If you own a dog, it’s not always easy to find the best vegan dog food. Many commercial dog food brands contain byproducts of dead animals, such as the 4-D meat (from dead, dying, diseased, and disabled animals).
However, there are some great vegan dog foods on the market that provide your dog with all the nutrients they need while avoiding meat and dead animals. To help you find the best vegan dog food for your pup, we’ve put together a handy list of the top vegan dog foods for 2019!
|Petcurean Gather Endless Valley Vegan Recipe Dry Dog Food||Best Overall|
|Fruitables Dog Treats||Budget Pick|
|Sojos Mix-A-Meal Pre-Mix Natural Dehydrated Dog Food||Upgrade Pick|
1. Petcurean Gather Endless Valley Vegan Recipe Dry Dog Food
(Natural Potato & Sweet Potato With Organic Barley)
The Gather brand has been producing high quality animal-free foods since 2013. This formula is a mixture of natural potatoes and sweet potatoes with organic barley that is designed to meet your dog’s needs.
The Gather recipes have been developed over a 5-year period by a veterinary nutritionist who creates recipes by using vegan ingredients. The result is healthy, nutritious food that your dog will love!
2. V-Dog Vegan Kibble Dry Dog Food
The best vegan dog foods use nutritious plant-based foods to fill the nutritional requirements of dogs. V-Dog’s vegan kibble is grain-free and made with nutrient-rich ingredients that provide the nutritional value that dogs need.
V-dog does not use any animal byproducts, which means that there’s no risk of your dog suffering from allergens. Because many dogs suffer from food allergy reactions, this is one of the most crucial features of dog food.
It’s committed to helping dogs live a healthier and longer life. They only use healthy, whole-food ingredients that are also human-grade. The fresh produce used in this dog food will give your dog the energy they need!
3. Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food
- Vegan friendly
- Complete and balanced with vitamins and minerals
- USDA certified meat-free
- 100% complete and balanced vegan diet for dogs
- Grain and gluten-free formula
- Might cause loose stools
- May not be ideal for dogs with digestive issues
- A little pricey
While there are several vegetarian dog food formulas out there, we believe that Natural Balance Vegetarian Dry Dog Food is one of the best vegetarian dog food formulas available on the market today.
The Natural Balance brand has been around for nearly 40 years. They’ve always stuck to their claim of developing products that are scientifically formulated to support optimal health and wellness in dogs. They also believe in using natural sources and are against the use of byproducts and are dedicated to creating formulas that are free from wheat, corn, and artificial colors and preservatives.
Their formula is also suitable for dogs of all shapes and sizes. So if you’re looking for a diet change or deciding to switch your dog to a vegetarian diet, Natural Balance canned vegetarian food should be among the first brands you look at.
4. Dr. Harvey's Veg-to-Bowl Dog Food
- Made in America
- Certified human grade and plant-based
- Variety of kibble sizes
- No fillers
- Tastes delicious
- Provides a good protein boost
- Only available in bulk, not in smaller quantities
- Not approved by the AAFCO
- The number one ingredient is dehydrated plant matter, not meat
- May contain pea protein
Taste Test: Very palatable, dog gobbled it down, contented and calm afterwards
The best vegan dog food options are found in dehydrated, or pate, form, or dehydrated with fresh vegetables added. Since some plant options are also not grain free, be sure to carefully read the label. The Dr. Harvey–s Veg-to-Bowl is highly digestible, tasty food, for dogs of all sizes. It contains no animal ingredients, making it vegan and vegetarian-friendly. It is not approved by the American Association of Feed Control Officials, however, and does not contain the appropriate calcium and other nutrients for an animal that’s been fed only vegan food. It has a good amount of protein, but not as much as an animal-based diet.
5. Halo Vegan Dry Dog Food
- Made with human-grade tasty vegetables, fruits, and grains
- Formulated with protein, omega-3s, vitamins & minerals
- Contains fatty acids which serve as fuel for the working dog, plus antioxidants for overall health and immune support
- Contains added vitamins and minerals to ensure a healthy Pup
- Healthy antioxidants provide immune support
- No by-products, no artificial colors or flavors and no corn, wheat, or soy
- Dog lovers who prefer a grain free diet can purchase this dog food
- Can cause stomach sensitivities in dogs on special diet
- No product listing of the ingredients
- A bit expensive for a dog food due to the quality
Halo Vegan Dry Dog Food is the only vegan dog food that is grain free. Additionally, it has been designed and balanced to meet the nutritional levels required by dogs of all breeds. The food is for dogs of all ages, and stages of life, because it contains probiotics, antioxidants, and omega 3 & 6 fatty acids which can help keep your pup healthy.
