There are a lot of features to consider when choosing the best wireless dog fence for your home. There are free-standing wireless dog fencing systems and those that have to be installed by a professional. They come in a variety of forms and are available in several different materials. Having a system that meets your needs will have an enormous impact on the way you look at your dog and your home.
It seems like the coverage area isn’t always obvious in their advertising. It’s very important that you have a good feel for what that area is before you make your purchase. Here are some other features to consider:
Installation: Is it a free-standing system or does it need to be professionally installed?
Install Area: How much coverage does your system have?
Sturdy: Most are made of plastic. Are you going to be able to handle the stronger/thicker models?
Pets: Is it a system for one or multiple pets? Can it be used for cats?
Budget: How much do you have to spend?
Also, you’ll want to consider the size of your dog!
A system designed for a 150-pound dog could be a bad choice for a 10-pound Pomeranian.
|SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems||Best Overall|
|PetSafe Indoor Radio Fence||Budget Pick|
|PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence||Upgrade Pick|
1. SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems
- Very reliable
- Tri-Tronics remote option available
- Large range on the receiver collar
- Safe, effective, and humane training tool
- Well-designed collar
- Keeps your dog safe and in the yard
- The collar doesn’t have a light or beep to alert the dog when it wears out
- Can be dangerous if used on an animal that is easily startled
- Can cause skin abrasions
- Must be used with a confinement method to keep your dog safe
- Need to train on perimeter before turning on fence
What we think of Invisible Fence Brand systems is that they are not as reliable as SportDOG Brand beside underground fencing. However, to give credit where credit is due, they are much less expensive than SportDOG.
2. PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence
PetSafe wireless dog fences – from the parent company of the INVISIBLE WIRE FENCE brand – are another respected leader in the industry. The Stay & Play wireless dog fence is an excellent option if you are looking for a wireless fence for your dog, or more than one dog (up to 4 per receiver).
This Stay & Play wireless dog fence comes with both the underground fence transmitter and the receiver collar.
This fence is very user-friendly, and is simple to set-up. There aren’t any wires to bury, so you can have your fence up in minutes. You’ll merely need to place the transmitter where you want the inner boundary to be.
3. PetSafe PIF00-12917 Stay & Play Wireless Fence
- Easy to setup
- Water resistant for outdoor use
- Up to 1000 foot range
- Waterproof Collar design
- Lightweight and ergonomic-designed collar
- Exclusions mode feature
- Perfect for dogs weighing 6-110 pounds
- No power switch. You must unplug to switch off.
- Only lasts 10-12 months (depending on usage).
The PetSafe Stay & Play PIF00-12917 is a great wireless fence for dogs who want to have the freedom to move around a little more while keeping them safe. The unit has a range of 1000 feet and a waterproof collar design unlike other wireless fencing brands out there. The PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Dog Fence is an affordable wireless dog fence that fits dogs weighing 6-110 pounds.
The wireless containment system has an easy-to-use button that turns the system on/off and on/off. But it’s not so easy to plug in because you have to make sure the plug is completely in, because you see there’s no actual power switch. The device is very easy to setup and takes about an hour to do so.
4. PetSafe Wireless Dog and Cat Containment System
- Includes rechargeable batteries
- Bar is large enough for almost any dog
- A great yard escape deterrent
- Does not ship for free
- Only includes a small battery and needs to be charged
- Requires a collar and cannot be used without one
- Only has a 300 yard coverage
(300 Yard Coverage)
PetSafe is one of the leading pioneers in the pet containment system industry, so it’s no wonder that they’re a number one best seller on Amazon. The system is incredibly easy to set up and is perfect for individuals who want containment without a physical fence.
Your pet will need to wear a compatible collar that you can purchase from PetSafe. The wireless system has 4 adjustable levels to accommodate your pet based on his temperament.
