It’s mind bending to think about how much pet hair is on your floor and furniture. The average dog alone sheds 50-100 hairs per day! So while you’re blissfully enjoying your pet at home, they’re microfibers are being distributed, fallen on your floor, collecting in the corner of the room, and are inevitably left behind when you fail to adequately clean up after them.
Here’s the thing — if your vacuum sucks at vacuuming pet hair, then it sucks at vacuuming everything else! A vacuum picking up dog hair or pet hair from a hairless pet is merely a bonus (unless that’s the main reason you are looking for a new vacuum). You need to optimize for vacuuming everything from pet hair to dust, crumbs, and other dirt.
While it’s not very exciting to think about finding a new vacuum, seriously, I did the research for you. I found the best vacuums for pet hair. Below are descriptions of these vacuums along with links to see them on Amazon.
1. NEQUARE Cordless Vacuum Cleaner 18KPa Super Suction Pet Hair Eraser 4 in 1 Cordless Stick Vacuum Convenient& Easy Empty Dirt Bin 35Min Long-Lasting Lightweight& Versatile
"So easy to use. Perfect for my needs. I love how lightweight it is. Also love the charge time of 30 min. But if you wait until the battery light goes out, you can get a good 45 minutes out of it. Works great on my stairs and carseats. "
"Really powerful and long lasting. The suction is great, I can't believe it’s cordless because it picks up everything. I didn't intend to buy a handheld but this was the usual price (twice as much) of Dyson and I couldn't resist."
"So I have had this for about 2 months now and clearly this vacuum cleaner is the best. Firstly, the vacuum cleaner is very small and easy to carry, it works smoothly and is very convenient to use. I got another vacuum cleaner at home, but I really like this one because it develops the highest power consumption than the other one, and it is very convenient to use it. I am very happy with the product."
2. Shark Navigator Zero-M Self-Cleaning Brushroll Pet Pro
- Lightweight 7-lb vacuum
- Nice and powerful motor
- Dirt ejector tool to easily remove pet hair from furniture
- Bagless pet tools
- Comfortable and ergonomic
- 16-ft long cord
- The swivel head helps get into difficult areas
- Shark has a great reputation for customer service
- Shark has a 1-year warranty
- Doesn’t require a lot of maintenance
One of the best vacuums for pet hair is… with the Shark Navigator. It’s pretty powerful and is very versatile, making it a suitable choice for both carpets and hard floors. It has a swivel head, which can maneuver in hard to reach places. The vacuum is also relatively lightweight at under 9 pounds.
It’s bagless and comes with a special pet tool to remove pet hair from upholstery and fabrics. To use it simply brush the hair away and release it into the canister. You’ll also get a crevice tool and a dusting brushe.
3. Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum
The Shark Rotator Powered Lift-Away TruePet Upright Vacuum with HEPA Filter is filled with features specifically designed for pet owners. It combines a vac with easy-to-empty dust cup, a HEPA filtration system, convenient on board tools and a design that makes maintenance of the vacuum easy.
The vacuum comes with a powerful suction that is great for stuck-on, embedded dirt. It also has a total cleaning path of 12 inches, double the standard 6-inch cleaning path. Shark Upright Vacuum has a removable canister that lets you vacuum either on the go or in areas with limited space.
The vacuum cleaner is lightweight and can be carried and carried up and down stairs. It weighs only 12lbs, which is less than most upright vacuums. On top of that, it is easy to use and comes with a swivel steering feature, which makes it convenient to maneuver.
4. Miele Complete C3 Cat & Dog Canister Vacuum-Corded
- The efficiency and quality from Miele is fantastic
- Comes with very useful accessories
- It is very easy to maneuver due to the light weight
The Miele Complete C3 is a 2-in-1 vacuum cleaner that can be converted into a handheld vacuum.
It has a 9.5″ Carpet Nozzle, an 8.2″ Pneumatic Tangle-Free Turbobrush, a 5.5″ Crevice Nozzle, a Cleaning Combination Plus with Pet Upholstery Tool, and a 10.2″ Carpet Suction Nozzle.