6. Fruitables Dog Treats
- Increased the life expectancy of dogs taking these treats by several years
- High flavor quotient
- No grain, corn, turkey, wheat, soy, animal by-products or artificial colors, flavors, preservatives, or fillers
- Gives the dog a sense of fullness quickly, preventing overeating
- Users have vouched for the effectiveness of this product
- Customers have given positive feedback on its effectiveness, specifically in teaching the dogs to walk on a leash
- A lot of dogs absolutely love the taste and are always looking forward to it
- People have commented on the excellent customer service provided by the company
- Helps dogs maintain good body weight
- Also helps to rehabilitate dogs with cancer
(Pack of 3)
While this dog food does not have any grains, it does have vegetables. Some people have voiced their concerns about a high vegetable content in dog food, because a lot of dog foods cause indigestion in dogs.
7. Purina HA Hypoallergenic Vegetarian Dog Food 6 lbs
Like humans, dogs have allergies, and they can often be rooted in their diet. This hypoallergenic formula is specially-made to ensure there are no animal proteins in the kibble – plants are the only protein source for this dog food.
What’s even better is that it’s super easy on your dog’s stomach. Since meat is not part of the formula, your dog’s gut will have a much easier time processing the food. With that said, a food that’s easy on the stomach doesn’t mean that it’s low in nutrition. That’s because a non-meat diet can also be low in some essential vitamins and nutrients.
8. Nature's Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Adult Dog Food
Nature’s Recipe is the oldest dog food brand in the U.S., and is a leader in Biologically Appropriate Gluten-Free foods for dogs. Today, they offer 30+ different dog foods, and it’s all possible because of their high-quality standards.
Nature’s Recipe Healthy Skin Vegetarian Recipe Adult Dog Food is free of gluten, wheat, corn, and soy. It’s made with fresh vegetables, peas, sweet potatoes, and oatmeal. It’s also non-GMO.
The chunks are of medium/large size, which your dog will be able to chew easily.
9. Wysong Vegan Feline/Canine Formula Dry Dog/Cat Food
This is a good option for vegan cats or dogs who want to treat themselves and think it’s totally fine that they enjoy life!
The Wysong company has been producing health-promoting pet food products for over four decades. They are a family owned company which has grown into a corporation, but they have always remained dedicated to customer sales and service, with a reputation for providing the highest quality health products at reasonable prices.
Manufacturing their products with the highest level of purity, quality, nutrition, and bioavailability, Wysong never uses harmful processes with their ingredients. They use natural methods for preserving foods – not pasteurization!
10. The Honest Kitchen Human Grade Dehydrated Grain Free Fruit & Veggie Base Mix
- the vegan and all natural ingredients
- high protein, low fat, and high fiber content
- complete, balanced, and nutritionally packed
- comes in limited ingredient but complete and non-limited Nutrition Profile
- preferred over the natural balance grain free
- the kibble is small and sometimes fall off the plate
- a bit pricey
If your dog has a bit of a sensitive digestive system and you want something other than artificial ingredients, then you will love this dehydrated chicken liver.
The Honest Kitchen dehydrated grain free fruit and veggies base has minimal-to-no ingredients. Although, it doesn’t say which ones, but it is still great for dogs with allergies because it has no food coloring or corn.
The main ingredient that has a lot of nutrition is meat, and even for a human baby food, it’s still the number one ingredient.
11. Wild Earth Healthy High-Protein Formula Dry Dog Food
Wild Earth is a USDA-certified organic plant protein formula for dogs. It’s loaded with vitamins and minerals making it highly metabolism-boosting. Plus, it’s available in two sizes: 50 and 25 pounds.
The diet is 100% vegan and has no filler ingredients such as chicken or eggs. Of course, it’s also grain-free which is great for pups with sensitive stomachs.
12. Evolution Diet Vegan Wet Dog & Cat Food
- Comes in five flavors, including beef, chicken, duck, turkey, and salmon
- 99.9%° of all animal ingredients are meat
- Gluten free
- Lactose free
- Soy free
- Wheat free
- No artificial ingredients
- Free of common allergies
- No animal digest
- No artificial coloring
(Less Than 10 People)
13. Health Extension Vegetarian Entree 12.8 Ounces
This product comes from Health Extension, a company that has been in the dog food business for over 45 years. It’s one of the best vegetarian dog food brands on the market.
Health Extension Vegetarian Entree is made with fresh vegetables, giving your dog a complete and wholesome meal. It’s made with Taurine, an amino acid that supports the body at different points and ensures healthy development.