5. PetSafe Stubborn Dog In-Ground Fence
- Fairly easy to train your dog to stay within the invisible fence
- Can get the system to run off a small solar panel
- Free training DVD
- Cost efficient: Fence and collars are sold separately
- Solid construction with a strong wire
- 4 levels of correction
- First/Lowest Level – Can be used to let your dog get acquainted with the perimeter wire … We recommend keeping the collar at the lowest possible setting in this mode. If the dog is wearing the collar, he/she will hear the warning tone and feel some vibration, but this will not effect the correction. This is the best level for getting your dog accustomed to the settings of the collar …
- The Second Level – This is the best all-round setting for everyday use. This is good for continuous yard training …
- The Third Level – This is similar to the second level, however the correction will be quicker and slightly stronger …
6. PetSafe YardMax Rechargeable In-Ground Fence
- Comes with an integrated rechargeable battery pack
- Three, 6-foot grounding rods are included
- Includes a test light that will beep as soon as the circuit is complete
- Painless and effective
- Recommended for situations where the dog is aggressive or does not listen well to verbal commands
- Best for owners with little to no experience with pets
- Comes with up to a 2-year limited warranty
- User reviews indicate that this is the best dog fence on the market
- The price is a bit higher than most other competitors
- Comes with a short charging time
Because it is so easy to use, this product definitely ranks as the best invisible dog fence.
7. PetSafe Basic In-Ground Dog and Cat Fence
- The whole kit is easy to set up
- Worked really well with our large dog
- Has more control and efficiency
- Slow recharge speed
- The rechargeable collar cannot be used with the wire
- Battery size is small
Our choice of the wireless dog fence is the PetSafe Basic In Ground. These invisible containment systems operate on the same principle as a traditional fence, except that there is no physical barrier for your pet to run into. Instead, your pet wears a collar which emits an electrical signal that keeps them safely within their designated area. And as long as you maintain the margin of error in your property, your pet will not leave the boundaries and wander away.
Like many GPS style wireless containment systems, the PetSafe Basic In Ground system also uses an electronic tone, which your dog learns to avoid after a few sessions underneath the training collar.
8. GROOVYPETS Remote Dog Training Shock Collar & Underground/In-Ground Electric Containment Fence System Combo
- It has an inbuilt overcharge protection
- The light indicator
- It comes with a year warranty
- Waterresistant collar
- It prevents hyperactivity
- The key features are: anti-overcharge protection, light indicator, waterproof, rechargeable batteries.
Up to 90lbs- Safe & Effective with 70 Acre Range, Waterproof & Rechargeable, Stop Barking, Excessive Barking, & No Barking Collar.
GrooVy Pets have designed a well-thought-out, functional wireless dog fence system. Key features of this one are:
This waterproof, rechargeable in-ground perimeter system is ideal for training or containing your pet.
9. PetSafe Indoor Radio Fence
- Features 4 levels of static correction, each progressively more powerful than the previous
- Operates up to a 16-foot range
- Waterproof transmitter
- Weighs only 0.49 lbs
- Adjustable correction level
- Comes with one battery
- Can work for dogs and cats
- The unit is a bit large for cats
- The collar can’t be removed without cutting off the strap
- The device uses batteries and not rechargeable
- Lasts for a month before needing to replace the batteries
This PetSafe product is an ideal option for those looking for a durable and reliable wireless boundary that simple to set up and maintain.
The PetSafe Indoor Radio Fence for Cats and Dogs uses a range of 4 levels of static correction:
It also comes with a Proximity indicator: An audible tone that sounds to advise you of the level of correction. The Proximity indicator also checks the level of interaction between human and pet and adjusts it’s level of correction accordingly.
10. Electric Dog Fence + Remote Trainer
The PetSafe Yard & Park 6-in-1 transmitter is a great option for dog owners looking to contain their dog in small backyards and large parks. The system comes in a kit that includes the transmitter, receiver collar, a 10-volt battery for the collar, a wireless boundary wire, an installation manual, and some training collars.
This system is designed to deliver plenty of flexibility for how you want to use your oral training collar, and it can be adjusted to more accurately meet your pet’s needs. In its most basic setup it uses a boundary wire which can be hooked up between two trees in your yard, and then the transmitter will send out warning signals when your dog approaches the wired area.
11. Advanced High Performance Electronic Dog Fence System Wireless Pet Containment System
- Has a 100yds range
- Easy to setup
- Rechargeable collar included
- Extra batteries can be purchased for the collar
- Can be difficult to adjust to desired settings
- Not suitable for very large dogs
100 (1,00) Yards Range.