It also has a bag change indicator, an automatic Power Control, and a 5-speed Stainless Steel Turbobrush.
5. Eureka Mighty Mite 3670 Corded Canister Vacuum Cleaner
- Compact, sturdy and easy to move around
- High quality, durable, and aesthetically pleasing
- Light and easy to use
- Works well on every surface – rugs, hardwood, linoleum, tiles, etc.
- Hands-free attachment can be used for cleaning corners and ceilings
- Can get noisy
- Not the best for carpet
- Bag is hard to replace
A good hand vacuum cleaner, perfect for pet hair and low-pile carpets. Very handy to use and can suck up hair in every corner of the house.
This vacuum cleaner is pretty quiet, although at first, it can be a bit loud. It works well with all surfaces, awkward corners, and other hard to reach places. It’s easy to clean and the dust bag is also pretty easy to replace.
6. Shark Rocket DeluxePro Ultra-Light Upright Corded Stick Vacuum
The dust cup on this Shark Rocket is very easy to empty. The sliding button is located at the bottom of the dust cup, it slides to the right to open the dust cup. It can hold up to 0.9-liters of dust.
The Swivel steering makes it very easy to maneuver on hardwood, tile, and carpet. It has 5 height settings that can be adjusted to 6-inch increments. It has a max/min switch for easily adjusting suction power.
The cord reaches 10 feet, which is a decent length. It also comes with a cord caddy that can be attached to the vacuum to make storage easier.
7. Bissell Pet Hair Eraser Handheld Vacuum
The Bissell Pet Hair Eraser handheld vacuum is perfect for pet owners or anyone who struggles with keeping their home tidy. It has enough versatility to really tackle all your vacuuming needs.
The first outstanding feature of the Pet Hair Eraser is the design. While it looks exactly like a Dyson V7, it isn’t. But don’t let the design fool you. It’s very similar in terms of features and power. It has a motorized brush roll, a direct drive suction, a crevice tool, and a pet tool.
Some of the key differences are in the attachments. The Bissell has a dusting brush (while the Dyson does not), and the hose on the Bissell is a little shorter. In our opinion, those differences barely matter, since the function is the same on both.
8. Dyson Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Extremely powerful, with up to 83 air watts
- Long and flexible hose
- Easy to set up and use
- Color fading on frequent usage
- Can be challenging to empty
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 has a monster suction power, ideal for getting rid of pet hair, dust, and other allergens. It also works perfectly on hard and carpeted floors.
It comes with the most advanced tool, the combination of an air-driven turbine tool and a powerful direct-drive cleaner head.
The vacuum comes with a long 27-foot stretch hose and a long wand that even has a rotating dirt ejector that helps remove dust, dirt and hair from hard-to-reach areas.
9. Dyson DC65 Animal Upright Vacuum Cleaner
Dyson DC65 Animal is a machine that can be used on any surface: carpeted, upholstered and hardwood floors. It’s deep cleaning action can pick up massive amounts of debris, and its motorized brush bar will free your home of dust and pet hair with ease.
The machine has a single cylinder encompassing a dual cyclones system. It’s design ensures that enormous amounts of air move through the machine. The result is a powerful suction force that’s capable of picking up anything on the ground or in the air.
The DC65 Animal is cord-free. It has a lithium-ion battery that can power the machine for up to 45 minutes. Lithium-ion batteries aren’t the strongest, but they make up for it in their charge-holding abilities. The battery takes 3-hours to completely recharge.
10. Dyson DC39 Animal canister vacuum cleaner
Overall ratings: 4.6 out of 5 stars (24K reviews)
Here is a vacuum that grabs the attention of every pet owner! Perfect for pet hair, this comes with excellent features allowing you to clean furniture, carpets, laminate floors and area rugs.
Its revolutionary cyclone technology separates the dust and dirt from the air and expels it directly into the bin. The long, flexible reach and head of the vacuum can go anywhere. The self-adjusting cleaner head can adapt to every contour of the floor and other surfaces.