This formula is designed to keep your pup active, as it contains all the nutrients that they need. The only downside is that it takes a long time to thaw.
14. Threepaws Gourmet Organic Vegan Dog Treats
- Meat-free dog treats
- Crunchy and tasty treat
- Contains 100% organic ingredients
- Good for dog’s teeth
- Easy to chew
- Healthier than normal dog treats
- Made without wheat, soy, corn, or grain
- Suitable for dogs of all breeds
- High in protein
- A long Shelf Life
- A bit expensive
- Need to use the nail clip to break them
15. V-dog Vegan Breathbone Dog Chew Treats
First off, if you are attempting to switch your dog to a plant-based diet it's important that you first transition them off of their old food. This make take a couple of weeks but it will ensure that they only experience one type of food at a time. Ultimately, lowering the chances of your dog experiencing any stomach or digestive trouble during the process.
The second thing you'll want to consider is how your dog will react to the diet change. Will you notice behavioral changes, such as an increase in energy or a change in level of activity or attention? This is especially true if your pet has a sensitive stomach or is used to a specific diet at home.
16. Whimzees Natural Grain Free Daily Dental Dog Treats
Made in the USA from natural ingredients, Whimzees’ products are vegan friendly. Coupled with the fact that each flavor variety pack offers over 50 treats with zero grains and zero gluten, this is a great purchase for anybody with an allergy or sensitivity.
The unique packaging is unlike any other on the market – which saves time and energy when packing away the treats in the right place.
The fact that the ingredients are all natural means there’s never any additional preservatives, animal products or fillers. The only thing that might not be 100% fit for a carnivore’s diet is the fact that there’s brewer’s yeast in the mix – but it’s fine for dogs on a vegan diet.
17. BRUTUS & BARNABY Sweet Potato Dog Treats
Brutus & Barnaby dog treats are all-natural, for dogs of all sizes. They’re specially designed for dogs to enjoy,as they’ve been baked from scratch and contain 100% real sweet potatoes.
The treats are made with an organic prebiotic, which aids digestion and enhances the intestinal flora. They’re also free of corn, wheat, and soy.
There are many benefits to feeding your dog organic treats.
18. Sojos Mix-A-Meal Pre-Mix Natural Dehydrated Dog Food
You may think that vegan dog foods aren’t good for your dog. However, that’s not entirely the case. By choosing the right product, you can give your dog a balanced, healthy diet.
And that’s exactly what Sojos does with their Mix-a-Meal dog food. It’s specifically designed for dogs who are vegetarians or vegans. And it’s completely safe for your pet. Plus it’s a single ingredient or vegan dog food, so you won’t have to worry about your dog’s long term health. You can also mix it with other dog foods if you’re worried about the exact quantity.
The product is premixed, which is a boon for busy owners. You can feed your dog just by pouring the contents into your dog’s bowl. It’s great for owners who are not into measuring or mixing foods themselves. And even if you’re a complete beginner, you can feed your dog the same way.
19. Evanger's Grain-Free Single Protein Game Meats
- Single animal protein, whole foods, high quality meat
- All 3 protein choices: Duck, chicken and quail are all grain-free
- Grain-free, made from natural ingredients without fillers
- Liver is from US-sourced poultry
- Recommended for dogs with food sensitivities and intolerances
- Dogs with food allergies should be tested before feeding this food
- Under 3 lbs. should not be fed unless your vet says it's OK
- Protein content is listed at 27-32%, but protein on an AAFCO test is 30%
- Dogs with limited mobility need modified amounts due to more activity with this food
- Most dogs eat more of this food than they should as a result of increased protein
The Evanger's homemade, single protein food for dogs is all natural, made with dehydrated meats without any added preservatives, chemicals or byproducts. There are 3 single animal protein choices available: chicken, beef and duck. All are grain-free.
Evanger's also makes a single protein food for cats, which is grain-free with chicken being the only single protein.
The dry dog food is available in a 5 lbs. or 7 lbs. bags.
20. Benevo Dry Puppy Food Original Complete Puppy
Vegan dog food is still relatively new in the US. Luckily, there are now more and more brands and products launching.
The Benevo Complete puppy food is a complete dry dog food without meat. Just because this product contains no meat, it is not suitable for dogs. Benevo Complete Puppy Food (Original) is a complete kibble food with vegetable protein as the main source of protein. The grain in Benevo Complete Puppy Food Original is oat, which is a good gluten, since gluten forms easily digestive proteins.
