In-Tank” design makes it suitable for any home or office
- Fits most standard tanks
- Can be adapted for smaller tanks – for up to 10 gallons
- Whisper filter is much quieter, ideal for homes and offices.
- Double cleaning process – the BioScrubber deals with the fine particles, while the mechanical grid traps larger debris
- Wire for the mechanical grid is very easy to clean and change
- The filter is easy to setup and maintain
- Certain parts can be replaced, in case they wear out.
- Attractive design – the filter is made of glass, with a stainless steel net to keep the mechanical grid in place.
- Has fish-friendly baffles and a flow control system
9. Penn Plax Aquarium Cascade Canister Filter
The next entry on our list is the Penn Plax Aquarium Cascade Canister Filter. It’s a canister filter that comes with its own base and spray bar. It’s recommended that you keep the filter separate from the tank to avoid over crowding.
Its base, which has a height of 16.5 inches, can be attached to the aquarium floor directly, and it also holds up the filter itself. Its spray bar can be rotated so that you can either have it splash around the tank or you can have it in the opposite direction. The spray bar is also removable in case you want to switch the direction.
This filter comes with an adjustable flow rate. The filter cartridge inside can be replaced with sponges or with limestone.
10. Aquapapa Corner Filter Bio Sponge Ceramic Air Pump Driven
- Corner design
- Comes with BIO sponge
- Suitable for tank up to 40 gallons
- 18W 2-stage air pump
- Highly permeable air stone
- Emits bubbles up to 6.6L/h for effective micro oxygen
- Can be used with air stone, sponge, and decoration
- Reliable and durable
- Easy to maintain
- Quiet operation
- The air hose is too short
- Power plug not included ( user manual says it can be from US or Europe )
When asked for a review of Aquapapa Corner Filter Bio Sponge, the buyer said:
I have to say, I was really impressed with this little filter. It would be a great fit on a 40 gallon long, not too tall and nice and wide. I think it would be a great fit for any tank that is all one height and relatively wide in the front of the tank. The reason I say that is that the filter can get rather heavy and the base that comes with it is not too big. So, this filter would do well in your corner of the tank. I like the way that the filter is designed. With the corner filter, you are permitted to put it on at an angle of a 30-45 degree angle.
11. hygger Aquarium Double Sponge Filter
- Size 10” x 5” x 3”
- Sponge filter for 10 gallon tanks
- Two extra sponge material included
- Bio ceramic balls included
- Comes with 25mL of activated carbon to purify the water
- Quiet for your fish
- No brand
- Not made with BPA free material
- Not made with pet safe material
There are a lot of things that you need to take note when it comes to purchasing a tank filter. You have to look at the materials that are used in making the filter, any sound emitting from the filter, the ability of the filter to draw water in from the tank, the flow of water in and out of the tank, and how efficient the filter is at filtration.
The hygger aquarium sponge filter is made with high definition nano coir pith, more commonly known in the business as just nano pad. This means that it’s durable and can stand up well to chlorine, salt, and other elements.
12. Powkoo Sponge Filter Aquarium Filter Sponge Media Shrimp Betta Breeding Fry Fish Tank Filter
The Powkoo filter is really one of a kind. It has the ability to store up to 8 cups of water. While it’s not the largest in terms of capacity, it’s able to supply enough water for a 2.5-gallon tank.
It uses a mechanical media that is able to catch most small particles of food and debris.
The filter can also be used by beginners. It’s easy to setup, and even easier to maintain. There’s no need to worry about the filter falling apart or having issues with it.
13. Polar Aurora Free Media 265GPH / 370GPH / 525GPH External Aquarium Filter
- Large Filter – The filter can accomodate tanks up to 200 gallon
- Great Odor Control – filter bag can hold a lot of organic waste and control odor
- Easy To Clean – the filter can be cleaned easily
- Powerful – the filter can move a lot of water
- Efficient – the filter moves a high quality of water
- Slight leaks when moving the filter in water
- After a few weeks of usage the filter might gasp for air
The Polar Aurora can be bought in three different sizes: 265gph , 370gph and 525gph. These filters can cover both small and large fish tanks.