If you’re looking for a wireless dog fence, then the PetSafe is for you. We’ve found it being the best dog fence for medium and small-sized dogs.
The PetSafe offers a 100µs range and covers up to 100µs of land. For the smaller dogs, they’ll have very little chance of escaping.
12. Sit Boo-Boo Electric Dog Fence and Pet Containment System In-Ground or Above Ground Installation
- A 100% wireless system; no wires at all
- Can be applied both indoors and outdoors
- The boundary is impenetrable by little paws; therefore it creates a safe working environment for you
- Up to 90% invisible fence coverage.
- Incorporated 3-level correction with 15 adjustable levels of static correction, a tone-only mode, and vibration for training
- Has anti-overlap for strong signal and never loss of power
- 6 adjustable collar size, 5-50 pounds
- A guide to teach you how to configure the system
- Waterproof collar transmitter.
- The device is versatile; it can be used in an array of other situations such as in temporary enclosures for socializing dogs, in vet clinics, for agricultural purposes or simply for confining your pet in an area so small that you are able to keep an eye on it.
- The glue on the transmitter can be removed simply with some sandpaper
- The user guide that comes with the system is very vague and there is no online support available.
- The charging voltage is either 100 Volts or 220 Volts, so you are unable to use a voltage transformer
- The collar devices are large and bulky when compared to the Stay+Play Wireless Fence.
– For Rechargeable : 100% Wireless (Globe)
13. PetSafe Wireless Fence
- Easy to set up
- Simple to use
- You can use different types of collars with this pet fence
- Rechargeable with emergency battery back up
- You can set the boundary for your dog to stay away from
- Works great on both long and short haired dogs
- Some products are reported to expire earlier
- Some of the collars may stop functioning after some time
- Collars may have product defects
- This product may be too expensive for some people’s liking
This Humane Containment System is designed for small dogs and cats weighing up to 30 lbs. With this product, your pets can enjoy a virtually limitless freedom of movement for an altogether confident and vigorous life.
This wireless containment system includes a small, lightweight, weather resistant module which is fairly easy to install. It can be affixed to a wall or a standard fence using screws, making it easy for you to set up on your property.
This wireless fencing system also comes with a powerful handheld transmitter which can utilize a variety of pet training collars. This transmitter includes a rechargeable NiMH battery which can be switched out in case of the need arises.
14. KoolKani Remote Dog Training Shock Collar & Underground/in-Ground Electronic Dog Containment Fence System Combo
There’s a lot to love about this affordable option. The waterproof and washable collar is a big plus for active dogs who are always in the mud. It’s not only easy to clean, but it’s lightweight. You can easily fit it on your dog with one hand. Regardless of whether your dog is large or small, it has four adjustable straps to choose from.
It’s also very easy to put on your dog without the additional difficulty of threading a leash through the collar. A lot of other electric collars, you’ll usually find the leash attached to the collar, but not in this case.
Additionally, the harness comes in three different sizes: small, medium, and large. While the collar in only one size. However, there’s a guide of the weight recommendations for each collar size. A plus, especially if you have a mixed breed.
15. High Tech Pet Electronic Pet Containment Systems
When it comes to pet containment systems at an affordable price point, this one really delivers.
High Tech Pet offers a comprehensive solution for families who are looking for a no-fault approach to owning a pup. The company prides themselves in creating a pet barrier that takes into consideration the needs of the humans and the pets.
The system is a part of the ‘A Pet’s Friend’ product line that comes with two wireless units and a barrier. The company states that it’s perfectly safe for dogs and cats. However, we recommend that you check with your vet before using.
16. Perimeter Technologies Perimeter Wire-free Wifi Dog Fence Receiver Collar
Perimeter Technologies takes an innovative new approach to dog fences. Using Wifi to connect to a smartphone app, the system offers a simple, forget-it-and-forget-about-it kind of interface.
This takes away the need for ongoing human interaction and the need for a difficult installation process.
While not as effective as conventional dog fences, they’re significantly less expensive and allow you to train your pooch to stay in the yard on their own.