11. Kenmore Elite 31150 Pet Friendly Bagged Upright Beltless Vacuum w/Pet Handi-Mate
- strong suction. The Kenmore has a lot of suction power that pulls in dirt from deep under carpets
- extendable hose is long and you can use it to clean stairs
- convenient features. The vacuum has 3 height positions so you can use it on all surfaces
- extendable wand allows you to clean in hard to reach areas and get under furniture
- easy to convert from upright to canister for more versatility
- easy to empty
- bags are very reasonably priced and last a long time
- full bag indicator lets you know when to change the bag
- bag is easy to remove from the canister. Just lift the release lever and turn the canister over
- comes with two attachments. The brush tool is great for removing pet fur from furniture
- noisier than other vacuums we tested
- upright handle is uncomfortable to carry when the vacuum is unplugged
12. Black+Decker Ultra Light Weight Black & Decker BDASP103 Lightweight Upright Cleaner
- Lightweight at just 7lbs.
- Barely lift when moving from place to place.
- Powerful motor.
- The suction power is decent.
- HEPA filtration.
- You do not have to wait for a lot of time for the vacuum to heat up.
- Catches a lot of hair.
- Reasonably priced.
- 4 position height adjustment.
- The cleaning reach is average.
- Fairly noisy.
- Difficult to push.
- The power cord is a little short.
- Will not work well on rugs and carpets.
- Not a good fit for people under 5’3.
Looking for the best vacuum cleaner for pet hair for your home or office is not an easy task. But, you can do it faster with the right information.
This information is comprehensive and easy to understand. It is for people who are undecided about what vacuum to buy.
13. BLACK+DECKER 20V MAX Flex Cordless Stick Vacuum
- A stain removal tool and pet hair brush is included in this package
- Suitable for low to medium pile carpet
- Less noise during operation
- Has a quick switch feature, which makes it ideal to transition smoothly between hardwood floor and carpet
- Can be used in three ways – as a handheld vacuum, a wand, and as an upright
- Has an XL dust capacity
- The built-in LED light makes it easy to clean in dim light
- The floor brush is designed to be a part of the tank so it doesn’t take up additional space
- The Flexi-stick can bend and reach different tight areas
- It is required to buy a battery to use it
- The suction power is not adequate for thick carpet
14. Dyson V6 Baby + Child Handheld Vacuum
- Portable and light
- Excellently priced
- Good suction on both hard and soft floors
- 2-year warranty
- Picks up pet hair easily
- 2-in-1 vacuum with a detachable handheld
- Very easy cleanup of filter
- Has a gentle brush roll for pet hair when attached to vacuum
- Can easily be operated with one hand
- Comes with the washable HEPA filter
The Dyson V6 Baby and Child Handheld Vacuum is not only affordable but also delivers good cleaning performance. It can easily take care of most spills and dust in the house including pet hair and grime in the car.
15. Hoover BH50010 Linx Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- The cost-effective solution for pet hair
- Lightweight and portable cordless vac
- Handy attachments for snuggly corners
- The V6 Motor provides plenty of power
- A 30-minute charge is enough for cleaning a room
- The Linx comes with a powerful lithium battery and motor, two slim hand tools to clean under furniture, and a charging base
- You will have to empty the bin often
- The suction doesn’t power through mounds of pet fur
16. Hoover React Professional Pet Plus Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner
- Can handle pet fur from both dogs and cats with more ease than other vacuums
- Using the scoop function, you can take out larger debris
- Extremely maneuverable
- You won’t need to spend too much time and effort maintaining and keeping the vacuum
- Great suction
- The noise levels are a little too loud
- Doesn’t work well on area rugs
- Many users find the instructions manual to be lacking
- The vacuum lacks a dust cup
Losing your patience with pet hair is one of the biggest dilemmas many pet owners face. However, this needn’t be your problem anymore, thanks to the Hoover React Pet Plus Bagless Upright Vacuum Cleaner.