The Polar Aurora has a multi stage filtration system which can control different types of organic waste and according to the manufacturer it can help to control unpleasant odors.
The Polar Aurora can moved around easily because it’s lightweight. It comes with an in-line pump which can be moved around with the filter.
14. Odyssea EX 250 DX Internal Filter Powerhead Aquarium Water Pump Submersible
- Easy to setup and use
- The filter is “aesthetic-friendly”
- Cost efficient filter to help maintain your Betta’s aquarium
- You can use this filter for many applications (not just a tank)
- The pump is a bit noisy
- Not very flexible; can only be used in tight spaces
The Odyssea EX series of filters offer a unique 360-degree view; water overflows the top of the filter and gently cascades down the front. It’s suitable for an aquarium of “no more than 5 gallons” and uses an aeration method to keep the water in top shape.
In addition, it also works well to mask the sound of the filter as well.
It comes in a set; including an air pump, a bio fin filter and bacteria to help set up a healthy aquarium.
15. SeaChem Large Aquarium Fish Tank Filter
- Affordable price tag
- High-capacity and can handle larger tanks
- Quiet operation
- Provides superior oxygenation to your tank
- Built-in timer feature
- Has a separate high performance submersible pump
- Comes with filter media and accessory container that has enough room for many other media and filter media
- Easy to clean and remove for maintenance purposes
- Doesn’t produce a large footprint as the filter media is positioned vertically, unlike most aquarium filters that hang horizontally
- Comes with a large sized hump that catches debris, yet remains easy to maintain
- Can be a bit noisy
- Customer support from the manufacturer is lacking
Learning how to maintain an aquarium can be daunting and confusing for beginners. Fortunately, SeaChem has a huge range of products designed and created to simplify the whole process. In addition to this, all of the products are affordable and easy to use. The SeaChem Tidal 55 is a perfect example of their commitment to offer beginner-friendly products.
16. Aqua Clear
- Have a choice of 2 power heads
- 1 year warranty
- Ranked prioritizes efficiency and quality
- Can be a bit noisy
- Crystals have to be replaced very frequently
The Aqua Clear – Fish Tank is hard for us to place in one category. It’s very similar to the AquaClear but a bit different. It has the same 5 play-stage filter but in an updated design. That may be the first thing you’d notice if you were to compare the two.
Similar to the Aqua Clear, this includes an 110-gallon filter with a multi-stage filter and an extra-deep filtration system. If you get this model you’d have two types of filtration you can choose for the tank. You can flip the filter and choose from a sponge filter or a foam filter instead.
This makes it easy to customize the type of filtration you want. The sponge filter hold more solids and bigger particles while the foam filter holds smaller particles.
17. SeaChem – Large Aquarium Fish Tank Filter
- Very effective filter
- Comes with a water pump for 10-gallon aquariums
- The unique filter media helps loosen particles from the water before the pump takes action
- Easy to clean and maintain
- Comes at a reasonably-affordable price
- Filters waste, discoloration, and odors from the tank
- The filter has been certified safe for small fish as well
- Fits in any 10-gallon tank
- Also work as an effective bubbler for external water features
- Comes with a 100% lifetime warranty
18. Penn-Plax Cascade Hang-on Aquarium Filter
- The Cascade filter does its job perfectly
- It doesn’t make too much noise
- The cabinet fits perfectly on most aquariums (It doesn’t fit the 16 in iClear 16-Gallon Aquarium Kit)
- It’s easy to take apart and clean
- The Cascade filter’s parts are affordable and inexpensive to replace
- Suitable for 20 gallon tanks (40 x 12 x 18”) and above
- Won’t come off easily thanks to the suction cups that keep it in place
- All the necessary parts are included in the box
- The quality of the plastic is good
- The filter draws water from the bottom to the top of the filter
- The Cascade filter doesn’t come with a light
- It’s not very strong and so, doesn’t create a lot of water flow
- The filter system uses a lot of space, but if you have the space, this should be no problem for you
19. CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus
- Quiet (76 dB)
- Beautifully crafted for turtles and fish
- Large and sturdy
- Comes complete with a 1-year warranty
- Manufactured in the USA
The CoralVue Technology BH-1000 uses powerful and efficient pump action to create a close to silent aquarium filtration system.