17. PetPi Wireless Dog Fence Containment System
- Provides up to a 1/2 acre range
- Active anti-burrowing feature
- Small base station design
- Flexible containing options
- Waterproof, freezes at -5C
- Easy setup and training
- Battery is rechargeable but not replaceable
- A bit pricey
- Low battery indicator is not loud enough
Our top pick goes to the PetPi system. It comes with a 500m radius, is waterproof, and has an auto-shutoff feature. While it’s not exactly cheap, this is still one of the best kits in the market.
More importantly, it’s quite reliable in terms of accuracy considering the number of features it comes with. There are 16 levels of static correction and it has a built-in anti-burrowing feature.
Setting it up on your yard is super easy, and you can begin training your dog to control its behavior after some 10-15 minutes. You can even teach it a high-frequency beeping sound to tell when it’s leaving its boundaries.
18. PetSafe Elite Little Dog In-Ground Fence
Provides two levels of correction: “Beep” to get your dog’s attention, and then a shock if the dog continues to not listen to commands
The collar can be placed on a dog from 6 lbs. to 25 lbs.
The collar is waterproof, and the charge lasts up to 2 weeks.
19. CarePetMost Wireless Electric Dog Fence System Outdoor Invisible Wireless Dog Fence Containment System 550YD Remote Control
- Great for all breeds of dogs; from the smallest Chihuahua to the largest Great Dane
- Super easy to setup for both you and your dog; you can have it up and running within 15 minutes
- Affordable and high quality
- Perfect if you have a large yard
- Waterproof – can be used indoors, outdoors, and even in the yard
- 3 modes – static, vibration, and beep
- Can control multiple receivers with one remote
- You can adjust the sensitivity and the boundary width
- Lasts up to 6 months on one charge
- Can be used without the receiver collar on large dogs
- Not super sensitive, you’ll get a warning beep before your dog gets shocked
- Can be a bit tough to install
- The buttons can be a tad finicky
- The instructions are a bit confusing
When it comes to wireless dog fence reviews, the CarePetMost Wireless Electric Dog Fence System is one of the best options out there.
20. PetPi Wireless Dog Fence
- High quality control
- Comes with a collar that adjusts to your dogs neck size – perfect for an active dog
- Low maintenance dog fence
- Easy to train
- Kit is guaranteed for 5 years
- There’s an available smartphone app for more accurate control
- May not work for large dogs
- The collar is a bit bulky and may not fit in all dogs’ fur
Fence technology has evolved over the years and is more reliable than ever before. This Fence training system can be used indoor or outdoor and comes in two sizes for small and large dogs. The batteries are rechargeable and last for a few days. This is great because you don’t have to worry about changing the batteries.
We really like the fact that this wireless dog fence comes with a training collar which is completely adjustable. This is ideal for active dogs and can be worn on the inside of your dog’s fur to hide it in case you don’t want to ruin the aesthetic appeal of a dog collar.
21. Hidden Underground Electric Dog Fence
- Easy installation – The system is simple to set up and install.
- Well-made: The transmitter is durable and comes with high-quality parts, including a rechargeable lithium-ion battery that lasts up to 10 days on a full charge.
- Pets can have maximum freedom: The transmitter allows pets to play and explore outdoors safely and at will.
- Low battery indication: The system beeps and flashes a red light when the battery is low.
- No false alarms – 1,000 feet protection radius – The system is designed to monitor dogs in real time, so it will only give warnings when appropriate.
- Customizable collars: The system comes with 4 irreplaceable collars and 4 rings. The company offers replacements at reasonable prices.
- Waterproof collar receiver: There are no chemicals involved, so the receiver is waterproof.
- Long-lasting: The system is designed to offer full protection for up to 10 acres.
- Advantages of the collar offer including audio tone, vibration tone, and electrical shock to provide a gentle yet immediate warning to dogs. The product is ideal for training dogs and is pet- and owner-friendly.
- Advantage of the containment system is it makes it easy to keep dogs from running away from home.
22. Dr.Tiger 1 Receiver Electric Dog Fence
Dr. Tiger’s Wireless containment system is one of the most popular dog fence systems on Amazon.
The containment collar has a range of up to 1000 feet and has five levels of static stimulation.
There’s also a warning tone feature so your dog can learn what the warning sound means.