This model has been designed to get rid of pet fur from your home with ease. An average Hoover vacuum will pick up almost all the fur off your floor but won’t handle pet hair. This particular model, however, can work like a charm on both pet hair and dirt and debris.
17. Bissell PowerEdge Pet Hardwood Floor Bagless Cleaner
We picked the Bissel PowerEdge Pet Hard Floor Blow into the best vacuum for pet hair.The sparkling luster of your hardwood surface is all the easier to protect with this cleaner.
It comes in 4 great colors and has a gray/black finish.
The easy-empty dust canister has a one-touch button that pops out with the push of a button. The simple system allows for seamless emptying.
18. Prolux Tritan Pet Turbo Canister Vacuum Cleaner HEPA Sealed Hard Floor Vacuum Color: White
For the price the Prolux Tritan Pet Vacuum is a great option. If you’re a pet or allergy sufferer, or have problems cleaning pet hair.
You would have already heard that vacuuming can be a chore. But with this little Prolux you won’t need to expend any more energy, as it will do all of the work for you.
The Tritan Pet comes with the HEPA filter and a turbo brush for your tough pet hair. You can also use with the crevice tool to get into the hard-to-reach spaces.
19. Kenmore Elite 21814 Pet Friendly CrossOver Lightweight Bagged HEPA Canister Vacuum
- Affordable price
- Sets up in minutes
- No assembly required
- Very powerful motor
- The attachments are ideal for all types of floors and areas
- The cord is relatively short at 20ft
- Cleans the surface only
- The attachments are visible from the outside
- Fine dust accumulates around the nozzle and body of the vacuum
We know how hard it is to maintain a clean, fluffy carpet. But the key to a fuller and plusher carpet is the right vacuum. The Kenmore Elite 21814 pet friendly cross over is an easy-to-use vacuum cleaner, making it an ideal choice for pet owners.
The vacuum’s telescopic wand allows you to extend to almost six feet long. The cross-over nozzle is equally effective on carpet, rugs, and even bare floors.
The vacuum features a motor which is powerful enough to pick up dust and dirt. The canister is durable enough to take up the challenge even with pet hair and tumbleweed.
20. BLACK+DECKER Power Series Pro Pet Cordless Stick Vacuum Cleaner
- Long, 25-minute run time.
- Plus, a 2-hour recharge time.
- Charges via an AC outlet, not batteries.
- Handy LED headlight.
- Comes with stretch hose and upholstery tool.
- Attachments snap off and on for easy storage.
- Pet Turbo brush can be used on upholstery and smooth surfaces.
- Filter is easy to remove when clogged.
- Trigger can be difficult to press and hold while vacuuming.
- Must press the button for power several times to turn on.
- Massive vacuum head, designed for lots of suction may be hard to maneuver.
- Bagless canister fills up quickly, which means you just vacuum a lot more often.
- 2-year limited warranty.
Looking for the best pet hair vacuum? This one comes in a few different head attachments and is designed for combing out stubborn pet hair that hides in hard-to-reach places.
21. Gtech AirRam High-power Cordless Vacuum Cleaner
If you’re looking for a high-powered vacuum cleaner that won’t take up much space, then you might be interested in the G-tech AirRam GV6010L. It’s a lightweight tool that’s designed to clean hard floors, rugs, and carpets.
When you first start using it, you might find it hard to believe that this vacuum cleaner has the power to remove pet hair from your rugs. Still, it’s able to do that easily thanks to its high-speed motor. It will also glide over both hardwood and carpet flooring.
22. Eureka EasyClean Lightweight Handheld Vacuum Cleaner
- Quickly removes pet hair from both hard and soft surfaces
- Comes with a crevice tool, a dusting brush, and a rigid nozzle
- Small, lightweight design is convenient for use on various surfaces
- Has an auto shutoff system to safeguard against overhead discharge
- Doesn’t have very strong suction
- Sometimes has trouble with long pieces of hair
If you’re looking for affordable handheld vacuum, this may be a good option for you. It’s lightweight with a design that’s convenient for storage and use.