It comes with replaceable membrane and impeller that can be removed for cleaning.
20. Hydor Professional External Canister Filter
- Includes 2 intake tubes for broader control and versatility
- Comes with pre-assembled tubes for easy installation
- Accessories are included, such as a gravel cleaning net
- Very lightweight – only 6 pounds
- Will work well for large tanks as well as small tanks
- Suitable for freshwater and saltwater tanks
- There are 3 input options – lift tubes, sponge, and standard water hose connection
- Comes with everything you need for a fast and clean build
- Usage for canisters is very easy with this pump
- The cover is transparent, which means you can see working of the pump
- There are no instructions
- There’s no included manual, but the manufacturer provides one on their website
- The transition from the tube to the pump is not very smooth
- The air pipe to the powerhead needs to be longer
100 to 150 Gallon, Rated – Professional External Canister Filter –.
The Hydor external pump is undoubtedly the best external canister filter on the market. It’s also the best that comes in a box. The product will surpass your expectations and will meet all expectations.
21. Aquarium Turtle Filter Waterfall Flow Water Clean Pump Bio-Filtration
- This turtle filter fish tank waterfall filter can be used for small ponds, fish tanks, aquarium filters, one or two turtle tanks, or even for small fish tanks that have turtles.
- Aquascaping with the waterfall is also popular because it helps create an underwater landscape for your fish, turtles, and other creatures. For easy set-up, it comes with a detailed instruction guide.
- The great thing about this turtle filter fish tank waterfall filter is that it also includes a small cup to house the rocks.
- This turtle filter aquarium is very easy when it comes to maintenance because you no longer have to dump the rocks.
- Another great thing about this turtle filter fish tank waterfall filter is that it features a three-stage filtration process.
- The three-stage filtration process includes the nozzle, the polyester fiber pad, and biological active charcoal.
- This filtration process helps make the water clean even with just one waterfall filter.
- This turtle filter fish tank waterfall filter can help make the water cleaner for the fish, turtles, and any other creatures living in the tank.
- It also helps clear the water and keep the water from being cloudy for your fish, turtles, or any other creatures living in the tank.
22. SeaChem – Large Aquarium Fish Tank Filter
- Compact design
- Quiet even at higher speeds
- Well-made and durable
- Easy to remove, clean, and replace filters
- Exceptional customer service
- Large capacity tank filter, suitable for avid turtle owners
This is a well-made fish tank filter that’s small enough for tanks under 100 gallons. The Tidal features three different filter pads, which means you can wash, reuse, and replace them. When in action, the Tidal pulls water from the bottom of the tank to the top, ensuring that your turtle is bathing in clean and healthy water.
The pump is very quiet while it runs, even at full speed. If you’d like to reduce the fan noise, you can always slow the pump down.
The Tidal comes with a lighted pump switch and a UV sterilizer that’ll help prevent the spread of disease.
23. CoralVue Technology BH-2000 Octopus
- Powerful filter
- Easy to use control panel
- Includes everything you need to clean and maintain your tank
- Requires minimal maintenance
- Extremely quiet
- TUV, CE, and GS certified
- Energy efficient
- Comes with a 1 year warranty
This product is our top turtle tank filters selection for its ease of use and powerful cleaning performance.
Aquarium filter pump is a vital part of every aquarium. There are different kinds of aquarium filter pumps for different kinds of aquariums.
This aquarium filter pump is recommended for freshwater aquarium, some saltwater aquarium, turtle tank filter, small tank filter and big tank filter.
24. boxtech Aquarium Filter
- Great for turtle tanks or tanks with very little water flow
- Safe for freshwater and marine tanks
- Doesn’t require much electricity
- Can be easily modified for different water flow rates
- Generally very quiet according to reviews
- Has a child-proof lock
- Doesn’t need any tools to remove for cleaning
- You can place it upside down
- Available in different sizes
- Large surface area to remove toxins and nitrates
- Needs frequent cleaning
- Less ideal for saltwater tanks
- The manufacturer can be difficult to get the support from for problems
/ Aquarium/ Fish Tank for Fish, Aquariums, Turtle.