23. RUFF Wireless Pet Containment System
- Waterproof collar and remote control
- Magnetic boundary line makes it convenient for repositioning or expanding your boundary
- Rechargeable and easy to clean
- Features a long-lasting battery that will last a long time, even if your dog tugs on it
- Gives you freedom from having to pull or dig up or cut up the wire fencing
- Pet-proof design
- The rechargeable battery does not last long in cold weather conditions
- The boundary line has to be connected to the collar
- Collar has a 0.3/k and 0.68/k correction levels
- Rechargeable battery doesn’t last long if your dog wears it for extended periods of time
- Limited coverage area
24. Simple Pet Wireless Electric Dog Fence
- 2 mile range (with walls)
- Waterproof receiver collar
- Alerts you when collar gets wet, when the battery is low, and when your pet gets out
- No electric shocks
- Only works on dogs
- You have the option of buying a wired collar or a rechargeable metal prongs collar
- You only pay for shipping once if you choose to replace your collar or receiver
- Comes with a lifetime warranty (excluding the antenna and prongs)
Overall, this product really works and is preferred by many people, including dog trainers. The price is similar to collar you will find at your local pet store, but this brand is dependable and their customer service is great.
25. Wireless Pet Fence
26. WXLAA Wireless Electric Pet Fence Containment 2 Dog System Waterproof Transmitter Collar
If you’re looking for an affordable wireless dog fence, then the WXLAA Wireless Electric Pet Fence Containment 2 Dog System Waterproof Transmitter Collar Dock Receiver is one option to consider.
This wireless dog fence comes with a controller and a receiver collar. It’s designed to be waterproof, but we’re not sure if that includes the storage port.
Overall, the product performs as advertised. It does exactly what it says it’ll do. Most people are pleased with the performance of the wireless dog fence transmitter.
27. 1 Dog Wireless Pet Containment System
Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ)
What is the best wireless fence for dogs?
Is there a more important product than the best wireless fence for dogs?
When you think about it, the dog either has to be leashed or in a fence. There is no in-between. The safest way for a dog to run freely is a secured fence. You can set constraints with the fence, allow the dog to run around your yard or completely frees them to back yard.
A wired fence is the most popular choice and usually less expensive than a wireless one. However, if you consider the options and factor in the maintenance and upkeep that wired fencing requires you may want to consider a wireless fence.
The best wireless fence for dogs is one that blocks your dog from the dangers of the road. The fence will keep your dog safely in the yard, while remaining mobile.
Do wireless dog fences really work?
The short answer is yes. Wireless dog fences do work. There are many different types of wireless fences and choosing the correct one can make or break whether or not you are successful with the fence.
The collar attaches to your dog using a strap and the collar is powered by a battery. Some fences have 2 receivers and you just attach the collar to one dog, some fences have a single receiver that allows multiple collars.
The receiver collar has a battery and a small antenna. The antenna picks up a signal from the signal transmitter which sends the signal wirelessly to the collar. The signal hits the antenna, the antenna acts like an switch to turn the collar on and off.
The collar is designed to give a sharp shock when the dog reaches a boundary line. Just as you might get shocked if you touch something and it was electrified.
What is the best fence for dogs?
There is no single best dog fence available for every dog because every dog is different, and so is every yard. But no worries! There should be a fence that suits the needs of the dog and the needs of the owner.
The best wireless dog fence is the one that suits your needs.
People use dog fencing to contain their dog for many different reasons, like keeping the dog safe, keeping the dog from running away, keeping the dog from digging, keeping the dog from straying over its boundary and more.
It's even totally fine if you want to limit the area that your dog can roam freely.
One key thing to remember when using a dog fence is that it should be a method.
Never ever, ever tie a dog outside of a fence.
What is the largest wireless pet containment system?
The Hidden Fence Galaxy 1000 is touted as the largest wireless system with a coverage area of 100 acres.
For a less expensive product, the PetSafe Stay + Play Wireless Fence comes in a close second with a large coverage area of over half an acre.
The latest addition to the market is the PetSafe YardMax Wireless Pet Containment System (AC Power) that features a long range of 1,500 feet on a dead battery and 600 feet while charging. Our latest test results show that the stated range is possible.
|SportDOG Brand In-Ground Fence Systems||Best Overall|
|PetSafe Indoor Radio Fence||Budget Pick|
|PetSafe Stay & Play Wireless Fence||Upgrade Pick|