The first thing that you’ll notice will be the ergonomic design. It’s got a unique handle design that has a ‘soft grip’ feel, which makes it comfortable to use, even when you’re dealing with an extended period of cleaning.
Then, there’s the anti-allergen system, which has a HEPA filter. This unit is great for pet owners, as it will be able to capture 99.9% of pet dander. The design also makes it easy to keep the filter clean.
23. Bissell Bolt Pet Lithium Ion Cordless Stick Vacuum
- Comes in two sizes – 21v and 54v
- Very lightweight – perfect for maneuvering around furniture
- Can clean for up to 20 minutes on a single charge
- It’s powerful – 10x more suction than other cordless vacuums
- Features the proven Cyclonic Pet Hair Spinning…
- It’s a bit on the louder side
- The battery power is not as great as the other Bissell cordless vacuums
- Bigger than the Dyson cordless vacuums
If you have stairs in your house or a lot of hardwood floors to clean, you might want to give the Bolt Pet Lithium Ion Cordless Vacuum, 1954 a chance. This is due to the powerful motor that can generate 10x more suction than other cordless vacuums.
This Bissell Bolt model comes in two sizes – 21v or 54v. This is important when considering whether you need to purchase the pet variant of the Bolt or not.
The 21v Bolt is great for low-pile carpeting or bare floors and the 54v version is great for medium to high pile carpeting.
24. Electrolux EL4335B Corded Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum
Back in the day, canister vacuums were popular because they offered a better cleaning performance than the old cylinder vacuums. Today, this form factor is probably more popular for its space-saving qualities.
The Electrolux EL4335B Ultra Flex Canister Vacuum brings toughness to the canister vacuum.
The unit comes with a bag but can also be used with a nontoxic reusable cloth filter. It weighs 11.75 pounds which is not lightweight but doesn’t feel too heavy when wearing all of its features. The unit has a 20 foot power cord that’s not retractable. Hopefully, this is enough cord length even though it makes the vac a bit heavier.
25. Cordless Vacuum
The WELIKERA cordless vacuum is without a doubt the best vacuum for pets on the market.
Aside from being cordless, this gadget has an automatic cord rewind system, which is super handy. The automatic rewind system means that you’ll never have to worry about tangled wires again. Simply release the button and the cord will be wound up automatically.
The WELIKERA can accommodate a 12V/100W high-performance suction and three easy-to-change suction levels. Plus, the two-level adjustable sliding nozzle provides complete control over the suction. This function allows you to easily clean a variety of surfaces – hard floors, carpets, and upholstery.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best vacuum for pet hair?
This is a complicated question because there are two things to consider: budget and selection.
In terms of selection, you’ll find that most vacuum cleaners on the market will do a pretty decent job of cleaning pet hair; however, the Dyson Ball Animal 2 really shines in this department.
The Dyson Ball Animal 2 is considered the best vacuum for pet hair because it has a superior suction power and a powerful brush that is designed to clean pet hair from carpeting more than any other. As the name would suggest, it is a ball model vacuum so not only does it have strong suction but it is also very unlikely to fall off the stairs.
Are pet vacuums worth it?
If you’re like most pet owners, there isnʼt really an option whether or not you should invest in a pet specific vacuum. You just have to because no matter what pet vacuum you buy, you won’t be able to fully rely on one vacuum to get all of the pet hair.
If you have more than one dog or you have a habitat, you may even find that you have to use more than one vacuum.
Which vacuum is best for human hair?
If you don't have pets and you want the best vacuum for human hair, look for a vacuum with a HEPA filter.
The best vacuum for pet hair is one that fits nicely in your budget and offers the features that make your cleaning job easier. If you are in search of a new vacuum, you may be overwhelmed by all the options you will find. Today, you can easily find vacuum cleaners for pet hair that do an excellent job at an affordable price. But how do you differentiate between the vacuum cleaners for pet hair that only look nice from those that are actually worth the money?