Your introduction to filters will generally be with a foam filter for a 10-20-gallon aquarium. But, in this case, you will benefit from some added power and an increased surface area.
The boxitech biochemical filter has these characteristics – along with much more. It is a submersible filter that jets water from all sides, across a large surface area. The flow can be adjusted and it features a child-proof lock.
25. Jebao 4-Stage Aquarium Canister Filter 320 GPH
- Quiet and efficient
- Holds up to an impressive 320 gallons per hour
- Can be used with external canister filters
- Comes in three different sizes: 50, 80, and 160 gallons
Jebao is a top brand when it comes to aquarium filter systems. The Canister filter we are recommending is one of their best products. It comes in three different sizes, with a 30-gallon model being the most popular.
The Canister filter is available for purchase from Amazon where it has over 20K reviews. This is an exceptionally high rating, and the average rating is 4.6 out of 5 stars! So with that said, it looks like the Jebao Canister Filter is worth the price.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best filter for my turtle tank?
I don’t know how long you have had your turtle tank, but I have had mine for over 6 years! In the past, I have tried many different filters and have found that the simple diy filter made with foam is the most effective for turtle tanks because it is very easy to clean and replace.
The foam filter only needs to be replaced and rinsed out every 2-4 weeks. The process is pretty straight forward. My turtle loves to be able to swim around and feel free and breathe in as much air as he likes in the water. With the foam filter, he is still able to get all the oxygen that he needs to survive.
The only problem I have had with his filter is keeping the turtle from eating it! He loves to eat it, but it is just a matter of keeping an eye on him.
Does a turtle tank need a filter?
A healthy turtle setup needs at least one filter. I personally prefer a minimum of a conservative size for each turtle (when they are large) as a filter to keep water flowing and moving and to eliminate any dead pockets.
How often should you change the filter in a turtle tank?
A turtle filter is a small filter that was specifically designed to be used in turtle tanks. These are designed to filter out the soiling of the water correctly. Because turtles can live in water for an extended period of time, these need to be changed with regularity. This will vary depending on the size of the turtle tank and the amount of turtles living in it.
Turtles can live for decades and are rather large pets, so they will cause problems for you if you don't keep the water filtered correctly. Turtle filters are found in almost all pet stores and can be easily bought by everyone.
Having too much of turtle waste in the water of a turtle tank can cause algae growth. To combat this, you need to clean out the turtle filter. It is very rare that a human will clean this out for you, so you need to keep an eye on when it needs to be cleaned.
How do you filter a turtle tank?
Reptile filtration differs from traditional fish tanks in a few fundamental ways. The main difference is the aquariums need to have filtration that can handle the enclosure staying at a consistent temperature rather than cycling (having warm and cold periods).
Additionally, filtering a turtle or tortoise tank is different from a standard fish tank due to the size of the enclosure.
Since you are looking at turtle tanks at least 20 gallons in size, it is imperative that you find the right turtle tank filter or risk depleting your water supply at an incredibly fast rate. The turtle tank filter should be rated for the tank size you are hoping to keep.
There are many types of turtle/tortoise filtration systems, from external canister filters, to free-standing turtle filters, to even submerged turtle filters.
If you’re looking for the best turtle tank filter for your turtle’s habitat, you might want to stick around a little.
A turtle tank filter is very important as it assists in maintaining the quality of your turtle’s habitat and allows your pet to live out its full and healthy life span. With that in mind, this page will focus on helping you make the best choice for your turtle’s habitat needs.
|Aquapapa 4X Dual Bio Sponge Filter||Best Overall|
|Aquaneat Aquarium Bio Sponge Filter Corner Filter Breeding Shrimp Nano Fish Tank Water||Budget Pick|
|CoralVue Technology BH-1000 Octopus||Upgrade Pick|