Apples, barley, wheat, soya and so on are all vegan ingredients. These are not toxic or harmful for dogs. Lupin in Benevo Complete Puppy Food Original contains gluten and is not suitable for dogs. But you can note it on the list of ingredients.
21. PetGuard Organic Vegan Entree
22. AvoDerm Natural Wet Dog Food
One of the best vegan dog foods, it has a high protein content and contains all the essential amino acids that a dog needs. It’s low in calories, so not great for overweight or active dogs, but it’s not intended for complete diets anyway.
The kibble is comparable to baked biscuits/crackers, and it’s very easy for your dog to eat. And your kitchen doesn’t smell like wet dog food after you’re done with the feeding.
It doesn’t have any seafood meals and is completely vegan. Average rating is 4.3 out of 5 stars, based on over 1200 reviews. The only major problem I saw was that it’s not a complete diet and needs to be supplemented with a vegan dog food to be sufficient.
23. Natural Balance Ultra Premium Wet Dog Food
- Contains no artificial flavors, colorings or preservatives
- Balanced diet for small dogs
- Contains glucosamine and chondroitin
- Gluten free, corn free and soy free
- Mixed pack comes with two 5-pound bags to keep you well stocked for a few months
- Full of antioxidants to help protect your dog from free radicals
- Mixed pack contains two different flavors
- Contains carrageenan so avoid if you’re a vegan and your dog has food allergies
- Contains animal based protein which can make some vegans uncomfortable
- Contains byproducts, which means it has been treated with a certain amount of processing
(Best For Small Dogs)
24. Halo Vegan Natural Wet Dog Food
It is very difficult to find a good quality, well-priced vegan dog food. This is why we are recommending Halo’s Garden of Vegan flavor.
This wet food contains organic, all-natural ingredients, without any animal byproducts.
Halo Vegan Natural has a lower glycemic index than standard pet foods. Which means that it will help maintain healthy blood sugar levels, and also manage weight.
25. KetunPet Vegan Dog Food
- Gives your dog the protein it needs for healthy bones and muscles
- Mostly organic and non-GMO ingredients
- Does not contain grains, gluten, and soy which is commonly found in non-vegan dog food
- Has 45% protein and 25% fiber
- Comes in two flavor choices: beef and chicken.
- No artificial colors, flavors, or preservatives
- Expensive! About twice the price of most other vegan dog foods
- Some dogs may have digestive issues from the protein source of peas
- You have to feed your dog more of this vegan dog food than you would other brands
- Not suitable for puppies
Featuring all-natural ingredients and vegan ingredients, KetunPet is a high-quality dog food that is especially important for dogs which have a low tolerance for animal byproducts. This recipe contains peas as the primary protein source – but the peas are produced in the United States. The other ingredients include chickpeas, potatoes, sprouts, ground flax seeds, apples, carrots, and sunflower oil.
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
Which vegan dog food is best?
I am still shocked to find that there are still companies creating dog foods that contain meat, or vegetarian foods that contain dairy! It is important to do your homework, and know that, just because a company makes food labeled "vegetarian," it does not necessarily mean that the food is vegan.
Chemicals and by-products can still sneak into the food despite the lack of meat.
Careful reading of labels can steer you towards the vegan option.
So why feed a plant-based diet to a dog? Some of the benefits for a vegan diet include clear skin and coat, reduced food allergies, less shedding, increased energy, and minimization of health problems such as kidney disease.
What are the top 5 healthiest dog foods?
A dynamic combination of premium digestible ingredients and protein sources at an economical value make this a top choice for considerate consumers.
Is a vegan diet good for a dog?
Is it good for your dog to be a vegan?
The short answer is no.
Dogs are omnivorous, which means they need meat of some kind.
That said, it is still possible to give your dog a vegan diet, but it takes some planning on your end.
So, let's cover the top 5 vegan dog food brands on the market today, and see how they stack up against one another, and how you can pick the highest quality option for your pup.
What brand of dog food is killing dogs?
In the meantime, what brand should you be buying? That’s a tough question without a universally agreed answer.
Merrick, Orijen, Fromm, and Taste of the Wild tend to be considered the best for quality and flavor.
Doing your research is essential when you’re looking for a vegan dog food. The right food can help your dog live a longer, healthier, happier life. But the wrong food could make your dog sick or worse.
In this article, we’ll show you the most popular brands out there. And why the ones that we like are the best of the best.
|Petcurean Gather Endless Valley Vegan Recipe Dry Dog Food||Best Overall|
|Fruitables Dog Treats||Budget Pick|
|Sojos Mix-A-Meal Pre-Mix Natural Dehydrated Dog Food||Upgrade Pick|